CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
The Yancey
Three and Out
TheMule
DJ Swag pat down (1395)
DJ Wonnum (658)
PJ DOZIER (525)
SEC Tip-Off Media Da (498)
Three former Gamecoc (494)
Travis Bell's Photos (466)
WBB - Wilson selecte (250)
Dozier Signs with OK (238)
The Spurs Up Show Ep (190)
Arby's Venison Sandw (88)
POSSIBLY The Greatest Coa
2017/18 MBB Schedule
DJ Wonnum
Cack's Toast of the Game
Arby's Venison Sandwich
SEC Tip-Off Media Days...
2018 - Dorian Gerald - Te
Ryan Succop destroys reco
DJ Swag pat down
2017 Roster

Old 10-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #61
longhaul
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
longhaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot material
Default Re: USA misses out on world cup

I would say football is cheaper unless you are going to IMG or something. Competitive soccer for the most part has become a travel sport and it can get pretty expensive with all of the tournaments, hotel stays etc. I think that is why so many kids drop out of it. There seems to be enough interest where local clubs could stay local and compete with each other, but there is a real lack of structure and a lot of politics. My kid played travel for a few seasons until he got a little older and wanted to hunt and fish and realized he would never get to do those things if we were on the road every weekend.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #62
gamecockphan
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
Interesting. I had no idea what kind of money they can make here in the states.
Rookie minimum is around $65K. Not exactly killing it, but if you're good enough to earn a contract when you're young - you can go pro, skip college and start earning immediately.

The ideal scenario would be to move through an MLS academy, get noticed by a club in Europe and then move there to continue your career and make millions.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #63
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatheredxtown View Post
I played soccer a lot as a kid and I was pretty good at it too. When my family visited Costa Rica when I was 10 or 11, I played a pick up game with a bunch of local kids who were all a couple years younger than me and smaller than me. I played goalie and they had one of those mini goals so I figured it would be no problem...

Those kids schooled me and made me look like a fool lol. One of the boys on my team eventually took me out of goal and put me in the field I was doing so poorly. Soccer is just such a bigger part of their life down there that even though I'd been playing soccer since I was 4, they were miles ahead of me.
Great story....thanks for sharing.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #64
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
In other mid to minor sports, the USA has great success in over the years. Think about Swimming, Tennis, Golf, Gymnastics, etc.

Not sure why soccer would be any different as far as developing players.
How much of those are led by freaks....individual v. team?
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #65
ccured
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 62383
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yes- All you need is a frigging ball. You just throw down 2 T-shirts or whatever you can find to mark the goal posts. Game on.
That's why it thrives everywhere else because it's so cheap however here it is incredibly expensive to play travel soccer.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #66
ccured
1st Team All-American

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

College soccer is a huge detriment to soccer in America. Go through college and your 21 or 22. Any other country if you have not made it by 22 you are done. I know some mls teams are organizing academies. You need at minimum 8 in this country to get kids in middle school. Need quality coaching that encourages creativity and not strict drills. Hey maybe Adidas and Nike can spend some of their money since their basketball crime ring seems in trouble.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #67
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 785200
InletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot material

I believe Atlanta and Dallas are the only clubs who has developmental leagues. If you progress and become a certain age you actually start getting paid.
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #68
NJCocky14
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
NJCocky14 is developing his combNJCocky14 is developing his combNJCocky14 is developing his combNJCocky14 is developing his combNJCocky14 is developing his combNJCocky14 is developing his combNJCocky14 is developing his combNJCocky14 is developing his combNJCocky14 is developing his combNJCocky14 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisMr X View Post
Soccer is literally one of the cheapest sports to play, even at a competitive level.
To physically play, sure. You really only need a ball and an open space. To play on a competitive travel team with access to quality coaching and competition you're gonna be paying thousands of dollars a year. That's where the real development occurs. Not playing pickup games at your local park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
My buddies kid was in a soccer league when he was 12..there was absolutely no scoring kept.

His kid came up to him at a break and said "whats the score"? The moms got all ruffled and the kid knew he messed up. So he asked his dad a different question to get an answer without offending..he asked "who is happier"..lol
Sweet story. The kid definitely plays in a simple rec league that only exists as a way for kids to stay active. There are plenty of competitive travel teams/leagues for him to play in by that age.

Blaming the failures of the men's national team on giving kids participation trophies and not keeping score is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. Just take a lap.
NJCocky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #69
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yes- All you need is a frigging ball. You just throw down 2 T-shirts or whatever you can find to mark the goal posts. Game on.
Sure these are more individual sports. And one or two great player go a long way. But there is strong talent behind the superstars. And other countries also do not need to develop an entire team.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #70
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCocky14 View Post
To physically play, sure. You really only need a ball and an open space. To play on a competitive travel team with access to quality coaching and competition you're gonna be paying thousands of dollars a year. That's where the real development occurs. Not playing pickup games at your local park.
Sure but that's how it starts. I am not sure of all the backgrounds - But do you think Ronaldo, Messi, Beckham, Pele, Maradonna, etc. would have had the cash to play on US traveling teams at a young age to develop their talent? I am sure they played hours and hours of pick up games at a local park at a young age.

The current system in the US just doe not work. With the Pay to Play model of traveling teams you are eliminating a ton of potential players from ever seriously taking up the sport.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #71
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 61600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Sure but that's how it starts. I am not sure of all the backgrounds - But do you think Ronaldo, Messi, Beckham, Pele, Maradonna, etc. would have had the cash to play on US traveling teams at a young age to develop their talent? I am sure they played hours and hours of pick up games at a local park at a young age.

The current system in the US just doe not work. With the Pay to Play model of traveling teams you are eliminating a ton of potential players from ever seriously taking up the sport.
this goes for almost every sport in the US these days with the exceptoin maybe of football
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #72
ccured
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:

Ronaldo played for an organized amateur team from 5 to 10. Which would be like a little league situation. From 10 to 12 he played for a team backed by Nacional. At 12 he was signed by Sporting and left home. At 14 he quit education to pursue a career.

Messi played for the youth division of the new old boys from like 6 to 12. The moved from Argentina to Spain at like 12 or 14.

Neither played anything like throwing a pair of shirts down you were describing