CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
carolina_corpsman
Master Bedroom
TastyLicks
rt3891
gamecockphan
SwampFox
dreammachine
SanAntonioCock
FurmanCock
Sure, it's a long sh (909)
Domesticated Foxes? (386)
GH Recommends: Histo (191)
Uncharted 4 (157)
NCAAF: GEORGIA @ MIS (137)
Shinedown & Gods (80)
Erskine Football?
Remembering Kenny
CFN: South Carolina vs. V
Will the Gamecocks Score
Bar-B-Que In South Caroli
Man - Fire - Food
Willy B upgrades to cost
CFN: Daily Five: 2019 SEC
Sure, it's a long shot
Gamecock Tipoff - October

Old 02-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material
Default 2018 Football Season - Returning Players

With all the new incoming recruits that we have been discussing for the last couple of weeks for the 2018 Football Season, who do you think that is currently a "red-shirt freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior" that is going to have a big impact on our team this year and who may be flying under the radar that is going to have that coming out year this year and surprise everyone?

To me, I think that S. Blackshear on the defensive side of the ball is finally going to be the player we all think that he can be and I also think that Jacob August is going to have an outstanding year as he does have the size and great hands that are needed to be an outstanding receiver.

What say you?
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
Y Formation
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11840
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 Football Season - Returning Players

I'm praying for Deebo to have a season like the one he started last year. If he can stay healthy, he could have one of the best season's ever by a WR and returner as a Gamecock.

Rico, too. He needs to stay healthy and I think he could bust out.

Kiesan Nixon showed his true potential and could be very special next year.
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

I am looking forward to see what coach Dillman does with the new guys, but more importantly the guys that have been in his system for a few years now should really be seeing benefits start to pay off. I know he has been whipping them into shape for a week or so at this point.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Keisean Nixon should be a starter at the Corner spot next across from Fenton. However, I could easily see him playing Safety next to Montac and Tavyn Jackson starting at Corner.

I think Shameik Blackshear is going to continue to his solid play from the end of the last season but I doubt he will be a front line starter.

Kobe Smith is going to take his game to another level this year.

I think Sherrod Greene will have a big year as well.

Offensively, its time that Bryan Edwards became a star. He is the most underrated receiver in the conference. Deebo is going to get the publicity but Edwards is our bell cow. GET HIM THE BALL.

I expect Rico Dowdle to bounce back nicely from last season.

I also think KC Crosby finishes his career with a nice season but I don't think we are going to be using as much of the Tight End this year as we have been.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
AndersonCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Do y’all think Jake will be a complete QB next year? Or will he he continue to overthrow receivers? As good as our offense can be 75% of it is on Jake’s shoulders. Do y’all think the run blocking will improve it was poor in my opinion last year but pass blocking was pretty solid.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Formation View Post
I'm praying for Deebo to have a season like the one he started last year.
I love Deebo, and he's exciting as all get out. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Offensively, its time that Bryan Edwards became a star. He is the most underrated receiver in the conference. Deebo is going to get the publicity but Edwards is our bell cow. GET HIM THE BALL.
I think Brian Edwards has become my favorite receiver too. He has become such as good hands/possession receiver. He made SOOOO man clutch catches this past year.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29698000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
Do y’all think Jake will be a complete QB next year? Or will he he continue to overthrow receivers? As good as our offense can be 75% of it is on Jake’s shoulders. Do y’all think the run blocking will improve it was poor in my opinion last year but pass blocking was pretty solid.
The run blocking wasn't as good as it could've been, but it wasn't as bad as some have made it out to be.

Despite Helms and Knott struggling at times, there were a TON of plays where the hole was there and our RBs missed it and made the wrong cut.

I also think concerns about Jake are valid, two years in he's still streaky and inconsistent. If the game doesn't start "slowing down" for him this year then he may have peaked potential wise.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #8
CoverTwo

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
Two words, Dan Werner.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 02-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

A trio of linebackers looks ready to make some noise. Greene, Bowen, and BAW. I think we might see both Brad Johnson and A Sterling contribute at multiple positions. I also think Shi Smith and Ortre Smith will provide a lot of strike ability in different ways. I think AJ Turner will continue to show how valuable he is.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

I know that Bryan Edwards is a beast out there now and I hope he only gets better this upcoming season. I would love to see Deebo S - have an outstanding year, one that is injury free to help take the pressure off B. Edwards. We have depth at Tight End and I would like to see 2 or 3 of those guys step up and become another weapon for Jake Bentley.

