CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
Master Bedroom
GAMEKEM
Blitzkrieg
Three and Out
GregoryHouse
carolina_corpsman
ConwayGamecock
Milks26
gamecockphan
Laeticia Amihere Enr (340)
SEC Shorts....2018 S (232)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ AUB (159)
2020 - Jerrold Pough (155)
2020 - Vershon Lee (136)
NFL: PATRIOTS vs RAM (134)
Dumb Crook News (108)
2020 - Michael Wyman
2019 - Michel Dukes
2018 NFL Playoffs
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2022 WBB - Talaysia Coope
2019 - Jaquaze Sorrells
WBB: Leticia Amihere #2 i
*** #15/20 USC WBB (12-5,
2020 - Jerrold Pough
2020 - Vershon Lee

Old 01-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #201
wincocks84
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material
Default Re: No longer USC

Sometimes I feel like our blunders are intentional.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #202
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

CockyCash: 3000
Absfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPit

I wonder if the blowback would have been worse if we just changed our mascot to get out of the chicken curse...
Absfract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #203
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2010508
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absfract View Post
I wonder if the blowback would have been worse if we just changed our mascot to get out of the chicken curse...

Some Day SOON.. We will bow to PETA and PC crowd and do just that.
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #204
igotmycockcloth
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1300
igotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBird View Post
Just wondering, has anyone made issue of the color of the UofSC logo being wrong? On a Gamecocks page on Facebook, the admin referred to the color as burgundy instead of garnet, but did it in a way that implied that our school color was burgundy instead. I knew for sure he knew the right color, but when someone commented "it's garnet, not burgundy!" I replied in agreement, and he took us to task for insulting him that he didn't know it was garnet (fair enough). I apologized but further said that at least to me, it was close enough on my browser to not notice the difference. He proceeded to dismiss my apology and go on a rant about how the logo is clearly burgundy and not garnet and we were very insulting to him.

Surprisingly I wasn't banninated but I did note that the other person is no longer in the group, either by their choice or by banhammer.

TLDR: not only does the logo suck, it's the wrong color (maybe)
Someone on twitter mentioned that the color was wrong, and the logo looked blurry. Then some UofSC staff members acknowledged they dropped the ball and release incorrect logos.

It also is painfully obvious there was no media plan to control the narrative. Hence why UofSC is getting blasted in the papers.

Too many mistakes made for a University with enough funding to hire experienced personnel.
igotmycockcloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #205
acejrock

Male

CockyCash: 112520266
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Getting a lot of crap...from Clemson fans.
Agriculture schools tend to produce a lot of manure.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #206
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100013000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
Some Day SOON.. We will bow to PETA and PC crowd and do just that.
At this point, I almost want to change it just to shake things up and sort of shake off the past and start something new. It has NOTHING to do with PETA or being politically correct. I realize even with a change of mascot our past will still belong to us, but it will at least feel like a fresh start for the team, fans, and recruits.

I do love the gamecocks since it is has been the only mascot I have known in my life, but at this point we might need to rock the boat in a major way. I know and understand that my thoughts on this will be seriously unpopular, but it is the way I'm seeing things right now.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #207
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 8996672
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

this is the caponization of our gamecocks continued...
Old 01-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #208
taylorssc
Raisinballin'

Male

CockyCash: 1000337
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Email J.C. Huggins, Director of Brand Strategy. This was his call. He fell short.

mailto:huggins@sc.edu
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #209
igotmycockcloth
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1300
igotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervousigotmycockcloth is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
Email J.C. Huggins, Director of Brand Strategy. This was his call. He fell short.

mailto:huggins@sc.edu
Maybe someone should tell JC that he should have had a media plan. Even a basic one.

From JCís interview in the state, itís clear he doesnít know what to do when a reporter asks a question, let alone explain what the rebrand is about. Never mind giving the media talking points exaplaining the rebrand decisions.
igotmycockcloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #210
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 5399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
At this point, I almost want to change it just to shake things up and sort of shake off the past and start something new. It has NOTHING to do with PETA or being politically correct. I realize even with a change of mascot our past will still belong to us, but it will at least feel like a fresh start for the team, fans, and recruits.

