CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Captain9Dragons
Order 66
kick_ball
TKE226
Spur's Addiction
2k15
Wisercock
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
What A Sight (1925)
Bye week VENT THREAD (1610)
Alshon, Clowney & (784)
Stacking Up the Next (132)
Coaching carousel: 2017-1
What A Sight
Alshon, Clowney & DJ
2018 WBB - Christyn Willi
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2018 - Dax Hollifield
Bye week VENT THREAD
Stacking Up the Next 3 We
*** 2017 Carolina Panther
***2017 World Series Thre

Old 04-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #21
M.C.
Gamecock4Life

Male

CockyCash: 8888888
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.
Default Re: Home Cooked Burgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZyn View Post
Look who thinks they know something about anything
Lol really.. This is a discussion about hamburgers

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #22
darthtripous
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 505
darthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudly

Unless I'm buying a nice cut of steak I only eat venison. I make my burgers with Lowery's seasoning, whostershire, and a little bread crumbs to hold the meat together. I like to use charcole and I like a nice medium heat. Cooking it slower keeps the gamey taste down. Flip once and use sharp cheddar at the end. I then add tradition BLT toppings and a little mustard and ketchup. I have tons of people tell me they hate venison but loved my burgers and I might have told a white lie or two and said it was beef and no one has ever questioned me. They key is to cook a little slower as venison has very little fat.
darthtripous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #23
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtripous View Post
Unless I'm buying a nice cut of steak I only eat venison. I make my burgers with Lowery's seasoning, whostershire, and a little bread crumbs to hold the meat together. I like to use charcole and I like a nice medium heat. Cooking it slower keeps the gamey taste down. Flip once and use sharp cheddar at the end. I then add tradition BLT toppings and a little mustard and ketchup. I have tons of people tell me they hate venison but loved my burgers and I might have told a white lie or two and said it was beef and no one has ever questioned me. They key is to cook a little slower as venison has very little fat.
I like to mix venison with beef when I make my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #24
M.C.
Gamecock4Life

Male

CockyCash: 8888888
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

I flame broil mine

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #25
2spurs
Recruit

Male

2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit2spurs rules the CockPit

Quote:
Step 1. go to your favorite butcher.

Step 2. Ask for 1 pound ribeyes

Step 3. Ask butcher to Ground said Ribeyes.

Step 4. Enjoy the look of perplexion on his face.

Step 5. Add Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to ground ribeyes.

Step 6. Form Ribeyes into 1/4 pound patties(want more meat? make it a double,triple.

Step 7. Cook til medium(wont take long)

Customize and add your own personality with the toppings.
2spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #26
gamecockphan
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Short rib or rib eye (80/20)
Grind my own meat. (Cube and place the meat in the freezer for 15 minutes then pulse it in a food processor)
Pan sear mid-rare in a cast iron skillet
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #27
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Short rib or rib eye (80/20)
Grind my own meat. (Cube and place the meat in the freezer for 15 minutes then pulse it in a food processor)
Pan sear mid-rare in a cast iron skillet
Brilliant. Never knew you could do it in a food processor. Will need to try this.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #28
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Brilliant. Never knew you could do it in a food processor. Will need to try this.
Yeah, I never thought of that either. I use the grinder attachment for a Kitchen-Aid.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #29
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Yeah, I never thought of that either. I use the grinder attachment for a Kitchen-Aid.
That's what I have too. Now that I think of it, I remember someone on CHOPPED using a processor when the grinder was already used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #30
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
about to send you a PM about this....
Old 04-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #31
ut_vols13
4-Star

Male

ut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Give this stuff a try instead of worcestershire.

http://www.allegromarinade.com/renow...smoke-marinade

Their other marinades are great also. Here are a few.

http://www.allegromarinade.com/renow...-tame-marinade

http://www.allegromarinade.com/renow...ginal-marinade
ut_vols13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #32
SummervilleGuy
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 780
SummervilleGuy is sharpening his clawsSummervilleGuy is sharpening his clawsSummervilleGuy is sharpening his clawsSummervilleGuy is sharpening his clawsSummervilleGuy is sharpening his claws

We mix a little dry ranch seasoning and woostershire sauce when making the patties.
SummervilleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #33
CockCopter
Professor

Male

CockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot material

I use 83/17 for my burgs. Anyone else? I oil coat the patties which have a small amount of oatmeal in them which holds in the juices.

Last edited by CockCopter; 04-20-2017 at 09:43 AM..
CockCopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #34
ut_vols13
4-Star

Male

ut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockCopter View Post
I use 87/13 for my burgs. Anyone else? I oil coat the patties which have a small amount of oatmeal in them which holds in the juices.
I have personally never seen that mix. I have seen 90/10, 80/20 and 73/27 in stores.
ut_vols13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #35
CockCopter
Professor

Male

CockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot materialCockCopter is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut_vols13 View Post
I have personally never seen that mix. I have seen 90/10, 80/20 and 73/27 in stores.
They had it in Springfield, MO when I lived there and I'm hooked on that ratio now.

Yeah, not to be found in the Carolinas unless you ask specifically for it. You can always mix in the fat yourself. My guy at Publix will give me excess beef fat that he usually throws away. You could also just combine 90 and 80 in the right ratio, but who the hell wants to do math while their drinking beer and grilling?
CockCopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #36
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2400200
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut_vols13 View Post
What you have to do is mix 7lbs of 90/10 with 1 pound each of 80/20 and 73/27 and voila, 87/13.

People do it all the time, can't believe you've never done that.

Also, I haven't looked in while, but I used to get 88/12 from either Costco or Sam's when I lived in Phoenix. I'm pretty sure I've gotten it here in SC, but I can't remember anything these days.

Last edited by hank scorpio; 04-20-2017 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Had to add the sarcastic font to the second part.
hank scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #37
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1723117800290
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Hard for me to imagine grinding up a good ribeye to have a hamburger. But what the hell do I know.... lol
Old 04-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #38
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

So, who else is grilling burgers tonight? This thread had me wanting homemade hamburgers all week.

I will be using pre-ground burger this time around, we have like 10 lbs of it from a "cow-share" we did last year that we are trying to eat up. But its Grass fed local beef so it still tastes pretty good.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #39
DrZyn
El Logical

Male

CockyCash: 200336
DrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockCopter View Post
I use 83/17 for my burgs. Anyone else? I oil coat the patties which have a small amount of oatmeal in them which holds in the juices.
I have heard 84/16 is better, just what I heard.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #40
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10028
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I generally use a thermometer to about 150-ish so, I guess closer to medium than medium rare, but still plenty pink and juicy.
Since you grind your own, that should not be much to worry about.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote