CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
kick_ball
MountainCock
SwampFox
Spur's Addiction
GoldenSpur7
RGHoskins
AndersonCock
Three and Out
AR1
USC Bowl pick plus a (570)
Mike Ayers Retires (441)
2019 Desmond Little (401)
2020 - Kevin Swint (373)
CHRISTMAS MUSIC THRE (224)
Official Gamecock Ta (199)
OK...the RRHoF is ju (167)
This place has been (97)
Gamecock Authentic L (25)
2019 - Quavaris Crouch
2018 Commitment - Bryce T
2018 - KJ Henry
2018 - Jaycee Horn
VERY interesting. ESPN p
2018 - Rashod Bateman
2018 - Dylan Wonnum
Bentley Offensive Philoso
2018 - Channing Tindall
Thoughs On Men's BB At Ex

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #841
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11267
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 - Xavier Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Again it doesn't all come down to that. Maybe he wants to come here and be the story of what turns the defense around instead of being just another piece of the Clemson puzzle. Maybe he likes the coaches here more. Maybe he likes the idea of going to school in a city instead of out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe Josh Belk or one of those other big DL guys in that class chooses us and he can see that he won't be the only good player on the line. Maybe he's sold on the turnaround a lot of the defensive players had this year that were invisible last year and he realizes the quality of coaches we have now that we were missing before. Maybe he just wants to play in the SEC. Any one of these things or countless others could sway him to come here over Clemson.

Clemson got a commitment out of Robert Nkemdiche and at the end of the day he still ended up at Ole Miss. Ole miss was coming off an 8 win season and a 7 win season the year before that. Clemson was coming off back to back 11 win seasons and a BCS bowl win against Ohio State. Obviously there were other factors at play that aren't involved in the XT situation, I'm just trying to make a point that there is more that goes into this than which team is better, even in situations where a recruit has felt strongly enough to commit to a school at some point.
Based on what people are saying about team success being an important factor, we should be kicking Clemson's ass, courtesy of the five-peat with double digit wins.

But while we were doing that, Clemson was attracting enough talent to pass us. So it ain't just about on the field success. Clemson's offense was always attractive to WRs and QBs, and a some point they got enough talent on the defensive side to start winning games.

But Clemson is still not an elite D, despite our game. Bama is not a high-powered O and they got 31. Louisville, Pitt, NC State, FSU and even Troy had success against Clemson's D. Clemson just had enough on offense to overcome the poor Defensive effort, except the Pitt game.

I like our D, but where Clemson has an edge is with the pass rush. Part of that is because they play a lot more man coverage and do a lot of blitzers. But they also get a better pass rush from the D Line. X can correct that.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #842
CapitolCock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Based on what people are saying about team success being an important factor, we should be kicking Clemson's ass, courtesy of the five-peat with double digit wins.

But while we were doing that, Clemson was attracting enough talent to pass us. So it ain't just about on the field success. Clemson's offense was always attractive to WRs and QBs, and a some point they got enough talent on the defensive side to start winning games.

But Clemson is still not an elite D, despite our game. Bama is not a high-powered O and they got 31. Louisville, Pitt, NC State, FSU and even Troy had success against Clemson's D. Clemson just had enough on offense to overcome the poor Defensive effort, except the Pitt game.

I like our D, but where Clemson has an edge is with the pass rush. Part of that is because they play a lot more man coverage and do a lot of blitzers. But they also get a better pass rush from the D Line. X can correct that.
I mean, when you have the athletes that can stay with high-quality WRs, you can afford to send a few extra guys on a pass rush because you can actually trust your secondary.

We will get the athletes in the secondary. That's not a concern. Our defense will be fine. Maybe not immediately, but they will get there. What we need is an OL that can give Bentley time and create space for our backs.

For the last few years, we have had TEs that I would consider to be "athletic" type that run routes and make catches in open space. I don't think we will really need that anymore considering the talent/depth we will have at WR. We really need TEs that understand downfield blocking. I got so frustrated at the number of missed blocks from Hurst downfield that cut a potentially large gain down to a 2-3 yard gain.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #843
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2000000500
duff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevengeoftheCOCK View Post
So once again you know why he made the decision, you have spoken to him on this matter? Xavier has a year before he signs a LOI and a ton of things will go through his brain to effect him making that decision or the decision could be made and he is just along for the ride for a year, you nor I nor anyone else knows! I hope he becomes a GAMECOCK and I will be his biggest fan but if he does not I will wish him luck and I will be someone else's biggest fan but I will always pull for kids from SC no matter whom they play as it is a sense of pride for my hometown and state!
Uhhhh, no, not sure where you got that from my post. Just saying that people make emotional decisions and rational ones. Sometimes those intersect, sometimes they don't. I have no clue what XT will do or is thinking, but clearly you are getting very emotional with your posts....
Old 01-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #844
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:

I believe they've been top 20 nationally each of the last 3 years on defense with 2 of those 3 being in the top 10 and one of those years being #1 overall. They've been putting together some elite units and sending lots of players to the NFL on that side of the ball.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #845
garnet&black1998rn
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 800
garnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Gamecock View Post
He's done everything but beg(wait he's even did that ) to be the next QB at Clemson. Clemson getting Trevor Lawrence showed him, he be a WR at best,maybe a DB at Clemson.
anyone else smell tater shite?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #846
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29753100
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:

They have a very good defense, and lots of talent coming in and coming back.

We didn't have a single player on our defense this year who would've started there. In fact, I'm not sure we even had a defensive player who would've cracked their two deep, and may not' even have cracked the three deep.

It goes beyond talent. Their guys played with heart and fire. Our guys run their mouths, then complain when someone calls them a naughty name.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #847
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 6200
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
If this young man signed today he would be a clemson tiger. Luckily we have some time. This him being a fan talk is nice but any goodwill USC had built up with X is long gone. This is a business decision for him and everything the clemson staff has been telling him has come to fruition. The entire playoffs were like a recruiting pitch for Xavier with the talk of their d-line. Best case scenario is USC has a strong season next year and clemson takes a few steps back.
You are 100% wrong. IF he had to sign today, it would be with the Gamecocks. He is still open, but the Gamecocks lead right now. I am not giving you my opinion. I am giving you facts from those closest to him. Not what I read on the internet, but what I know firsthand.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #848
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

CockyCash: 3000
Absfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPit

If one is a Gamecock fan growing up... one would think Clemson would be the last destination on this earth one would end up.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #849
AtlantaSportsGuy
Recruiting Aficionado

Male

CockyCash: 50550
AtlantaSportsGuy rules the CockPitAtlantaSportsGuy rules the CockPitAtlantaSportsGuy rules the CockPitAtlantaSportsGuy rules the CockPitAtlantaSportsGuy rules the CockPitAtlantaSportsGuy rules the CockPitAtlantaSportsGuy rules the CockPitAtlantaSportsGuy rules the CockPitAtlantaSportsGuy rules the CockPitAtlantaSportsGuy rules the CockPitAtlantaSportsGuy rules the CockPit

Gamecocks still lead.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #850
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absfract View Post
If one is a Gamecock fan growing up... one would think Clemson would be the last destination on this earth one would end up.
Wasn't Mike Williams a Gamecock fan? You have that edge, but if you don't recruit them, they will most likely head elsewhere, even to a rivals school. Why I say if he is a Gamecock fan, with this recruiting staff, i'm 99.99% sure XT will be a Gamecock next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsGuy View Post
Gamecocks still lead.
Thanks for the update ASG!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #851
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I believe they've been top 20 nationally each of the last 3 years on defense with 2 of those 3 being in the top 10 and one of those years being #1 overall. They've been putting together some elite units and sending lots of players to the NFL on that side of the ball.
I am not saying their D is no good, just that it is not all that. They have talent and a scheme that allows them to be very effective, especially early in games before the Offense can adjust. And they pad their stats against teams with anemic offenses like BC, Syracuse, SC State. And us, this year.

They play man coverage, jump the short routes, and send the house, with blitzers coming from different angles and locations. It works gangbusters against the run and the pass, resulting in TFLs and sacks. But you can beat it - as Louisville, Pitt and even Alabama (at times) did. You have to be able to:
  • Have a running QB that can avoid the initial push - if that happens, he either has a lot of room to run, or wide open WRs that beat their man coverage with a second move.
  • Have a QB that can make accurate, quick throws and WRs that can make plays against single coverage (an experienced QB helps).
  • Have a really good O Line, plus have RBs and TEs that block well and can pick up blitzers. If you have time to go through progressions, there will be side open WRs (single coverage).

Our O line had issues, we had a non-running, inexperienced Freshman QB - on the road - who kept trying to go through progressions rather than let it go, we had a shortage of talented WRs, and we had RBs and TEs that were not particularly good at blocking. All a recipe for disaster against Clemson. A year earlier, with a more experienced QB, we actually had our best offensive output of the year.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #852
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
RevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post

We didn't have a single player on our defense this year who would've started there. In fact, I'm not sure we even had a defensive player who would've cracked their two deep, and may not' even have cracked the three deep.

It goes beyond talent. Their guys played with heart and fire. Our guys run their mouths, then complain when someone calls them a naughty name.
How is that not bashing our entire defense while celebrating the defense of our rival in a recruiting forum for one of the elite defenders in our state, WOW! As a GAMECOCK fan if you feel that way, why would you write that in this forum? I would argue it but this forum is for Xavier Thomas, wow just wow! I think XT would fit well with the young talent we have and that BAW could start, Skai Moore could start and Darius English but it is futile to say something like that and futile to debate it as it is impossible to find out!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #853
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
I am not saying their D is no good, just that it is not all that. They have talent and a scheme that allows them to be very effective, especially early in games before the Offense can adjust. And they pad their stats against teams with anemic offenses like BC, Syracuse, SC State. And us, this year.

They play man coverage, jump the short routes, and send the house, with blitzers coming from different angles and locations. It works gangbusters against the run and the pass, resulting in TFLs and sacks. But you can beat it - as Louisville, Pitt and even Alabama (at times) did. You have to be able to:
  • Have a running QB that can avoid the initial push - if that happens, he either has a lot of room to run, or wide open WRs that beat their man coverage with a second move.
  • Have a QB that can make accurate, quick throws and WRs that can make plays against single coverage (an experienced QB helps).
  • Have a really good O Line, plus have RBs and TEs that block well and can pick up blitzers. If you have time to go through progressions, there will be side open WRs (single coverage).

Our O line had issues, we had a non-running, inexperienced Freshman QB - on the road - who kept trying to go through progressions rather than let it go, we had a shortage of talented WRs, and we had RBs and TEs that were not particularly good at blocking. All a recipe for disaster against Clemson. A year earlier, with a more experienced QB, we actually had our best offensive output of the year.
I get what you're saying but every defense, even elite ones have ways to be beaten. I didn't say Clemson's D was Bama's level but it was that next tier down and the tiers currently go Bama, lots of space, the rest of the elite defenses in college football.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #854
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
How is that not bashing our entire defense while celebrating the defense of our rival in a recruiting forum for one of the elite defenders in our state, WOW! As a GAMECOCK fan if you feel that way, why would you write that in this forum? I would argue it but this forum is for Xavier Thomas, wow just wow! I think XT would fit well with the young talent we have and that BAW could start, Skai Moore could start and Darius English but it is futile to say something like that and futile to debate it as it is impossible to find out!
BAW would probably be able to land 1 LB spot and King or Lammons would be able to take the #2 CB spot opposite of Tankersly. Skai started zero games for us this year so he can't go on this list. English plays Ferrell's spot, no way he starts over Ferrell. Realistically we have 2 guys that would have been able to take starting jobs from Clemson's D and the rest of the positions have a pretty big gap. Fortunately it's not going to remain that way because Muschamp is going to seriously upgrade the talent here and a big part of that is going to hopefully be XT, Belk, and Sandidge.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #855
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

RevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his claws

Quote:
BAW would probably be able to land 1 LB spot and King or Lammons would be able to take the #2 CB spot opposite of Tankersly. Skai started zero games for us this year so he can't go on this list. English plays Ferrell's spot, no way he starts over Ferrell. Realistically we have 2 guys that would have been able to take starting jobs from Clemson's D and the rest of the positions have a pretty big gap. Fortunately it's not going to remain that way because Muschamp is going to seriously upgrade the talent here and a big part of that is going to hopefully be XT, Belk, and Sandidge.
It is futile to debate as I wrote, put those guys in that system, practicing with that team and you have no idea how it shakes out. We can all have an opinion but to put it out in this forum is just wrong IMO! I mentioned English as someone who would no doubt crack the 2 deep as in his post we would not have a defender crack the 3 deep.

I completely agree with the last statement and hard not to agree with the entire post! XT would go loooooong way in shoring up our DLine and helping our secondary!
Old 01-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #856
Coondog
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
How is pointing out the obvious bashing our defense? They were bad plain and simple but for the talent that Muschamp inherited they probably over achieved. Muschamp said plain and simple that we need more speed and playmakers on defense. He said flat out LINEMAN NEEDED!!! He said that he is going to have to recruit better and faster players. Most people would see that as a message to XT and recruits on just how bad we need him and other players of his caliber. BAW was the best player we had on defense and I doubt that he would be any more then a backup on Clemson's defense. English had a good year but nothing like Clemson's DE's.

But your right about one thing, it is futile to debate anything with you.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #857
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
How is pointing out the obvious bashing our defense? They were bad plain and simple but for the talent that Muschamp inherited they probably over achieved. Muschamp said plain and simple that we need more speed and playmakers on defense. He said flat out LINEMAN NEEDED!!! He said that he is going to have to recruit better and faster players. Most people would see that as a message to XT and recruits on just how bad we need him and other players of his caliber. BAW was the best player we had on defense and I doubt that he would be any more then a backup on Clemson's defense. English had a good year but nothing like Clemson's DE's.

But your right about one thing, it is futile to debate anything with you.
So you don't think this is bashing and it is just pointing out the obvious? Only one player on clemsux's defense had more sacks than English and they play in the acc.
Pitchcock "Our guys run their mouths, then complain when someone calls them a naughty name."

Last edited by RevengeoftheCOCK; 01-11-2017 at 04:44 PM..
Old 01-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #858
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Ferrell is a Freshman that did not start playing well until late in the season - by that time, English already had a bunch of sacks. Wilkins is a really good DT but very slow for a DE - if Clemson had anyone else able to play after Bryant went down, Wilkins would have stayed at DT. There was a play in the Alabama game where the QB got outside on Wilkins and he could have walked past Wilkins and gotten big yardage.

In other words - Clemson's starting DEs early in the season would have been English and Qua Lewis, with Sawyer ahead of whoever they had for the strong side.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #859
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post

I realize that you are a troll, but that is ignorant even for a troll. You are confusing "heart and fire" with scheme. I guarantee you that our guys played hard - if they did not, Boom would have jerked them in a heartbeat and put someone else out there. Clemson plays a totally different scheme - an aggressive, blitzing scheme for Clemson and a more conservative containment/keep the players in front scheme for South Carolina. Both were effective at times, so it is not a night and day situation in terms of talent or success.

Clemson's D may have kicked our ass with our young skill guys, but they gave up a lot of points and yards to the likes of Pitt, FSU, Louisville, Alabama. We had a number of guys that could have played in the two deep and even started.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #860
sully1
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudly

Thread has gotten off topic IMO. I do agree that touting CU right now isn't exactly the best thing to do on a Gamecock recruiting forum.

Truth is, CU has a good defense. Hope is, Muschamp is going to have ours just as good or better really soon. Truth is, if you are a good player and want a better opportunity at early playing time you should choose USC over CU.
Closed Thread