I do love the gamecocks since it is has been the only mascot I have known in my life, but at this point we might need to rock the boat in a major way. I know and understand that my thoughts on this will be seriously unpopular, but it is the way I'm seeing things right now.
Actually it will be for politically correct reasons. The Crowing Rooster was the symbol of the Democratic Party until 1966, when it was replaced by the donkey. It was used as a symbol of white supremacy in segragationist Alabama. Also, in "South Carolina: A History", by Dr. Walter Edgar, there is a picture of a rooster, and he says that it is a symbol of white supremacy, in the caption, but he never talks about it anywhere else in the book. My copy of that book has been lent out to a family member, so if someone here wants to look it up for citation purposes.

I've really been surprised that the issue hasn't been dug up. And, yes, we will cow tow. We just cow towed to a university 2400 miles away .
Old 01-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #211
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
this is the caponization of our gamecocks continued...
Nice vocabulary use to make a great point.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #212
GeoCocky66
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 21773
GeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
Actually it will be for politically correct reasons. The Crowing Rooster was the symbol of the Democratic Party until 1966, when it was replaced by the donkey. It was used as a symbol of white supremacy in segragationist Alabama. Also, in "South Carolina: A History", by Dr. Walter Edgar, there is a picture of a rooster, and he says that it is a symbol of white supremacy, in the caption, but he never talks about it anywhere else in the book. My copy of that book has been lent out to a family member, so if someone here wants to look it up for citation purposes.

I've really been surprised that the issue hasn't been dug up. And, yes, we will cow tow. We just cow towed to a university 2400 miles away .
Sometimes a cock is just a cock....
GeoCocky66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #213
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
Sometimes a cock is just a cock....
So, our new mascot should be The fighting Richard Craniums and our logo will be an obelisk?
Old 01-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #214
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:

I'm saying MY reasons for being okay with a change would have nothing to do with politics or PETA. Any other reasons for a potential change would be coincidence.

At any rate, I'm fairly confident in saying it's a moot point for now and likely a very long time to come. I was simply stating that a major shake up like that might not necessarily be bad.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #215
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

Quote:
I'm saying MY reasons for being okay with a change would have nothing to do with politics or PETA. Any other reasons for a potential change would be coincidence.

At any rate, I'm fairly confident in saying it's a moot point for now and likely a very long time to come. I was simply stating that a major shake up like that might not necessarily be bad.
I just hope when they change it that it's something that is still unique to South Carolina, like Sandlappers or Loggerheads(lol) or Fire Ants.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #216
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

CockyCash: 10950385
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I just hope when they change it that it's something that is still unique to South Carolina, like Sandlappers or Loggerheads(lol) or Fire Ants.
What, we donít have tigers indigenous to South Carolina?
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #217
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

CockyCash: 3000
Absfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPit

Quote:
I was simply stating that a major shake up like that might not necessarily be bad.
Agreed... and my point is that instead of doing the low hanging fruit rebranding that might be extremely painful... we opted for this weak bull crap.
Absfract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM   #218
mako
Recruit

CockyCash: 500
mako has earned his spursmako has earned his spursmako has earned his spursmako has earned his spursmako has earned his spursmako has earned his spurs

I hate it...it like we admitted to uofsuc...argh...the dorks involved should be burnt at the stake...
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 PM   #219
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absfract View Post
Agreed... and my point is that instead of doing the low hanging fruit rebranding that might be extremely painful... we opted for this weak bull crap.
Yeah. As strange as it seems, it's possible people would have been more open to the idea of changing the mascot than to accept the idea of forfeiting USC as a valid shorthand for the school.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:43 PM   #220
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 8996672
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
So, our new mascot should be The fighting Richard Craniums and our logo will be an obelisk?
Thanks my man.