CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Spur's Addiction
kick_ball
MountainCock
ucan'tlickourcocks
Three and Out
Captain9Dragons
Ace Dilcock
TastyLicks
2k15
24 in the CFP rankin (2595)
Sumlin Out at A& (1416)
My take (890)
Can we run the ball? (766)
MLB Hammers the Atla (539)
The Best Christmas M (423)
Patrick Davis-big ol (409)
Congratulations (248)
David Cassidy Dies (190)
PODCAST: Clemson Wee (94)
Can we run the ball?
Sumlin Out at A&M
Congratulations
24 in the CFP rankings
MLB Hammers the Atlanta B
Can somebody design me a
New Smart TV
2018 - Dorian Gerald
My take
Coaching carousel: 2017-1

Old 10-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #81
AmonRa777
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
AmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2019 WBB - Samantha Brunelle - Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorchesterGamecock View Post
Brunelle is visiting Notre Dame unofficially this weekend.

Along with Caitlin Clark, a 2020 player that SC has shown interest in and Paige Bueckers, a 2021 point guard that SC has already offered.
yeah i saw her pictured in that awful green uniform on twitter...Gotta be quite a battle to see who gets Bruney on signing day 2018
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #82
AmonRa777
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

AmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Jackson is at least 6 feet... she’s long and quick. Gonna be a pest on defense one she learns how to play with all of that length.
I also hear she has a pull up jumper Tiffany Mitchel would be proud of...Ms. Jackson is a fine addition to the program
Old 10-29-2017, 02:28 PM   #83
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11967
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I hope you’re joking. A’ja is a leading candidate for NPOY and returning MOP of the final four. Dawn doesn’t need to resort to lame gamesmanship to “trick” our opponents. They know A’ja. They know her game. They know it well.

Their isn’t a coach on our schedule that hasn’t started thinking about or preparing for A’ja. They won’t be surprised that she’s 6’5 and they won’t be surprised that she’s punishing them down low.
It was having a little fun - I don't think anyone is not aware of A'ja's inside game or is thinking she will be used as a PG and spend the year on the perimeter jacking up threes.

It is funny that everyone is panicking about the heights and whether we have enough size. All it takes is posting some heights that are obviously on the low side. If anything, we have more size and inside power than last year. Maybe after A'ja leaves, we will have issues. Not this year.

And Brunelle can definitely help us with the height thingy.

Last edited by Ace Dilcock; 10-29-2017 at 05:28 PM..
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #84
DorchesterGamecock
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
It was having a little fun - I don't think anyone not aware of A'ja's inside game or is thinking she will be used as a PG and spend the year on the perimeter jacking up threes.

It is funny that everyone is panicking about the heights and whether we have enough size. All it takes is posting some heights that are obviously on the low side. If anything, we have more size and inside power than last year. Maybe after A'ja leaves, we will have issues. Not this year.

And Brunelle can definitely help us with the height thingy.
Agreed. I think our post situation is much better this year than last.. we don’t have a lot of true centers (none really).. but we have a nice rotation of 4 forwards (5 if you include Grissett who’s going to swing between 3/4)..

I think this year is Harrigan’s coming out party.
DorchesterGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #85
DorchesterGamecock
Starter

Male

DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
yeah i saw her pictured in that awful green uniform on twitter...Gotta be quite a battle to see who gets Bruney on signing day 2018
I’m hoping we make the next cut for Brunelle... she’s already been to SC twice on her own dime and seems to like us a lot but the more I see her visiting other schools (Louisville, Kentucky and most recently, Notre Dame) the more nervous I get..
Old 11-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #86
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
JDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPit

Brunelle attended last night’s game against Maryland.
JDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #87
FLgamecockJAX
Blue Chip

Male

FLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spurs

I sure hope we land Bruney. Watching what Mary Lou Samuelson is doing for UCONN, I sure don't want to see Bruney on that team with Christyn Williams.
FLgamecockJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:15 AM   #88
DorchesterGamecock
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgamecockJAX View Post
I sure hope we land Bruney. Watching what Mary Lou Samuelson is doing for UCONN, I sure don't want to see Bruney on that team with Christyn Williams.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I don't know if this is on purpose or an honest mistake but if it is on purpose then bravo sir..
Old 11-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #89
AmonRa777
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgamecockJAX View Post

Bruney is a better all around player than Katy Lou...Whoever lands her will be getting a great one...We have a chance..But as with all superior prospects, it gonna be a battle
Old 11-15-2017, 09:05 PM   #90
FLgamecockJAX
Blue Chip

Male

FLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spurs

Quote:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I don't know if this is on purpose or an honest mistake but if it is on purpose then bravo sir..
Roflol!!!! No, an honest mistake. I can't take credit for that being intentional.

As for Bruney being a better all around prospect, that is what I'm concerned with. Thus the reason I sure hope we can get her. Katy Lou was good last year. I was really impressed with her Sunday.

Combine Bruney with ONO and CW......come on Dawn and staff. We don't need to see that!
FLgamecockJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #91
Cockfather
Walk On

Male

Cockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his combCockfather is developing his comb

I see no scenario in which she chooses SC. Probably UCONN, FSU, Texas, some National program. South Carolina is still not a national program. Outside of the PG position the best players to choose SC have been from either SC or NC. Outside of that, it’s been transfers.

Looks like not even a National Championship and Staley being named USA Olympic coach has changed that.
Cockfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #92
GeoCocky66
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 721
GeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockfather View Post
I see no scenario in which she chooses SC. Probably UCONN, FSU, Texas, some National program. South Carolina is still not a national program. Outside of the PG position the best players to choose SC have been from either SC or NC. Outside of that, it’s been transfers.

Looks like not even a National Championship and Staley being named USA Olympic coach has changed that.
UConn is UConn, so I won't argue that, and Stanford recruits 'nationally', but I view them in a different class because of their academics. Texas has 4 commits for 2018 and they're all from Texas. Baylor's class is from CA, TX, TX, MD and AZ, but last year their 4 players were from TX, TX, TX and LA. Tennessee recruits nationally (largely on the strength of their past success), but still gets much of their talent from TN, GA and FL. Notre Dame? IN, NY, NY, and OH. Our classes from 2016-2018 (excluding transfers and Troup) have come from: Fl, GA, NC, AL, FL, IN, MA, FL and FL. The reality is that there are few 'national programs' in women's basketball, and we've suffered from a downswing in talent in the Carolinas the last couple years. I was hoping for a better outcome for the class of 2018, but we've gotten 2 great players. The Natty came too late for a number of the top players in the 2018 class, and losing Nikki couldn't have helped. I agree that we're not 'there' yet, but I think it's unrealistic to expect us to go toe to toe with UConn at this point; my hope is that our success plus Dawn's Olympic status will help more with 2019 and 2020.
GeoCocky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #93
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
JDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPit

Quote:

Perhaps, and after recent outcomes in recruiting there’s good reason to doubt USC’s chances of getting her to come here. Still she has visited campus twice, bringing her mom to take a look at the campus while on at least the first one and she’s also talked up USC in the media. So, however foolish, I’ll hold out a little hope.
JDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #94
uscandy
4-Star

Male

uscandy is making other chickens nervoususcandy is making other chickens nervoususcandy is making other chickens nervoususcandy is making other chickens nervoususcandy is making other chickens nervoususcandy is making other chickens nervoususcandy is making other chickens nervous

Quote:

We should be a national program now. Why we’re struggling on the recruiting trail after winning the national championship is beyond me.
uscandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #95
DorchesterGamecock
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
UConn is UConn, so I won't argue that, and Stanford recruits 'nationally', but I view them in a different class because of their academics. Texas has 4 commits for 2018 and they're all from Texas. Baylor's class is from CA, TX, TX, MD and AZ, but last year their 4 players were from TX, TX, TX and LA. Tennessee recruits nationally (largely on the strength of their past success), but still gets much of their talent from TN, GA and FL. Notre Dame? IN, NY, NY, and OH. Our classes from 2016-2018 (excluding transfers and Troup) have come from: Fl, GA, NC, AL, FL, IN, MA, FL and FL. The reality is that there are few 'national programs' in women's basketball, and we've suffered from a downswing in talent in the Carolinas the last couple years. I was hoping for a better outcome for the class of 2018, but we've gotten 2 great players. The Natty came too late for a number of the top players in the 2018 class, and losing Nikki couldn't have helped. I agree that we're not 'there' yet, but I think it's unrealistic to expect us to go toe to toe with UConn at this point; my hope is that our success plus Dawn's Olympic status will help more with 2019 and 2020.
I agree with a lot of this. I think SC will actually really start to reap the fruits of the national title a few years from now... so the 2020, ‘21, ‘22 classes.

