CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
TastyLicks
Senior Rooster
Captain9Dragons
Blitzkrieg
Master Bedroom
ShutTheSuccop
PFW79
Spur's Addiction
SanAntonioCock
Willy B upgrades to (2388)
Missing Ellis Johnso (1157)
Bama vs _____ (453)
Donta Scott (343)
USA women's world cu (243)
NCAAF: TEXAS AM @ AL (129)
NCAAF: LOUISIANA TEC (88)
NCAAF: ARKANSAS @ AU (71)
NCAAF: FLORIDA @ TEN (68)
Uncharted 4 (61)
Influential Pastor steeri
Willy B upgrades to cost
2019 - PG Josiah James (M
NFL: JETS @ BROWNS Thu 9/
Gamecock weekly press ava
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ V
NCAAF: GEORGIA @ MISSOURI
Black Ops 4
CFN: South Carolina vs. V
***Fall Baseball Scrimmag

Old 09-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #161
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: It seems many of you overestimated the Gamecocks after one game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
And if anyone here thinks it's going to get better for us, short term, when UGA is pulling in Top 5 classes, and Clemson pulling in top 10 classes when we're recruiting in the mid to high teens, you're fooling yourself. Unless there is a monumental shift in the local recruiting landscape, that is not going to change in the near future. We are going to be playing catch up to those two programs.

Again, this is just a dose of reality for everyone this afternoon.
I will just never agree with you on this. It's lazy to think we can't be successful while other programs are successful locally. We are already beating UGA and Clemson for kids that they want. Not in large numbers, but it's happening. Just because UGA and Clemson are winning doesn't mean we can't win.

Somehow, Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, and Georgia are all in the Top 7. Geographically, they all compete with each other for recruits. It's just lazy to think we can't. Auburn wasn't anything special until Cam Newton. Bama wasn't anything special until Saban. Georgia wasn't anything special until Kirby, and Clemson wasn't anything special until Watson. I'll give you the fact that 3 of these teams are traditional powers, but the point is, anybody can compete. Clemson had no advantage over us 5 years ago. None. Today, they're the #2 team in the country. It's not a fluke.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #162
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
I will just never agree with you on this. It's lazy to think we can't be successful while other programs are successful locally. We are already beating UGA and Clemson for kids that they want. Not in large numbers, but it's happening. Just because UGA and Clemson are winning doesn't mean we can't win.
Last year, we had the 18th best class on 24/7 and rivals. UGA was #1,#1, Clemson was #7/#8.

Right now, we have the 16th best class right now on 24/7 and rivals. UGA is #1,#1, Clemson is #5/#8.

Simply looking at the numbers, if we try to go head up with those two teams, how are we going to surpass them? Simple answer is, we won't. They will continue to put better talent on the field for the foreseeable future (3-4 years) If we try to play their game, we're going to have similar results to last Saturday.

So the solution is to play a different game then they are. I never said we couldn't compete with, or beat them. I said it was going to be a longer process for us. And we're going to have to play differently. We're going to have to play smarter. Our coaches and players are going to have to work harder. We are going to have to play mistake free football vs them. I trust our coaches to do this.

And one more thing, if anything will be the downfall of these teams, it will be their arrogance. Regardless of what Alabama fans say, Saban won't be there forever. I personally think he wants to surpass the Bear's record then he's going to seriously think about calling it quits. When he does, there will be a seismic shift in the college football landscape. Will Kirby or Dabo be considered for the Alabama job? How will that effect recruiting? Those are the type of opportunities that a team like ours has to take advantage of.

Ten years ago this season Clemson hired Dabo. And give Clemson credit, they stuck with him. We all need to give Coach Muschamp time to let the process work. I honestly think he's the perfect coach for this team. I think he understands the landscape here, and nobody works harder than he does. As bad as last week stung, we have to realize the level of competition we were up against.

This is not a sunshine pumping post. This is a dose of reality.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #163
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Last year, we had the 18th best class on 24/7 and rivals. UGA was #1,#1, Clemson was #7/#8.

Right now, we have the 16th best class right now on 24/7 and rivals. UGA is #1,#1, Clemson is #5/#8.

Simply looking at the numbers, if we try to go head up with those two teams, how are we going to surpass them? Simple answer is, we won't. They will continue to put better talent on the field for the foreseeable future (3-4 years) If we try to play their game, we're going to have similar results to last Saturday.
I hear you, but we're two years removed from being a 3-9 team. Clemson is 2 years removed from back-to-back national title appearances (winning one). They're supposed to have those recruiting classes. If we give Muschamp the time and resources he needs here, I think we can consistently grab a top-10 recruiting class. To be at 16 right now after 4 years of not even being ranked in an AP poll is pretty damn impressive. We can do much better, and I'm confident we will.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #164
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 8994501
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
Clemson had no advantage over us 5 years ago. None. Today, they're the #2 team in the country. It's not a fluke.
I disagree they should not be ranked ahead of UGA at present not based off of the past 2 seasons if that is the basis for early season polls
Old 09-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #165
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
I hear you, but we're two years removed from being a 3-9 team. Clemson is 2 years removed from back-to-back national title appearances (winning one). They're supposed to have those recruiting classes. If we give Muschamp the time and resources he needs here, I think we can consistently grab a top-10 recruiting class. To be at 16 right now after 4 years of not even being ranked in an AP poll is pretty damn impressive. We can do much better, and I'm confident we will.
I concur.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #166
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
I disagree they should not be ranked ahead of UGA at present not based off of the past 2 seasons if that is the basis for early season polls
I mean, I agree, but being 2nd or 3rd makes no difference as far as the playoff is concerned.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #167
Senior Rooster
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 78000000
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:

Somehow, Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, and Georgia are all in the Top 7. Geographically, they all compete with each other for recruits. It's just lazy to think we can't. Auburn wasn't anything special until Cam Newton. Bama wasn't anything special until Saban. Georgia wasn't anything special until Kirby, and Clemson wasn't anything special until Watson. I'll give you the fact that 3 of these teams are traditional powers, but the point is, anybody can compete. Clemson had no advantage over us 5 years ago. None. Today, they're the #2 team in the country. It's not a fluke.

ON TARGET!!! Fire For Effect!!!
Old 09-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #168
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 18345
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
There are definite areas for concern, but we won't face another team that can manhandle us like UGA did until we face Clemson. At least we hope.
Texas A&M looks like a strong possibility
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #169
beak2
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5500
beak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPit

IMO, there are no guaranteed wins and people saying this is a definite win make me cringe.
beak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #170
Lancelot
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGamec0ckFan View Post
Texas A&M looks like a strong possibility
Hard to say about A&M. They certainly looked very good against Clemson, who is a legit title contender, but I think they were definitely up for that game. Interested to see how they play against a normal opponent.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #171
Lancelot
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot material

Quote:

Clemson did have an advantage over us 5 years ago. We just didn't know it. While Spurrier and Co. were coasting on previous recruiting classes, Dabo and Co. were absolutely tearing it up on the trail. You are right in that its not a fluke. Dabo just's one of the best recruiters in the country and he and his staff worked very hard it. Champ is also an excellent recruiter, he's just got a VERY steep hill to climb here to close the talent gap. For the very reasons you mentioned.

Champ is going to have to find that one recruit. The recruit who turns the tide for us. Spurrier often said Lattimore was that recruit for him.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #172
longhaul
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2000
longhaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by beak2 View Post
IMO, there are no guaranteed wins and people saying this is a definite win make me cringe.

These are the same people that will want to fire Champ if we do not win. Some people get way too high and way too low.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #173
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1472263
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:

So the solution is to play a different game then they are. I never said we couldn't compete with, or beat them. I said it was going to be a longer process for us. And we're going to have to play differently. We're going to have to play smarter. Our coaches and players are going to have to work harder. We are going to have to play mistake free football vs them. I trust our coaches to do this.

And one more thing, if anything will be the downfall of these teams, it will be their arrogance. Regardless of what Alabama fans say, Saban won't be there forever. I personally think he wants to surpass the Bear's record then he's going to seriously think about calling it quits. When he does, there will be a seismic shift in the college football landscape. Will Kirby or Dabo be considered for the Alabama job? How will that effect recruiting? Those are the type of opportunities that a team like ours has to take advantage of.

Ten years ago this season Clemson hired Dabo. And give Clemson credit, they stuck with him. We all need to give Coach Muschamp time to let the process work. I honestly think he's the perfect coach for this team. I think he understands the landscape here, and nobody works harder than he does. As bad as last week stung, we have to realize the level of competition we were up against.

This is not a sunshine pumping post. This is a dose of reality.
Why do people continue to think that Saban is in any hurry to retire? He'll coach til he's dead or his health no longer allows him. Do you think he would rather be anywhere other than coaching football?

He's similar to JoPa and the Bear. Football IS his life. There is nothing else.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #174
TAFC 5 1981
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Why do people continue to think that Saban is in any hurry to retire? He'll coach til he's dead or his health no longer allows him. Do you think he would rather be anywhere other than coaching football?

He's similar to JoPa and the Bear. Football IS his life. There is nothing else.
I agree with that.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #175
Rooster'srule
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 993410
Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

I will continue to "overestimate" forever to thee
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #176
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

The chicken got plucked on Saturday. I didn't think they'd win, but I was hoping it would be a closer game.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #177
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
His program is so far behind. We didnít hire Muschamp for this BS. Heís supposed to be a good recruiter but clearly is not getting it done.
You do realize we only won 3 games the season before he got here, and that his recruiting classes have rivaled the ones Spurrier had during the peak of his tenure, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:59 PM   #178
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 5010459
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

This is why I say we overestimated the gamecocks after one game.

You all got so gassed up that now you are jumping out the window and off the bandwagon at the very first loss.

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #179
gocockswyn
Bowl MVP

Female

gocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot material

I sure thought we would play a closer game with Georgia.
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #180
Master Bedroom
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
This is why I say we overestimated the gamecocks after one game.

You all got so gassed up that now you are jumping out the window and off the bandwagon at the very first loss.
You must be new here
Master Bedroom is online now   Reply With Quote