CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
TaySC
GregoryHouse
ConwayGamecock
Spur's Addiction
CockNJersey
willyb's hotdogs#1
SanAntonioCock
carolina_corpsman
GeoCocky66
Champ vs Spurrier (1200)
Don't Underestimate (928)
2019 - Dequan Watts (720)
Bol Bol (344)
Tammy Passed Away (316)
**USC (5-4) vs. Chat (198)
2018 - Black Friday (185)
**USC (2-1) vs. Prov (182)
Week 12: Around Coll (166)
NCAAF: CHATTANOOGA A (38)
2019 WBB - Haley Jones -
Thank You
**USC (5-4) vs. Chattanoo
***Volleyball 2018 Season
NCAAF: CHATTANOOGA AT SOU
NFL: PANTHERS @ LIONS Sun
Hiring Recycled Coaches
NFL: EAGLES @ SAINTS Sun
NFL: TEXANS @ REDSKINS Su
NFL: BRONCOS @ LA CHARGER

Old 07-13-2018, 02:05 AM   #1
2k15
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162000
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material
Default Question About Record Player

Hey all,

So I'm definitely not as old as most people here (18), but I do have a recent interest in vintage audio, so I went out and bought myself a turntable, a few records, and a pre amp. I'm loving it so far, but I've got one problem.

Basically my turntable goes into my pre amp, which then goes into my active speakers (they have built in amps). But even with this setup, and my speakers turned up all the way on the back gain knobs, I don't get a whole lot of sound.

There's really no easy way to control the volume, and it's loudest setting on the speakers is still pretty quiet.

I was wondering if any of you older cats had any info, suggestions, or advice on how to make the output any louder. I'm trying to avoid buying a huge freaking amp to go after the pre amp, but that's currently all I can think of to fix it.
2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
rabidcock
Walk On

CockyCash: 200
rabidcock has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Question About Record Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
Hey all,

So I'm definitely not as old as most people here (18), but I do have a recent interest in vintage audio, so I went out and bought myself a turntable, a few records, and a pre amp. I'm loving it so far, but I've got one problem.

Basically my turntable goes into my pre amp, which then goes into my active speakers (they have built in amps). But even with this setup, and my speakers turned up all the way on the back gain knobs, I don't get a whole lot of sound.

There's really no easy way to control the volume, and it's loudest setting on the speakers is still pretty quiet.

I was wondering if any of you older cats had any info, suggestions, or advice on how to make the output any louder. I'm trying to avoid buying a huge freaking amp to go after the pre amp, but that's currently all I can think of to fix it.
You are going to need amplification. It sounds as though your speaker amps are insufficient. I started out with an amp-pre amp combo, the Marantz 2385. Now I just use it as an amp (bypassed the pre amp stage) and bought a McIntosh pre amp. A pre amp balances the signal just enough to get to the next stage, the amplifier, which is where you get your power; they drive the speakers directly.

You are missing a stage (amp), therefore itty-bitty sound. Instead of purchasing a huge amp, your dealer may understand your quandry and trade you for an amp with a built-in pre amp.

There may be some electronic wizards here with a better solution.

Last edited by rabidcock; 07-13-2018 at 11:20 AM..
rabidcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
GamecockInHell
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1802785
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Somewhere in my storage building I have an old Marantz 50 watt receiver that has the turntable jacks. It played great for many years but I retired it when CDs came out.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
rabidcock
Walk On

CockyCash: 200
rabidcock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
Somewhere in my storage building I have an old Marantz 50 watt receiver that has the turntable jacks. It played great for many years but I retired it when CDs came out.
Why would you not need amplification for CD's? Also, I hope that you have your Marantz in a climate controlled storage, because humidity is a killer on electronic components over time. By the way, "turntable jacks" double as CD jacks or any other driving source you may wish to consider.
rabidcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
uscgrad68
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 648
uscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudlyuscgrad68 is crowing loudly

Hi.

