CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
2k15
Three and Out
JerseyBird
GeoCocky66
SNEEZ
TaySC
Ironfan
AR1
sporkgod50
garnetmike
WR out???? (1910)
2017 Gulf Coast Show (1361)
miama-pitt game (1053)
cell phone lights ar (770)
Someone please expla (676)
Good Luck Tomorrow! (522)
Never Again (450)
It isn't Florida, bu (403)
The Gamecocks Win 30 (349)
Clemson: Countdown t (295)
cell phone lights around
College Football 2017
Clemson: Countdown to Kic
2018 - Dylan Wonnum
2017 High School Football
Coaching carousel: 2017-1
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2 Clemson LB's Potentiall
2018 - Dorian Gerald
#114 in Total Offense

Old 07-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material
Default Amazon Prime Sous Vide $129.99

Just FYI, I picked one up after being on the fence for about 2 years. Apparently the wife can also use it to make a relaxing foot bath....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default Re: Amazon Prime Sous Vide $129.99

Good deal for both kitchen and foot!

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2800400
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Good for you, man. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

I have the non-wifi model, and I love it. It cooks the very best pork chops I've ever had. Pot roast is pretty killer too. Fresh corn and asparagus are delicious. Most recently, I bought some of the 4oz. korken jars from Ikea and made cheesecake in them. It was phenomenal!! Brought them to work and the team loved it.

Also make big batches of Old Fashioneds in quart size mason jars for when I have a few buddies over. Got a kid on the way, so I will be making baby food on the regular with it as well.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I decided to bite and get one too. Last year's #1 seller was an Instant Pot. It is an even better deal this year. https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-M...78T2SYT9K8RFJ0

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 07-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
Good for you, man. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

I have the non-wifi model, and I love it. It cooks the very best pork chops I've ever had. Pot roast is pretty killer too. Fresh corn and asparagus are delicious. Most recently, I bought some of the 4oz. korken jars from Ikea and made cheesecake in them. It was phenomenal!! Brought them to work and the team loved it.

Also make big batches of Old Fashioneds in quart size mason jars for when I have a few buddies over. Got a kid on the way, so I will be making baby food on the regular with it as well.
LOL, I used you talking about yours to get my wife to let me order one. It's officially for our live-in mother in law as an Xmas present. The wifi part she definitely won't use....but I definitely will.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I decided to bite and get one too. Last year's #1 seller was an Instant Pot. It is an even better deal this year. https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-M...78T2SYT9K8RFJ0
I keep wanting to get a pressure cooker....at the very least, it's like a crock pot but cooks things a whole lot faster correct? I know you can do other things with it, and it seems like the type of thing that'd be great for people with not a lot of time on their hands.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
I keep wanting to get a pressure cooker....at the very least, it's like a crock pot but cooks things a whole lot faster correct? I know you can do other things with it, and it seems like the type of thing that'd be great for people with not a lot of time on their hands.
Yeah, and a space saver too. It is presure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer and more in one unit. Whereas the sous vide is for slow this is for fast. They are excellent for boiled peanuts.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 07-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Yeah, and a space saver too. It is presure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer and more in one unit. Whereas the sous vide is for slow this is for fast. They are excellent for boiled peanuts.
This put me on the cusp of buying one for real.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Quote:
This put me on the cusp of buying one for real.
Just do it man. With that, a sous vide and and nice grill, you'll be set for pretty much anything you want to do. Tell the wife that I said it was ok.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #10
Y Formation
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11400
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

I picked up a lot of good deals this year. Much better than last year. It also helped that this week we had a week off around the house and were planning on a lot of shopping.

All in all it was a Great Prime Day! and I might buy one or two more things:)
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #11
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

Here's a document for those whose sous vides are arriving today. I use it as my quick reference for times and tems. Anova is pretty solid, but sometimes I like my stuff a little different from what the app says to do.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ChefSteps-SousVideReference.pdf.zip (59.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
Here's a document for those whose sous vides are arriving today. I use it as my quick reference for times and tems. Anova is pretty solid, but sometimes I like my stuff a little different from what the app says to do.
Nice chart . . . Thanks!