SC has a really good point guard in Loyal McQueen from Florence (Jolette Law’s hometown) that’s starting to get a lot of national buzz. She will probably be a top 25 player or higher. SC better not let a UConn or Notre Dame come into our state and swipe her away only to be sent up north to ride the bench for 3 years.

As for Brunelle, I’ll say it... UConn. Geno gets who he wants and they really want Brunelle. He won’t take no for an answer. We can keep recruiting her, but we need to have a back up plan so we’re not here again. I honestly think we have a better shot with Amihere... Brunelle seems enthused with UConn right now, plus she has great relationships with the two players that just committed there. I don’t really get a “blaze your own path” vibe from Brunelle. Not everybody can be a Wilson.

I feel like we aimed really high with this class and ended up with egg on our face... two months ago if you had told me that we would’ve struck out on Smith, DeCosta, Williams AND Nelson-Ododa I would’ve laughed at you. No, I didn’t think we’d get all but I thought we’d get ONE at least.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #96
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645373229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscandy View Post
We should be a national program now. Why we’re struggling on the recruiting trail after winning the national championship is beyond me.
I wouldn’t say we’re “struggling”. If FB or MBB signed the numbers 9 and 50 prospects and had a former top ten as a transfer, we’d be giddy. We may not be a Final Four type squad in 2018-19, but we will still be good.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:46 PM   #97
DorchesterGamecock
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscandy View Post
WBB is still a sport where the old boys club (or “girls club”) dominates.. Sure, we got one... but so does Maryland and Louisville.. like I said in a previous post, I think we’ll benefit most from this title in a few years.. once we get to players that only know SC as a winning program/one of the elites. Most of this 2018 class already had an idea of where they wanted to go... it’s not often that 99 out of the top 100 are committed by the early signing period. That’s very unusual.

It’s gonna take more than just one title to dismantle a dynasty and start winning head to head recruiting battles against them consistently.. it’s going to take a continuance of our winning tradition and staying within striking distance of the elite programs. We haven’t arrived yet. We’re still trending up.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:00 AM   #98
USCharleston2
Veteran

Male

CockyCash: 450
USCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPit

Quote:
WBB is still a sport where the old boys club (or “girls club”) dominates.. Sure, we got one... but so does Maryland and Louisville.. like I said in a previous post, I think we’ll benefit most from this title in a few years.. once we get to players that only know SC as a winning program/one of the elites. Most of this 2018 class already had an idea of where they wanted to go... it’s not often that 99 out of the top 100 are committed by the early signing period. That’s very unusual.

It’s gonna take more than just one title to dismantle a dynasty and start winning head to head recruiting battles against them consistently.. it’s going to take a continuance of our winning tradition and staying within striking distance of the elite programs. We haven’t arrived yet. We’re still trending up.
Took Pat and Geno a very long time to get to the top. There are no shortcuts....
USCharleston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:40 AM   #99
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

If teams like Baylor, Louisville, ND are still able to reload every year without difficulty we should be able to do it too. It's not just the one Championship its a stretch of years where we are going to the final four and being 1 seed usually sometimes a 2 seed. SEC championships as well. MSU and Tennessee just pulled in big classes and they aren't winning the rings, and we have needs and we can only get 2 players? There really isn't really any excuse or defense or explanation for it. It's one of those it's what is it is things we love so much. Time to move on from worrying about next year and just focus on this year and hope Dawn can bring in some good transfers again.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:01 AM   #100
bbbbookert
Walk On

Male

bbbbookert has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
If teams like Baylor, Louisville, ND are still able to reload every year without difficulty we should be able to do it too. It's not just the one Championship its a stretch of years where we are going to the final four and being 1 seed usually sometimes a 2 seed. SEC championships as well. MSU and Tennessee just pulled in big classes and they aren't winning the rings, and we have needs and we can only get 2 players? There really isn't really any excuse or defense or explanation for it. It's one of those it's what is it is things we love so much. Time to move on from worrying about next year and just focus on this year and hope Dawn can bring in some good transfers again.
No transfer unless grad, i think that mite be why we are in the situation we are in we need high schoolers
bbbbookert is offline   Reply With Quote