CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NAGamec0ckFan
kingofnerf
The Yancey
Captain9Dragons
Spurticus
Rooster'srule
Spur's Addiction
Senior Rooster
GregoryHouse
TKE226
Uniforms vs Clemson (2282)
South Carolina (991)
Mike Leach on CFP (790)
GameDay Kickoff: The (507)
This Egg Bowl might (369)
FCC to end net neutr (333)
Tailgating with dogs (243)
Do you feel awkward (225)
Star Wars game day t (177)
HAPPY TURKEY DAY MY (172)
New Smart TV
2018 Commitment - Dakereo
NFL: GIANTS @ REDSKINS Th
2018 - Dorian Gerald
NCAAF: VIRGINIA TECH @ VI
South Carolina
Uniforms vs Clemson
24 in the CFP rankings
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Can we run the ball?

Old 11-14-2017, 04:26 PM   #1
JDStud6
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 15065
JDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot material
Default Clips of Jake's vision

These are from the 1st half of the Florida game.

Shi Smith was wide open and may have taken that for a 95 yard TD

On this one, Turner picks up the blitz and gives Jake time to throw. However, Jake only looks at Edwards and realizes he can't get the ball there so he takes off. August is wide open in the middle.

Of course he did throw another pick not long after the first one, but at least he made the right decision on that throw. If he had made it a second earlier or more to the outside, that may have been a TD as well. But instead, he waited too long and threw it to the outside which allowed the safety to come get the pick. He still has some growing pains and hopefully next year he'll be more comfortable which should allow him to settle his throws early in games and should allow him to go through his progressions. The plays are there to be made.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
robgusc76
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76
Default Re: Clips of Jake's vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post

On this one, Turner picks up the blitz and gives Jake time to throw. However, Jake only looks at Edwards and realizes he can't get the ball there so he takes off. August is wide open in the middle.

Of course he did throw another pick not long after the first one, but at least he made the right decision on that throw. If he had made it a second earlier or more to the outside, that may have been a TD as well. But instead, he waited too long and threw it to the outside which allowed the safety to come get the pick. He still has some growing pains and hopefully next year he'll be more comfortable which should allow him to settle his throws early in games and should allow him to go through his progressions. The plays are there to be made.

JD
Its pretty easy to do this sitting there staring at GIF's all day...Aint it?
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:

. The plays are there to be made.

JD
Thanks for the gifs. Yes, the plays are there to be made. I know this isn't a popular thing to say, but I wish we've give one of our back-ups a chance. A QB controversy can be a good thing.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
Senior Rooster
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9999111
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
GIF or No GIF. JD is just showing the fact the plays ARE there. Jake is just not looking/seeing the field.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

The first one was bad, because even if they were on the same page, the route was still tightly covered. The 2nd one is just great pressure. We see August is open so we want the throw to be there, but Jake's first read was to Edwards, it wasn't there and then the pressure was too much. Jake could have tried to throw that one, gotten hit, and fumbled. Instead, he brought it down and played the next down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
JDStud6
Bowl MVP

Male

JDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot materialJDStud6 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
I was just rewatching the game and saw these two that were obvious to me so I quickly made the GIFs to show we have a lot of potential, and it's not all on Roper for our lack of offense. We are getting much better at cleaning up some issues, but still have a ways to go and still need our main guy (Jake) to step it up next year and we will be much improved.

By no means do I think his job is easy. Things move fast out there. Hopefully next year he takes that big step towards greatness. He has the tools, and we have the weapons.

JD
Old 11-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
JDStud6
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
GIF or No GIF. JD is just showing the fact the plays ARE there. Jake is just not looking/seeing the field.
points to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
The first one was bad, because even if they were on the same page, the route was still tightly covered. The 2nd one is just great pressure. We see August is open so we want the throw to be there, but Jake's first read was to Edwards, it wasn't there and then the pressure was too much. Jake could have tried to throw that one, gotten hit, and fumbled. Instead, he brought it down and played the next down.
I agree with both of your points. That throw to Edwards could have been a 1st down, but had Jake seen Shi that's the obvious throw there.

