CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
RGHoskins
jdaniel
Three and Out
TastyLicks
Spur's Addiction
Captain9Dragons
SanAntonioCock
AR1
Ace Dilcock
If TN runs, do they (1597)
Tennessee HC Job (1219)
Anyone see this? Whi (763)
Clemson Fight Club (550)
Waiver being sought (499)
FAVORITE COMMERCIAL (360)
Florida soccer at Da (223)
NCAAF: TENNESSEE @ A (139)
NCAAF: KENTUCKY @ MI (131)
NCAAF: SOUTHERN CAL (94)
DJ Swag pat down
Clemson Fight Club
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Deebo's return?
Waiver being sought for T
Anyone see this? White Ho
Most heated recent rivalr
Tennessee HC Job
2018 women's BB - Zariell
WBB - Te'a Cooper

Old 01-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #61
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1748
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Branding

Sad is when white people start talking about what black people like. Let that part go.

I agree with losing the Block C - it is traditional but not consistent with modern branding. Also not sure why we use the letter C anyway - why do we want to compete with UNC nationally for who is "Carolina" since they are bigger/better known for hoops? An S would make more sense, but I don't like letters at all - you already have the team name on the jersey, use a logo that is symbolic, like a stylized Gamecock (but subtle on the cockfighting influence - no prominent spurs).

We have distinctive and attractive colors, use them, with a heavy emphasis on black. Black unis with garnet lettering is killer, with a large Gamecock outlined on the helmet. And go with something flashier on the helmet, no white colors, use black with a matte or high gloss.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #62
Cockygaming
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
Cockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Sad is when white people start talking about what black people like. Let that part go.

I agree with losing the Block C - it is traditional but not consistent with modern branding. Also not sure why we use the letter C anyway - why do we want to compete with UNC nationally for who is "Carolina" since they are bigger/better known for hoops? An S would make more sense, but I don't like letters at all - you already have the team name on the jersey, use a logo that is symbolic, like a stylized Gamecock (but subtle on the cockfighting influence - no prominent spurs).

We have distinctive and attractive colors, use them, with a heavy emphasis on black. Black unis with garnet lettering is killer, with a large Gamecock outlined on the helmet. And go with something flashier on the helmet, no white colors, use black with a matte or high gloss.
To be fair, they did try a couple of new helmet designs in 2015 that were not well received. I personally liked the tail feather helmet, but wouldn't want to be known as the chickens butt haha. Maybe something like that, but with the roosters head or something.
Cockygaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #63
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Branding...go with the national chammpionship program...put the interlocking SC the baseball team uses.
That logo is equated with success.

1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #64
GamecockSuperFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 666
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
There is nothing apart from winning games, with perhaps maybe the exception of hiring a brand name coach. We did that with our previous 2 hires in Holtz and Spurrier. Muschamp isn't a brand name coach, though he is a coach whose name is well-known. He doesn't have a winning coaching background yet.

Aside from that, all you can do is win games. Once you start winning games, there are things you can do, but until you start winning, winning often and winning big, nothing else matters.

We were on the verge when we were winning and had nationally recognized players with Clowney and Lattimore. That was the best foundation we've ever had to build a brand, but we didn't build on it.

so are you saying we need to win games?
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #65
GamecockSuperFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 666
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Branding...go with the national chammpionship program...put the interlocking SC the baseball team uses.

I like it. Ditch the block C and pick the logo synonymous with championships.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #66
scunyon
I'm here, I'm the one

Male

CockyCash: 500
scunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spursscunyon has earned his spurs
Send a message via Yahoo to scunyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
If you don't think that young black men pay attention to such things then you are the one being stupid.
Being black for the better part of 43 years, I'm pretty sure I've got a handle on the black perspective. To presume that an athlete will make a decision to go to a school based on their "swag" is irresponsible, insensitive, and insulting. If the case were to be made for kids choosing a school based on nice uniforms, no one would touch Oregon. Bama has one of the simplest uniforms in college football but constantly bring in 4 and 5 star kids so that can't be the draw.

Kids go where they can, 1) play, 2) win, and 3) get to the next level. Uniforms don't win championships, the players in them do. How about just leave the "black kids" thing alone.
scunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #67
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post

I love this idea! We should have every program in athletic dept. do this. Would help to unify our teams.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #68
Cockadowdledoo
Banned

Male

Cockadowdledoo is sharpening his clawsCockadowdledoo is sharpening his clawsCockadowdledoo is sharpening his clawsCockadowdledoo is sharpening his clawsCockadowdledoo is sharpening his claws

True story..the Gamecocks are called the Gamecocks because a USC math professor liked to invite his students to drink whiskey and fight chickens in his back yard during the summer. I wish we could incorporate some of the more interesting aspects of our history into the brand but something tells me the PC police would flip shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cockadowdledoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #69
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

CockyCash: 10950385
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

It might be blasphemy, but I wouldn't mind a mascot change if we were forced into it.
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #70
Cockadowdledoo
Banned

Male

Cockadowdledoo is sharpening his clawsCockadowdledoo is sharpening his clawsCockadowdledoo is sharpening his clawsCockadowdledoo is sharpening his clawsCockadowdledoo is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
It might be blasphemy, but I wouldn't mind a mascot change if we were forced into it.

Yea that's blasphemy

Cockadowdledoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #71
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockadowdledoo View Post
Yea that's blasphemy

I mean, Auburn has like 15 mascots.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #72
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Personally, I hate the interlocking SC idea for football helmets. At this point, it is viewed as exactly what it is, a baseball logo. I think it would look terrible on the football helmets. I also despise the current tailfeathers logo the university is pushing. It's not simple enough for an appealing national brand and doesn't seem as suitable for a sports team's logo. The general idea is that a team is going into a battle of sorts. Why not feature the weapons our mascot of choice uses? It's very similar to the way fsu has the spear on their helmets even though their mascot is something else entirely.

Also, using a claw and spur logo would mesh perfectly with the Spurs Up!

Last edited by kingoftheroost; 01-11-2017 at 08:54 PM..
kingoftheroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #73
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

While reading "The Big Red Barn" to the kid tonight. We need to have a "Gamecock club" for kids called "the Bantam Roosters." I don't know what it will loo like or do, but get 'em hooked in as USC fans early.

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #74
GamecockTaylor
Realist

Male

GamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudly

Old 01-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #75
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
While reading "The Big Red Barn" to the kid tonight. We need to have a "Gamecock club" for kids called "the Bantam Roosters." I don't know what it will loo like or do, but get 'em hooked in as USC fans early.
USCU already uses the Bantam mascot.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:00 PM   #76
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 200
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Winning cures everything, that is for sure. Yet, branding certainly helps along the way.

You can forget about the spur being the focal point of our identity- it has phased itself out from our Style Guide more and more over the years. It's not even on the official sheet anymore. Its association with an illegal activity isn't a look the University wants when our mascot is tough for the PC crowd already.

The Block C is a design conundrum for our program. It's classic but hard to distinguish for most people that don't know what it is. I've come across many Gamecock fans that still don't realize where the actual head of the Gamecock is at; many think the entire neck is the head.

The best option, IMO, is going to be to feature the letters SC somehow and do it across all sports while using the Block C and Gamecock as tertiary logos. Problem with that first thought is Southern Cal has already kind of owned that.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #77
GamecockTaylor
Realist

Male

GamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudlyGamecockTaylor is crowing loudly

Name:  IMG_0246.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  114.1 KB

Old 01-11-2017, 09:09 PM   #78
Schark
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 11400
Schark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
I mean, Auburn has like 15 mascots.
What's the proper term for that?

Secondary mascot?
Alternate?
Proxy?
Back up?
The other one?

Just for fun.
If USC were to implement a second mascot what should it be?

Congaree Swamp Hog?

Old 01-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #79
Schark
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 11400
Schark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockTaylor View Post
Attachment 17321

That's pretty legit
Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #80
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

Palmetto tree? Stanford has a tree for a mascot...