CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
taylorssc
Spur's Addiction
TaySC
etowngangsta
SheckWes
rt3891
wildwes
TastyLicks
TAFC 5 1981
Facilities (1708)
Getting Paid. (1350)
Muschamp: the anti- (1066)
2020 Charlie Spegal (875)
Didn't catch the lat (466)
Hey Y'all...Penny Ma (271)
Football staff raise (218)
2020 Warm / Warmer / (186)
2020 - Deidrick Stan (161)
Dinosaur footprints (146)
Facilities
2019 - Jashawn Sheffield
Vote for Hilinski
100 DAYS!!!
2019 Warm / Warmer / Favo
2019 - Reddy Steward
2019 - Samuel Brooks - Mi
2020 - Deidrick Stanley
2019 - Tyron Hopper - Flo
2019 - John Dixon

Old 12-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material
Default USA Today Article about Asst Coach Salaries

Interesting article about the soaring salaries of asst. coaches.

Two things stand out and it likely impacts the potential hiring away of any of our coaches.
  • It impacts how many asst coaches are willing to jump at HC jobs due to the pay.
  • It also holds asst coaches in place due to the lucrative pay and guarantees.
Travaris is listed at one of the asst coaches making over $1 mil/yr.
Quote:
ďA lot of people wanted to be head coaches because the money was so significantly different, but itís not any more,Ē said Chad Chatlos

Fueled by an explosion in the cost of hiring and retaining top-level assistants, however, the economics of grooming the next generation of head coaches has been turned on its head in less than a decade.

Whereas only five assistants in the country were making $1 million or more five years ago, that number has now exploded to 21 in the latest USA TODAY Sports college coaching salary survey, with seven of those making at least $1.5 million.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...es/2206867002/
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 873262
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material
Default Re: USA Today Article about Asst Coach Salaries

IMO it will definitely impact some coaches that may now be content to remain as solid assistant coaches.

Brent Venables, for instance, is making $1.7M. Why take the risk and the added stress to go to a mid-level head coaching gig where he has to prove himself and still probably only makes $2M-$3M? Sure, if he did well he could get a major head coaching gig after a few seasons and make $5M+, but is it worth the added headaches and the risk?

Urban Meyer should have remained an assistant. While he is a great game day coach, I imagine with the much lower stress levels of being an assistant that he wouldn't have to quit every 4-5 years, like he currently is.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
BringBackGarcia
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

A couple of thoughts:

1. The gap between the Power 5 is widening. When you can't even hire assistant coaches away that have talent to be a head coach of a mid major, what does that leave you with? A few diamonds in the rough that'll move on quickly? Just drop divisions, give them a new trophy, and allow Power 5 programs to pay their players.

2. That also hurts with Power 5 head coaching searches. Do you pay the cash to get a Smart or Muschamp pre Florida without knowing how they will do as the man? Do you hire a midmajor coach that has little Power 5 experience who maybe making less than your OC?

3. Head coaching has changed. I call it the Dabo model. Early on he recognized the CEO model and how successful it could be. Hire the right assistants. Pay them to retain for 5 years or more. Focus on your brand and managing.

4. I don't like coaches content to be assistants. Just rubs me the wrong way.

5. There's a difference between 1.5 million and 4 million per year. And at some point, you've got to wonder why would you pay for your head coach? If the OC/DC are that valuable, is the head coach worth twice as much? I'm not sure.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
TaySC
Household Name

Male

TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Just wanted to give my thoughts on some of your points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
A couple of thoughts:

1. The gap between the Power 5 is widening. When you can't even hire assistant coaches away that have talent to be a head coach of a mid major, what does that leave you with? A few diamonds in the rough that'll move on quickly? Just drop divisions, give them a new trophy, and allow Power 5 programs to pay their players.

The gap between the have's and the have not's is definitely widening. If you aren't in that group of maybe 10-12 "name programs", then you have an even higher mountain to climb than previously.

Clemson made it to near the top of the mountain just in time. A few more years of losing to USC, they likely fire Dabo and nne of this would have happened for them, thus leaving them on the outside with USC and the other 95% of college football.

I love the idea of dropping divisions and just the top 2 SEC teams playing for the SECCG and I have no issue with paying players SOME, but I'm not onboard with this really becoming the minors for the NFL. If that's what they want to do, then actually start a minor league that kids straight out of High School can go to and leave college football as student-athletes.

Quote:
2. That also hurts with Power 5 head coaching searches. Do you pay the cash to get a Smart or Muschamp pre Florida without knowing how they will do as the man? Do you hire a midmajor coach that has little Power 5 experience who maybe making less than your OC?

It's always a gamble hiring a head coach unless you are among those 10-12 elite, name programs. Pretty much everyone else either fights for the leftovers that failed elsewhere OR they gamble on some young gun and pray that he is the diamond in the rough.

Quote:

3. Head coaching has changed. I call it the Dabo model. Early on he recognized the CEO model and how successful it could be. Hire the right assistants. Pay them to retain for 5 years or more. Focus on your brand and managing.

Dabo was definitely ahead of his time and has changed the game of coaching in several ways. I'm not a Dabo fan, but you have to give credit where credit is due.

The focusing on the brand was also huge IMO.

Quote:

4. I don't like coaches content to be assistants. Just rubs me the wrong way.

I get what you're saying, but I like the people that realize that they don't want the headache of going all the way to the top. If Venables, for instance, realizes that he doesn't want the headaches of being the top dog, then I think it is honorable that he stays in the secure job he has, making a great living.

Quote:

5. There's a difference between 1.5 million and 4 million per year. And at some point, you've got to wonder why would you pay for your head coach? If the OC/DC are that valuable, is the head coach worth twice as much? I'm not sure.

Whether we are talking Fortune 500 Companies, a local restaurant or Dollar general, there is always going to be a CEO at the top that is held accountable if things go wrong. That CEO will always be the one that gets the blame when things go south and he/she will always be the one with the fattest paycheck.

While there is a difference between $1.5M and $4M, how many of us wouldn't be happy living off of $1.5M per year? I just think life is about more than money and I would be tickled pink making $1.5M and wouldn't feel the need to be greedy for $4M if it came with a lot of extra risks and headaches.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #5
BringBackGarcia
Two Deep

Male

BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Good points.

The money, though, is the problem. I've been really fortunate in my career and have over a decade had a substantial increase in pay. And unfortunately, it's always the next thing. Meaning, once you get the next bonus or whatever then things will be easier. There's always something else. It sucks and I know it's a mindtrap, but at a certain point where you've got your basic needs meet without concern and can pay your bills and still save, then there's something else and something else. You've got your 401k solid? How about your other investments? Want to take a better vacation? Bigger yard? The keeping up with the Jones's thing.

I say that for the coaches. Let's say T Rob and McClendon continue to be solid. Get raises. Then we've got two coordinators making 2 million each. How much should we pay Muschamp? If T Rob and McClendon are really worth that much, do you really need to pay Muschamp 3x their salaries? 4x? If Muschamp left but you could keep the coordinators is that a big deal?

If I were an AD, I'd take on a heavy bonus structure model. The assistants get paid and have some incentives. The HC salary is lower than you may think, but there are multiple layers of achievable bonuses. And substantial for that matter.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #6
TaySC
Household Name

Male

The "keeping up with the Jones's" thing I've just never understand, but then again, I've never been rich, so maybe that's why I'm on the outside looking in. I went from 10 years military to 20 years in Federal Law Enforcement and am about to retire. I can live comfortably (especially in SC), but I'm certainly never going to be rich.

All I can say on that is that I was always taught not to live above your means. I was also taught when you get a raise, keep the same standard of living and just save more.

Back to the football part....

I definitely think an AD like Tanner could talk with Muschamp and tell him that if he wants to keep these assistants around, then he needs to close the gap some between the HC salary and theirs. You would think that if a head coach doesn't have a huge ego, that he would be fine as long as he made more than they do. So I wouldn't see a problem with the 2 coordinators combined making as much as the head coach or even maybe a tad more. I agree with you that it shouldn't have to be the head coach makes 4 or 5x what his coordinators do. That's what made all good coordinators want to become head coaches to start with IMO.

The one thing I wish AD's would get away from in these contracts is agreeing to these huge buyouts. I'd rather us pay a head coach $1M more per year and have a small buyout, than to pay them a tad less and have some crazy buyout like programs have gone to. It's crazy to me that some programs are still paying not just one, but two or even three fired coaches still. No wonder some can't upgrade facilities or pay to get a great head coach.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

One interesting thing I noticed is that all but one of the top 10 highest paid assistant coaches were defensive coaches, and the lone offensive coach was #9.

According to their list, offensive coaches only make up 5 of the top 21 highest paid assistant coaches. I wonder why that might be....
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
SheckWes
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
SheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPit

Would you call Muschamp a CEO type?
Old 12-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post
Would you call Muschamp a CEO type?
Nope....

Old 12-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #10
BringBackGarcia
Two Deep

Male

I've never understood the buyout either.

I'm sure smarter mathletes have run the numbers, but it seems to me I'd rather have a low buyout and, if the coach is a baller, get into a bidding war with another school to keep him than have a buyout that theoretically will keep other schools from taking him (which most of the time is just a negotiating point to help school A cover their losses and pay the next coach).

It seems to me there are a lot more UT and Auburn situations that end up screwing you over than Clemson clinging to Dabo for life.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #11
SheckWes
Blue Chip

Male

SheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Nope....

So thatís why I ask.
I donít know much about coaching.
But does TRob call the defense?
Old 12-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #12
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post
So thatís why I ask.
I donít know much about coaching.
But does TRob call the defense?
I'm just messin' with you. I'm sure there are others that can elaborate more on your question.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #13
SheckWes
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
I'm just messin' with you. I'm sure there are others that can elaborate more on your question.
I mean if we are paying TRob that much you assume heís calling plays right?
Does Saban call them?
Or is he just lead recruiter and CEO?
Old 12-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #14
TaySC
Household Name

Male

I see on here a lot of speculation during games claiming this is Muschamp's defense, so that leads you to believe that he is doing a lot of the work, but I really don't know if that is true or just fans wanting to blame him.

When I think of true CEO type coaches, I think of like Bobby Bowden and JoePa in their latter years where the general belief was that they weren't doing much at all other than being the face of the program.