Welcome to the club for LPs. I bought my first component set back in the late 60s, with a Dual 1019 turntable, Amplifier (or receiver), and speakers and upgraded when I was stationed in Japan, and since. I own thousands of LPs and love the warm sound difference, especially when compared to MP3. With the slight resurgence in the popularity of LPs it is nice to be able to upgrade older LPs, so I have purchased new 180g versions of my Beatles albums.

Yes, you need an amplifier or receiver (with AM/FM, but who listens to much of that anymore?). Amplifiers take up less space than receivers, but you can turn them sideways or tuck them behind furniture, so that they can fit your area.

I suggest you buy a "good" used amplifier or receiver (actually easier to find) on Ebay that has Phono inputs and then you do not need the preamp. Most newer amplifiers/receivers do not have the phono inputs, which then does require a preamp. Preamps need not be expensive ($20 or so) with an amplifier. I bought a preamp to go with my amplifier in order to have two turntables side-by-side, since the amplifier only had one set of phono inputs.

If you need help in judging a good amplifier on Ebay, or have any other questions, send me a PM. I also have some tips on the care of the LPs. Careful washing takes care of most of the pops and surface noise on G/VG/Exc old LPs.

Good luck, and enjoy!
uscgrad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #6
ultimatetailgater
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5200
ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

Not sure why all the posts suggesting an amp. He already has one in each speaker if they are active/powered speakers. I use a similar setup for our football tailgates. Older ipod with dock connector to rca adapter(this is an un-amplified line out) to preamp/mixer then into each speaker(Peavy PVXp).

Not sure what the problem could be if you have the gain turned up on the preamp and speakers. What kind of preamp do you have?

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
GamecockInHell
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1802785
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidcock View Post
Why would you not need amplification for CD's? Also, I hope that you have your Marantz in a climate controlled storage, because humidity is a killer on electronic components over time. By the way, "turntable jacks" double as CD jacks or any other driving source you may wish to consider.
It's been several years since I looked at it but it seems like I could either play the turntable or the CD player and chose the CD. I've since sold most of my 200 plus LPs to Second Hand Charles and only kept a few select collectibles. I did, however make sure I had a digital copy of each one first.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
carolina_corpsman
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

If you want it to sound like its supposed to sound, bite the bullet and get a nice tube amp and some passive speakers.

Welcome to a very expensive hobby.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
carolina_corpsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #9
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

We used a receiver as our amps. They can be had for under $100, but seems your bluetooth speakers should have some pump.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
2k15
Banned

Male

2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

Forgot to respond to this thread, but I definitely did read all of your input and figured it out!

It turns out that when I attached the stylus cartridge to the weighted arm on the turntable, I didn't connect it quite properly. It's apparently quite finicky to attach and bs to be positioned just right. So what happened was that the stylus transmitter wasn't close enough to transfer information to the arm receiver. Don't quite know how it works to be honest, but that's definitely why it was so quiet.

Thanks for all your input! I'm loving it even in a college dorm.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #11
carolina_corpsman
Heisman Candidate

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Forgot to respond to this thread, but I definitely did read all of your input and figured it out!

It turns out that when I attached the stylus cartridge to the weighted arm on the turntable, I didn't connect it quite properly. It's apparently quite finicky to attach and bs to be positioned just right. So what happened was that the stylus transmitter wasn't close enough to transfer information to the arm receiver. Don't quite know how it works to be honest, but that's definitely why it was so quiet.

Thanks for all your input! I'm loving it even in a college dorm.
Glad you got it sorted out, welcome to a very expensive hobby that has no end lol.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #12
2k15
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Glad you got it sorted out, welcome to a very expensive hobby that has no end lol.
Genuinely don't mean to brag, but my highest price record I've gotten so far is $180. Since then I've taken a break from buying any more, but jesus are you right.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #13
Cockfucius
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Genuinely don't mean to brag, but my highest price record I've gotten so far is $180. Since then I've taken a break from buying any more, but jesus are you right.
Jesus is always right
Old 11-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #14
carolina_corpsman
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Wait till you start upgrading components and start looking at quality passive speakers, you can add a 0 to that price tag.