We haven't had a LONG TD in what feels like forever. Maybe Troy Williamson on a 93 yarder back in the day?

JD
Old 11-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Am I wrong in this: I may not be entirely up to date on the RPO philosophy, but from my understanding of it, the read determines not only to pass or run, but also where and who to pass it to. Meaning, in the RPO its not so much of a progression of receivers than a result of where to throw it to, based on what the QB reads. So if Jake reads it right, then his first option should be open? Therefore, why make progressions to 2nd and 3rd options?

Because it often seems like once Jake makes his read, and its a pass play, that he locks onto one receiver from the get-go, and stays with him through the whole way. Is he even being coached in the RPO to make progressions to other targets?? Also conceding that Jake could just be making incorrect reads, or simply the opposing defense makes a great read of their own and covers the target effectively....
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
Master Bedroom
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
points to you

I agree with both of your points. That throw to Edwards could have been a 1st down, but had Jake seen Shi that's the obvious throw there.

We haven't had a LONG TD in what feels like forever. Maybe Troy Williamson on a 93 yarder back in the day?

JD
68 yards to Deebo on the first play against Uk this year...ugh we should've won that game...
Master Bedroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #10
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
points to you

JD
Williamson actually went 99 on a slant against UGA back in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #11
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

On the first INT, I think it was simply a mis-read there on Jake's part. This looks like a specific pass play where Edwards is supposed to go and then stop or make a double-move, while Shi cuts up field. In the case of the INT, Shi didn't cut up-field as quickly and as hard as he could have - if so, and if Jake had thrown to him, yes it could have possibly been a TD. As it was, the defender that ended up getting the INT was in a great angle to peel off of Edwards and run down Shi, had Jake thrown it to Shi. It still would have been for a big gain...

I think we ran this same play or a similar play earlier in the game, and it helped us get our first score. We threw it to Shi Smith who caught it at the UF 2-yd line. Remember that play: the UF tackler fell down and Shi just stood there looking down at him? Edwards was right on Shi's heels - he basically kept running up the field that time. It almost resulted in two receivers being in the same spot of the field on the play.

So I don't know if Edwards was told to stop and turn the next time, and Jake missed that, or if Edwards took it on himself, and got off the same page Jake was on....
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #12
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 5000000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
points to you

JD
Byrd and Cooper both had some long TD catches during their time here. Shaq and Alshon too

Most recent long TD (i assume over 40 yards?) was to Hurst I believe

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #13
MjGCock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 342
MjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talonsMjGCock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
Yeah I think this is critical in evaluating Roper since he's everyone's favorite punching bag. Does he have plays that get people open? I think that the answer to that is yes. Are there other aspects of his job? Sure, but this is the one where player execution or lack thereof will make him look the worst.
MjGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #14
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1593234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Clearly the intent here is to Fire Roper!
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #15
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1593234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I’m no expert but on a roll out are t you taught to look inside - out? Or other way around?
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #16
TAFC 5 1981
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Some QBs (at times) have trouble seeing everything develop. When Franks came in after Zaire went down; he was guilty of the same thing (and Franks is 6'5").
Old 11-14-2017, 05:52 PM   #17
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 250200
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Williamson actually went 99 on a slant against UGA back in the day
The longest one I personally remember....

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #18
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 250200
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:

The defender in his face screened off his view of Shi on that one.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #19
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Yea...looks that way. This was a well defended play.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #20
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 2010909
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Doesn't look that way. Looks like his head stays fixed to the right hand side. A little better vision and he sees Shi coming across the middle for a big gain. Rolling out and looking/passing back across or towards the middle is difficult but not impossible. That would have been a very difficult completion but most likely not an INT as it ended up.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote