CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
kick_ball
MountainCock
Spur's Addiction
SwampFox
GoldenSpur7
USCinPa
RGHoskins
AndersonCock
Three and Out
USC Bowl pick plus a (613)
Mike Ayers Retires (495)
2019 Desmond Little (421)
2020 - Kevin Swint (391)
CHRISTMAS MUSIC THRE (251)
Official Gamecock Ta (226)
OK...the RRHoF is ju (207)
This place has been (97)
Gamecock Authentic L (33)
2018 - KJ Henry
2019 - Quavaris Crouch
2018 Commitment - Dakereo
Mike Ayers Retires
COD: WWII
Bentley Offensive Philoso
2018 Commitment - Bryce T
2018 - Jaycee Horn
VERY interesting. ESPN p
2018 - Rashod Bateman

Old 08-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #21
bcolinc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot materialbcolinc is USC mascot material
Default Re: Smoking Butts Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
How many you doing and on what type of apparatus?
My guy called a smoker an "apparatus". Nice.
bcolinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #22
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2800400
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

I think it tastes better when pulled the night before. Allows the smoke to set into the meat more evenly. I actually prefer it that way more so than right off the grill.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:19 AM   #23
DJCatfish
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Probably 2-3 since there'll be about 16 adults and 8 kids or so. I've got a Masterbuilt electric smoker. I'm planning on using the cold smoking attachment since it creates smoke regardless of whether or not the smoker is heating.
I agree with the advice here generally to pull the night before and reheat gently. That's worked for me on many occasions. But I have to ask -- if you're using an electric, why not just smoke through the night? I'd think you could put them on the evening before, project a 9:30 or 10:00 finish and still give yourself plenty of leeway to have them run long (and I know somewhat off topic, but in the dispute about when they are "done" -- I'm squarely in the 195+ camp).

BBQ for the eclipse sounds amazing. I'm headed down for catch it, I hope the weather holds!
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #24
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcolinc View Post
My guy called a smoker an "apparatus". Nice.
I used that tern b/c folks use different things- ceramic kamado (Egg, Joe etc), electric smoker, old school barrel smoker, offset smoker, or just a plain old grill.

But of course everyone knows the best apparatus is a file cabinet.

gamecockphan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #25
Frosty
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 70280000
Frosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot material

Put them on around 2pm on Sunday at 200 and hold that temp for 18-20 hours, "I pull my meat at 195"* put it in a pan and cover it with foil and let it sit for an hour or so and then take the Bear Claws to it and it pulls apart nicely.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:25 PM   #26
Dizzy01
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11000
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

I've used the Food52 hash recipe as a base and played around with it adding beef and less pork and different spices and liquids. Personally I prefer just the straight pork and use some of my vinegar and mustard sauces in the liquid. Just be careful with the potatoes as too many makes it too starchy and it's hard to recover. I'd recommend just adding some of the soft boiled potatoes in batches until you reach the texture/taste you like and then just eat the leftover potatoes with a little Dukes.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #27
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

The best way to prep potatoes for hash is to rice them.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:15 AM   #28
ccured
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 74000
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

^^^^^
What yancey said
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #29
dumpyloser
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 2700
dumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot material

So, this weekend, I had some of what the folks in Newberry call hash and rice and it isn't even in the same category of food as what we make in the upstate lol. All of my family (all from the upstate) thought it was some sort of weird gravy lol.

It's crazy to me that an hour and a half away makes that big of a difference in a food like that. I was so excited to eat and then let down lol.
dumpyloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #30
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock John View Post
Trust me. I do this all the time. Pull meat at 180 on Sunday evening. place in garbage bag and then place in cooler. Will still bee piping hot at 12 on Monday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I beg to differ. Butts should be taken to 195F prior to pulling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfan1 View Post

TRUE....although I don't pinpoint 195...anywhere after 190 I find the connective tissues have melted through.

As far as the day before deal...done it plenty but I pull mine the day before and save all the juices...then set oven on 230, distribute the juices and wrap tightly with foil and in a couple hours you're good to go...butts can get very tight(lol) sitting over night in a cold fridge so I help it out by pulling the night before.

There's no way in hell you're getting a good pull from removing at 180. I've removed at 190 and had to fight to get it broken up.

195 is the lowest I go, but I tend to let mine go on and hit 200. At 200 the bone will slide straight out and makes it a lot easier to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #31
dumpyloser
Two Deep

Male

dumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
There's no way in hell you're getting a good pull from removing at 180. I've removed at 190 and had to fight to get it broken up.

195 is the lowest I go, but I tend to let mine go on and hit 200. At 200 the bone will slide straight out and makes it a lot easier to work with.
I pull above 210 unless I'm crunched for time. The trick is not letting it dry out when it's that hot, but it's possible.

I agree that 180 is way to low unless you are wanting to slice it.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #32
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 940058
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpyloser View Post
So, this weekend, I had some of what the folks in Newberry call hash and rice and it isn't even in the same category of food as what we make in the upstate lol. All of my family (all from the upstate) thought it was some sort of weird gravy lol.

It's crazy to me that an hour and a half away makes that big of a difference in a food like that. I was so excited to eat and then let down lol.
..The best hash I have ever had was by some good ole boys in Newberry County. It was deer hash and it was fantastic. Im a low country boy and love low country bbq and hash but I have to admitt on that night the boys from Newberry took the prize..
Old 08-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #33
dumpyloser
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
..The best hash I have ever had was by some good ole boys in Newberry County. It was deer hash and it was fantastic. Im a low country boy and love low country bbq and hash but I have to admitt on that night the boys from Newberry took the prize..
Ever had any in the upstate? I'm curious to know if what you had was similar to what I had or if it was more along the lines of what we call hash.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #34
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpyloser View Post
Ever had any in the upstate? I'm curious to know if what you had was similar to what I had or if it was more along the lines of what we call hash.
..Hash to me is anything you can put in it that is inside of a hawg. Except the liver. I used to do hash off the hoof a long time ago and put little if any liver in my hash. I have had some upstate hash and cant eat it. Like I said the hash I had in Newberry was made with deer meat. It did have some pork and beef added in but was primarily deer hash..
Old 08-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #35
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

Hash can be very different from city to city, country to county or region to region. Hell in Orangeburg and Bamberg Counties I bet there is 6 different types of hash. Some with a lot of liver some with little liver some with no liver some with onions in it and some without ect ect ect..
Old 08-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #36
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
I agree with the advice here generally to pull the night before and reheat gently. That's worked for me on many occasions. But I have to ask -- if you're using an electric, why not just smoke through the night? I'd think you could put them on the evening before, project a 9:30 or 10:00 finish and still give yourself plenty of leeway to have them run long (and I know somewhat off topic, but in the dispute about when they are "done" -- I'm squarely in the 195+ camp).

BBQ for the eclipse sounds amazing. I'm headed down for catch it, I hope the weather holds!
I've always wrapped mine in tin foil so I'd need to watch it a little to see when it gets to that point. I think with the water tray that goes it there it probably doesn't matter, but it's how I've been doing it so I don't want to screw it up.

With the electric also I have to add wood chips every hour or so (about a handful at a time). The cold smoker attachment I have lets you put in more chips at a time but I think I still have to add more at some point.

Also, with a bunch of people coming over and all my immediate family coming in, I just want to make sure I don't screw it up.

Right now I'm tempted to make it on Saturday before any family gets here and put it in the fridge after pulling, and reheat Monday now. We'll see.

Just regarding the eclipse and food, all the Walmarts around the area are apparently out of Moon Pies....I'm not joking. I was still able to get em at Lowes Foods in Lexington though!
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #37
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
I've always wrapped mine in tin foil so I'd need to watch it a little to see when it gets to that point. I think with the water tray that goes it there it probably doesn't matter, but it's how I've been doing it so I don't want to screw it up.

With the electric also I have to add wood chips every hour or so (about a handful at a time). The cold smoker attachment I have lets you put in more chips at a time but I think I still have to add more at some point.

Also, with a bunch of people coming over and all my immediate family coming in, I just want to make sure I don't screw it up.

Right now I'm tempted to make it on Saturday before any family gets here and put it in the fridge after pulling, and reheat Monday now. We'll see.

Just regarding the eclipse and food, all the Walmarts around the area are apparently out of Moon Pies....I'm not joking. I was still able to get em at Lowes Foods in Lexington though!

I used to wrap, but I like having a good bark on my pork and feel like it makes it a little mushy.

Quote:
I agree with Cack.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #38
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
I used to wrap, but I like having a good bark on my pork and feel like it makes it a little mushy.
I think I wouldn't get a good crust regardless since I have the water tray in there. Sooner or later I'll have to try it without it to see how it does....worst case scenario is that I'd end up using it in pork enchiladas or chili or something I guess.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #39
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
I think I wouldn't get a good crust regardless since I have the water tray in there. Sooner or later I'll have to try it without it to see how it does....worst case scenario is that I'd end up using it in pork enchiladas or chili or something I guess.
Ultimately depends how much sugar is in your rub.

Quote:
I agree with Cack.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #40
uscfan1
Make Yourself

Male

CockyCash: 5200
uscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Smoked 2 this weekend(Saturday)...let them have smoke for 5 hours and foiled for 2 hours...honestly didn't even watch temp this time but there were perfect.
uscfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote