CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Flameout12
gotrice?
TaySC
rt3891
Master Bedroom
Garnet&BlackOp
Blitzkrieg
Cocky2001
Ironfan
Week 8: Around Colle (1365)
The difference in ou (654)
NCAAF: NC STATE @ CL (172)
hard credit inquiry. (126)
NCAAF: MISS STATE @ (125)
NCAAF: ALABAMA @ TEN (119)
NCAAF: MICHIGAN @ MI (110)
NCAAF: AUBURN @ OLE (83)
NCAAF: FAU @ MARSHAL (59)
Game time vs Tenness (48)
Bentley or Scarnecchia ?
In-game adjustments, conf
Game time vs Tennessee
What Really Drags the Exc
Week 8: Around College Fo
A Few Thoughts On This Se
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Convince me these are all
Why are we so bad 1st hal
G-League offering $125k t

Old 02-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #21
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 Football Season - Returning Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Shoulder?
Yep. Pay sites say he is fine but is being held out as a precaution.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #22
Master Bedroom
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Yep. Pay sites say he is fine but is being held out as a precaution.
Dang, hope so
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #23
CoverTwo

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Ty'Son Williams needs to have a big Spring too. They have got to get his confidence back.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 02-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #24
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119154183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Interesting stats from last season:

USC finished 6th in the SEC in passing offense and 5th in passing attempts, but was only 11th in yards per attempt. We feasted on wideout screen passes and dump off passes. They helped us move the chains and stay on the field, and kept Bentley's completion % fairly high.

I wonder if this was as much a result of Roper's hesitancy to open up the offense, or is it the nature of his offensive philosophy. With all the capable WRs we'll have next season and a new OC, I would like to see us take more chances down the field, although I know Bentley was a little shaky on the longer passes. That's where hopefully Werner comes in to play with his role.

Then with the run game: USC finished 12th in the SEC in rushing offense, but not so coincidentally was also 12th in the league in rushing attempts. Perhaps those safer short passing plays were used like the typical run plays might: to move the chains. We dealt with injury issues at RB the past two seasons, but hopefully we'll be able to utilize the run game in a more balanced fashion next season....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #25
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 938208
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post

USC finished 6th in the SEC in passing offense and 5th in passing attempts, but was only 11th in yards per attempt. We feasted on wideout screen passes and dump off passes. They helped us move the chains and stay on the field, and kept Bentley's completion % fairly high.

I wonder if this was as much a result of Roper's hesitancy to open up the offense, or is it the nature of his offensive philosophy. With all the capable WRs we'll have next season and a new OC, I would like to see us take more chances down the field, although I know Bentley was a little shaky on the longer passes. That's where hopefully Werner comes in to play with his role.

Then with the run game: USC finished 12th in the SEC in rushing offense, but not so coincidentally was also 12th in the league in rushing attempts. Perhaps those safer short passing plays was used like the typical run plays might: to move the chains. We dealt with injury issues at RB the past two seasons, but hopefully we'll be able to utilize the run game in a more balanced fashion next season....
..I really think Roper was coaching the offense to keep the chains moving. Ball control and eating clock is what CWM likes but I do think he wanted to go down field more and have better QB and RB play.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #26
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
With all the capable WRs we'll have next season and a new OC, I would like to see us take more chances down the field, although I know Bentley was a little shaky on the longer passes. That's where hopefully Werner comes in to play with his role.....
Agree. Overall I was disappointed we didn't throw to the middle more, including shorter and deeper slants. Our offense looked like someone spilled coffee on parts of the play book.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #27
unccgamecock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
unccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Ty'Son Williams needs to have a big Spring too. They have got to get his confidence back.
I'm torn on Ty'Son . . . He looked to have some burst on a few runs (against Mizzou, aTm, LA Tech) and then looked to have absolutely no acceleration from hand off to get around defensive lineman or even make an attempt to get a few extra yards laterally vs LB's
unccgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #28
CoverTwo

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by unccgamecock View Post
I'm torn on Ty'Son . . . He looked to have some burst on a few runs (against Mizzou, aTm, LA Tech) and then looked to have absolutely no acceleration from hand off to get around defensive lineman or even make an attempt to get a few extra yards laterally vs LB's
It's like he is one of the those guys that is killer in practice and just hasn't taken it to game day. He has a ton of ability.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:14 AM   #29
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:

Then with the run game: USC finished 12th in the SEC in rushing offense, but not so coincidentally was also 12th in the league in rushing attempts. Perhaps those safer short passing plays were used like the typical run plays might: to move the chains. We dealt with injury issues at RB the past two seasons, but hopefully we'll be able to utilize the run game in a more balanced fashion next season....
After Debo got hurt, Shi was our only deep threat, and we didnít use him as much as we should have, perhaps because he was only a freshman.

I think our offense will be more wide open this year with more deeper threats with speed.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #30
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 8000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I mean people act like Edwards is slow. How many deep passes has he caught? He runs like a 4.5, which is what Dez Bryant runs.

I think the problem was more inability to block, or scheme to allow for time given inability to hold up, and Jake's accuracy issues.

There are very few skill position excuses for lack of potent offense last season that I find reasonable. Which is why I thought it was reasonable for Roper to get his walking papers, even given the potential that Muschamp is the problem.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #31
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by unccgamecock View Post
Yeah, he had some good runs didn't he? But he had a lot of pedestrian runs and he doesn't really get it going like Rico can. Having Rico was huge in our two good wins (First game and last game). To me, the bowl game kind of closed the case on him being on another level from the other guys.

I kind of think either Tyson is just a good athlete type who is big fast and strong and just gets what is there, or he is better but his confidence was hurt when Muschamp, and the other coaches really lost it on him for some bad cuts and put him on the bench. Muschamp really got mad about a few of them and even made some public comments that hinted at it. Could have spooked him from trying to be creative/aggressive.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #32
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
After Debo got hurt, Shi was our only deep threat, and we didnít use him as much as we should have, perhaps because he was only a freshman.

I think our offense will be more wide open this year with more deeper threats with speed.
I was frustrated several times watching Jake throw deep jump balls to 5-10 Shi Smith (in double coverage coverage sometimes). I know he jumps well, but we were lucky none were picked. I don't think any were completed. Smith is dangerous if he gets past coverage, and I think he will be good catching in a seam and making a move. The high deep balls should mainly go to the other Smith or Edwards.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #33
RphBallCoach
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5500
RphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPit

I think DS won’t hit his stride til mid-season so Edwards needs to keep up the good play.
I just don’t want to put a lot on Deebo until he really is a full go.
RphBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #34
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

CockyCash: 3000
rt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RphBallCoach View Post
I think DS wonít hit his stride til mid-season so Edwards needs to keep up the good play.
I just donít want to put a lot on Deebo until he really is a full go.
Deebo should be hitting his stride from week one, he should completely healed by then.
rt3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #35
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
I mean people act like Edwards is slow. How many deep passes has he caught? He runs like a 4.5, which is what Dez Bryant runs.

I think the problem was more inability to block, or scheme to allow for time given inability to hold up, and Jake's accuracy issues.

There are very few skill position excuses for lack of potent offense last season that I find reasonable. Which is why I thought it was reasonable for Roper to get his walking papers, even given the potential that Muschamp is the problem.
Edwards runs low 4.6’s. That just didn’t stretch the defense. This year we’ll have Debo, Shi and Vann, all can run.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:29 PM   #36
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 0
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Jake Bentley - it will be interesting to see if he can up his game and become the consistent QB that we all expected him to be.

Parker White - will he continue to improve and be reliable from inside 45 yards or will we be stuck with a kicker that is only good from 40 yards and less?

The above two I really think will improve in 2018 and will be a huge force for us moving forward.

The two I have heard listed that I have no confidence in whatsoever are T. Williams and S. Blackshear. Hope they prove me wrong, but nothing I have seen leads me to believe that they will ever be reliable as anything more than depth.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:47 PM   #37
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

rt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Jake Bentley - it will be interesting to see if he can up his game and become the consistent QB that we all expected him to be.

Parker White - will he continue to improve and be reliable from inside 45 yards or will we be stuck with a kicker that is only good from 40 yards and less?

The above two I really think will improve in 2018 and will be a huge force for us moving forward.

The two I have heard listed that I have no confidence in whatsoever are T. Williams and S. Blackshear. Hope they prove me wrong, but nothing I have seen leads me to believe that they will ever be reliable as anything more than depth.
Iím hoping Blackshearís light comes on for him. Heís a local kid from where I live and am really pulling for him. Would be nice to see him turn it around like MI6 did a few years ago. He was a 5* before he got injured his Jr. year.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #38
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
I’m hoping Blackshear’s light comes on for him. He’s a local kid from where I live and am really pulling for him. Would be nice to see him turn it around like MI6 did a few years ago. He was a 5* before he got injured his Jr. year.
He has worked very hard the last year in the weight room and getting in terrific shape, and he did get some snaps in 2017 but I don’t think it’s a matter of the light coming on. I just don’t think he’s talented enough. Maybe the knee injury and being shot had something to do with that. I don’t know.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #39
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

Quote:
He has worked very hard the last year in the weight room and getting in terrific shape, and he did get some snaps in 2017 but I donít think itís a matter of the light coming on. I just donít think heís talented enough. Maybe the knee injury and being shot had something to do with that. I donít know.
Letís just hope youíre wrong.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #40
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Edwards runs low 4.6’s. That just didn’t stretch the defense. This year we’ll have Debo, Shi and Vann, all can run.
https://247sports.com/Bolt/Big-ranki...wards-40301235

Agree on Blackshear. Lay off him with the expectations, any snaps we get out of him are upside.