CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Ace Dilcock
WeCocky2001
Captain9Dragons
acejrock
USCBaseball
Spur's Addiction
gotrice?
Order 66
DVCHamp
usc1
Frank Martin on Dan (1688)
Kurt Roper Looks To (1403)
"The Duke Destr (996)
John Jones (788)
There's A Difference (727)
Duke F Chase Jeter t (636)
Sam Dyson another Ch (580)
Can we offer this ma (523)
Weekend Rotation for (488)
2018 - Lavonte Valen (445)
Winthrop Coach headed to
2018 - Xavier Thomas
Hey Old Timers! How does
Weekend Rotation for Bama
2018 - Dax Hollifield
Can we offer this man a j
Frank Martin on Dan Patri
Thornwell Draft Stock
2019 - Lance Wilhoite
2018 - Channing Tindall

Old 01-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #21
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 260386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material
Default Re: How did USC/fans handle 1981?

Its kids playing sports lol, you say congrats and move on.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #22
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBrooks View Post
Its kids playing sports lol, you say congrats and move on.

Bunch of 18-22 yr olds buttin' heads....bigger fish to fry.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #23
Colatown
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Colatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot materialColatown is USC mascot material

I had mixed feelings in Jan. 82., last night I was kinda angry for a few hours. At the end of the day Taters are insufferable whether they win or lose and the internet has made that more visable.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:19 PM   #24
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 8981001
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
B*llsh*t on these answers....They F*CKING cheated and everyone knew it. PERIOD
So no different now than then correct?

There was several drives that should have ended. As well as 2 touchdowns that should not have happened at least on the plays they happened on due to illegal picks.

Anyhow If Bo never goes out Bama stops them again regardless of the refs bribery.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #25
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocknblue View Post
The NCAA was already looking into their program before the National Title run. They knew they were going to get nailed before they even left for the Orange Bowl.

Nothing like that happening now
They have had nearly 40 years to perfect the slush funds you think this one or any other they win will ever be tainted?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #26
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I think that's what makes this one legit and harder to swallow. College football is as big and competitive as it has ever been. As far as we know, Clemson didn't cheat to win this and nowhere near where they did in 1981. They not only beat the best college football team in history, they did it during what many would consider a dynasty. This is easily the greatest achievement in the history of Clemson athletics (and possibly the school) in the most competitive era in college football history. So this one, along with the day and age in which we live, does make this one harder to swallow and deal with.
Ok I am gonna disagree with you there. It's amazing to me how many games Clemson won this year because the refs extended drives for them. It takes so much focus out of a defense to stop a team that supposedly so great to be screwed by a horrible call and then turn around and have to do it again. Clemson has lived this way for as long as can remember watching their games which I must say has only been the past few years.

They have always prioritized football where as we have had decent success over just about all sports. By prioritize I mean they have done things off the books to make their football team relevant. If we have then we are either really bad at it or we don't do those things yet. I don't see any thing wrong with doing things off the books for wins considering all the other teams winning a bunch do it get caught and keep competing without missing a beat.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #27
ChickenButt
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
ChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot material

In '81 I had a Clempson fan friend who painted his room orange and collected those effing Orange Crush cans with the tater paw on them. He was as obnoxious about it as a pre-teen could get. I don't have anyone like that around me now, so it won't be as hard to deal with day-to-day, but it's still pretty damn nauseating.

Meanwhile, I'm just thankful for George Rogers giving us the one thing we can still hold over them in football (sorry Deshaun, no Heisman for you), and Ray Tanner for the back-to-back nattys in baseball. It's just too bad baseball gets about 1/10 the mindshare of football around here. It's not much at a time like this, but it's something.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #28
gamecockhub
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 11000
gamecockhub rules the CockPitgamecockhub rules the CockPitgamecockhub rules the CockPitgamecockhub rules the CockPitgamecockhub rules the CockPitgamecockhub rules the CockPitgamecockhub rules the CockPitgamecockhub rules the CockPitgamecockhub rules the CockPitgamecockhub rules the CockPitgamecockhub rules the CockPit

It sucked!
Old 01-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #29
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Steroids?
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #30
ChickenButt
4-Star

Male

ChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot materialChickenButt is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Steroids?
Nah, we tried that in '88, didn't work.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #31
Blackland
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Blackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPit

Graduated from high school in 1981, I didn't really dig the whole redneck farmer school thing so I went to Carolina when everyone else was headed to Taterville. Of course their cheating tainted the MNC and it would not surprise me if some cheating is not uncovered again. These taters are a win at any cost group, always have been. Always will be...
Old 01-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #32
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 57416
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

The unfriend button on FB was worn out yesterday.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #33
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

RevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenButt View Post
The story came out in '88, the alleged scandal was from 84 to 87 according to the SI story and Tommy Chaikin.
RevengeoftheCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #34
HCIW
I Look Like A Nug

Male

CockyCash: 27057848
HCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenButt View Post
This is from the documentary made around that time.

I miss Lattimer.
HCIW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #35
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 335
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

We reacted in 1981 the same way that we will now - like Gamecocks. Keep fighting and do something about it.

There seems to have been a malaise of complacency in the last few years. We had a good stretch that encompassed the five-peat and the three 11 win seasons, and then got a little lazy. The five-peat, meanwhile, drove Clemson to where they are now. Three straight losses, the 56-7 score and the natty should be plenty of motivation for us to work harder and get the upper hand again.

We were more than happy knowing that we were in the best conference and that the likes of Alabama would beat Clemson if they got to the title game. Now, we know that beating Clemson and keeping them down is our job - and we will get back on it.
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #36
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

RevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCIW View Post
This is from the documentary made around that time.

I miss Lattimer.
Look how old the Brice looks lol
RevengeoftheCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #37
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
We reacted in 1981 the same way that we will now - like Gamecocks. Keep fighting and do something about it.

There seems to have been a malaise of complacency in the last few years. We had a good stretch that encompassed the five-peat and the three 11 win seasons, and then got a little lazy. The five-peat, meanwhile, drove Clemson to where they are now. Three straight losses, the 56-7 score and the natty should be plenty of motivation for us to work harder and get the upper hand again.

We were more than happy knowing that we were in the best conference and that the likes of Alabama would beat Clemson if they got to the title game. Now, we know that beating Clemson and keeping them down is our job - and we will get back on it.
Too much Chicken Shi ttery going on.
I hope it makes our players sick seeing their flag on the dome.
I hope it makes them sick with a parade a block away from campus.
I hope it motivates them to shove it back in their face the next few years.
I hope it motivates them to go out, put in the work and win a national title for themselves.

Enough of this belly aching...can't change the fact they won one...but our players and coaches can keep their nose to the pavement, keep working, keep building, sign those special players when they come around (Xavier Thomas, Dakereon Joyner, Josh Belk, Derion Kendrick) and then capitalize on the opportunity.

WE know Muschamp and staff are putting in the work. Heck, if Dabo Swinney can con kids to go to a cow pasture with a mudhole, Will Muschamp can get kids to come to the Capital City, play for the Flagship University of hte state, and do something that has never been done in the history of the football program.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #38
kingofnerf
1st Team All-SEC

Male

kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

I totaled my car.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #39
xXSirSpurXx
Blue Chip

Male

xXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot material

You do have to give them credit, this was the first NC they didn't have to cheat (that we know of) to get to and win...
xXSirSpurXx is offline   Reply With Quote