CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Spur's Addiction
kick_ball
MountainCock
ucan'tlickourcocks
Three and Out
Captain9Dragons
Ace Dilcock
TastyLicks
2k15
24 in the CFP rankin (2778)
Sumlin Out at A& (1609)
Can we run the ball? (968)
My take (964)
MLB Hammers the Atla (560)
The Best Christmas M (451)
Patrick Davis-big ol (431)
Congratulations (427)
David Cassidy Dies (208)
PODCAST: Clemson Wee (102)
24 in the CFP rankings
Can we run the ball?
Can somebody design me a
Congratulations
Sumlin Out at A&M
2018 - Dorian Gerald
MLB Hammers the Atlanta B
New Smart TV
My take
Coaching carousel: 2017-1

Old 11-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #21
Master Bedroom
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: versus Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
The play was incomplete. I think it could have been a boo for maybe pass interference. We ran the same play twice, so I was arguing that point and assumed everyone else was too haha
This was my take
Master Bedroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #22
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 200
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
Agree with almost all of the above but I remember wanting better play calling when we missed 4th and 1. An outside run wod have been better than the inside run we called but, hey, we won and looked very good most of the afternoon so I am ok with it...

Here's to the front 7!!! Great day to be a Gamecock!
Looked like to me we ran the same play on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1. I hope to see some variety because the whole stadium knows we will hand it to Denson and hope for the best. But I trust Champ and Roper and there is one thing I have noticed is the play calls change week to week when things didnt work. I want to see Denson truck some Tigers.

BTW, not sure if anyone noticed but it looked like to me the line judge on the gator side of the field was continually marking us a half yard back on EVERY.SINGLE.PLAY. that was his mark. Not sure if anyone else noticed.

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #23
DrZyn
El Logical

Male

CockyCash: 200938
DrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot material

Watching Alabama this week I am sure their fans were wondering about the play calling and why the offense couldn't get going. I am not defending Rope because I think he has room for improvement but sometimes it is just what the other team is allowing you to do.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #24
longhaul
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
longhaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot material

I am pretty sure the boos were for the missed pass interference as well. I heard the announcer and thought he did not know what the hell he was talking about. A-A-Ron was hard for me to listen to during that broadcast.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #25
Sides
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Sides is sharpening his clawsSides is sharpening his clawsSides is sharpening his clawsSides is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp2386 View Post
They would have been blown out if Jake didn't throw 3 picks...
True. Jake had a bad game but I won't criticize him too much. If he were to get hurt this year we are back to being a 3 win team. Overall, this season has been great success. I am just disappointed we didn't see much improvement in the offense this year. I hope in 1 year we are not saying the same thing...
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #26
carolinafan81
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
carolinafan81 rules the CockPitcarolinafan81 rules the CockPitcarolinafan81 rules the CockPitcarolinafan81 rules the CockPitcarolinafan81 rules the CockPitcarolinafan81 rules the CockPitcarolinafan81 rules the CockPitcarolinafan81 rules the CockPitcarolinafan81 rules the CockPitcarolinafan81 rules the CockPitcarolinafan81 rules the CockPit

Just maybe this was Jakes bad game this year
Old 11-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #27
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinafan81 View Post
Hey he hasn't had his best game of the year yet imo... maybe that can happen in 2 weeks.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #28
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

AJ Turner by a good margin. Denson played well, but AJ was superb. Second for me would be Hurst. Then a few honorable mentions like Kinlaw, Ortre, and Denson.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #29
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11967
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Boos were for the bad spot and pass interference. The announcers showed their ignorance on that one. The PI was pretty obvious but the announcers totally ignored it.

As for Cack's point about play calling....we keep screaming about breaking the runs outside. We did that and had success against UF.

