CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
TastyLicks
SanAntonioCock
CapitolCock
Wisercock
GeoCocky66
MountainCock
FurmanCock
gotrice?
Master Bedroom
Sleep Well Tonight (762)
LSU player changes h (370)
50 People Try to Dic (304)
Taylor Stallworth Up (248)
Higher Mortality Ris (171)
Lexington Football r (50)
2019 - PG Josiah James (M
2019 - Quavaris Crouch
Surprised no one is talki
LSU player changes his nu
Video review challenges
Lexington Football radio
How is Jam Williams?
Ole Miss unveils its Land
Jeff Dillman Interview
Taylor Stallworth Update

Old 02-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #21
cocky0
Unmoderated

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 9890000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0
Default Re: Cooking/Frying/Grilling Fish

Well since nobody has mentioned it, shark tail. Cut into inch and a half thick steaks, pan fried with butter, garlic, and a squeeze of lemon.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #22
BigRedCock
kob's DADDY

Male

CockyCash: 5672
BigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
no worries...you use it one time and then discard. You can get them at kitchen shops or someting like that...they are usually like a 1/4" thick. You soak them for a while before your use them and then once done you toss them. I think we get ours from Amazon. Ususally like a pack of 8 or 10. I just now how to start buying it so I am not 100% sure. My parents had a redwood deck on their house that my father and I replaced a few years back. We then took the boards that we took up and planed them to make grilling planks. It worked really well but I ran out and I doubt my mom would like me cutting up her deck for my convenience!

Something else I have not used but interested in trying is one of the salt blocks.
I use my cedar planks an average of three times before discarding, depends how the char develops on the wood
BigRedCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #23
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Growing up in the South, all of us boys use to go to any good pond or small lake and try to catch all of the bream and bass that we could. My mother, who loved to fish and could out-fish just about any man when I was little, taught all of my brothers and me how to properly fish and also how to clean and gut a bream or bass. I grew up in a house that did not have A/C in it and my mother would not only help us catch and clean all of the fish we caught, she then would come in and fry them up for us along with wonderful homemade fries and hushpuppies. I did not understand just how hard that must have been on her back then as our old house could get very hot when you had that stove going in the middle of the summer. You don't see much of that anymore in our little small Southern towns and it is also hard to get permission to fish in anyone's private pond due to the way most people treat your property and also the legal issues tied to someone getting hurt or drowning in your pond.

I guess the days of "Seeing A Group Of Little Fellows & Maybe A Little Girl Tagging Along" are gone with a lot of other things in the South. Very sad, but true.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #24
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedCock View Post
I use my cedar planks an average of three times before discarding, depends how the char develops on the wood
mine are usually unusable due to char...so I stand corrected

TL, listen to him
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #25
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
Growing up in the South, all of us boys use to go to any good pond or small lake and try to catch all of the bream and bass that we could. My mother, who loved to fish and could out-fish just about any man when I was little, taught all of my brothers and me how to properly fish and also how to clean and gut a bream or bass. I grew up in a house that did not have A/C in it and my mother would not only help us catch and clean all of the fish we caught, she then would come in and fry them up for us along with wonderful homemade fries and hushpuppies. I did not understand just how hard that must have been on her back then as our old house could get very hot when you had that stove going in the middle of the summer. You don't see much of that anymore in our little small Southern towns and it is also hard to get permission to fish in anyone's private pond due to the way most people treat your property and also the legal issues tied to someone getting hurt or drowning in your pond.

I guess the days of "Seeing A Group Of Little Fellows & Maybe A Little Girl Tagging Along" are gone with a lot of other things in the South. Very sad, but true.
that is awesome memory/story
Old 02-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #26
Rooster'srule
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Or cod for a nice fish and chips!
Atlantic Cod is oily and nasty. Pacific Cod is great
Rooster'srule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #27
TastyLicks
1st Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 99823679
TastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post

I wouldn't want to fish in a pond or small lake down south because of gators
TastyLicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #28
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Fried Crappie > *

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #29
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyLicks View Post
I wouldn't want to fish in a pond or small lake down south because of gators

Well, I can understand that statement. Growing up in an area that has a major river in it and thousands of ponds, lakes and back-water holes, I think me and my little buddies swam in just about each and everyone there was. Sometimes the water would be so dark and sometimes stinky, but that is what little boys do or did back in those days. Yes, I am sure that many of these swimming holes and fishing holes had gators in them as I have had several Game Wardens tell me that just about everything down this way has or has had a gator in them. The Good LORD must have been watching over us as we would have made a tender meal for a big gator back then, but most of the times gators prefer to stay away from humans - if possible. I will say this though - if there were gators there, 99% of the time the place would also be loaded with fish. Chomp - Chomp!!!
Old 02-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #30
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
I only like grilled or baked fish. I don't like to put breading on it and fry it like many do.

My problem is that I am not any good at grilling fish! I would say most of the time it gets burned too much on the bottom and not enough all the way through. and what results is a mess that falls apart and sometimes inedible at the bottom. Can someone help me? what I am doing wrong. I grill other meat all the time like a pro but for some reason I can't do fish.

oh and to the OP question. I love Salmon and Tilapia but Mahi Mahi is the best
We usually just do salmon grilled. We use those baskets so that you can flip it easily.....

Also, leave the skin on...it helps protect it during grilling, and is easy to peel when it's cooked, a spatula goes right between it and the meat. Do your majority of grilling on the skin side. Also, after I kinda sear both sides (skin side first) I flip it back to the skin side and turn the temp down to let it bake a bit all the way though.

Just to reiterate, the above is just for salmon. Any other type of fish we bake in the oven on a sheet pan. We've also done salmon that way as well.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #31
CockRoche
ADIDAS

Male

CockyCash: 50600
CockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot material

Trigger fish, fresh tuna and snapper. Sprinkle liberally with Prudhomme's Redfish Magic. Get pan or griddle as hot as you can and throw chunk of butter in. Place fillet in pan and cook for just about two or three minutes per side.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:23 PM   #32
Nassau Gamecock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6200
Nassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot material

Growing up ...any bass, bream or crappie we caught all the time. Now Hog fish snapper is my fav- any of the fresh fish sauted or grilled with some lime and pepper- easy peasey and often.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #33
TastyLicks
1st Team All-American

Female

TastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
We usually just do salmon grilled. We use those baskets so that you can flip it easily.....

Also, leave the skin on...it helps protect it during grilling, and is easy to peel when it's cooked, a spatula goes right between it and the meat. Do your majority of grilling on the skin side. Also, after I kinda sear both sides (skin side first) I flip it back to the skin side and turn the temp down to let it bake a bit all the way though.

Just to reiterate, the above is just for salmon. Any other type of fish we bake in the oven on a sheet pan. We've also done salmon that way as well.
Wow! Thanks Chef Kob
Old 02-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #34
TastyLicks
1st Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Fried Crappie > *
You eat something called "crappie" !?
Old 02-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #35
BigRedCock
kob's DADDY

Male

CockyCash: 5672
BigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot materialBigRedCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I eat pieces of crappie for breakfast
BigRedCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #36
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

Old 02-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #37
gamecockpride
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
gamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervousgamecockpride is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Fried Crappie > *

This is a man of wisdom right here.
gamecockpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #38
Rooster'srule
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

Quote:
Everything I cook turns into crappie
Rooster'srule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #39
TastyLicks
1st Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
Everything I cook turns into crappie
by the sounds of it, you could have a popular restaurant with some of the posters here lol
Old 02-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #40
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

I forgot to add that I also love "Catfish Stew"!!!!