CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
Blitzkrieg
kick_ball
eightohhthree
gotrice?
Spur's Addiction
Ace Dilcock
GregoryHouse
Greyrooster
kingofnerf
The FCC has voted to (1257)
2019 - Tyler Fromm (564)
Place to stay (320)
Disney to buy 21st C (289)
2021 - Chaz Chamblis (272)
Cure Bowl: GEORGIA S (222)
New Orleans Bowl: NO (203)
2020 - Brandon Field (191)
2019 - Jerrion Ealy (176)
2019 - Riley Simonds (163)
CONNOR SHAW DISCUSSION TH
The FCC has voted to repe
2018 - Channing Tindall
2018 - KJ Henry
2018 Commitment - Dakereo
2018 Commitment - Bryce T
Name a Gamecock
US Womens National Team
Thoughs On Men's BB At Ex
Question regarding new OC

Old 10-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #41
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 1081372276
weatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot material
Default Re: USA misses out on world cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Thank you. This is one of the great fallacies of collective American thought on this subject.

When I lived in Germany, I was regularly schooled in futbol by people far less athletic than me. They'd lived it since a young age and possessed great SKILL.
I played soccer a lot as a kid and I was pretty good at it too. When my family visited Costa Rica when I was 10 or 11, I played a pick up game with a bunch of local kids who were all a couple years younger than me and smaller than me. I played goalie and they had one of those mini goals so I figured it would be no problem...

Those kids schooled me and made me look like a fool lol. One of the boys on my team eventually took me out of goal and put me in the field I was doing so poorly. Soccer is just such a bigger part of their life down there that even though I'd been playing soccer since I was 4, they were miles ahead of me.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:14 PM   #42
gsgp
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2000000500
gsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudlygsgp is crowing loudly

Soccer is looked at in many areas as a "rich" sport. Look at soccer moms driving fancy cars , look at the cost to be on a team . All the Central American and South American countries i been in kids play in the street ,parks, anywhere they can kick a ball. We seem to have made it a middle class and up sport not the open to all as it should. What is real is what the kids believe and see. It needs to get to the guys in high school to pull them from the Big 3 is the challenge . just what i see .
gsgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #43
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 8999501
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

This is horrible! Gulati needs to be removed and we need to hire some damn Latin American countries superstar and throw a ton of dough at him to make us a world power. For those down on everything we were actually pretty good in the last world cup and had a lot of momentum. Arenas should have never been hired back period! This is completely and utterly despicable that we won't be at minimum on the world cup stage for at least 5 more years. This will set us back immensely!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #44
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 8999501
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

I'm completely sick over this!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #45
M.C.
Gamecock4Life

Male

CockyCash: 8949643
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

not a huge fan of soccer but do enjoy watching the world cup because of all the passion each country has for their team..suck's usa wont be in it

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #46
ccured
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 74000
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

IBruce arena should have never been rehired. He loves mls players and seems to hold overseas against players. He played players that were clearly not as good as people on the bench.

There is a multitude of reasons why we can't develop players. Mls and college soccer are both determinental. Lack of youth coaches who know what they're doing. It's all drill repetition and throttling of creativity. Pricing out a huge portion of the best athletes. Not to mention the political bull of the youth organizations
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 PM   #47
gamecockjay
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 5200
gamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot materialgamecockjay is USC mascot material

Many of the reasons posted are valid reasons why we lose to Germany,Mexico etc etc but that shouldn't matter playing T&T. This team wilted under pressure and had no fire at all and that is what is so disgusting about it. T&T had lost 9 in a row or something like that. Burn it down, burn it to the ground.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:32 AM   #48
womfalcs3
Happiness is a choice

Male

CockyCash: 200
womfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot material

I think soccer will gain popularity as:

1.) More people stop letting their kids play football due to brain injury, and
2.) The demographics change in the US where Hispanic people slowly become the majority in 2050+.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:55 AM   #49
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

the fact theres even a question if we're going to blow this thing up from top to bottom gives me no hope that we're going to see the change organizationally and development wise that we need. too many ppl concerned more about making money than making us a better soccer country.

then like you guys mentioned theres the aspect of living breathing the sport at a young age and not being stifled when they reach their high school and college ages like they currently are compared to the rest of the world.

things will stay the same and maybe we'll get lucky in 4-5 years, but luck certainly isnt a sustainable model for long term success as we now see.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:54 AM   #50
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material
Default USA misses out on world cup

In other mid to minor sports, the USA has great success in over the years. Think about Swimming, Tennis, Golf, Gymnastics, etc.

Not sure why soccer would be any different as far as developing players.

Last edited by Spur's Addiction; 10-12-2017 at 07:34 AM..
Spur's Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #51
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 11000000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

The idea that soccer is too expensive in the U.S. certainly has merit.

