CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kick_ball
MountainCock
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
2k15
Blitzkrieg
kingofnerf
smoovecock
GoldenSpur7
gotrice?
2017 North South Shr (1075)
New Star Wars Traile (560)
The Eagles to perfor (213)
UVERSE TV and Intern (209)
Colonial Life (204)
Holiday memes, jokes (147)
The Most Satisfying (20)
2017 North South Shrine B
Georgia State University
Question regarding new OC
2018 Commitment - Bryce T
2018 - KJ Henry
Colonial Life
New Star Wars Trailer
2018 - Jovaughn Gwyn
2018 - Dylan Wonnum
Bentley Offensive Philoso

Old 12-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #1601
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 11000000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Roper is out

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdude21 View Post
I think most of us can agree on that. Unfortunately I don't think he'd stay for more than a season or two. Seems to like to move a lot.
This is certainly conjecture, but if we get an OC who turns us around in short order (which I believe to be likely) then you'd have to imagine the OC will be a hot coaching commodity, hailed as "the man who finally created an offense for Will Muschamp." I can see the tenure being quite short unless we luck into a Venables type.

While some OCs may shy away from Muschamp, I also feel it's a great opportunity for one who is confident. Other than UGA, the East is down or in flux. Many of the pieces are in place at USC. The offensive line shows promise. A talented QB is on the roster with another on the way. Very good WRs and TEs. Pretty good RB stable.

Personally, I'd like to see what Brian Wright from Toledo could do with us.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #1602
Gamecock Stock
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Gamecock Stock is USC mascot materialGamecock Stock is USC mascot materialGamecock Stock is USC mascot materialGamecock Stock is USC mascot materialGamecock Stock is USC mascot materialGamecock Stock is USC mascot materialGamecock Stock is USC mascot materialGamecock Stock is USC mascot materialGamecock Stock is USC mascot materialGamecock Stock is USC mascot materialGamecock Stock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post

Personally, I'd like to see what Brian Wright from Toledo could do with us.
Oh man, Brian Wright of Toledo would be a GRAND SLAM HOME RUN hire. I think he is the BEST Offensive Coordinator in the nation.
Gamecock Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #1603
Cartiaze
X factor

Male

CockyCash: 3000
Cartiaze has earned his spursCartiaze has earned his spursCartiaze has earned his spursCartiaze has earned his spursCartiaze has earned his spursCartiaze has earned his spurs
Default Re: Roper's future

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
Didn't know it was a prerequisite to be spot on with inside information. But sure. What I have related is this:

If Roper takes the Rice job, then we'll never know for certain what Muschamp's real feeling were. Some suggested he's allowing Roper to get the job and people I know on the inside are saying that's bogus. Muschamp is more upset right now that he's not in 100% recruiting mode unlike Spurrier in the past. He wants all of his pawns out fighting. Roper is a distraction because there is some level of interest from Rice.

I maintained (and still do) that Roper is not the first target for Rice. I don't think he will get the job despite what some on here are sharing as supposed news from Rice people. Tracking flights, etc.

So the only way I actually could be proven wrong is if Rice does not hire Roper and Roper gets fired as some have suggested will happen and I say will not happen.

So yea, sure. If Rice doesn't hire Roper and if Roper is then fired by Muschamp, I'll stop posting if that is the consensus of the posters on this messageboard.

I thought this was a place for rational sharing of content. I haven't trashed anyone. I have simply shared insight that I am getting from someone who actually sees Roper, Muschamp and most team members on a daily basis.

I think Muschamp runs a tight ship and unlike Tennessee who screwed up royally by airing all of the dirty laundry, Muschamp and Tanner know how to keep things in their inner circle.

So despite what I am sharing and what others are as well - we could all be way wrong. All I know is that I have been blessed to support the University somewhat handsomely over the years and that support has afforded me just a little contact with people who see and talk with the staff and their families regularly. They work with and speak with their kids, wives, husbands and etc.

All I am sharing is that if Roper is being forced out and being asked or recommended to find a job, he and his wife don't know about it. If anyone on the staff knows about it then they are not sharing that either. Just the opposite. They are saying that they've heard nothing at all.

So either Muschamp is the most intimidating man to ever hold a head coaching position or these people are just loyal to a fault or they simply have not heard anything because nothing of the sort has been going on.

Muschamp is a no-nonsense, no reason to talk about stuff that isn't happening so that is why he has addressed the media with "sure" and "that's the plan" when asked about Roper being the OC.

Now it is possible that Roper has talked with Muschamp about his desire to be the Rice head coach and Muschamp is simply allowing him the courtesy that Roper deserves to explore that. Muschamp may or may not be happy about it, but from the input I have heard (mostly the chirping of crickets), Roper has no clue about Muschamp asking him to find employment to save face or protect recruiting.

For all those that want to think otherwise, gracious that is your right. But from what I'm hearing Rice wants a Stanford connection or another proven coach. Roper, if hired would only happen because the other two couldn't come to terms. Rice fans don't have the clout that Tennessee fans displayed to create a social media uproar, but I don't think the average Rice fan cares much about anything but baseball.

Roper would be "acceptable" but not their choice.

Rice will bring all of this to a close the moment that make their hire. If it's Roper, then we'll never know unless Muschamp calls a press conference to share that he asked Roper to find a job. I don't think he operates that way so only a chosen few would ever know.

If Roper does not get that job, we'll get an answer right after the bowl game as to whether I had accurate information or not. I stand by the fact that Roper will be the OC for the bowl game and the 2018 season.

If we don't improve, Muschamp will make a new hire.