But we got stopped on 4th Down when Mon Denson (or Monson, as Todd called him on the First TD run) broke it outside and ran into two defenders. If he had stayed inside, he would not have gotten much more than a yard - but that was all he needed. The O Line did enough to get the First Down, Mon just had to follow the blocks.
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #30
airborne09
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 972400
airborne09 rules the CockPitairborne09 rules the CockPitairborne09 rules the CockPitairborne09 rules the CockPitairborne09 rules the CockPitairborne09 rules the CockPitairborne09 rules the CockPitairborne09 rules the CockPitairborne09 rules the CockPitairborne09 rules the CockPitairborne09 rules the CockPit

Ace Hindsight was 20/20 on that one. I thought the same thing until it replayed. The two defenders did a good job following him even when he bounced it. He was also moving faster than Hurst on the way to the line.
airborne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #31
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinafan81 View Post
Well if you take out the 3 picks, this may have been his best game yet. Wish we'd run him at the start of the game...might settle him down.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #32
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Well if you take out the 3 picks, this may have been his best game yet. Wish we'd run him at the start of the game...might settle him down.
They've got to figure something out. If Bentley could perform in the 1st quarter like he does in the rest of the game, we'd be sitting with a few more wins.

I like stats and don't feel like hearing the complaints, but look at these:

1st quarter, 46% completion with 2 TD and 3 INT; 2nd quarter 73% 6 TD and 2 INT. He's got a qb rating of 93 the first quarter and then 167, 148, 115. To put that is perspective, the rating for the 2nd quarter is Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph levels. The first quarter is so low it's not even in the top 100 passers.

I'm not a big fan of Roper for various reasons, but the fact is we've been much better since the break. AJ Turner continues to be the best player I cuss the most. I hope with the emergence of Mon Denson, some of these 3rd and shorts will get easier for us.

But, heading into the season, the offense wasn't a concern; it was the defensive line. And since week 1 they've been playing above and beyond expectations. And like you've said, it's not just the seniors but the youth is developing during the year as well.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #33
Master Bedroom
1st Team All-American

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
This is what I have been saying too. Even try a roll-out or something
Old 11-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #34
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I hope with the emergence of Mon Denson, some of these 3rd and shorts will get easier for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
This is what I have been saying too. Even try a roll-out or something
My broken record: Run Jake more and run outside more. Please do some option plays or even a quick pitch. Stretch the field horizontally...we have some speed at RB.

Look at the 2nd & 3rd plays in this clip. We beat the taters with this in '09. Eric Wolford was here then. If Garcia and Shaw could run this, so can Jake. Jake ain't slow.

Sorry Cack about derailing your thread.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #35
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
He had a rushing TD in the 1st quarter ... how much earlier do we need to run him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #36
Master Bedroom
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
He had a rushing TD in the 1st quarter ... how much earlier do we need to run him?
Usually when you say that it means one of the first plays of the game. The thought is with all the adrenaline it helps some QB's settle into the game
Old 11-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #37
FurmanCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5250
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I would like to see at least three rushing TD's by SC against Clemson, prior to the completion of 2001.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #38
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
He had a rushing TD in the 1st quarter ...
And he threw an INT on the next play he was in on. I take it back.
But yea as MB commented...it settles them down to run and get knocked around a little. Plus he's yet to run a zone read that I've seen where he didn't get good ydg.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #39
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
And he threw an INT on the next play he was in on. I take it back.
But yea as MB commented...it settles them down to run and get knocked around a little. Plus he's yet to run a zone read that I've seen where he didn't get good ydg.

Yeah, that only works if they come out looking like world beaters afterwards. I get what you're saying, and I've heard it a ton. Usually it's talked about in big game situations and not on an every Saturday situation. With Jake, I don't think it's nerves or needing to get hit to calm down. I think he just makes a bad decision every now and then.

I see Jake Bentley as a Brett Favre type of player. He'll make a beautiful pass that nobody should ever make ... then will throw one that you're scratching your head for 3 days about.

The zone reads are successful because he doesn't pull it out every single time. I agree that I think when he holds on to one early in a game and forces the D to back off a lot earlier, but it's what he sees in the moment or what he's told to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #40
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
:With Jake, I don't think it's nerves or needing to get hit to calm down. I think he just makes a bad decision every now and then.
Dunno....his 1st qtr passing % is bad. Idea: run him the 1st qtr, then pass the rest!
Quote:
The zone reads are successful because he doesn't pull it out every single time.
We seldom run it. The DE comes unblocked on the zone-read. We usually block the DE with our TE or pulling guard.
Both of these might be the same play.