CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Ironfan
Ahmad
Blitzkrieg
SanAntonioCock
Captain9Dragons
GuyInTheGreenHouse
rioninusc
boness
M.C.
Cockhornleghorn
Top 10 DL and WR cla (702)
Not Ranked (473)
Thoughts after 1 ser (433)
247sports ranks Sout (379)
2018 - Darnell Jeffe (372)
What a horrible week (322)
IYO, What # of wins (309)
Debbie Reynolds tamb (193)
Kiss of Death on the (171)
Squirting cucumber (100)
Way too early 2017 season
Kiss of Death on the Road
Slow your roll and calm t
**USC Women (22-3) vs. Mi
Past Gamecock Football Pl
2018 - Xavier Thomas
2018 - Zamir "Zeus&q
Scalpers
MBB Bracketology
2018 - Darnell Jefferies

Old 01-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #41
StratoCockster
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
StratoCockster is learning to peckStratoCockster is learning to peck
Default Re: Branding

Use this/these everywhere possible:

StratoCockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #42
pitchcock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29776300
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
3. Commitment and possibly re-evaluating the logo. Clemson did this and now their tiger paw and orange is one of the most recognizable college logos. Simple. Direct. Clear. For most of my life until I got into college, I didn't know what the hell I was looking at with USC.

6. Update the stadium. More vendors, more flash and style inside. A DJ. Better sounds system. It should feel and sound like a party in there, not a louder high school production.
A consistent logo would help to an extent. Right now, the football team, basketball team, and baseball team are all on different pages with different logos.

I also agree with updating the stadium. I can guarantee if you poll people, the two biggest gripes you'll consistently hear are bad bathrooms and doodoo ice.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #43
pitchcock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29776300
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobinski View Post

The university STILL finding ways to keep athletes from enrolling after clearing both NCAA and SEC requirements.
If a player initially meets SEC and NCAA requirements, then is later found to be in violation, the team suffers and is punished for playing an ineligible player.

Doesn't seem fair, but that's reality. Without mentioning the player's name, a guy was all set to enroll a couple of years ago and was turned away very late because of concerns of academic fraud.

If he'd enrolled and played, we could've forfeited every game he played in.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #44
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Branding has nothing to do with who makes our uniforms.
It has everything to do with it, especially in basketball. Kids, players, etc. want Nike gear, because they're the industry leader and top innovator. All four football playoff schools wear Nike gear. Putting a swoosh on your uniforms doesn't mean you'll automatically win games, of course, but it's not just a coincidence that so many top college programs are Nike. Auburn is the only non-Nike national champion I can think of going back 10+ years. Why would you NOT want to be part of Nike's portfolio?

Last edited by Spurz; 01-11-2017 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: G
Spurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #45
Emery
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
A consistent logo would help to an extent. Right now, the football team, basketball team, and baseball team are all on different pages with different logos.

I also agree with updating the stadium. I can guarantee if you poll people, the two biggest gripes you'll consistently hear are bad bathrooms and doodoo ice.
I honestly think the next big thing in college football will be enhancing the gameday experience. I know the purists will whine that you're there to enjoy the game, etc., but now that I'm out of my twenties, the gameday experience is a lot better at my home than in the stadium. I go once or twice per year for the atmosphere, but I find it hard to spend the cash on season tickets and upping the gamecock club dues for what it offers.

I would want the stadium to have more of a look and feel of a NFL stadium with better, and fewer, seats.

There should also be a more multimedia approach. Live stats to your phone, replay on the phone through the USC department and not ESPN. Updates on injuries via text or something.

People may hate this, too, but the logo is a big problem and one without an easy solution. I would lean towards Virginia Tech style. Enhance the block C or the USC or something and use the mascot as a side point. A realistic looking logo, and you get what we have. Most people can't tell what the hell it is. Any simpler, it looks like a cartoon and a joke. The wrap around they tried looked like it belonged on a Tapout T-shirt. And a spur and claw is too cartoony for a helmet.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #46
scunyon
I'm here, I'm the one

Male

scunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spurs
Send a message via Yahoo to scunyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisMr X View Post
Pretty sure the interests of a teenager and a man differ a good bit.
I don't see much of Jordan, save for the shoes, on the feet of black teens. To make an assumption that being black means you like Jordan brand gear is stupid.
scunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #47
Roosterdog
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scunyon View Post
I don't see much of Jordan, save for the shoes, on the feet of black teens. To make an assumption that being black means you like Jordan brand gear is stupid.
If you don't think that young black men pay attention to such things then you are the one being stupid.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #48
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post

I laughed. lmaoooo
DorchesterGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #49
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoCockster View Post
Use this/these everywhere possible:

We need to make this script logo more of a thing in general. I would love to see us go to a more retro but cleaner logo/branding look.

I agree with an earlier poster that said something about Carolina admins/fans refusing to change things because of tradition.... but like he/she said, what tradition exactly?
DorchesterGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #50
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 900
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurz View Post
It has everything to do with it, especially in basketball. Kids, players, etc. want Nike gear, because they're the industry leader and top innovator. All four football playoff schools wear Nike gear. Putting a swoosh on your uniforms doesn't mean you'll automatically win games, of course, but it's not just a coincidence that so many top college programs are Nike. Auburn is the only non-Nike national champion I can think of going back 10+ years. Why would you NOT want to be part of Nike's portfolio?
May impact recruiting I don't deny that. BUt branding are things like Logo's Color schemes, slogan...
Old 01-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #51
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 900
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

While I like the block C logo simply because it's always been as far as I can remember. It would not bother me to change it up. There is too much going on in a small logo.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #52
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
May impact recruiting I don't deny that. BUt branding are things like Logo's Color schemes, slogan...
Right, but apparel/uniforms tie in with all that and serve as a vehicle for logos, color schemes, etc. It's an important piece of the puzzle if you want your image to be consistent and well communicated. For most people outside your university, your team's uniforms are going to be the main and perhaps only element of your brand that they see.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #53
SCgamecock9
Walk On

Male

SCgamecock9 has hatched from the shell

Remember how small the logo was on Clemmy Clem's helmets under Bowden? Remember how Dabo got there and made it larger... that was the start of the transition under him. A national identity of sorts. We definitely don't have that.
SCgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #54
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-SEC

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

I like the boom bus... now if only we could get a "boom plane" or maybe a helicopter to go visit recruits in...
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #55
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

#SpursUp has taken off, that needs to keep up. Need more of the Spur logos out there to go with it.

As far as logos, I do like the vintage one posted on page 1. I think our current cocky is a bit kidish.

I also think the Block C needs updating. Maybe a half garnet and black ala Miami or with all the logos to the baseball ones.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #56
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
#SpursUp has taken off, that needs to keep up. Need more of the Spur logos out there to go with it.
Yup, #SpursUp is an excellent start. It's fun and easy to say, it's tied to our mascot, and most importantly, it uses a hand symbol that's been around the fanbase for years. It was a great way to innovate an existing tradition. Surely there are more marketing opportunities like this to be had.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #57
Roosterdog
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

I would like to see the interlocking SC that the baseball team uses become our University-wide logo. It's sharp looking and would look good on the side of a helmet IMO. Maybe they could incorporate a Gamecock in to it somehow.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #58
wincocks84
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

I like the baseball logo as well. Didn't southern cal sue us over that? Can we still use it?
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #59
Nureye
White helmets rule

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
I would like to see the interlocking SC that the baseball team uses become our University-wide logo. It's sharp looking and would look good on the side of a helmet IMO. Maybe they could incorporate a Gamecock in to it somehow.
Isn't there a problem with trademarking it?
Old 01-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #60
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Isn't there a problem with trademarking it?

I think that was the interlocking block SC