CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kick_ball
MountainCock
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
2k15
Blitzkrieg
kingofnerf
smoovecock
SanAntonioCock
GoldenSpur7
2017 North South Shr (1075)
New Star Wars Traile (560)
The Eagles to perfor (213)
UVERSE TV and Intern (209)
Colonial Life (204)
Holiday memes, jokes (147)
The Most Satisfying (20)
2017 North South Shrine B
Georgia State University
Question regarding new OC
2018 Commitment - Bryce T
2018 - KJ Henry
Colonial Life
New Star Wars Trailer
2018 - Jovaughn Gwyn
2018 - Dylan Wonnum
Bentley Offensive Philoso

Old 12-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
cockylaw
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his comb
Default Question regarding new OC

Moving on from any discussion of our former OC.

Do we have the talent on offense to attract a high-caliber, external OC?

Some of our fans insist we do and usually back up their assertion by listing names. I think we have ok talent but very far from top-level, SEC talent. There were A LOT of plays there to be made this year that weren't made.

Just curious how any potential OC candidates would look at this job. Do we have the talent where they can step in and be immediately successful? If so, we should have a fairly easy time making a hire (provided we are willing to cough up the $). Will candidates view it as a rebuild where they have to stock up on talent? If so, that will likely limit our choices a bit.

Who do we have on offense that a potential OC would look at and say "I want to go there to work with THAT player."?
cockylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
Cockcapn
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 1150
Cockcapn has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Question regarding new OC

And what is our budget?
Cockcapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
cockylaw
Banned

Male

cockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his combcockylaw is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockcapn View Post
And what is our budget?
Yeah, I mention that as a caveat. It's a multi-faceted issue for sure. We may find it tough sledding, but maybe not. I'm not sure we have both the talent AND The budget to get a cream of the crop hire. Which means Champ will have to make a very smart hire.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I imagine we will pay around what Roper was making ($750K?). Maybe more if the candidate is worth it.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
cockylaw
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I imagine we will pay around what Roper was making ($750K?). Maybe more if the candidate is worth it.
That will certainly limit our options and send a signal we aren't ready to play big boy football. In my opinion.

That said, you can live like an absolute king in Columbia on that salary. And South Carolina ranks 42 in the country in total tax burden.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
spurfan93
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5200
spurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot material

I really think this job would be attractive to many OCs. We have a QB who has a lot of potential and will probably have two years. A lot of the talent on offense are freshman and sophmores so you know you can build your offense with guys who are going to be there a while. We have a good mix of size (Edwards, OrTre and Rico) and speed (Shi, AJ and Deebo).
Old 12-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
gamecock1119
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2800
gamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his combgamecock1119 is developing his comb

I'd like to see the department pay the new guy $1million+ (considering that we get a top OC)

We need to send a signal that we are ready to compete
gamecock1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 6000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Yes. Bentley can spin it. Any fool can see that. Deebo is life. Edwards is Julio Jr. 18 is Megatron's big brother. Shi is Steve Smith's daddy. TEs for days. Might need to upgrade TB is Rico can't get back on track with super froshie season.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPit

Quote:
Carolina is going to have to open the pocket book if they want to compete with the big boys.The smartest thing Clemson did was spend the money to hire and retain top coordinators.Look where they are now.Its the cost of doing business these days.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #10
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano Cook View Post
Carolina is going to have to open the pocket book if they want to compete with the big boys.The smartest thing Clemson did was spend the money to hire and retain top coordinators.Look where they are now.Its the cost of doing business these days.
I don't Jeff Scott or Tony Elliott are pulling $1M.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
cockylaw
Banned

Male

Quote:
I think Scott pulls in $800k. I believe we should at least try to match that.

One thing that has worked in Dabo's favor is that he's shown a knack for evaluating coaching talent and has made home run hires. Jeff Scott was an internal promotion and their offense exploded. We promoted internally with Ward and that was a flop.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #12
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101850400
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Yes. Bentley can spin it. Any fool can see that. Deebo is life. Edwards is Julio Jr. 18 is Megatron's big brother. Shi is Steve Smith's daddy. TEs for days. Might need to upgrade TB is Rico can't get back on track with super froshie season.
I think we have some good skill position guys but damn you are hitting the moonshine hard this morning.
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #13
SanAntonioCock
Underestimated

Male

CockyCash: 685761989700
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

I think we have the talent. I'm afraid some guys are going to shy away from working for Muschamp on the offensive side though.

🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓
SanAntonioCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #14
92Pony
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1674744
92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material

People are throwing around the $1mill figure...... Obviously we are just fans, but I don't want to throw $1mill at someone just so we can say we pay our OC $1mill. He must be WELL worth it. Now the question is, who out there is worth $1,000,000??
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #15
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Clemson's OC may not pull in the most, but Venables sure does. Our need is offense and we are going to have to pay for it imo.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #16
WayzUp
Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 592600
WayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot material

Troy Walters helped Scott Frost take UCF to #5 in the nation in total offense at over 540 ypg.

He's only making $350K if we want to go co-OC route again with he & McClendon. With Frost taking off for Nebraska, could be a good guy to consider.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #17
cockylaw
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
Clemson's OC may not pull in the most, but Venables sure does. Our need is offense and we are going to have to pay for it imo.
Good point. Clemson paid Venables b/c that was greatest need at the time. Offense is, by far, our greatest need. I think TRob's salary has to at least match the OC though. The D more or less did its job throughout the season, so paying an OC more money to come in and fix our offense would, in a sense, be penalizing TRob for not doing a bad job.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #18
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

And yes I believe we have the talent to be better than we currently are. We are young, but my one gripe was the inability to adapt to the talent of the players. If they don't know the routes change it up. Use more motion even if you're running some of the same plays. I dunno. I kind of feel bad for Roper because his system can work. It's just the in game play calling and lack of adjustments.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #19
cockylaw
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayzUp View Post
Troy Walters helped Scott Frost take UCF to #5 in the nation in total offense at over 540 ypg.

He's only making $350K if we want to go co-OC route again with he & McClendon. With Frost taking off for Nebraska, could be a good guy to consider.
Walter's is auditioning for the HC job there at UCF.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #20
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPit

Quote:
Venables does and Chad Morris did.Clemson may have to pony up to keep Elliott on board.Scott they probably would let leave over money.

I think there is no doubt that having top notch coordinators propelled Clemson to where they are today.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote