CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
SterlingBrooks
Blackland
rt3891
Ironfan
DJ35
TaySC
5lbYardcock
GregoryHouse
Lonnie
PFW79
Predictions: South C (2809)
Thoughts on Freshmen (2492)
**USC Women (2-0) vs (1399)
**USC (2-2) vs. Geor (1315)
The 2018 Gamecocks a (655)
Tigers by 25 (540)
USC's Tight Ends (519)
2019 - DJ Williams - (444)
Ruin Thanksgiving in (436)
Crawl space issues (288)
**USC Women (2-0) vs. Mar
Predictions: South Caroli
USC's Tight Ends
Tigers by 25
**USC (2-1) vs. Providenc
2019 - DJ Williams - Appa
The 2018 Gamecocks are av
The GOOD news vs Clemson.
Champ vs Spurrier
Can We Upset Clemson?

Old 11-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #141
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Injury updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I hear you, but I also hear our coach.
I don't think Muschamp would say anything different in public.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #142
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
It's just my opinion. Take a deep breath.

Also, you can apply that logic to anybody. What if Seth Strickland was going to be our best QB ever, and we never played him? The horror! The truth is, some players are just better than others. When Bentley was a commit here, I said Nunez and McIlwain would end up watching games from the sidelines. That ended up being true for both and they transferred. Why is it so bad to say it now? The writing is on the wall.
I want you to be 100% honest with your answer...
How many practices have you watched Joyner this year?
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #143
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Also, you can apply that logic to anybody. What if Seth Strickland was going to be our best QB ever, and we never played him? The horror! The truth is, some players are just better than others. When Bentley was a commit here, I said Nunez and McIlwain would end up watching games from the sidelines. That ended up being true for both and they transferred. Why is it so bad to say it now? The writing is on the wall.
I don't remember anyone saying Seth Strickland should switch to safety.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #144
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
It's bad because we literally haven't seen him have any playing time yet. That's like saying a woman is ugly or beautiful without knowing what she looks like. I'm just saying people need to let the boy have a chance before they say he's no good as a qb.
Ok. I just don't see it happening for him. It's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
I want you to be 100% honest with your answer...
How many practices have you watched Joyner this year?
None. This is just my opinion that I've reached by looking at the available tape. Hilinski (again, in my opinion) projects to be a much better QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
I don't remember anyone saying Seth Strickland should switch to safety.
Well, switching positions isn't the important piece of information when talking about whether or not somebody should get a chance at the position they're already at. I think KOTR would say you can't judge Dak as a QB until we see him play it, whether he switches positions or not.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #145
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Your post would make a lot of sense - if Seth Strickland put up ridiculous numbers in high school and could run the ball better than most running backs. Of course, if he had, he would have been a highly touted FBS QB and not a walk-on.

Dual Threat QBs are all the rage now, and for good reason. They are much more difficult to defend than a pure dropback passer. They give us fits - see Ta'amu last week and Mond earlier in the season for TAMU.

There is a reason that Alabama is on another level than anyone else, and that is their DT QB. You can also make the case that the team with the better DT QB has won the Clemson - South Carolina match-up for the 10 years.

I am not saying that Joyner is on the same level as those guys, but you never know until he gets a shot. He could be even better.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #146
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Your post would make a lot of sense - if Seth Strickland put up ridiculous numbers in high school and could run the ball better than most running backs. Of course, if he had, he would have been a highly touted FBS QB and not a walk-on.

Dual Threat QBs are all the rage now, and for good reason. They are much more difficult to defend than a pure dropback passer. They give us fits - see Ta'amu last week and Mond earlier in the season for TAMU.

There is a reason that Alabama is on another level than anyone else, and that is their DT QB. You can also make the case that the team with the better DT QB has won the Clemson - South Carolina match-up for the 10 years.

I am not saying that Joyner is on the same level as those guys, but you never know until he gets a shot. He could be even better.
Ok. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. Like I said, it's just my opinion that Bentley will be handing the reins over to Hilinski after next season.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #147
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Ok. I just don't see it happening for him. It's just my opinion.

None. This is just my opinion that I've reached by looking at the available tape. Hilinski (again, in my opinion) projects to be a much better QB.

Well, switching positions isn't the important piece of information when talking about whether or not somebody should get a chance at the position they're already at. I think KOTR would say you can't judge Dak as a QB until we see him play it, whether he switches positions or not.
Just a minor nitpick here, but watching highlight tapes isn't the same as watching "tape". I assure you the film the players and coaches watch is vastly different than the videos you and I see.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #148
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 49477
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

The problem with our (the fans) viewpoint on QB's is that we always think we have it all figured out.

Ask almost any diehard FANATICAL Gamecock fan that follows recruiting and they are convinced that it will go:

Bentley ► Hilinski ► Doty

If those 3 live up to all of their hype, then most see no years inbetween to put in a Joyner or a Urich.

Now, I'm not saying that these beliefs are correct or even remotely accurate, but the current hype is on the 3 mentioned, so everyone else may as well switch positions or transfer..... that's the common theme.

I trust Muschamp and Company and time will tell who ends up where. I'm honestly hoping we get a few seasons of Dak being a great QB. I think a great dual threat QB would help our program a lot tbh.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #149
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 3442905
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
The problem with our (the fans) viewpoint on QB's is that we always think we have it all figured out.

Ask almost any diehard FANATICAL Gamecock fan that follows recruiting and they are convinced that it will go:

Bentley ► Hilinski ► Doty

If those 3 live up to all of their hype, then most see no years inbetween to put in a Joyner or a Urich.

Now, I'm not saying that these beliefs are correct or even remotely accurate, but the current hype is on the 3 mentioned, so everyone else may as well switch positions or transfer..... that's the common theme.