If Nike, or Amazon, or some forward-thinking company with means were smart, they'd create something like "Project 2030" and commit to building 2030 public soccer fields by the year 2030. Yes, it would be crazy expensive, but with the right sponsors, private/corporate and those from the government, these fields could be aimed at a number of things: disadvantaged areas, inner cities, rural areas, etc. It could be backed up with public service marketing aimed at kids, and perhaps by FREE soccer leagues.

I'm not thinking this all the way through, but the barriers to play soccer should be TINY...not huge, the way we've made them in the U.S.

As many have said, USA soccer needs to be leveled and rebuilt. The good news is, despite this setback, more kids in the US play soccer today than ever before. Perhaps this travesty is what we need to make us better.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #52
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 3500
cocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by womfalcs3 View Post
I think soccer will gain popularity as:

1.) More people stop letting their kids play football due to brain injury, and
2.) The demographics change in the US where Hispanic people slowly become the majority in 2050+.
Soccer also has benefitted from the arrival of HDTV, where the wider aspect ratio allows you to see the full motion of the game being played out. In addition, with the explosion of cable TV, satellite TV, and HD streaming options, it's easier to see the game being played at the highest level in Europe and South America.

Soccer is easily the 4th most popular sport in America now...don't see it moving any higher on the totem pole in the near future. Long term, who knows? Don't forget that boxing and horse racing were two of the top sports in America in the 20s and 30s...look where they are now.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #53
ThisMr X
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2700
ThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPitThisMr X rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
The idea that soccer is too expensive in the U.S. certainly has merit.

If Nike, or Amazon, or some forward-thinking company with means were smart, they'd create something like "Project 2030" and commit to building 2030 public soccer fields by the year 2030. Yes, it would be crazy expensive, but with the right sponsors, private/corporate and those from the government, these fields could be aimed at a number of things: disadvantaged areas, inner cities, rural areas, etc. It could be backed up with public service marketing aimed at kids, and perhaps by FREE soccer leagues.

I'm not thinking this all the way through, but the barriers to play soccer should be TINY...not huge, the way we've made them in the U.S.

As many have said, USA soccer needs to be leveled and rebuilt. The good news is, despite this setback, more kids in the US play soccer today than ever before. Perhaps this travesty is what we need to make us better.
Soccer is literally one of the cheapest sports to play, even at a competitive level.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #54
longhaul
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2000
longhaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot material

Could it be that the money in American Soccer compared with other sports also drives the talent level. I don't know that much about it on the pro level. Also not sure that soccer will grow with the concussion thing in football. If you look, soccer has a very high level of concussions and the studies are now showing the repeated blows to the head from the ball also causing CTE in players. If you watch high school soccer in particular it can be pretty rough. Especially in the smaller schools where they grab a bunch of guys from the football team to help out that really don't know how to play soccer.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #55
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Yeah, I agree with Womfalcs3. I think American football is on its way out unfortunately. The brain injuries/politics with NFL and changing demographics will bring it crashing down in time. Will Soccer fill the void? I'm not sure.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #56
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
Could it be that the money in American Soccer compared with other sports also drives the talent level. I don't know that much about it on the pro level. Also not sure that soccer will grow with the concussion thing in football. If you look, soccer has a very high level of concussions and the studies are now showing the repeated blows to the head from the ball also causing CTE in players. If you watch high school soccer in particular it can be pretty rough. Especially in the smaller schools where they grab a bunch of guys from the football team to help out that really don't know how to play soccer.
You'd think that the money to be made would spur more kids - especially poor kids, to play soccer Granted, they would have to go to Europe to get really paid, but they can still make a good living in the US from an early age. They can start earning very early, as young as 16. For those poor athletes that complain about exploitation by the NCAA, they can skip college all together and start making $$$ immediately. Pulisic is making $8 million per year.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #57
longhaul
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2000
longhaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
You'd think that the money to be made would spur more kids - especially poor kids, to play soccer Granted, they would have to go to Europe to get really paid, but they can still make a good living in the US from an early age. They can start earning very early, as young as 16. For those poor athletes that complain about exploitation by the NCAA, they can skip college all together and start making $$$ immediately. Pulisic is making $8 million per year.
Interesting. I had no idea what kind of money they can make here in the states.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #58
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Spurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot material

It's always struck me as strange that seemingly every American (male and female) plays soccer as a kid, but then it just...stops. It feels like a solid foundation should exist for the U.S. to be a soccer country, but it somehow doesn't.
Spurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #59
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 77601
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurz View Post
It's always struck me as strange that seemingly every American (male and female) plays soccer as a kid, but then it just...stops. It feels like a solid foundation should exist for the U.S. to be a soccer country, but it somehow doesn't.
My kid is 6 and has played a couple of seasons.

I'm already disillusioned with the state of Soccer in the USA.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #60
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisMr X View Post
Soccer is literally one of the cheapest sports to play, even at a competitive level.
Yes- All you need is a frigging ball. You just throw down 2 T-shirts or whatever you can find to mark the goal posts. Game on.