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 07-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #13
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

I tried out my new sous vide machine tonight. Ribeye ( I cut it in half to show the edge to edge medium rare), taters, creamed spinach, melon, bread. This thing is gonna be fun!

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 07-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #14
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

So for these do you have to use a Foodsaver or some other sort of vacuum sealer before you cook, or can you use like some decently sturdy Ziploc bags?

I ask because I've seen a $20 coupon for a Foodsaver that would drop it down to $50-something at Walmart.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #15
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

I used ziplock freezer bags. I need to dig my Foodsaver machine out of storage though. That will be mo betta. JUst be sure to get all of the air out!

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 07-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #16
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

Quote:
So for these do you have to use a Foodsaver or some other sort of vacuum sealer before you cook, or can you use like some decently sturdy Ziploc bags?

I ask because I've seen a $20 coupon for a Foodsaver that would drop it down to $50-something at Walmart.
After trying with a ziploc bag "(london broil also wrapped in cling wrap) the major issue is that your food wants to float to the top because it has air in it. You have to find some way to keep it under. I have a glass burger press that I put on top of it weigh it down and it worked okay. It was still a little on the rare side when I took it out and seared it just because it needed a little longer in the bath.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #17
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

I wanted to try cornin in it tonight. No luck. My soupot just isn't big enough. I need to convert a storage container or old cooler into a sous vide oven. Doesn't seem difficult.

If a bag floats on you try attaching weights to the bottom of the bag. Don't put a weight on the bag itself. In order to work correctly the hot water must be able to circulate freely around the bag. BTW, before finding that my corn would not fit in the pot I managed to get a decent vacuum by the water displacement method and then using a straw in a corner to suck any remaining air out.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Old 07-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #18
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
I wanted to try cornin in it tonight. No luck. My soupot just isn't big enough. I need to convert a storage container or old cooler into a sous vide oven. Doesn't seem difficult.

If a bag floats on you try attaching weights to the bottom of the bag. Don't put a weight on the bag itself. In order to work correctly the hot water must be able to circulate freely around the bag. BTW, before finding that my corn would not fit in the pot I managed to get a decent vacuum by the water displacement method and then using a straw in a corner to suck any remaining air out.
I was reading some of the reviews on Amazon or perhaps some info on some other website, and someone just drilled a hole in the lid of a cooler, if nothing else it'll save electricity since it's insulated. Here's a random place I found with google that talks about it:

Here's the massive sous vide thread that the picture is from:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=211200

Amazon also had a custom made cover for Rubbermaid containers that go up to 22 qts.
https://www.amazon.com/EVERIE-Collap...PVE6PZJ53C0B07

So no lead fishing weights in with the flank steak eh?

BTW, here's a great read for anyone considering getting one, likely on Cyber Monday I'd guess at this point.

Last edited by thekob; 07-18-2017 at 01:11 PM..
Old 07-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #19
YankeeGamecock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 600
YankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsYankeeGamecock has developed his gaff and talons

I have the original Anova sous vide as well as 2 Joules. I'm a firm believer.

I've perfected ribs in it. I dry rub them and let sit overnight in the fridge wrapped in cling wrap. Next day I smoke for about 45 minutes. then vac seal and sous vide for 4 hours, then lightly sauce while finishing the on the grill. I would put them up against anyones ribs.

Check out Chefsteps.com for some great recipes and serious eats for some as well.

I just finished putting together my Yeti 65 cooler setup. I'm going to try sous vide on a whole suckling pig next weekend.
YankeeGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #20
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamecock View Post
I have the original Anova sous vide as well as 2 Joules. I'm a firm believer.

I've perfected ribs in it. I dry rub them and let sit overnight in the fridge wrapped in cling wrap. Next day I smoke for about 45 minutes. then vac seal and sous vide for 4 hours, then lightly sauce while finishing the on the grill. I would put them up against anyones ribs.

Check out Chefsteps.com for some great recipes and serious eats for some as well.

I just finished putting together my Yeti 65 cooler setup. I'm going to try sous vide on a whole suckling pig next weekend.
On behalf of everyone on this forum we demand an invite or at least pics.