I trust Muschamp and Company and time will tell who ends up where. I'm honestly hoping we get a few seasons of Dak being a great QB. I think a great dual threat QB would help our program a lot tbh.
Does Joyner and Ulrich need to be starters to get playing time?
Old 11-08-2018, 02:34 AM   #150
Cocky2001
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5400
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
Based on this season, unless the starter gets hurt, yes.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #151
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Honestly, I haven’t seen any film on Doty, so I have no idea what he’ll be like.

But like I said, we’ll just have to wait and see. I would think that most people would put money on Hilinski being the starter after Bentley though. Muschamp isn’t going to let a QB with NFL potential to ride the bench and hope he doesn’t transfer out.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:37 AM   #152
Garnet&BLK
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Garnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot materialGarnet&BLK is USC mascot material

Is there anyway Ibe & Harvey could get a medical redshirt being they havenít played but 4 games this year?
Garnet&BLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #153
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet&BLK View Post
Is there anyway Ibe & Harvey could get a medical redshirt being they havenít played but 4 games this year?
theyre both redshirt seniors so technically their eligibility clock expires after this season. under the new rules i havent read any details that updates how it changes if it changes at all the application process and potential success of applying for a 6th year. we already know caleb kinlaw is applying for a 6th year.

basically though youre going to have to show you missed almost entirely 2 years of competition just like under the old format. this doesnt apply to harvey, but the question i have now is are there specific guidelines like there were previously in regards to injury caused redshirts for 2 years that lead to a 6th year being granted.

answering the question, based on the old system and what we know it would seem like harvey would likely get a 6th year if hes not cleared to play the rest of the year. the problem is hes missed a long time with a concussion, so it makes you wonder if he may need to medically retire from football if he doesnt get cleared the rest of the year. if ibe cant make it back this year the question is his 2014 redshirt season at rice, if it was because of an injury then he could likely get a 6th year, if not then theres no chance.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #154
Cornerback
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 2000
Cornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudlyCornerback is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
That's a good idea...I would run Scar a series or two just to give him some reps b/c our last game is going to be brutal, but we need to get some reps under the other two's belts. Problem is, historically we play to the level of our competition and this limits/eliminates the ability to give game experience to backups.

Not true. There is no way to duplicate being on the 'big stage' with 80,000+ fans watching/screaming at you, being on world-wide tv, the clock being live, and knowing that a hostile defense is after you. Huge difference between that and being behind a fence, with any defense that doesn't want to hurt a team mate, and where a coaches whistle can save you. Plus, every thread on this site discusses how bad our D is this year. You have to see what they are going to do in a game.

Rewatching the game, I am pretty sure that he was in on the last play of the first half. It was just a kneel down, and I didn't see him after that, but, if he even came back out for that it may be a good sign. I agree with you, that is one that we really need back, he and Bailey seemed to really work well together on the left side. Camper I thought had one of his better games spelling him, but hope that Young is ready to go.
I never saw him return to the game, but I did see this in Muschamp's injury report from last night: "...Young was injured in the game at Ole Miss and unable to return." He said both Young and Daley will return for the UF game so that was a relief. Looks like BAW will probably be out as well as Sterling which is not good. Rico is still not 100%.
Cornerback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #155
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

according to the state, muschamp said dowdle not at full speed, but ty'son and aj will play. daley and young will play. jt ibe could return as soon as the chattanooga game.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #156
2k15
Music Lover

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162000
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
according to the state, muschamp said dowdle not at full speed, but ty'son and aj will play. daley and young will play. jt ibe could return as soon as the chattanooga game.
IMO the most valuable players to get back. Florida wins games with their defensive linemen - by far the strongest asset to their team.

We all know that our offense is only as good as Jake is, so it's vital he has good coverage so he can have a good game. Keeping our O-line in tact is terrific news.

I feel comfortable with the secondary situation, I think we will be fine between Williams, Denson, and Turner at RB, and it sucks to lose BAW but Enagbare/Johnson are pretty good backups.

Bring on Florida! Win anyway!
Old 11-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #157
2k15
Music Lover

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162000
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

I don't know how much some fans are banking on Joyner to be something special but I truly think Ryan Hilinski has a 2-3 year starting career ahead of him for us after Jake leaves.

He is an incredible arm talent and reads defenses very well. Joyner is good too but watching his tape he seemed like running talent first, and a passing talent second.

They both can be great, I'm just yearning to see us have a QB with consistent dead on reads, accuracy, and a strong arm. Hilinski is that talent, and Dak hasn't shown me that quite yet.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #158
Blackland
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4200
Blackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
Can't they play in 4 games and still redshirt? Would not hurt to see them in the right situation would it?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #159
socartex
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
socartex is making other chickens nervoussocartex is making other chickens nervoussocartex is making other chickens nervoussocartex is making other chickens nervoussocartex is making other chickens nervoussocartex is making other chickens nervoussocartex is making other chickens nervous

"Injury updates
Brutal today.

Reserving this thread for updates as they come in."

This is the first post. Go back and read before you post the next post. I had to read a dozen or so posts to figure out that some of you are picking nits.
socartex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:32 AM   #160
Cocky2001
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5400
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerback View Post
I never saw him return to the game, but I did see this in Muschamp's injury report from last night: "...Young was injured in the game at Ole Miss and unable to return." He said both Young and Daley will return for the UF game so that was a relief. Looks like BAW will probably be out as well as Sterling which is not good. Rico is still not 100%.
He was in for the kneel down at the 10 second mark of the second quarter. Mushchamp probably meant for any meaningful plays, but Camper had been in at this point. At the time of the post, I was just glad that he was able to trot out on the field meaning that he was hurt, but not injured.

Regardless, glad he is back this week.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote