CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
IslandCock
acejrock
Order 66
CockyCody
Champ vs Spurrier (639)
Don't Underestimate (550)
NBA Player Hassan Wh (225)
2019 - Dequan Watts (222)
Bol Bol (118)
2018 - Black Friday (86)
Chattanooga - 4 tick (27)
Bol Bol
Spam - Treet - & Pork
Champ vs Spurrier
Chattanooga - 4 tickets -
2019 - Jakai Moore
2019 WBB - Rickea Jackson
**USC Women (1-0) vs. Cle
2019 WBB - Haley Jones -
2019 - Dequan Watts - UCF
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 11:38 PM   #81
wincocks84
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Jake Bentley = Phil Petty 2.0?

/\That should do it then.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:49 PM   #82
HTCOCK
Recruit

CockyCash: 1000000500
HTCOCK rules the CockPitHTCOCK rules the CockPitHTCOCK rules the CockPitHTCOCK rules the CockPitHTCOCK rules the CockPitHTCOCK rules the CockPitHTCOCK rules the CockPitHTCOCK rules the CockPitHTCOCK rules the CockPitHTCOCK rules the CockPitHTCOCK rules the CockPit
Default Re: Jake Bentley = Chris Smelley 2.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Blake threw a more cacheable ball. Those fades to Sidney and slants to Kenny are legendary. Not sure if Blake ever had the protection that we saw on Sat v. UGA. People tend to forget how much we struggled with protection when Blake and Chris Smelley were playing.
True on both counts.Those guys took a beating!
Old 09-14-2018, 01:39 AM   #83
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1300000
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

phil petty was clutch. not sure i see the comparison.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #84
BringBackGarcia
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Comparing players is silly, but FWIW:

Phil Petty took a team that didn't know how to win, coming off a no win season with an old coach who may have been past his prime, and brought us out of the basement. We tore the goal posts down beating New Mexico St. Let that sink in to how low this program was. And the next week Phil (and the defense and Watson) got us a win over UGA. Then the next year went down to Athens and beat them again. That 2001 team was 10 points away from only losing one game that entire season. And beat Alabama (all be it not Bama of today).

So far, Jake has done what's been asked. We win games mostly that we're supposed to and are competitive in the other ones. He's not the QB to take us to the next level, but the one to hold stead while Muschamp fills the talent. His signature wins so far have been against a hapless UT team and in bowl games where there is literally nothing on the line except a trophy that no one ever sees.

I've put this is several threads, but here's what I think:

1. Our QB history is so bleak that we see someone average and think that they're the second coming.

2. Jake is living off a few games and being able to complete short throws.

3. No offense that is predicated on the QB completing 75% or more of their passes will be successful.

4. Phil Petty was a baller on a team that a year prior had been a bigger joke than Elliott/Spurrier's last year.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #85
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 14155
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic52001 View Post
This is why some are coaches and some are fans.

ou are not being objective. You are emotional.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
I'd say the same thing about you. People hated Garcia because of his off the field antics, but there's no denying he was a gamer and came through in some big moments (when sober)...
Old 09-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #86
manic52001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
manic52001 is sharpening his clawsmanic52001 is sharpening his clawsmanic52001 is sharpening his clawsmanic52001 is sharpening his clawsmanic52001 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGamec0ckFan View Post
I'd say the same thing about you. People hated Garcia because of his off the field antics, but there's no denying he was a gamer and came through in some big moments (when sober)...
He had just as many brilliant games as WTF games.... this isnt even a debatable topic.

Again you are allowing the emotions from a blow out effect your judgment.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #87
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 311755
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic52001 View Post
This is why some are coaches and some are fans.

You are not being objective. You are emotional.

By saying he would rather have Garcia than Bentley? That would be called being smart not objective. What Coach wouldn't do that. Garcia didn't play scared and was a much better QB than Bentley without objectivity being considered.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #88
manic52001
Blue Chip

Male

manic52001 is sharpening his clawsmanic52001 is sharpening his clawsmanic52001 is sharpening his clawsmanic52001 is sharpening his clawsmanic52001 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
By saying he would rather have Garcia than Bentley? That would be called being smart not objective. What Coach wouldn't do that. Garcia didn't play scared and was a much better QB than Bentley without objectivity being considered.
Ohh how we forget about the. FSU, 2 x Aub, KY, and Ark game of 2010. Or the auburn game of 2011.

So many emotions running wild.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #89
Lankey62
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3218
Lankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spurs

We have to remember where we have come from as far as QB play is concerned. We went from one of our greatest QBs in Shaw and then slow digressed from Thompson to Mitch to eventually the walk-on Orth.

Bentley represents a step in the right direction of QB play. He was a breath of fresh-air in 2016. Now we are ready to take the next step. Hopefully Joyner/Hilinski can be the guy that takes us there.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #90
Lancelot
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankey62 View Post
We have to remember where we have come from as far as QB play is concerned. We went from one of our greatest QBs in Shaw and then slow digressed from Thompson to Mitch to eventually the walk-on Orth.

Bentley represents a step in the right direction of QB play. He was a breath of fresh-air in 2016. Now we are ready to take the next step. Hopefully Joyner/Hilinski can be the guy that takes us there.
I don't think there's any doubt that we are far ahead of where we were at QB when the 2016 season started. Jake is good, and it wasn't my intent to demean him. So far, I just haven't seen him show that he has the "it" factor. You can be a good QB with "it" but I just haven't really seen him elevate the team yet. He seems to just have the makeup of an 8 or 9 win QB. Which, around here is pretty darn good by historical standards.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #91
manic52001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
I don't think there's any doubt that we are far ahead of where we were at QB when the 2016 season started. Jake is good, and it wasn't my intent to demean him. So far, I just haven't seen him show that he has the "it" factor. You can be a good QB with "it" but I just haven't really seen him elevate the team yet. He seems to just have the makeup of an 8 or 9 win QB. Which, around here is pretty darn good by historical standards.
Nothing in this i dissagree with.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #92
spurfan93
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5200
spurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Fair points made. Here’s what I’ve been thinking about. We all consider Connor Shaw to be arguably the best QB to play here. When did we consider him to be an elite QB? To me it wasn’t until the 2013 season, his senior year. Up until then, weren’t we saying the same thing about Shaw (who started most of ‘11 and ‘12)as we are about Bentley? Slightly better than average QB that can’t throw the deep ball and tends to not go through his progressions? There were a lot of gamecock fans that wanted Thompson starting that Thursday night opener against UNC. Now I will say Shaw was better at taking care of the football (I think that goes without saying) due to his running ability and more calm in the pocket. I guess what I’m trying to say is perhaps we put too high expectations on him to be an elite quarterback when the guy we want him to be as good as wasn’t one until his senior year.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #93
manic52001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurfan93 View Post
Fair points made. Hereís what Iíve been thinking about. We all consider Connor Shaw to be arguably the best QB to play here. When did we consider him to be an elite QB? To me it wasnít until the 2013 season, his senior year. Up until then, werenít we saying the same thing about Shaw (who started most of Ď11 and Ď12)as we are about Bentley? Slightly better than average QB that canít throw the deep ball and tends to not go through his progressions? There were a lot of gamecock fans that wanted Thompson starting that Thursday night opener against UNC. Now I will say Shaw was better at taking care of the football (I think that goes without saying) due to his running ability and more calm in the pocket. I guess what Iím trying to say is perhaps we put too high expectations on him to be an elite quarterback when the guy we want him to be as good as wasnít one until his senior year.
I clearly remember a large number of "shaw is just not that great" or "lets start Dylan" or "i wish we had Garcia back".... types of threads.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #94
roosterdude21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3212019568
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

I loved it when Shaw would go through his progressions letting the WR's take the secondary way down field only to then take off for a gain of like 12-15 yards. This usually was on 3rd down and always so clutch. He was tough as nails to boot.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #95
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

I think if we had a running game that could consistently produce 150+ yards per game it would make Bentley a much better QB. Right now, against big time competition, we are one-dimensional.

I'm looking forward to the Vandy and Texas A&M games. It is possible the UGA was an aberration and the offense will be better. (the defense too)
Old 09-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #96
manic52001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
I think if we had a running game that could consistently produce 150+ yards per game it would make Bentley a much better QB. Right now, against big time competition, we are one-dimensional.

I'm looking forward to the Vandy and Texas A&M games. It is possible the UGA was an aberration and the offense will be better. (the defense too)
YES!!!!!!

Old 09-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #97
manic52001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdude21 View Post
I loved it when Shaw would go through his progressions letting the WR's take the secondary way down field only to then take off for a gain of like 12-15 yards. This usually was on 3rd down and always so clutch. He was tough as nails to boot.
He was pretty special.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #98
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurfan93 View Post
Slightly better than average QB that can’t throw the deep ball and tends to not go through his progressions? There were a lot of gamecock fans that wanted Thompson starting that Thursday night opener against UNC.
This game?

Old 09-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #99
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 8000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Shaw was always clutch. Even when we was a RS froshie or whatever and he came off the bench down at Auburn he was cool as ice and was throwing to Alshon in the end zone at the end of the game.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #100
kidrobinski
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1320
kidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
This game?

Lol. Now show the other 50 long balls that he would consistently underthrow.

You guys have a much romanticized remembrance of Shaw.
Closed Thread