CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
carolina_corpsman
CockyLifer
Spur's Addiction
TastyLicks
Captain9Dragons
SanAntonioCock
kick_ball
CockNJersey
ShutTheSuccop
Coaches Poll: Gameco (2383)
Bowl game (1584)
Jason Senn. Sr. Walk (728)
Gamecock True confes (581)
Out of the top 10 (323)
Dom headed to Marine (279)
Thanksgiving Dinner (173)
Muschamp wants fans (166)
Shi Smith's TD vs Ch (121)
Coincidences That Le (58)
Predictions: South Caroli
2019 - Chris Steele
ESPN Hater's Guide to Riv
Thanksgiving Dinner - Wha
Can We Upset Clemson?
Shi Smith's TD vs Chattan
Hiring Recycled Coaches
Muschamp wants fans to be
Week 12: Around College F
Gamecock True confessions

Old 11-08-2018, 11:17 AM   #141
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Can We Upset Clemson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZyn View Post
When i was at USC i dated a model who later was in Victoia Secret catalog. Never thought that would happen. She later left me for Chris Kristofferson. It was fun while it lasted. My point is anything can happen.
It's Kris ... and yes, she was hot back then ...
Old 11-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #142
M.C.
Gamecock4Life

Male

CockyCash: 9109643
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Heck no

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #143
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
You do realize Clemson is 6th in the country in rushing defense right?

Also I donít think you are going to like playing Lawrence over Bryant. Just my opinion
Clemson has played two teams ranked high in the rushing stats, but they were both triple option teams, Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern. Clemson has the speed and athleticism up front to defend the triple option. Which is fine because we do not run that.

Outside of those two, Clemson has not played much in the way of good rushing teams, or good offenses period. TAMU is probably the best in both categories and they got 500 yards of Offense.

A balanced attack and strong Offensive line can cause problems, and we have that. And Clemson is not nearly as strong in the back seven. If Bentley is on target early, and gets enough time for his WRs to get open, it will open up the run game.

To me, Lawrence is similar to Jacob Eason, former UGA QB. Same size, recruiting ranking, hype. In his last game against South Carolina, he single-handedly kept us in the game. We struggle against Dual Threat QBs, but handle Pro-Style guys pretty well.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #144
CockNJersey
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Clemson has played two teams ranked high in the rushing stats, but they were both triple option teams, Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern. Clemson has the speed and athleticism up front to defend the triple option. Which is fine because we do not run that.

Outside of those two, Clemson has not played much in the way of good rushing teams, or good offenses period. TAMU is probably the best in both categories and they got 500 yards of Offense.

A balanced attack and strong Offensive line can cause problems, and we have that. And Clemson is not nearly as strong in the back seven. If Bentley is on target early, and gets enough time for his WRs to get open, it will open up the run game.

To me, Lawrence is similar to Jacob Eason, former UGA QB. Same size, recruiting ranking, hype. In his last game against South Carolina, he single-handedly kept us in the game. We struggle against Dual Threat QBs, but handle Pro-Style guys pretty well.
Clemson has among the best, if not the best, DLs in the nation. Without a doubt. Expecting anything less than us getting manhandled is just setting up for disappointment. They are more talented and deeper than across the board. We don’t have a single matchup advantage in this game.

Lawrence is far superior to Jacob Eason. No comparison really. He can make throws that Eason only dreams of.

Jake has performed absolutely horribly in 2 outings against Clemson. I don’t look for that to change. They’re just in his head.
CockNJersey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #145
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
Clemson has among the best, if not the best, DLs in the nation. Without a doubt. Expecting anything less than us getting manhandled is just setting up for disappointment. They are more talented and deeper than across the board. We donít have a single matchup advantage in this game.

Lawrence is far superior to Jacob Eason. No comparison really. He can make throws that Eason only dreams of.

Jake has performed absolutely horribly in 2 outings against Clemson. I donít look for that to change. Theyíre just in his head.
Players can and do improve. Jake was as lost as a ball in high weeds against Michigan last year, only to find his way late and pull out a W. Michigan has a similar D to Clemson, although not as good on Offense.

Jake seemed to catch on a little against Clemson last year as well, although it was much too late. And he did not play in the second half against Clemson in 2016. There is still hope.

Clemson is not that good on the O Line or the back seven on D.The key on Offense is misdirection and avoiding the initial push from the D Line - do that, and the soft underbelly is exposed downfield.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #146
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 14155
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

The last 2 games were unwatchable, I just want them to keep this one close. Watching Clemson hang 77 on Louisville, and then seeing how easily Ole Miss moved the ball on us has not left me with a good feeling.
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #147
tkousc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
tkousc is USC mascot materialtkousc is USC mascot materialtkousc is USC mascot materialtkousc is USC mascot materialtkousc is USC mascot materialtkousc is USC mascot materialtkousc is USC mascot materialtkousc is USC mascot materialtkousc is USC mascot materialtkousc is USC mascot materialtkousc is USC mascot material

I really don't think we can because their defensive line is gonna get some stops for them. We would need to only punt like 1 time to have a chance.
tkousc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #148
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

I hope the team doesn't have the same mindset as most of our fans...

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #149
2k15
Music Lover

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162000
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

What's the ceiling we can score against the Clemson defense? We've had 17 total points the last two years combined, so at best I think we can maybe hit around 24 or 27 points this year if we're on our A game.

Which also begs the question - can we hold Clemson to under that amount on defense? Probably not, given Etienne is very reliable for Clemson and their passing game is pretty good, but if we can stop one of the pass or run, I think we may have a small shot then.

