CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeCocky2001
gotrice?
2k15
Ace Dilcock
ShutTheSuccop
6pack
STR82HELL
GuyInTheGreenHouse
TAFC 5 1981
GamecockSuperFan
2018 WBB - Cate Rees (420)
Michigander can't wa (378)
Darius Rucker Gets S (289)
2019 - Akeem Dent (249)
2019 - Jeremiah Payt (230)
Chris Pine's New Rol (167)
Game #1 USC (24-15) (104)
Muschamp: Only going to
*** 2017 Carolina Panther
Game #1 USC (24-15) vs. K
2018 - Jaycee Horn
2017 Signee - Davonne Bow
2018 - Tyler Shough
Greatest Pro to never win
NFL Draft 2017
Who starts at cornerback?
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti

Old 01-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101850400
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default *** 2017 Carolina Panthers off season / draft / season thread ***

With 2017 here now and our season over with it is out with the old and in with the new.

First order of business looks to be replacing Sean McDermott who looks to be signing a deal to become the HC of the Bills.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material
Default Re: *** 2017 Carolina Panthers off season / draft / season thread ***

Our window closed.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
G&BGamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&BGamecock is crowing loudlyG&BGamecock is crowing loudlyG&BGamecock is crowing loudlyG&BGamecock is crowing loudlyG&BGamecock is crowing loudlyG&BGamecock is crowing loudlyG&BGamecock is crowing loudlyG&BGamecock is crowing loudlyG&BGamecock is crowing loudlyG&BGamecock is crowing loudlyG&BGamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyDevil View Post
Our window closed.
Window definitely didn't close. Regressed this year, sure, but the state of the NFL isn't that great in terms of dominant teams. We lost 6 games by 3 points or less, so it's not like this team just got boat raced all year. Also dealt with some big time injury issues this year (i.e. OL was decimated). We are still young at key spots on both sides of the ball (QB, WR, DT, LB, DB). Definitely have some obvious flaws to fix (OT, DE). Hopefully the young corners continue to progress because they looked better towards the end of the year. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Stewart. He's hitting the age when RBs typically start going downhill, not to mention the injury history. Have plenty of cap space this year - hopefully Gettleman and Rivera use it to lock up some guys and improve the team. I think this year will end up being a good reality check for Cam and hopefully he comes into 2017 with some fire to get back to the MVP level.
G&BGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&BGamecock View Post
Window definitely didn't close. Regressed this year, sure, but the state of the NFL isn't that great in terms of dominant teams. We lost 6 games by 3 points or less, so it's not like this team just got boat raced all year. Also dealt with some big time injury issues this year (i.e. OL was decimated). We are still young at key spots on both sides of the ball (QB, WR, DT, LB, DB). Definitely have some obvious flaws to fix (OT, DE). Hopefully the young corners continue to progress because they looked better towards the end of the year. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Stewart. He's hitting the age when RBs typically start going downhill, not to mention the injury history. Have plenty of cap space this year - hopefully Gettleman and Rivera use it to lock up some guys and improve the team. I think this year will end up being a good reality check for Cam and hopefully he comes into 2017 with some fire to get back to the MVP level.
We've got cap space, but we also have to resign Short, which is going to cost us about 18 mil or so alone.

Remmers, Ginn, Whittaker, Johnson, and Addison are all the other key component FAs that we either need to resign or replace. Johnson may retire and I think Addison is going to get a significantly salary bump to where he's not all that wise of a choice to resign. Maybe the same for Whittaker.

The free agent market looks like absolute garbage this year, which isn't good news for teams with obvious holes like us.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
HCIW
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 27057848
HCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot material

^ HA! Remmers! I hope not. I think he's still walking back from Tampa.
HCIW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCIW View Post
^ HA! Remmers! I hope not. I think he's still walking back from Tampa.
The problem is that there aren't really any names that could potentially be on the market that are any better. Unless we want to pay double for Gosder Cherilus.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
GoldenSpur7
obscurum per obscurius

Male

CockyCash: 200
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&BGamecock View Post
Bold: yes, lost a bunch of games late, including 3 against the AFCW that could have been victories. But that's largely because our D was terrible in the fourth quarter.

The situation at LT was bad enough, but when Kalil gets hurt, that's nothing but bad for the Panther's chances. Probably the 2nd-most important offensive player behind Cam.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
cockinraleigh
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 78700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Are we going to stick with Shula? I think he's good at game planning. We come out the gate strong most of the time. But around the 3rd quarter it's almost like he runs out of plays or something? Then we 3 and out a couple times and the other team comes back.

FWIW, I heard Mick Mixon on local radio up here a week ago. Per RR, they are going to change the offense this offseason. Sounds like we're going to go to more of a short/intermediate game instead of the deep drop backs and shot plays that we usually run. More west coast offense. He said Cam is on board with it and excited. We'll see if this is true or not.
cockinraleigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:19 PM   #9
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockinraleigh View Post
Are we going to stick with Shula? I think he's good at game planning. We come out the gate strong most of the time. But around the 3rd quarter it's almost like he runs out of plays or something? Then we 3 and out a couple times and the other team comes back.

FWIW, I heard Mick Mixon on local radio up here a week ago. Per RR, they are going to change the offense this offseason. Sounds like we're going to go to more of a short/intermediate game instead of the deep drop backs and shot plays that we usually run. More west coast offense. He said Cam is on board with it and excited. We'll see if this is true or not.
I really hope we tweak the offense a bit. I think it will really do Cam and the entire offense well to make the change.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:37 PM   #10
GoldenSpur7
obscurum per obscurius

Male

CockyCash: 200
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Yeah, McDermott to Buffalo is a done thing: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...new-head-coach
Old 01-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #11
cockinraleigh
1st Team All-SEC

Male

cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
I really hope we tweak the offense a bit. I think it will really do Cam and the entire offense well to make the change.
I hope we tweak the offense as well. However, I hope we don't do a complete overhaul. With all the oline issues this past year, we shouldn't have relied on the deep passing game as much as we tried. But, if we can solidify the oline we have to keep some of the deep game in our arsenal because we do it so well when Cam has time.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #12
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
I hope we tweak the offense as well. However, I hope we don't do a complete overhaul. With all the oline issues this past year, we shouldn't have relied on the deep passing game as much as we tried. But, if we can solidify the oline we have to keep some of the deep game in our arsenal because we do it so well when Cam has time.
Need to address the O line early in the draft and also get us a RB. I saw a mock where we get Deonte Foreman out of TX in round 5 or so. He is a bigger back with adequate speed who averaged something like 180 yds per game.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #13
cockinraleigh
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Need to address the O line early in the draft and also get us a RB. I saw a mock where we get Deonte Foreman out of TX in round 5 or so. He is a bigger back with adequate speed who averaged something like 180 yds per game.
I'm all for a RB late or in free agency. I will be freaking irate if they try to get Fournette in round 1.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #14
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
I'm all for a RB late or in free agency. I will be freaking irate if they try to get Fournette in round 1.
So will a lot of fans. That would be about as dumb a decision as I can imagine.

I really can't see Gettleman doing that though as he built the Giants into SB winners by focusing on the trenches.

Last edited by Cockypantherfan; 01-12-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Old 01-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #15
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

CockyCash: 500
USCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Our window closed.

Where is the sun shine pumper I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USCooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #16
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCooper1 View Post
Where is the sun shine pumper I know?

I don't think you know what that word means.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #17
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

USCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I don't think you know what that word means.

Not sure why you care. 6-10 is just fine with you.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #18
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCooper1 View Post
Not sure why you care. 6-10 is just fine with you.

Not sure why you're talking to me. I don't like you. If you want to talk about the Panthers, do it. Otherwise, get out of the Panthers thread.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #19
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

Quote:
Not sure why you're talking to me. I don't like you. If you want to talk about the Panthers, do it.

Glad to hear that I don't like people who think losing is ok.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #20
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

Quote:

Exactly. They can find a back in the later rounds. Speed rushing DE and OL are MUCH MUCH bigger issues.