D-Line, I really would love to see some guys have that light bulb go off for them this year and play above their projected talent level. It does happen sometimes and with the great defensive coaches we have I would love to see it happen to several of these guys in 2018. I know that Melvin Ingram was a project in the beginning and look what he turned into. It can happen if these young players want it bad enough.

Rico D become an SEC Nightmare for opposing coaches to deal with each game. I would also like to see A.J. Turner be turned loose to come out of the backfield and catch those swing passes and then turn on his jets like he is so capable of doing at times. I also hope that Tyson Williams gets a lot better as he does have the size and strength to become a much needed player to give Rico a rest for a couple of plays.

I hope our field goal kicker practices a lot this winter, spring, and throughout the summer and when the fall gets here - he is dead on the money each time!!!!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #11
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 25000000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

I cannot WAIT to see Jaylin Dickerson.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #12
lfowens
4-Star

CockyCash: 3000
lfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Keep your eye on this young man -> M.J. Webb. He has all the tools to be a very very good Defensive Lineman. He does need college level game time experience which I expect him to get - probably immediately. Once he settles in and gets game time experience, I expect him to be a stud.
lfowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #13
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 25000000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfowens View Post
Keep your eye on this young man -> M.J. Webb. He has all the tools to be a very very good Defensive Lineman. He does need college level game time experience which I expect him to get - probably immediately. Once he settles in and gets game time experience, I expect him to be a stud.
Agreed. One of the best offer lists of anyone on our team.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #14
CoverTwo

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
He is definitely one to be excited about but I’m concerned about his health. He is sitting out Spring Practice as a precaution.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #15
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

CockyCash: 16238
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

Eric Douglas, Kiel Pollard and Korey Banks are three I want to keep an eye on. Douglas maybe Center or guard this coming season, had an impressive RS year according to reports. I think Pollard has shown flashes and now is the time for him to step up big. Many thought Banks projected better as CB, after full redshirt season, and need there, I am hoping he comes out and plays well.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #16
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

About Blackshear.

He is listed at 6'4" and 260, but he looks heavier than that. Is he still mobile and quick enough to play DE or will he likely play inside? Or both?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #17
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

S. Blackshear is a young man that I have always pulled for and coming out of high school was rated a very good player. I know he has had a series of setbacks in his time at USC, but I would love to see him have that break-out year and turn into a monster on the D-Side of the ball.

Cover2 knows a lot about him and might want to give us all an update on what has happened to him since he first got here and where he stands now. He has all the tools to be a great player, but it seems as though luck has not been his friend.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #18
CoverTwo

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfowens View Post
From what I gather, he still has a long way to go. Probably looking at 2019 before he does anything substantial.

I expect Kinlaw, Smith, Thomas, Blackshear, Sterling, and Ellis to primarily be the guys at the 1, 3, 5. With Webb, Enagbare, and Sandidge playing similar roles to what Sterling did last year.

It would be really nice if Aaron Thompson started to come on. He is a wide body.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #19
Master Bedroom
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
He is definitely one to be excited about but I’m concerned about his health. He is sitting out Spring Practice as a precaution.
Shoulder?
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #20
CoverTwo

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
S. Blackshear is a young man that I have always pulled for and coming out of high school was rated a very good player. I know he has had a series of setbacks in his time at USC, but I would love to see him have that break-out year and turn into a monster on the D-Side of the ball.

Cover2 knows a lot about him and might want to give us all an update on what has happened to him since he first got here and where he stands now. He has all the tools to be a great player, but it seems as though luck has not been his friend.
He was pretty productive when he saw his snaps increase at the end of the season last year. Coaching staff still believes that he can be a contributor. It would be a big deal if he is ready to challenge for the vacant spot left by Sawyer. The battle between him and Aaron Sterling this Spring is going to be interesting.