CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
taylorssc
Spur's Addiction
TaySC
etowngangsta
SheckWes
rt3891
wildwes
TastyLicks
TAFC 5 1981
Facilities (1708)
Getting Paid. (1350)
Muschamp: the anti- (1066)
2020 Charlie Spegal (875)
Didn't catch the lat (466)
Hey Y'all...Penny Ma (271)
Football staff raise (218)
2020 Warm / Warmer / (186)
2020 - Deidrick Stan (161)
Dinosaur footprints (146)
Facilities
2019 - Jashawn Sheffield
Vote for Hilinski
100 DAYS!!!
2019 Warm / Warmer / Favo
2019 - Reddy Steward
2019 - Samuel Brooks - Mi
2020 - Deidrick Stanley
2019 - Tyron Hopper - Flo
2019 - John Dixon

Old 12-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 873262
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material
Default Killing The Shift?

It seems that some are starting to get onboard with the idea of dictating whether teams can or cannot use the "shift" in the field.

I have some mixed feelings about it tbh.

On one hand, the game, when it was initially created didn't dictate exact spots that players had to line up (outside of pitcher and catcher of course).

On the other hand, I do like seeing hitters have a better chance of getting a hit. I do, however, understand the point that a good hitter should be able to use the entire field.

https://theathletic.com/694910/2018/...rce=dailyemail

What does everyone think? Would this mess up the game or make it better if it ever came into play at the college level?
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21
Default Re: Killing The Shift?

I get a great deal of joy when a team employs the shift, only to have the batter go opposite field on them. Good hitters can beat the shift. Kyle Martin comes to mind. Teams would shift on him and he'd just unload one on them to Left.

I think the issue is that shifts have become more obvious these days, with 3B lining up at SS, and so forth. I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
TaySC
Household Name

Male

TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

I like seeing when our hitters beat the shift, but the % of them overall doing so is just so low.

Good offseason discussion, but I hate to see drastic rule changes.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 260386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

How can you dictate where people put their players in the field? Ludicrous.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 1001856
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBrooks View Post
How can you dictate where people put their players in the field? Ludicrous.

Exactly. A team should be able to have all 9 players in the infield if they do choose.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
donbgamecock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 43589
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
It seems that some are starting to get onboard with the idea of dictating whether teams can or cannot use the "shift" in the field.

I have some mixed feelings about it tbh.

On one hand, the game, when it was initially created didn't dictate exact spots that players had to line up (outside of pitcher and catcher of course).

On the other hand, I do like seeing hitters have a better chance of getting a hit. I do, however, understand the point that a good hitter should be able to use the entire field.

https://theathletic.com/694910/2018/...rce=dailyemail

What does everyone think? Would this mess up the game or make it better if it ever came into play at the college level?
I think leave the game alone! The rules of baseball donít need to change. The peanut heads that want to see change for the sake of change need thier shells cracked open.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
GamecockInHell
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1802785
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I think the shift is dumb against good hitters, but it sure seemed to work against ours a lot. But to make it work just like positioning your players in the field you have to have pitchers with control.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #8
TheMule
Band

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Hitters, especially MLB hitters, want to swing for the fence resulting in huge swings and pulling the ball...or strikeouts. That makes it good strategy to use the shift. If hitters will drop their ego and learn to hit against the shift instead of hitting into it the shift will go away. Most hitters can't even lay down a bunt where half the infield is uncovered.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbgamecock View Post
I think leave the game alone! The rules of baseball donít need to change. The peanut heads that want to see change for the sake of change need thier shells cracked open.
I agree.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

The thing about the shift, is that it's not used against guys who can hit opposite field well. It's a data-driven alignment based on the hitter's history.

So, yeah, we would never see a shift against guys who hit opposite field well anyways. I'm not against the shift. If a hitter is a one-trick pony, then they deserve to be exposed.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #11
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
I get a great deal of joy when a team employs the shift, only to have the batter go opposite field on them. Good hitters can beat the shift. Kyle Martin comes to mind. Teams would shift on him and he'd just unload one on them to Left.

I think the issue is that shifts have become more obvious these days, with 3B lining up at SS, and so forth. I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.

Or just squirt a hard bunt by the bag at 3rd.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #12
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1472263
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Hate it when it works against us, love it when it works for us.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
longhaul
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1960
longhaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot material

It supposedly all about adding more offense to the game to make it more exciting. I don't agree with it at all. I say let team employ the strategies they want to use and leave the game alone. Everything is being geared toward the ADD society we have developed. Maybe we should keep some things that require people to stay focused.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #14
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 1001856
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
It supposedly all about adding more offense to the game to make it more exciting. I don't agree with it at all. I say let team employ the strategies they want to use and leave the game alone. Everything is being geared toward the ADD society we have developed. Maybe we should keep some things that require people to stay focused.

STAY FOCUS!
Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 170240220783
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Make all teams cookie cutter, don't let one team be too good, and eliminate the championship while you are at it! Might melt the snowflake! LOL
ucan'tlickourcocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

As I say to people all the time...

It's ok if you think baseball is boring. It is a smart person's sport.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #17
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

I saw this video last year. This is all I need to know about the shift. There's a reason the players are set up where they're set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #18
COCKDIESEL
Could've been a Contender

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 48200000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Maybe we just need better hitters in the game. All they care about now is launch angle and exit velocity from the hitters. Even with two strikes everyone is swinging for the long ball. Good things happen when you just put the ball in play.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #19
TaySC
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
I saw this video last year. This is all I need to know about the shift. There's a reason the players are set up where they're set up.

Nice video.

I wouldn't expect the shift to work as well in MLB as it does in college though.

I would love to see some great data over a decade to give us an average for that.

Obviously it depends on the hitter, but USC has had some hitters so one trick pony that even against the overshift they couldn't even bunt the ball for a base hit when the entire 3rd base side was left open. That's just bad hitting.....

The player in the video in MLB that didn't run cover 3rd base after doing an overshift is just sad.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #20
TaySC
Household Name

Male

Andrew Eyster (Gamecock commit) tweeted something that I thought was an interesting point....

Quote:
Hitters should do what it takes to beat the shift, but at the same, there is no point of having “positions” if fielders can go wherever they please. #hottake