CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
6pack
weatheredxtown
Captain9Dragons
ShutTheSuccop
SwampFox
TheMule
Spurticus
BiscoCocky
carolina_corpsman
Music Thread: Gospel (256)
Rumored Challenger H (233)
Latest Vandy Crimina (222)
Thoughts on music ge (151)
2018 - Dorian Gerald
Phil Steele
Dozier Signs With the Lak
Which Restaurant Do You M
2018 - Jovaughn Gwyn
2018 - Stephon Wynn
Latest Vandy Criminals
2018 Commitment - Wyatt C
Official Baseball Coachin
Seat Selection

View Poll Results: Is winning Gamecocks national title in football important?
Yes - it will be a dream of a lifetime 46 69.70%
Yes - but not that big of a deal 16 24.24%
No - I pull for the Gamecocks but winning isn't important 1 1.52%
No - I don't really care 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
uscjeremynca
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 590
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default How important is it that we win the national title?

After Clemson won last night, I was very discouraged. Made me question how much time I put into the Gamecocks and sports in general. However, I don't think that is a horrible thing. So it has made me wonder - how important is it to win the national championship?

After 108 years, the Cubs won the World Series. Many fans can die happy now. But I wonder how many Cubs fans aren't as joyful as they thought they would be now that it's done. Was hope more rewarding that achieving the goal? What's next?

What about the actor who spends his whole life trying to win an Oscar? Finally in his 70s he wins one. Does he feel he wasted his life trying to win an award that may not be as rewarding or meaningful as the effort and time he put into it?

What if we do win a championship? What's next? Obviously, Alabama (and now Clemson) have the standard of getting back to the title game every year and anything less than that will be a bit of a disappointment.

Growing up a Gamecock was so much more than winning. It was about family, tailgating, culture, friends, the college experience, shaping and directing my life to where I am today. How much does winning a national title really matter?

After some reflection, last night was a good thing for me. I left SC 15 years ago but have always been a passionate fan. Anyone who knows me knows who I cheer for. However, last night brought a perspective I've never had with any other sport or team. I felt the freedom to be a fan but not be a fanatic. I cried when we won the national title in baseball in 2010. Winning another national title would be great but won't mean as much as I used to make it out to be.
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
LawyerLarry
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
LawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudly
Default Re: How important is it that we win the national title?

In March, the only people who will be thinking about Clemson's national title win are Clemson fans, Nick Saban and Cockytalk posters.
LawyerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
gamecockphan
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

When I was younger it would have been one of the best things to ever happen to me. Now that I'm almost 40 with a wife, 2 kids, a career, 2 houses and more important shit going on - it would be nice but there are other things way up the list that matter.

In fact, I'd rather see the Panthers win a SB than the Cocks win the natty.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
RevengeoftheCOCK
Banned

Male

RevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his clawsRevengeoftheCOCK is sharpening his claws

You paly to win the game! It is important or you would not be a fan but it is not eating, breathing and waking up everyday important!
RevengeoftheCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
Pw00132
4-Star

Male

Pw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot material

Winning the national title is the most important thing in college football. If a program doesn't strive to win the title then they are waisting their time.
Pw00132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #6
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

I'm going to say it should be important. To me though, I would say SEC title game is most important. Those two kind of go hand in hand though I guess. Right now our focus should be on winning our division.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

In the grand scheme of things, it's just a game so it doesn't matter in terms of real life.

If Carolina wins a national title we will all go just as crazy, if not more so, than Clemson fans are right now.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #8
FanofCarolina1
💩💩💩💩

Male

CockyCash: 200
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I've seen Clemson win 2 in my lifetime so far and damn near 3. If I see Carolina win one or more before I die, I'll be happy.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #9
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 260386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

I've never allowed myself to dream of such a thing. Just has never been very likely.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #10
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Let's join the Big 12. Might be an easier road. Of course we lose SEC money.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #11
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

If you've supported Carolina football this long, then chances are winning a national championship is not the key to your fandom. There are so many programs out there, that whittling it down to just one trophy wouldn't do justice.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #12
Cockadowdledoo
Banned

Male

Cockadowdledoo is sharpening his clawsCockadowdledoo is sharpening his clawsCockadowdledoo is sharpening his clawsCockadowdledoo is sharpening his clawsCockadowdledoo is sharpening his claws

It's important. We are an SEC team not Arkansas State. We should always be looking towards the national championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cockadowdledoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #13
CarolinaCat
Walk On

CockyCash: 300
CarolinaCat is making other chickens nervousCarolinaCat is making other chickens nervousCarolinaCat is making other chickens nervousCarolinaCat is making other chickens nervousCarolinaCat is making other chickens nervousCarolinaCat is making other chickens nervousCarolinaCat is making other chickens nervous

A National Title becomes unimportant only to those who realize its not gonna happen.

Baseball , Equestrian , Track etc..could and will in all likelihood be accomplished again.

Football and Hoops , figuring I have approx 25 more years to live - not holding my breath that either of the two sports will pull it off.
CarolinaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #14
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1668234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

It's not anything. Be nice if we did but life goes on
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #15
doc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 40000000
doc rules the CockPitdoc rules the CockPitdoc rules the CockPitdoc rules the CockPitdoc rules the CockPitdoc rules the CockPitdoc rules the CockPitdoc rules the CockPitdoc rules the CockPitdoc rules the CockPitdoc rules the CockPit

The reason you play any game is because you want
to win. The championship is always the goal.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #16
Clemson2017Champs
Walk On

Male

Clemson2017Champs has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
In fact, I'd rather see the Panthers win a SB than the Cocks win the natty.
Not a true Gamecock or fan of college football.
Clemson2017Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #17
KingMe
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 11010
KingMe rules the CockPitKingMe rules the CockPitKingMe rules the CockPitKingMe rules the CockPitKingMe rules the CockPitKingMe rules the CockPitKingMe rules the CockPitKingMe rules the CockPitKingMe rules the CockPitKingMe rules the CockPitKingMe rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson2017Champs View Post
Not a true Gamecock or fan of college football.
I agree with you.

Fans like this and we have a lot of them, are why we are a 6-7 team.

Donate, attend, stay the whole game. Make the team the center of the universe and go win by any means necessary. Thats what builds championship teams.
KingMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 PM   #18
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 100549
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

What? Isn't winning a championship the only reason you play sports? What a ridiculous discussion
kick_ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #19
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

CockyCash: 10950385
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

The threads today have been about what I expected.
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #20
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 8981001
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Well I will be honest it doesn't matter if we never win one I love my Gamecocks because it is all I have known since I was born and it's all I will ever know. I will never be fair weather or change allegiance it is that simple.

That said I would love for us to win it all in football and every sport every year but let me tell you this. I will never Love the Gamecocks anymore or less because it is in your blood or it isn't. I am more proud to be a Gamecock today now that our biggest rival and our neighbors are celebrating a natty of their own it will never deter my Love or hope for my team.