CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
COCKYWOOD
DJ35
AR1
Blitzkrieg
Ironfan
GeoCocky66
Spur's Addiction
JerseyBird
GregoryHouse
**GAME #3 USC (31-22 (7618)
2018 NCAA Softball T (987)
2016 NCAA Softball T (890)
2019-- Hunter Raybur (634)
Hosting as a 2 seed? (587)
Las Vegas residents (248)
2020 - Anthony Johns (212)
Bianca Cuevas Moorve will
Hosting as a 2 seed?
**GAME #3 USC (31-22) vs.
2016 NCAA Softball Tourna
2019 - Tra Wilkins
Josh Belk
Gamecocks back in collegi
Kingston vs. Muschamp Yea
2018 NCAA Softball Tourna
Hot Dogs: Nathan's or Heb

Old 02-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material
Default Cooking/Frying/Grilling Fish

I love to fry fish and grill certain types on my grill.

Catfish is one of my all time favorites to fry up and I see now where you can go and purchase "farm-raised-bream". I thought that bream and fish of that family were off-limits, but I guess that they are doing it now. I have not tried that out yet.

I also like to grill salmon and tuna, but most of the time it is salmon that I do as it is a lot easier to find and I love the way it taste.

What does the Gamecock Nation like to fry/grill or smoke in regards to fish as we do have a bunch of great cooks on this site.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
TastyLicks
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 99823679
TastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooking/Frying/Grilling Fish

I only like grilled or baked fish. I don't like to put breading on it and fry it like many do.

My problem is that I am not any good at grilling fish! I would say most of the time it gets burned too much on the bottom and not enough all the way through. and what results is a mess that falls apart and sometimes inedible at the bottom. Can someone help me? what I am doing wrong. I grill other meat all the time like a pro but for some reason I can't do fish.

oh and to the OP question. I love Salmon and Tilapia but Mahi Mahi is the best
TastyLicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyLicks View Post
I only like grilled or baked fish. I don't like to put breading on it and fry it like many do.

My problem is that I am not any good at grilling fish! I would say most of the time it gets burned too much on the bottom and not enough all the way through. and what results is a mess that falls apart and sometimes inedible at the bottom. Can someone help me? what I am doing wrong. I grill other meat all the time like a pro but for some reason I can't do fish.

You are right about the Mahi-Mahi, as it is so tasty and good. I do that sometimes when you can get it fresh.

When I grill fish, say something like salmon, I put mine in a little bit of olive oil and lemon juice and let it sit for a little while. Put it in another tin pan and then pour Italian Dressing on it and of course season it like you want too. I also put some aluminum foil on my grill and spray it down with something or put olive oil on it also and stick holes in the aluminum foil (all through it) to allow the heat to come up and cook the fish. Salmon does not take that long, usually 20 to 22 minutes at 400 degrees or a tad higher. The reason that I use aluminum foil versus a fish basket - is the fact that it is just easier to clean up afterwards and throw away. The fish basket is also a great tool, but then you have the clean-up with it. Good luck.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:

Tilapia is a filter of the ocean, don't eat that stuff...lol

This is how I do salmon and it works for me but is probably going to be wrong. I do it on cedar planks. On my grill I only turn on two the three burners and put the soaked plank over the unlit burner...I then cook it on that (so more like baking it on a grill). It woks every time and I pull it off once the fat is done rendering out (the white stuff that comes out). If you are having problem flipping fish, you can also use a fish basket but like was said, it is a PIA
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
Wybird
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 935000
Wybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudlyWybird is crowing loudly

Blackened redfish on a skillet, or lemon pepper sea trout pan seared. Of course the offshore fish (mahi,tuna) are delicious just don't get to go all the way out there much.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Not much of a fish fan, but beer battered and fried is the way to go for me.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
TastyLicks
2nd Team All-American

Female

TastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot materialTastyLicks is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
Tilapia is a filter of the ocean, don't eat that stuff...lol

This is how I do salmon and it works for me but is probably going to be wrong. I do it on cedar planks. On my grill I only turn on two the three burners and put the soaked plank over the unlit burner...I then cook it on that (so more like baking it on a grill). It woks every time and I pull it off once the fat is done rendering out (the white stuff that comes out). If you are having problem flipping fish, you can also use a fish basket but like was said, it is a PIA
thanks STS and dreammachine both. STS. how many times do you use the cedar plank before you have to replace it? sorry if that's a dumb question.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #8
TastyLicks
2nd Team All-American

