CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Wisercock
TaySC
gamecock88
Captain9Dragons
GeoCocky66
Flameout12
Master Bedroom
Blitzkrieg
Spur's Addiction
SanAntonioCock
**USC (1-1) vs. Norf (2272)
Hiring Recycled Coac (1865)
The GOOD news vs Cle (792)
Starters and reserve (717)
Time of possession. (567)
Scoring offense/defe (524)
RIP David Pearson ak (351)
McMurphy's credibili (331)
Gamecock weekly pres (293)
Relocating Chiefs-Ra (144)
**USC (1-0) vs. Stony Bro
RIP David Pearson aka The
The GOOD news vs Clemson.
**USC (1-1) vs. Norfolk S
Hiring Recycled Coaches
Relocating Chiefs-Rams ga
Collard Greens - Who Love
**USC Women vs. Alabama S
Scoring offense/defense:
Can We Upset Clemson?

Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #21
TheMule
Band

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule
Default Re: Fried Chicken - Does Anyone Cook It Anymore?

Like everybody else my Mom made the best fried chicken on the planet. She fried it in a cast iron pan in Crisco. The batter was evaporated milk then dipped in flour and whatever spices. I think that the secret to it was that she didn't try to cook it too fast.

The closed I've had to hers was at Pisgah Inn on Mt Pisgah. We went back last summer and I think that they must have gotten a new cook because it was too greasy and not nearly as good.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #22
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
Like everybody else my Mom made the best fried chicken on the planet. She fried it in a cast iron pan in Crisco. The batter was evaporated milk then dipped in flour and whatever spices. I think that the secret to it was that she didn't try to cook it too fast.

The closed I've had to hers was at Pisgah Inn on Mt Pisgah. We went back last summer and I think that they must have gotten a new cook because it was too greasy and not nearly as good.

I think that you are on to something here as my grandma would start her chicken off at a high temp for a short time in a black skillet - with only enough cooking lard/oil to cover about half of the chicken and then she would turn the temp down low and then cook the rest of it. Whatever this precious lady did with her cooking of chicken back in the day - would have made her a million dollars today.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #23
ut_vols13
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
ut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPitut_vols13 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
To much of a hassle for me. I don't have a deep fryer, so have used a deep cast iron skillet. Lots of oil and it takes too long to clean after. Not to mention it hurts to drop those things in.

I think the lost art is the oil/fat. I remember my grandmother have a tin of random grease that she used. It was a like Crisco but with the flavoring of delicious meats and bacon.

Where's the best fried chicken in SC?

I remember Jestine's in Charleston, the general chicken and pulley bones at Shealys.

I loved Zesto on Forest Dr. when I lived in Columbia.
ut_vols13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #24
pick6
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000500
pick6 is crowing loudlypick6 is crowing loudlypick6 is crowing loudlypick6 is crowing loudlypick6 is crowing loudlypick6 is crowing loudlypick6 is crowing loudlypick6 is crowing loudlypick6 is crowing loudlypick6 is crowing loudlypick6 is crowing loudly

Wife can't fry chicken/Girlfriend does a pretty good job!
pick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #25
ccured
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 25200
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Zestos has the best friend chicken in town imo. I believe they still soak in buttermilk. No bodies fried chicken is as good as it used to be because the government assault on transfats. Old school Crisco was cottonseed oil. Today's Crisco is a blend of soybean oil and palm oil. My wife hates me saving bacon grease because her mom didn't cook so she wasn't used to it. Bacon grease will last for 6 months in the refrigerator.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #26
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick6 View Post
Wife can't fry chicken/Girlfriend does a pretty good job!

Does that make you a "Thigh Man" or "A Breast Man"???

Old 07-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #27
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Zestos has the best friend chicken in town imo. I believe they still soak in buttermilk. No bodies fried chicken is as good as it used to be because the government assault on transfats. Old school Crisco was cottonseed oil. Today's Crisco is a blend of soybean oil and palm oil. My wife hates me saving bacon grease because her mom didn't cook so she wasn't used to it. Bacon grease will last for 6 months in the refrigerator.

That is a good point. Shealy's In Leesville, SC for the vast amount of chicken that they fry each day - does a pretty good job.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #28
Wybird
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Wybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudly

Bernieís is good
Old 07-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #29
BringBackGarcia
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post

Maybe I'm crazy, but Zesto's is alright but I feel it's more the quality of their chicken than anything else. Basically a step above Church's but not to a true restaurant quality.

I'm shocked and pissed about Crisco. I'm going to import so sh*t from Mexico now.

And does bacon grease really have an expiration? I don't think I've ever had any that lasted 6 months, but I also just pour new grease on old grease. The stuff at the bottom maybe over a year.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #30
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29698000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

I'll fry chicken once in a blue moon, but honestly it's easier and about the same price to just buy fried chicken from Publix. Publix fried chicken (at least what I've had) is underrated, it's very good. The key, like any fried chicken, is getting it fresh.

When I do fry, it's always outside. I use Peanut oil. I've soaked in buttermilk overnight, and I've lightly salted and seasoned overnight before cooking...both ways taste good.

As for crust, I've dipped in buttermilk with a few dashes of hot sauce, seasoned flour, again in buttermilk, and once more in seasoned flour...let drain, then fry. I've also dipped the same way in egg whites with a touch of water (not whole egg), a mix of seasoned flour, and cornstarch...gives a different crust.

Oil temp about 360. Alton Brown says to do it at 325, I haven't tried that yet. He knows his stuff, I'm just worried I'll get soggy chicken.

Pull the chicken when done, put on a drain rack (not paper towels) uncovered, let sit for 15-20 minutes. If you're worried about whether or not it's cooked to the bone, that resting time and carryover heat should finish it..if you're still worried put it on a rack in a 350 oven for 10-15 minutes.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #31
willyb's hotdogs#1
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5400
willyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot material

It’s not in town but maryland fried chicken doesn’t play! there in bfe goergia close to clarks hill at pollards corner off washington rd. best chicken i’ve ever had! looks like a dump but so did Fay’s in Jackson. they’re food was amazing as well but they closed a long time ago.

My other qb is a Bentley
willyb's hotdogs#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #32
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Just had the fried chicken from the Shell on the corner of South and East. I think Prices is better.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #33
highstick
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2700
highstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot material

Best I ever had was from Devin Taylor's Dad, Larry Taylor(aka LT). He was famous for ANY of his cooking in Beaufort, SC. I used to love Wednesday night at the Yacht Club on the Waterfront when he'd cook fried chicken or fried pork chops! LT just retired, but I learned a lot of cooking just watching him.
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #34
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyb's hotdogs#1 View Post
Itís not in town but maryland fried chicken doesnít play! there in bfe goergia close to clarks hill at pollards corner off washington rd. best chicken iíve ever had! looks like a dump but so did Fayís in Jackson. theyíre food was amazing as well but they closed a long time ago.

There's a Maryland fried chicken in Beaufort (or at least there was a few years ago).
Old 07-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #35
willyb's hotdogs#1
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5400
willyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot material

I remember when Hardees used to do fried chicken a long time ago! cant remember if it was any good or not, but that was when they had the SEC basketballs for sale too!

My other qb is a Bentley
willyb's hotdogs#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:51 AM   #36
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Itís not in town but maryland fried chicken doesnít play! there in bfe goergia close to clarks hill at pollards corner off washington rd. best chicken iíve ever had! looks like a dump but so did Fayís in Jackson. theyíre food was amazing as well but they closed a long time ago.

Fay's in Jackson, SC!!! It was a "dumpster of a restaurant", but they did have pretty good food. I was in a group at SRS that "won a area award" and our up-line supervision sent 4 of us to Fay's in Jackson for our grand prize!!! I could not believe the place when I first walked in the door, but the food was pretty good.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #37
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Palmetto Pig does a good job on fried chicken. The old Anchor Cafe in West Columbia was the best I ever had in a restaurant. The cooks name was "Blue".
Old 07-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #38
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29698000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I remember when Hardees used to do fried chicken a long time ago! cant remember if it was any good or not, but that was when they had the SEC basketballs for sale too!

There may have been exceptions, but as a whole Hardee's had very good fried chicken.

It was so good it was creating an image problem for them, they were a burger chain that started selling more chicken than burgers.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #39
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
There may have been exceptions, but as a whole Hardee's had very good fried chicken.

It was so good it was creating an image problem for them, they were a burger chain that started selling more chicken than burgers.

The chicken at Hardee's was pretty good. It was a heck of a lot better than their hamburgers ever were!!!

Old 07-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #40
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1300000
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

docs bbq has much better fried chicken than bbq. not even close.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote