CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spur's Addiction
Captain9Dragons
Master Bedroom
SanAntonioCock
Canefaninsc
Three and Out
taylorssc
MountainCock
smoovecock
AR1
2018 - Rashod Batema (1185)
Scott Frost will coa (625)
Asteroid or Spaceshi (512)
Bowl Practice (495)
tv refresh rate for (96)
2018 - Channing Tindall
Martin on the fans
2018 Commitment - Kingsle
2018 - Bryce Thompson
The Official "#Spurs
2018 Commitment - Dakereo
2018 Commitment - Israel
2018 Commitment - Jesus G
2019 - Quavaris Crouch
tv refresh rate for 4k fl

Old 12-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #101
BiscoCocky
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5500
BiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot material
Default Re: Question regarding new OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGCfan View Post
As I said above just because they had a mediocre coach not succeed with it doesn’t mean the whole system is bunk. This whole argument is founded on a ridiculous premise because we’re arguing that what works elsewhere in college wouldn’t work in the SEC because for some magic reason once a player gets to the SEC his 40 time goes up a half second, he puts on 50 pounds of muscle, and now spread offenses are completely neutered by the sheer athleticism of the almighty SEC. This is an offense that has worked with decent success against the best ever iteration of the SEC defense model. Just because Kevin sumlin limited the general success of the team doesn’t mean it is a failure in the conference.

And besides, why would we want to do the same thing everybody else in the SEC does? If the goal is to win against Alabama in order to win SEC and National titles one day, why would we follow the same model of other teams that never beat Bama. Even though those teams get better recruits than us they still don’t beat Bama and yet we want to do the same old thing because clearly the SEC is too good for any new fangled offensive systems. It doesn’t make any sense
No one is questioning the systems those teams ran , people are questioning why you seem think ATM and Ole Miss were successful, when they beat Bama ONCE and Twice with no titles between them. Your whole point is invalid because beating a combined 3 times isn't success, now had you used AUBURN or even the taters as an example people wouldn't be questioning what you think success is. No one has even mentioned your argument about not being able to win a title w a HUNH system or an air raid offense, they are just pointing out that THE EXAMPLES YOU choose have a combined 0 conference and division titles. For the record I actually agreee w you and think we need a variation of HUNH and some tempo throw in. If we go pro style 8wins maybe our ceiling.
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #102
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscoCocky View Post
For the record I actually agreee w you and think we need a variation of HUNH and some tempo throw in. If we go pro style 8wins maybe our ceiling.
IMO, not having an accurate passer negates most of the advantages of the different offensive variations.

At this juncture for us, QB coaching/recruiting is as important if not more than schemes.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #103
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
There is a lot of revisionist history with Clemson's coordinators. People seem to want to think that Dabo went and paid top dollar for the two best coordinators, out-bidding their employers.

Morris was a successful HS coach and Tulsa raised a lot of eyebrows when they made him OC without any prior college experience. Tulsa made a coaching change after Morris' first season - promoting an Offensive position coach to the top spot, meaning Morris might have been out a job anyway - and Clemson hired him for 450K, less than what we are paying Roper and McLendon (McClendon gets 350K base, but 150K in outside compensation). Clemson eventually bumped Morris to 1.3 million when he was successful but they got him cheap.

Which is why I shake my head when people think Bentley would be a reach - he actually has a similar resume to Morris, but with more college experience. Those same people are saying we should pay top dollar to hire a great OC like Clemson did.

Venables left Oklahoma after Stoops hired his brother, basically demoting Venables to Co-DC. Venables was paid well to come to Clemson but was only getting 440K when he was at Oklahoma, with not much of a future.
Excellent post. Facts are facts. Iím not opposed to us spending big for an elite, proven coach, but I also think Bentley is an intriguing alternative option...and people who are ridiculing the idea are absolutely underestimating what he brings to the table.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #104
CockyCody
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000400
CockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
Excellent post. Facts are facts. Iím not opposed to us spending big for an elite, proven coach, but I also think Bentley is an intriguing alternative option...and people who are ridiculing the idea are absolutely underestimating what he brings to the table.
Hey, ridiculing is what gets done the best around here.
CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #105
BiscoCocky
Blue Chip

Male

BiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
IMO, not having an accurate passer negates most of the advantages of the different offensive variations.

At this juncture for us, QB coaching/recruiting is as important if not more than schemes.
I agree, running a scheme that's fun and innovative is/can be a recruiting tool. That's why I think it will be Lahslee.
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #106
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 6000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

"Well paid" = made him one of the top 5 highest paid assistant coached in all of 'merica.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:25 PM   #107
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Itís being reported that Troy Walters will be joining Frost at Nebraska, so it looks like that rumor mill option is off the table.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:51 AM   #108
kacrosinsc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 89245
kacrosinsc is crowing loudlykacrosinsc is crowing loudlykacrosinsc is crowing loudlykacrosinsc is crowing loudlykacrosinsc is crowing loudlykacrosinsc is crowing loudlykacrosinsc is crowing loudlykacrosinsc is crowing loudlykacrosinsc is crowing loudlykacrosinsc is crowing loudlykacrosinsc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockylaw View Post
Moving on from any discussion of our former OC.

Do we have the talent on offense to attract a high-caliber, external OC?

Some of our fans insist we do and usually back up their assertion by listing names. I think we have ok talent but very far from top-level, SEC talent. There were A LOT of plays there to be made this year that weren't made.

Just curious how any potential OC candidates would look at this job. Do we have the talent where they can step in and be immediately successful? If so, we should have a fairly easy time making a hire (provided we are willing to cough up the $). Will candidates view it as a rebuild where they have to stock up on talent? If so, that will likely limit our choices a bit.

Who do we have on offense that a potential OC would look at and say "I want to go there to work with THAT player."?
We have talent. Jake, Deebo, Bryan, both Smith's what we do not have is guys who play in Beast mode. Hurst was in full Beast mode. A true warrior. It does not appear that the others have the heart to be all they can be. But, the talent is there if someone can maximize it. Jake will be fine I believe, as well as Deebo, but, who after them is going to step up their game?
kacrosinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:20 AM   #109
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 9900000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyrooster View Post
Any idea who are the legitimate leading candidates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Barber has reported that Muchamp contacted Drinkwitz, Dan Werner, and Phil Longo so far. I don't know how reliable that information is though.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:45 AM   #110
Three and Out
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

add Troy Walters OC from UCF to the list of contacted coaches
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #111
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 3500
cocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
add Troy Walters OC from UCF to the list of contacted coaches
I think he decided to go to Nebraska with Frost
Old 12-08-2017, 07:13 AM   #112
wilgolf72
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
wilgolf72 has hatched from the shell

Jake just needs to forget what he learned at the manning qb camp, he has been off since going to it
wilgolf72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:16 AM   #113
cockylaw
Banned

Male

cockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocknblue View Post
I think he decided to go to Nebraska with Frost
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilgolf72 View Post
Jake just needs to forget what he learned at the manning qb camp, he has been off since going to it
We're a better job than Nebraska and surely we can pay more.
cockylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #114
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1593234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

is the bowl game an interview for McClendon?

Is anyone else not a fan of the game interviews, for any position, from HC to coordinators?
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #115
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 9900000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
is the bowl game an interview for McClendon?

Is anyone else not a fan of the game interviews, for any position, from HC to coordinators?
With news that Muschamp has been contacting various coordinators, I think it's more of a continuity thing going into the bowl game than anything else. No need to hire a new guy to try putting in a new system with only a handful of practices before show time.

Unless we go out there and hang 70 points on Michigan, I don't think McClendon is going to be the first name on the list for OC.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #116
cockylaw
Banned

Male

cockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
With news that Muschamp has been contacting various coordinators, I think it's more of a continuity thing going into the bowl game than anything else. No need to hire a new guy to try putting in a new system with only a handful of practices before show time.

Unless we go out there and hang 70 points on Michigan, I don't think McClendon is going to be the first name on the list for OC.
Under different circumstances, I think McLendon might get a shot, but Champ doesn't have that luxury. Given Champ's horrible track with OCs, this next hire absolutely can't miss. He can't take a chance on an up-and-comer type. He needs to go with a proven OC.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #117
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11267
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockylaw View Post
Under different circumstances, I think McLendon might get a shot, but Champ doesn't have that luxury. Given Champ's horrible track with OCs, this next hire absolutely can't miss. He can't take a chance on an up-and-comer type. He needs to go with a proven OC.
I agree that Boom will try to make a splash hire, but he does not want to lose McClendon or Bentley. By waiting until after the bowl game, I think that McClendon is still a possibility - if he does well.

I get the "not proven" thing, but McClendon is a respected assistant coach, is co-OC now, called plays as an interim HC in a bowl win for UGA, and Boom knows what he can and can't do. And if you pair him up with Bentley, who is widely regarded as an Offensive genius, then you have something.

It will be interesting to see how the playcalling changes for the bowl game. If the changes are significant, and successful, then the issues were with Roper not listening to the input from McClendon and Bentley. If that is the case, hiring an outside OC would be unnecessary and potentially damaging to the coaching staff, and team and staff morale.

But note the "Ifs".
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #118
cockylaw
Banned

Male

Quote:
I agree that Boom will try to make a splash hire, but he does not want to lose McClendon or Bentley. By waiting until after the bowl game, I think that McClendon is still a possibility - if he does well.

I get the "not proven" thing, but McClendon is a respected assistant coach, is co-OC now, called plays as an interim HC in a bowl win for UGA, and Boom knows what he can and can't do. And if you pair him up with Bentley, who is widely regarded as an Offensive genius, then you have something.

It will be interesting to see how the playcalling changes for the bowl game. If the changes are significant, and successful, then the issues were with Roper not listening to the input from McClendon and Bentley. If that is the case, hiring an outside OC would be unnecessary and potentially damaging to the coaching staff, and team and staff morale.

But note the "Ifs".
Good points.

The trick with the one game audition is that McLendon very well could be a great OC, but that could not come through with a couple weeks of practices to prepare for one game. If it truly boils down to play calling and not system of philosophy, that may be easier for McLendon to show what he can do. The biggest knock on Roper was the predictability of this play calling and lack of variety. If McLendon shows in the bowl game that our current offense can be successful just by mixing up the calls better, then maybe.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #119
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 940058
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

As far as play calling, I still think Roper was hamstringed by the personel he had to play most of the year. Deebo gone, Dowdle and Oline was a MASH unit most of the year and ect ect. Its a wonder we could score 7 points per game.
Not saying Roper should not have been fired but just making light there was much more going on than just play calling and philosophies.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #120
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6200
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

But note the "Ifs".

If McLendon is co-OC, that should disqualify him immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk