CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Three and Out
FurmanCock
TaySC
AR1
Captain9Dragons
rt3891
gotrice?
kick_ball
MountainCock
Gamecocks Men’s BBal (991)
2018 NCAA Super Regi (814)
rival School snob is (655)
Frozen SpaghettiO Po (373)
NCAA SELECTION THREA (361)
Astronaut Alan Bean (97)
2018-AJ Lawson
2018 NCAA Super Regional:
2019 - Zacch Pickens - Co
NBA Playoffs
2019 - Savion Jackson
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2019 - Quavaris Crouch
Josh Belk
NCAA SELECTION THREAD
Frozen SpaghettiO Pops

Old 05-17-2018, 11:43 AM   #141
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material
Default Re: Bowen declares for NBA draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
There's the answer. The NCAA is bound to do anything or anyone's timeline, which I think should be addressed. On questions of eligibility, it should be an expectation that a ruling is made in 15 days. This isn't a court of law, no one will go to prison if something is missed. If you can't clearly find evidence in two weeks that a kid took money or whatever, then you either aren't good enough or there's nothing there. Neither of which is a reason to punish the kid.

All that said, the easiest thing to do is nothing which the NCAA will. Bowen will be forced to go to the draft or sit on his hands another year and become more forgotten. 3 months later, if anyone asks, then they'll rule him eligible.
You nailed it on the head, if there is undeniable proof that Bowen is a problem he will be dealt with at that time. It's like a bond from a trial, you do have restrictions, but you get to live your life, until the court case is due. I don't get why the NCAA would look like a POS later. It's they did an investigation and couldn't find anything, or if they do then say he's ineligible from BBall forever. I actually think the one that is worse is Winston and the rape case at FSU, and he still got to play, so dealing with money=more important than a person getting raped to the NCAA. Goes to show how much more of a POS they are.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #142
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
You nailed it on the head, if there is undeniable proof that Bowen is a problem he will be dealt with at that time. It's like a bond from a trial, you do have restrictions, but you get to live your life, until the court case is due. I don't get why the NCAA would look like a POS later. It's they did an investigation and couldn't find anything, or if they do then say he's ineligible from BBall forever. I actually think the one that is worse is Winston and the rape case at FSU, and he still got to play, so dealing with money=more important than a person getting raped to the NCAA. Goes to show how much more of a POS they are.
I'm all for expediting this, but I don't think it will happen. I just think the NCAA feels that their hands are tied by the criminal investigation. If they cleared him to play and the FBI later found evidence of criminal conduct it raises an evidence issue in a subsequent legal action - either against him directly or people associated with him.

We are going to have to get used to the idea that Bowen will never play for SC.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #143
Blackland
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5200
Blackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot material

https://www.seccountry.com/south-car...all-louisville

NCAA = UNC + Duke They do not want him to play here.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #144
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
I'm all for expediting this, but I don't think it will happen. I just think the NCAA feels that their hands are tied by the criminal investigation. If they cleared him to play and the FBI later found evidence of criminal conduct it raises an evidence issue in a subsequent legal action - either against him directly or people associated with him.

That's why I mention bail, keep him tapped, and let him do his thing. If he is found guilty he goes to jail, if he's found innocent no harm no foul. I don't see where the NCAA looks bad, do your investigation if you feel he shouldn't play then come out and say he will not play until investigation is over. As I stated these are allegations like the Winston rape case, yet he got to play. Winston should've been on the sideline until the rape case had him found guilty or not guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackland View Post

More this drags out the more I agree, they let UNC get away with murder. Also guarantee if he transferred to one of those schools he would already be in uniform ready to start this year.

Last edited by rioninusc; 05-17-2018 at 02:13 PM..
Old 05-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #145
VBCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post

Concerns about the FBI finding more on him or finding criminal behavior is one concern you can probably put behind you.

The FBI specifically indicated that it has completed its investigation of Bowen's situation and that it was ok for the NCAA and (at the time Louisville) to begin their own process.

It's not illegal to get paid to play basketball or attend a particularly school as far as I know. So he was never in criminal jeopardy.

His eligibility is another issue entirely of course.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #146
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
With the May 30 deadline, can USC do anything between now and then to speed up the NCAA's ruling on Bowen?

"No, there really isn't," Tanner said. "They've got to do their work and we're on their timeline. So hopefully we'll have the information that will work."
His laywer’s tweet put more pressure on them and also put them on notice that they are not giving Bowen due process in the matter. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen if they don’t decide before May 30.
Three and Out is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #147
AndersonCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Even if he doesn’t come here it’s great he’s considering suing the POS at the NCAA. If the kid did nothing wrong let him play!
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #148
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackland View Post

Did you notice this quote by Frank Martin?

“The reason I’m very optimistic is everyone else that was under the whole dark cloud [FBI investigation] has been cleared to play moving forward,” Martin said in the radio appearance via The State’s Andrew Ramspacher. “They either got cleared to play this year. Or they’ve been cleared to play next year. Every one.” (my emphasis)
Old 05-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #149
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
Concerns about the FBI finding more on him or finding criminal behavior is one concern you can probably put behind you.

The FBI specifically indicated that it has completed its investigation of Bowen's situation and that it was ok for the NCAA and (at the time Louisville) to begin their own process.

It's not illegal to get paid to play basketball or attend a particularly school as far as I know. So he was never in criminal jeopardy.

His eligibility is another issue entirely of course.
I had not seen that in print anywhere. But the quote by Frank Martin above certainly puts this in a different light.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #150
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
His laywer’s tweet put more pressure on them and also put them on notice that they are not giving Bowen due process in the matter. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen if they don’t decide before May 30.
I agree that a lawsuit is likely if the NCAA does not make a decision by the deadline. Whether that motivates the NCAA, we'll have to see.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #151
warriorcock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
warriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPitwarriorcock rules the CockPit

For those interested, the 2018 Combine is on ESPN2 today from 3 to 7 pm.

Also, Bowen's lawyer is asking for retweets, up to 750 now.
warriorcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #152
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
I agree that a lawsuit is likely if the NCAA does not make a decision by the deadline. Whether that motivates the NCAA, we'll have to see.
He should be able to sue them as they could damage his whole future by standing pat.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #153
kingofnerf
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

It would be a mistake for the NCAA to clear him before the trial is finished.

It wouldn't be wise to clear him only to have something unexpected pop-up in the trial that would force them to backtrack on his eligibility.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #154
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post

It wouldn't be wise to clear him only to have something unexpected pop-up in the trial that would force them to backtrack on his eligibility.
What trial? Bowen hasn't been charged with breaking any law.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #155
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post

It's the same as any job, if they can't find anything to warrant him not to play, then put him on bail, let him play but keep an eye on him. If he ends up guilty then he's gone anyway and he won't play. I guess my logic doesn't make sense in today's world. It's all omg guilty until proven innocent. Law dictates Innocent until proven guilty, and in today's world that doesn't seem to be the case.

Once you go to jail even if you're innocent your reputation is tarnished, it's why I don't agree with our news putting out people with allegations. If a person was guilty then release the statement they are guilty. Keep it shut until then. I know people who have had their rep tarnished and were innocent, but it's too late. They lose their job sometimes, and have issues finding another. The employer needs to review the case, if they think the person could've done it, then let them go, if not keep em on a short leash.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #156
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

I'm confused. Didn't the FBI clear Bowen? There's no trial. It's literally just the NCAA dragging their feet because why not?
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #157
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

It's laughable that people think a) that the NCAA is being pressured by an attorney making these claims and b) that anything would come out of a frivolous lawsuit if his attorney does decide to sue afterwards.

Honestly, if the NCAA feels pressured, it's likely not a good thing as it would be much easier to rule him ineligible right now than to rule him eligible.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #158
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1061017
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

If our future with Bowen hinges on his lawyer's desperate tweet to the NCAA then I don't feel good about this one fellas.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #159
Ph/JDCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 4700
Ph/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
I'm confused. Didn't the FBI clear Bowen? There's no trial. It's literally just the NCAA dragging their feet because why not?
I can't speak for the poster but I assume he means a trial of someone else who may have been involved in the Bowen situation (a runner, assistant coach, etc.); i.e., facts could come to light in the taking of evidence in someone's criminal trial relevant to Bowen's eligibility even though Bowen himself isn't accused of any wrongdoing.

I'm not sure how likely that is, though. Parties who actually did what they're accused of more often than not will enter plea deals to avoid harsher penalties unless there are serious flaws in the prosecution's case. If someone is offered community service and restitution for a plea as opposed to prison time if tried and convicted, it's usually an easy choice to make. Of course, I don't practice criminal law so I may be way off-base.

And I concur with previous posters... not likely the NCAA is going to capitulate to Twitter threats of a lawsuit.

Last edited by Ph/JDCock; 05-17-2018 at 06:01 PM..
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #160
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 262
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/why-...me-investigate

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote