CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
carolina_corpsman
thekob
Captain9Dragons
Canefaninsc
gotrice?
pitchcock
CockNJersey
TastyLicks
etowngangsta
Spurrier's take on C (1123)
CFB Film Room Drop R (1056)
what happened to Fra (419)
Nick Bosa (411)
Dowdle vs Williams (0)
Dowdle vs Williams
WTF??? Food Edition
SEC teams mid-season repo
CFB Film Room Drop Rates
Nick Bosa
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
what happened to Frankís
Spurrier's take on Coordi
One Thing We Can All Agre
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi

Old 10-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 850000
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material
Default had deer meat for the first time

in 49 years of life last weekend. nobody has ever offered me any and i never asked anyone to try.

i had something called 'BackStraps"..i think thats why my nephew said. He used worcestershire and creole spices and wrapped them in bacon.

i must admit that was incredibly good. i was shocked.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 26147483647
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material
Default Re: had deer meat for the first time

Congrats! I've eaten venison essentially my whole life. It's quite good and even when dealing with very lean product it can be rendered in such a way to make it palatable to people who might avoid "gamey" meat.

Backstrap is tenderloin, BTW. Good stuff.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 1825498
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Congrats! I've eaten venison essentially my whole life. It's quite good and even when dealing with very lean product it can be rendered in such a way to make it palatable to people who might avoid "gamey" meat.

Backstrap is tenderloin, BTW. Good stuff.

Backstrap isn't tenderloin but it is close. Both are the best cuts from a deer for grilling in my opinion. Seasoned and marinated tenderloin cuts, wrapped in bacon and grilled are very hard to beat. We eat deer in my house at a min 2-3 times per month, sometimes more often. Burgers, roasts, cubed steak, sausage. All good if seasoned and cooked properly.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #4
ccured
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 25200
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Deer cubed steak is the best
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
darthtripous
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 505
darthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot material

I grew up eating venison, and my family eats it today. I was always told the back strap was the “hunter’s cut” because historical when the hunters went out and made a kill they’d process the animal and eat the strap there. Partly because of hunger and partly because it’s the best damn part of any animal. If you go to fancy restaurants that serve venison that’s the part they serve. I love the gamey taste. To me it’s the way meat is supposed to taste.

On a side note, my cousin’s son has been fighting leukemia. He’s only like two. Her whole family is very hippie and they have only fed him organic everything. After I filled my freezer for my family I was able to take one more deer and give it to her. The venison from that buck is the only meat her son has ever been able to eat and keep down. He’s thrown up every other meat he’s ever eaten.
darthtripous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
ccured
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 25200
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

I have a question about backstrap because backstrap to me has always been what would be the NY strip part opposite the tenderloin on the backbone

However I've had people recently insist it's the fat end of the tenderloin before you get to the smaller filet end. I think they have been getting shafted by a butcher on pricing
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 850000
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Everyone ive talked to, who i know hunts, will say "youve never had deer meat"??!!!! Like im nuts.

When i say "no" you would think someone would say "hey try this", or "you gotta come to my bbq"...Not one single person has ever offered except my nephew..Got me to thinking that hunters may be a bit selfish about what they kill.

i also realize now that all the people i know who tell me what im missing and what they do with thier meat, wether it be in gravy, stew, steaks or whatever are all hunters. they are really excited to tell me what they do but never offer. i just find it interesting.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #8
Rooster'srule
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 985410
Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

I like eating Bambi too
Rooster'srule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
darthtripous
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 505
darthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot materialdarthtripous is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I have a question about backstrap because backstrap to me has always been what would be the NY strip part opposite the tenderloin on the backbone

However I've had people recently insist it's the fat end of the tenderloin before you get to the smaller filet end. I think they have been getting shafted by a butcher on pricing
You canít get fresh venison from a butcher in the US as itís not regulated. Anything you get from a commercial butcher normally comes from New Zealand. When I harvest a deer a take it to a processor who cuts it up for me. Normal, I think, they take all the meat from between the shoulder blades down the spine and just call it back strap.
darthtripous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
markymark550
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 14000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Venison is delicious. Really love deer jerky.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #11
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
Backstrap isn't tenderloin but it is close. Both are the best cuts from a deer for grilling in my opinion. Seasoned and marinated tenderloin cuts, wrapped in bacon and grilled are very hard to beat. We eat deer in my house at a min 2-3 times per month, sometimes more often. Burgers, roasts, cubed steak, sausage. All good if seasoned and cooked properly.
Ah, thanks for the correction. They are tayum good, though.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #12
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 1825498
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Ah, thanks for the correction. They are tayum good, though.

Didn't mean to be that guy if it came across that way. Many folks call them both "loins" which technically may be correct. As I know it, backstrap is outside the back and tenderloin inside the spine. There are other such diagrams below where other parts are labeled differently. I guess depends on the one processing the meats. We always cut the backtraps out 'hole' and cook them that way. Tenderloins are cut out whole but cut after marinating them into smaller steaks or medallions.

gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #13
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

All good!

Come on over to Bentley vs Scarnecchia to see "that guy" in multiple forms. Lots of football gurus and savants there.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #14
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Backstrap is the long strip along the spine. Tenderloin is actually smaller and inside the abdominal cavity under the spine, harder to get out but it is worth it as meat is actually better.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #15
Master Bedroom
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Deer cubed steak is the best
I had this once when I was younger and liked it. I had an awful experience with 'deer chili' and have not been able to eat it since
Master Bedroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #16
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

I've never cooked venison but I've got a buddy who makes a mean stuffed backstrap wrapped in bacon. It's a great fall/winter time meal and pairs well with Northern and Southern Rhone wines.
gamecockphan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #17
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

my roomate in school used to grill back strap wrapped in bacon with a slice of fresh jalapeno on top...it was phenomenal
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #18
FurmanCock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5250
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

Be careful of deer meat right now...apparently there is a bad case of bovine tuberculosis affecting deer. Right now it appears to be limited to Michigan deer: https://newschannel9.com/news/nation...ulosis-in-deer
FurmanCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #19
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 203960507
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

the sausage is good too
Old 10-10-2018, 11:09 PM   #20
CockRoche
ADIDAS

Male

CockyCash: 50600
CockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot material

I prefer beef except for the cubed steak and oh my god the jerky. Cube steak dip in mustard then breaded and pan fried and also my homemade jerky. Just go one back from the processor today so it won't be long.