It doesn't take a Nostradamus to see the logic in this. People who are saying Muschamp is forcing Roper out, don't know Muschamp. (Not after two seasons unless there was a lot of disagreement among the staff and I have heard nothing related to that.)
Yikes. Eat crown much? Remember, cant respond.
Cartiaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #1604
garnetmike
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10200
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material
Default Re: Roper's future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartiaze View Post
Yikes. Eat crown much? Remember, cant respond.
Read much? Where have you been? Feel free to read 10-15 pages back. I usually drink my “crown” though.

Per posting...

You can simply ignore mine
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #1605
gearhead302
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 3809
gearhead302 is crowing loudlygearhead302 is crowing loudlygearhead302 is crowing loudlygearhead302 is crowing loudlygearhead302 is crowing loudlygearhead302 is crowing loudlygearhead302 is crowing loudlygearhead302 is crowing loudlygearhead302 is crowing loudlygearhead302 is crowing loudlygearhead302 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Drinkwitz.
God I hope not. We handled them in game one
gearhead302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #1606
garnetmike
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10200
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

I wish there was a clear cut choice and that we could all look into the future and see that our next OC was awesome. Muschamp does as well.

Unfortunately we can all speculate but we’ll have to hope muschamp chooses great and the results are as well.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #1607
gamecockclint
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5500
gamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot materialgamecockclint is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead302 View Post
God I hope not. We handled them in game one
Not really. They had nearly double the yardage we had. Deebo' s ridiculous day won us that game.
gamecockclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #1608
Ironfan
Banned

CockyCash: 210160
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

We will probably end up with a non proven Roper type OC.
Ironfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #1609
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11267
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Boom already went the same route with Brent Pease, former Boise State OC, and that was the hire that cost him his job at UF. Two years of nothing on Offense.

Drinkwitz had some success at NC State but a large part of their improvement was that he brought a veteran QB (Finley) with him and inherited two talented athletes, Jaylen Samuels and Nyheim Hines. It remains to be seen how good he is without Finley and his two all-purpose guys - Finley and Samuels are Seniors, Hines is a Junior.

The Boise State Offense works against their opponents because they typically have better athletes. As a result, their OCs are in high demand.

In the ACC, the same schemes do not work as well because the Ds are better, and that is even more true in the SEC. I expect that he will improve our yardage some, but we will not score a lot more - his type of Offense has trouble in the Red Zone.

And he is not the wide-open fast attack guy that some people are wanting.
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #1610
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurz View Post
Yeah, this. People keep talking about our "scheme" and "system" and I honestly have no idea what they were for the past two years.
The word "awkward" comes to mind.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #1611
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 5399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

I'd like to know: Was this a Muschamp decision or a Tanner decision? Unless Muschamp is a liar, I think he was honest in his intentions when he said Roper was the OC and would be the OC for the bowl game. He defended Roper all year.
It seems that Tanner may have made this decision.

Can anyone confirm or deny?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #1612
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster McGee View Post
A&M’s perspective on Muschamp and Roper is funny. Funny coming from a school that lost its coach and only had 7 wins.
https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2914291
People outside of the USC nation see this pretty much the same way as a lot of us do.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #1613
Ironfan
Banned

CockyCash: 210160
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
I'd like to know: Was this a Muschamp decision or a Tanner decision? Unless Muschamp is a liar, I think he was honest in his intentions when he said Roper was the OC and would be the OC for the bowl game. He defended Roper all year.
It seems that Tanner may have made this decision.

Can anyone confirm or deny?
If Tanner forced his hand, UF all over again
Ironfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #1614
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
Unless Muschamp is a liar, I think he was honest in his intentions when he said Roper was the OC and would be the OC for the bowl game.
Not sure it matters, although it was likely a joint decision considering the $$ involved.

Things change, especially after the last game.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #1615
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
If Tanner forced his hand, UF all over again
Ray would have to approve the release. There are contractual considerations.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #1616
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29753100
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Yea, I just feel like it's too much of a coincidence that none of his OC's are working out to this point. What is the common denominator? He is going to have to go hands-off of play calling, philosophy, tempo for it to work, imo.
People are reading too much into his past hires.

He inherited a fairly dysfunctional offense from Urban, with a team full of thugs that had to be weeded out.

Weis wasn’t his pick, Fat Cholly was given to him as OC.

Pease actually came from a high scoring team at Boise, he simply fell flat on his face when he left that program.

Roper has a great offensive mind, very much like Champ has a great defensive mind. I believe the big issue is Champ can relate defense to his players, Roper may have difficulty relating offense.

IMHO that’s one reason he stayed up in the box and used Symmes as a “go between” to the QB.

All season long the plays were there...the players didn’t execute.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #1617
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
All season long the plays were there...the players didn’t execute.
Not in the run game.

We were too easy to defend even if the players "executed".

We left defenders unblocked or unaccounted for.

Our run game was overrun with speed against better teams. All the opposing LBs had to do was watch and charge on those power run plays.

There are smarter ways to run an offense.

And the main player who struggled was coached by our former OC, who also made a mess out of his QB when at UF.

Will hired the wrong guy. This is all on Will.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #1618
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 9900000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Muschamp has apparently talked to both Drinkwitz and Werner.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #1619
sporkgod50
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBrooks View Post
First time we score 40 points on someone that matters you won't have that opinion.
lets hope that points in a football game never make our fanbase ok with rape.

Le Olive de Sudan!
sporkgod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #1620
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
lets hope that points in a football game never make our fanbase ok with rape.