Female

I had grouper one time in my life, on vacation in Mexico, and it knocked my socks off it was so good. I can't find it up here anywhere
Old 02-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
thanks STS and dreammachine both. STS. how many times do you use the cedar plank before you have to replace it? sorry if that's a dumb question.
no worries...you use it one time and then discard. You can get them at kitchen shops or someting like that...they are usually like a 1/4" thick. You soak them for a while before your use them and then once done you toss them. I think we get ours from Amazon. Ususally like a pack of 8 or 10. I just now how to start buying it so I am not 100% sure. My parents had a redwood deck on their house that my father and I replaced a few years back. We then took the boards that we took up and planed them to make grilling planks. It worked really well but I ran out and I doubt my mom would like me cutting up her deck for my convenience!

Something else I have not used but interested in trying is one of the salt blocks.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101850400
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

I don't really grill fish, but once I move to my new house and get a grill I will definitely try it.

I do love to bake fish though and salmon is my favorite type to make.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #11
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

Quote:
I had grouper one time in my life, on vacation in Mexico, and it knocked my socks off it was so good. I can't find it up here anywhere
I am surprised a seafood market would not carry grouper. It has been my experience that it is best to get nice thick fillets for grilling. I love it and it is one of my go to's beyond salmon. I do thick grouper staight on the grill. If you are worried about burining, use lower temps. I will sear it over direct heat and then try to cool indirectly away from direct heat. I would imagine that your store of choice can get it for your if need be. I don't know how others do it but I marinade it in italian dressing. Grouper is amazing! I agree 100%
Old 02-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #12
BringBackGarcia
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 3000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

In my opinion:

You should only fry catfish. Salt and pepper breading and hot sauce. I hate fish fry's with bream or the like. It's a pain to pick your fingers through bones for a bite of fish. Too much work for the taste.

I pan sear pretty much everything and finish in the oven. Hot castiron with butter or oil and drop the fish in skin side down. Has to be a thick, meaty or the flaking happens before the skin is crispy. I do salmon a lot this way and thick cut mahi or tuna steak (just a sear on tuna, don't finish in oven).

Any farm raised fish should make you nervous. It's disgusting. Tilipia fits into this category.

I love monkfish. Anytime it's on a menu, I order it. Ugly looking bastard but is delicious.

BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #13
TastyLicks
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
no worries...you use it one time and then discard. You can get them at kitchen shops or someting like that...they are usually like a 1/4" thick. You soak them for a while before your use them and then once done you toss them. I think we get ours from Amazon. Ususally like a pack of 8 or 10.

Something else I have not used but interested in trying is one of the salt blocks.
wow thank you! I have seen them at the store but I didn't realize they were something you only used once.

Thank you for saving me the embarrassment of trying it out for a dinner and then handwashing them afterwards. I'm sure that's something my loved ones would've taken a photo of and shared a laugh about
Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
TastyLicks
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
In my opinion:

You should only fry catfish. Salt and pepper breading and hot sauce. I hate fish fry's with bream or the like. It's a pain to pick your fingers through bones for a bite of fish. Too much work for the taste.

I pan sear pretty much everything and finish in the oven. Hot castiron with butter or oil and drop the fish in skin side down. Has to be a thick, meaty or the flaking happens before the skin is crispy. I do salmon a lot this way and thick cut mahi or tuna steak (just a sear on tuna, don't finish in oven).

Any farm raised fish should make you nervous. It's disgusting. Tilipia fits into this category.

I love monkfish. Anytime it's on a menu, I order it. Ugly looking bastard but is delicious.

that doesn't look very delicious lol
Old 02-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #15
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Guess another quote about judging a book by it's cover. It's not how you look on the outside, but how you taste on the inside.~Hannibal Lector~
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #16
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
In my opinion:

Or cod for a nice fish and chips!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #17
BringBackGarcia
4-Star

Male

BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:

This probably is a bit better. It's a really thick and meaty fish. Holds up really well. I've never cooked it myself, though. From what I've read, it's cooked more closely to filet and grilled or braised. I'm afraid I'll overcook and have a piece of rubber.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #18
BringBackGarcia
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Or cod for a nice fish and chips!
This is 'Merica.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #19
TastyLicks
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:

This probably is a bit better. It's a really thick and meaty fish. Holds up really well. I've never cooked it myself, though. From what I've read, it's cooked more closely to filet and grilled or braised. I'm afraid I'll overcook and have a piece of rubber.
wow. that looks alot better haha
Old 02-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #20
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
This is 'Merica.
... where there are a lot of great places to get fish and chips.