My prediction: Clemson wins with a 40-14 type score
If we were to somehow win: 27-24
Old 11-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #150
highstick
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2700
highstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot material

Only if Venables turns over the coaching duties to Dabo and also lets him call plays.
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #151
roosterdude21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3212019568
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
What's the ceiling we can score against the Clemson defense? We've had 17 total points the last two years combined, so at best I think we can maybe hit around 24 or 27 points this year if we're on our A game.

Which also begs the question - can we hold Clemson to under that amount on defense? Probably not, given Etienne is very reliable for Clemson and their passing game is pretty good, but if we can stop one of the pass or run, I think we may have a small shot then.

My prediction: Clemson wins with a 40-14 type score
If we were to somehow win: 27-24
Depends on how soon they send in their guys for garbage time. We can probably score on their 3rd stringers late in the game.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #152
GSC2013
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
Clemson has among the best, if not the best, DLs in the nation. Without a doubt. Expecting anything less than us getting manhandled is just setting up for disappointment. They are more talented and deeper than across the board. We don’t have a single matchup advantage in this game.

Jake has performed absolutely horribly in 2 outings against Clemson. I don’t look for that to change. They’re just in his head.
Exactly right on every point.

USC friends....we are setting ourselves up for a huge letdown if you expect anything short of a blowout vs Clemson. Its at their place. They’ll be ranked 1 or 2 with a weak ACC CCG opponent on deck so they wont be looking ahead. Hell we probably will be better than that ACC CCG opponent.

They have 5-6 NFL players on that DL 2-deep. Jake will have 3 seconds max to throw on most plays.
We haven’t covered Hunter Renfro in years and wont start now.
Lawerence is a 2021 1st round draft pick at QB. Sorry its just true.

Theres always that <%10 we stun them with an upset. But more likely its gonna be a 30-40 point blowout so lets just stop setting ourselves up.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #153
GSC2013
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I hope the team doesn't have the same mindset as most of our fans...

They wont. Players always think they can win. All 18-22 year olds also all know they will be comfortable millionaires and retired at 40 and will meet the perfect wife at 25 and live happily and healthy for 100 years haha.

Theres no harm in seeing reality in this game though. Anyone who looks at USC vs Clemson and DOESNT expect a blowout loss is just In fantasyland
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #154
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Theres no harm in seeing reality in this game though. Anyone who looks at USC vs Clemson and DOESNT expect a blowout loss is just In fantasyland
Hey Mom, I'm going to Disneyworld!!

You folks have let the past 4 years get in your heads....

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #155
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6200
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Sure, we can defeat Clemson. We just need to call "Kick Ass, on One!"
Old 11-09-2018, 09:11 PM   #156
eklypised
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1152093
eklypised is USC mascot materialeklypised is USC mascot materialeklypised is USC mascot materialeklypised is USC mascot materialeklypised is USC mascot materialeklypised is USC mascot materialeklypised is USC mascot materialeklypised is USC mascot materialeklypised is USC mascot materialeklypised is USC mascot materialeklypised is USC mascot material

We will have to come up with a extensive offensive gameplan to block their DL. Double teams, leave TEs and running backs in. I really dont know if we can.
eklypised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:16 PM   #157
2k15
Music Lover

Male

2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

Man it's just about time we give em another unexpected knockout blow in this series. It's been long enough since we won an unexpected one. If the ACC really is that bad, who knows, maybe we have a shot if we play lights out.

Still not too optimistic. But this the rivalry, the hatred. Anything can happen.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:27 PM   #158
Coulwoodwarlord
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 17000000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Yes! We can.
We just have to score when we have the ball.
Easy peasy!
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:13 PM   #159
NinjaSven
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5540
NinjaSven is USC mascot materialNinjaSven is USC mascot materialNinjaSven is USC mascot materialNinjaSven is USC mascot materialNinjaSven is USC mascot materialNinjaSven is USC mascot materialNinjaSven is USC mascot materialNinjaSven is USC mascot materialNinjaSven is USC mascot materialNinjaSven is USC mascot materialNinjaSven is USC mascot material

We can but we won't.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:04 AM   #160
2k15
Music Lover

Male

From a gameplan perspective, the only way I see us having a chance is if we completely abandon the run early in the game. And when I say completely I mean it. Clemson blitzes every damn down when they play us and we get zilch at best running the football. We have to start off this game doing short passes and avoiding Clemson's defensive line altogether.

Yes it's a very one dimensional approach but we've seen two years in a row now where starting the game off with a balanced offense has just bitten us in the ass and stalled out drives quickly. I'm sure you all remember in 2016 in death valley how on our very first drive Clemson just blitzed and sacked Bentley twice right away, and got our RB for a loss on the other play. Quick 3 and out which got into Bentley's head right away. We can't start out this game watching them get after and pressure Bentley. He will crack big time.

Screen passes to the RB with blockers, quick slants over the middle, screen passes on the outside with Deebo, Edwards, and Shi so they can power forward for yardage. Just do things that get the ball off quickly and take Clemson's defensive line out of the equation.

Defensively I don't have a ****ing clue how to begin to stop them. I just hope that we are 100% on the injury front so that we are the best we can be. It's gonna take absolutely everything we've got. I suppose shut down Etienne and make Lawrence beat us through the air (which he definitely can, but it's better than getting pounded by Etienne and wearing our defense out). Try to turn it into the Ole Miss game.