CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ba55nec4r
PFW79
TaySC
Blackland
USCBaseball
gamecock88
The Yancey
catdaddy66
Luke Skycocker
GAMEKEM
Thoughts on Freshmen (1957)
Predictions: South C (1891)
**USC (2-2) vs. Geor (921)
**USC Women (2-0) vs (621)
BCM and her final ye (488)
No Man Has Made a Gu (368)
USC's Tight Ends (225)
Crawl space issues (199)
Ruin Thanksgiving in (195)
The 2018 Gamecocks a (129)
2019 - Dequan Watts - UCF
2019 - Jaydon Hill - Flor
The 2018 Gamecocks are av
Red Dead Redemption II
**USC Women (2-0) vs. Mar
**USC (2-2) vs. George Wa
Predictions: South Caroli
Tigers by 25
What's for dinner tonight
Week 12: Around College F

Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 PM   #1
ba55nec4r
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
ba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot material
Default Shi Smith Hypothetical

So let's say Shi gets some snaps on D this week and flies around well, tackles well and just flat out makes plays on the ball.

Has he done enough to be a full time WR or do you think there's a chance he could move to S full time with a good enough performance?
ba55nec4r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:17 PM   #2
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

CockyCash: 3000
rt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Shi Smith Hypothetical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba55nec4r View Post
So let's say Shi gets some snaps on D this week and flies around well, tackles well and just flat out makes plays on the ball.

Has he done enough to be a full time WR or do you think there's a chance he could move to S full time with a good enough performance?
No way we switch Shi to D. He’s a proven sure handed receiver, would be foolish to do that.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
AndersonCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba55nec4r View Post

If he balls out then yeah, he should remain a safety for the remainder of the season but I also think his hands are too good not to have him playing offense and I think he will only play defense in an emergency situation. Personally if I were Joyner I wouldn’t mind filling in at safety at least I’m on the field but whatever
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:25 PM   #4
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101850400
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Shi needs to stay at WR. He is a good offensive weapon.
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:39 PM   #5
evilpoptart
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 950309
evilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to evilpoptart

I wish he would get more targets are wr. He's our next star.
evilpoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #6
Garnet&BlackOp
Provacateur

Male

CockyCash: 420
Garnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
No way we switch Shi to D. He’s a proven sure handed receiver, would be foolish to do that.
Yeah, he's sure-footed, with good football speed, is exciting to watch. He's had some big drops this year, though. Needs to get a little more sure-handed.

This is a stop-gap in a bad situation. Shi belongs at WR. We need more talent and depth at S from recruiting.
Garnet&BlackOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:29 AM   #7
Cocky2001
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5400
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Shi belongs at WR, but why not use him on third downs or in obvious passing situations? I know we all think that it is one or the other with D and O but desperate times call for desperate measures.

If nothing else, it might broaden his appeal down the road...
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:51 AM   #8
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119154183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Yep, I can't imagine that Shi would get snaps at DB over others who were recruited for the position, and have time practicing and learning the schemes at the position during this season, off-season, and past seasons.

Horn - CB, N
Nixon - CB, N
Roderick - S
Fenton - CB
Montac - S
Mukuamu - CB
Dickerson - S
Brown - S
Gipson - S

If we can't find a rotation of 4-5 guys out of that group that we need to move WRs over, then we're in trouble....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:22 AM   #9
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Yep, I can't imagine that Shi would get snaps at DB over others who were recruited for the position, and have time practicing and learning the schemes at the position during this season, off-season, and past seasons.

Horn - CB, N
Nixon - CB, N
Roderick - S
Fenton - CB
Montac - S
Mukuamu - CB
Dickerson - S
Brown - S
Gipson - S

If we can't find a rotation of 4-5 guys out of that group that we need to move WRs over, then we're in trouble....
Here's the problem, you need to take Brown out of the mix he's at LB and has been for a while. That leaves us with 3 safeties and basically zero depth. If we suffer an injury Fenton may be in line to get some snaps at safety which leaves us with Nixon, Horn, and Mukuamu at CB. If any of them need to get spelled or suffer an injury that's where Smith comes in. He's like an emergency reserve, if we stay healthy he won't get PT there but we're 1-2 injuries away from needing him to step in and take some snaps. We're dangerously thin in the defensive backfield at the moment.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #10
Blackland
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4200
Blackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot material

It probably would not work since he has not practiced at the position, better to leave him where he has been playing at this point. I guess we need to recruit more DB's, they drop like fly's during the season. I think we lost three in the last game alone.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #11
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

like gotrice? just mentioned theyre mentally preparing him for corner in an emergency and not safety. theres zero chance he gets moved to defense full time unless once again its an emergency situation because noone can match his speed on offense. they feel he has the speed, skill, and background at the position to give us some snaps at corner in a pinch.

we went into this season not including players who got moved out of the secondary with 12 eligible scholarship db's on the roster. not including injured players we've currently got 8 scholarship db's available to play. next season we're probably returning 8 db's from the current roster. not that i have an idea of exactly how many db's muschamp wants on the roster at a given time, but i imagine muschamp will want to fill out the roster with at least 3-4 newcomers.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #12
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29698000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
Shi belongs at WR, but why not use him on third downs or in obvious passing situations? I know we all think that it is one or the other with D and O but desperate times call for desperate measures.

If nothing else, it might broaden his appeal down the road...
I'd think we have to be absolutely desperate to put him at S.

Last time he played DB was HS. I don't think he faced many SEC quality WR's, TE's, and RB's at Union HS. He may still have instincts, but the game is a lot faster and more physical here. OC's would target him immediately if they saw him enter the game. It's a credit to him that the staff thinks he has the ability in a pinch to switch, but I hope it doesn't come down to reality.

But...it could work. I remember when Lou switched Corey Jenkins to LB late in the season, dude wound up spending some time in the NFL.

Biggest question to me, is what do we do with Jam? He's now had a couple of shoulder injuries, do we move him to offense next year?
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote