CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Blitzkrieg
rt3891
gamecockphan
TastyLicks
Master Bedroom
FurmanCock
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
The Yancey
Sure, it's a long sh (845)
Domesticated Foxes? (355)
GH Recommends: Histo (144)
Uncharted 4 (140)
NCAAF: GEORGIA @ MIS (118)
Shinedown & Gods (54)
CFN: Daily Five: 2019 SEC
Sure, it's a long shot
Willy B upgrades to cost
Gamecock Tipoff - October
NFL: JETS @ BROWNS Thu 9/
Remembering Kenny
2019 schedule out
WBB recruiting summary:
WBB: 2019 Aubrey Griffin
2019 - PG Josiah James (M

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #181
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10000
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2019 - SF - Juwan Gary (MBB)

These Frank defenders are so funny.

They twist the story and act like we have been so robbed and should have made the tournament the last 4 years in a row...... get over it.

We made ONE tournament..... make it again soon and it begins to show a little consistency. Miss a few more years and that ONE year proves to be little more than a fluke, the stars aligning right, whatever you want to call it.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #182
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Admittedly, there are a lot of New Yorkers on this list from the McGuire Era, but there are also a lot of South Carolinians on this "Top 25" list for best Gamecock Men's Basketball Players.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...113519053.html

The problem with USC is that we get one star here and one star there, but can't seem to put a team of stars together at the same time.

Until we get out of the funk that people like this Tater Pastor are spewing, it will continue to be hard to consistently recruit this state. And yes, it is important to develop some inroads and keep the top local talent at home.

For those saying they don't care where a player is from, that's fine if we get the elite talent from that area, rather than getting what is left over after the local colleges have picked through it.

Develop inroads with local high school coaches, just as we do in football and baseball and then you can start competing for the local kids AND continue with the out of staters, but the coach gets to decide who he wants, rather than having kids that won't even consider playing for him and USC.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #183
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Admittedly, there are a lot of New Yerkers on this list from the McGuire Era, but there are also a lot of South Carolina s on this "Top 25" list for best Gamecock Men's Basketball Players.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...113519053.html

The problem with USC is that we get one star here and one star there, but can't seem to put a team of stars together at the same time.

Until we get out of the funk that people like this Tater Pastor are spewing, it will continue to be hard to consistently recruit this state. And yes, it is important to develop some inroads and keep the top local talent at home.

For those saying they don't care where a player is from, that's fine if we get the elite talent from that area, rather than getting what is left over after the local colleges have picked through it.

Develop inroads with local high school coachea, just as we do in football and baseball and then you can start competing for the local kids AND continue with the out of staters, but the coach gets to decide who he wants, rather than having kids that won't even consider playing for him and USC.
Of course there are a lot of kids from SC on USC's top 25, I'd be shocked if there wasn't. That doesn't change the fact that the 1 time in the history of our basketball program where we had sustained success it was built off of out of state recruiting. It's an inconvenient fact for anyone who says that we must have instate recruiting to be a successful basketball program. We'll always have a few players from SC on the roster but it doesn't matter where the best players come from.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #184
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Actually no, it does absolutely nothing to eliminate the claim that we have to keep elite local talent instate in 2018, if we want to be a solid program.

Nice try, but comparing the 60’s and 70’s to 2018 is laughable at best.

The other difference is that McGuire was getting elite out of state talent, not just the leftovers...... BIG difference.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #185
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
Actually no, it does absolutely nothing to eliminate the claim that we have to keep elite local talent instate in 2018, if we want to be a solid program.

Nice try, but comparing the 60ís and 70ís to 2018 is laughable at best.

The other difference is that McGuire was getting elite out of state talent, not just the leftovers...... BIG difference.
All I'm saying is that some people equate instate talent with our only chance to be successful. That's not the case. History says it isn't. If we make the NCAA Tournament this year it will be with 1 scholarship player from SC. I think we've got a chance to make it.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #186
AmonRa777
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
AmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
All I'm saying is that some people equate instate talent with our only chance to be successful. That's not the case. History says it isn't. If we make the NCAA Tournament this year it will be with 1 scholarship player from SC. I think we've got a chance to make it.
That's slight of hand!! The point is for sustainable success we must do better with the instate studs... Some years there won't be any ballers instate... Coach Staley is dealing with that now!!! The key is a successful program!! Anything can happen in a particular year
Old 07-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #187
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:

They twist the story and act like we have been so robbed and should have made the tournament the last 4 years in a row...... get over it.

We made ONE tournament..... make it again soon and it begins to show a little consistency. Miss a few more years and that ONE year proves to be little more than a fluke, the stars aligning right, whatever you want to call it.
We are not trying to be funny - and you Frank bashers are pretty humurous too. You go out of your way to belittle what Frank has done and ignore the obvious progress - because it does not fit your agenda.

Frank needed to rebuild the program from scratch By his 4th year, he had a team that had the credentials to get in the tournament, but we got shafted because we were not a traditional powerhouse, and the SEC was not getting much respect. That team was anchored by a Senior frontline class that Frank threw together in just a few weeks, all foreign.

You have to give him a pass for the first few years, and then we have had solid teams the last three years - including the ONLY successful NCAA tournament team in our entire existence. I was disappointed that the PG issues kept us out of the tournament this year and I expect Frank to have that fixed this year so we can get back in the tournament. If not, he needs to be held accountable.

But Frank recruits hard, including the in-state players, finds and develops players, is a super coach and individual, and has the program trending upward. And I believe that he will be able to recruit better in-state with continued success.

To hear the bashers talk, we are better off bringing Horn or Fig Newton back.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:33 PM   #188
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post

But Frank recruits hard, including the in-state players, finds and develops players, is a super coach and individual, and has the program trending upward. And I believe that he will be able to recruit better in-state with continued success.

To hear the bashers talk, we are better off bringing Horn or Fig Newton back.
We are involved with several outstanding prospects for the class of 2019, most of which are from somewhere other than SC. We already have a commitment from one in-state player (Trae Hannibal) and are recruiting a few other in-state guys. But, should the SC players refuse our offers, we have several other quality players on our list. Some of which may be better than the SC players we are recruiting. So, if one or more of the SC kids goes elsewhere, it will not mean that we won't have a good recruiting class for 2019.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:14 AM   #189
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
That's slight of hand!! The point is for sustainable success we must do better with the instate studs... Some years there won't be any ballers instate... Coach Staley is dealing with that now!!! The key is a successful program!! Anything can happen in a particular year
And I answered you earlier in the thread our only time with sustained success in program history was due to out of state recruiting under McGuire. As opposed to mining the northeast like McGuire our current Frank looks to be mining international players. We'll see how it works out. One thing is for sure though in most cases the international players won't be rated as highly coming into college because they'll have far less exposure.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:51 AM   #190
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

I don’t think we have ever consistently gotten talented players from SC HS.

Something has surfaced recently is that there is a pastor at a church in Columbia that has been pushing SC HS players out of the state. I certainly can’t prove that but enough people have said the same thing that which makes me believe there must be some truth to this.

I do understand how kids would follow a coach like Avery Johnson. He’s both played and coached in the NBA with very good success.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #191
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 311755
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
I donít think we have ever consistently gotten talented players from SC HS.

Something has surfaced recently is that there is a pastor at a church in Columbia that has been pushing SC HS players out of the state. I certainly canít prove that but enough people have said the same thing that which makes me believe there must be some truth to this.

I do understand how kids would follow a coach like Avery Johnson. Heís both played and coached in the NBA with very good success.
And the Pastor is a Clemson Fan with a Church full of Gamecocks. Hope that doesn't work out well for him.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #192
markymark550
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 14000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I'm just ready for this one to be over. It'll be disappointing if he chooses another school, but not completely shocking either.

I get why kids want to go out of state, but I do find it sad that very few have enough pride in their home to try and make a difference. Even worse are the coaches and community leaders that are so opposed to an in-state program and have a lot of sway with the kids. The only way I see in-state recruiting improvement is by continued success and hopefully putting more kids in the NBA. It would be good for the program to see Sin take an increased role, PJ to stick with the Thunder, and Chris getting drafted next year.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #193
Sides
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Sides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervousSides is making other chickens nervous

Quote:

Everyone should be a Frank defender. SC basketball is one year removed from a final four. We had not won a tournament game in my lifetime. The last three years he has fielded very competitive teams that he built from a dead program. SC basketball has been a joke for the past 40 years. He is already the second best coach in SC history in my opinion. You could argue Fogler is number 2 but I would rather a final four run than an SEC regular season championship and 2 embarrassing tournament losses.

So what if a 4-star recruit decides to go out of state to play? It doesn't even sound like we recruited him hard.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #194
lfowens
4-Star

CockyCash: 3000
lfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPit

Maybe we could get this thread back on Juan Gary. It appears the he may announce this week or next...Correct?
Old 07-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #195
markymark550
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 14000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfowens View Post
Maybe we could get this thread back on Juan Gary. It appears the he may announce this week or next...Correct?
Newspaper article stated he is going to announce this week, but who knows.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #196
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

We already got a commitment from Trae Hannibal, who is an in-state kid for the 2019 class. Is that not something to be happy about? Does Frank have to sign ALL of the local talent in order to prove he is doing a good job? We already have Cuisnard, Bryant, Lawson and Minaya who all can play on the wing, which is where Gary is projected to play. If Gary chooses to go elsewhere, maybe its because he thinks we are already loaded at his position? Could that be a factor?
Old 07-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #197
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 999975894
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
We already got a commitment from Trae Hannibal, who is an in-state kid for the 2019 class. Is that not something to be happy about? Does Frank have to sign ALL of the local talent in order to prove he is doing a good job? We already have Cuisnard, Bryant, Lawson and Minaya who all can play on the wing, which is where Gary is projected to play. If Gary chooses to go elsewhere, maybe its because he thinks we are already loaded at his position? Could that be a factor?

Signing just any local talent vs signing the top local talent are two different things
Old 07-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #198
thumpin big
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
Signing just any local talent vs signing the top local talent are two different things
You think Hannibal is "just any local talent"??
Old 07-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #199
xXSirSpurXx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5600
xXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
Newspaper article stated he is going to announce this week, but who knows.
Apparently Bama Bound
Old 07-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #200
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Announcing Saturday or Sunday and according to a tweet by TheBigSpur.com, he is 98% headed to Bama.
Closed Thread