CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NAGamec0ckFan
kingofnerf
The Yancey
Captain9Dragons
Spurticus
Rooster'srule
Spur's Addiction
Senior Rooster
GregoryHouse
TKE226
Uniforms vs Clemson (2282)
South Carolina (991)
Mike Leach on CFP (790)
GameDay Kickoff: The (507)
This Egg Bowl might (369)
FCC to end net neutr (333)
Tailgating with dogs (243)
Do you feel awkward (225)
Star Wars game day t (177)
HAPPY TURKEY DAY MY (172)
New Smart TV
2018 Commitment - Dakereo
NFL: GIANTS @ REDSKINS Th
2018 - Dorian Gerald
NCAAF: VIRGINIA TECH @ VI
South Carolina
Uniforms vs Clemson
24 in the CFP rankings
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Can we run the ball?

Old 11-13-2017, 02:15 AM   #101
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 WBB - Olivia Nelson-Ododa - PF/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuyoika View Post
I get what you're saying but ONO isn't really even comparable to Wilson. I don't think she will end up being anywhere near Wilson level elite. I see her as being quite good over her 4 years but not dominant is any sort of way. I think the closest player in this class that could get anywhere near the type of post play production of Wilson would have been Charli Collier. ONO's style is very different than the typical uber physical South Carolina post (the kind of posts that excel in the SEC brand of basketball). Her style of play is why I see her going to Duke.
She may not ever be Wilson level but she is like a taller Herbet-Harrigan. She can shoot, has good length, good fundamentals, and runs the floor well. Grissette and Williams are really physical, but they are not good at putting the ball in the basket, they have very poor touch. Maybe Saxton is better in that area, but she will be a freshman. Nelson-Ododa has good touch when she she shoots.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:19 AM   #102
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645373229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
I'm not sure if we're a top 20 team next year if we don't get Olivia.
I disagree; we have Destanni and Victaria coming in and Tea becoming eligible; I can remember when we would be doing cartwheels for 3 top 50 players coming in to play. Don'e forget about Ty, Kiki, Alexis, Lele, LaDazhia, Bianca, Doniyah and whatever graduate transfers come in. Sometimes I think we have the most negative fanbase in the country.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:35 AM   #103
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I disagree; we have Destanni and Victaria coming in and Tea becoming eligible; I can remember when we would be doing cartwheels for 3 top 50 players coming in to play. Don'e forget about Ty, Kiki, Alexis, Lele, LaDazhia, Bianca, Doniyah and whatever graduate transfers come in. Sometimes I think we have the most negative fanbase in the country.
No one said we don't have good players, but we we are still not recruiting at the elite level like a lot of our competition is. And we seem to lose as many players lately as we get in. They don't all pan out. This isn't enough to compete for championships. Half court offense without Aja is going to be a problem next year. Just you see.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:55 AM   #104
Ahmad
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 718660653
Ahmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot material

How are people counting out LeLe and LaDazhia after 1 game?
Ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:05 AM   #105
DorchesterGamecock
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
Lol the same people that said we shouldn't be excited about Te'a Cooper haha.. ignore it.

Herbert Harrigan was RAW when she first got to SC and now there are whispers of her having an All-SEC caliber year as a sophomore. Dawn develops her players and both Grissett and Williams will get better, remember that.

Williams is a proven scorer and Grissett has the frame and athleticism to be a physical punisher at the PF spot for us. Plus she can handle the ball better than most forwards... both will get better. Our fans should know by now that it takes a while for high school to transfer to college.

Bianca Jackson looks the best right now, but she's mostly playing off of instinct because she has an incredibly high basketball I.Q. (daughter of coaches).. she will get better as well once she fully grasps our style of play. You can see the gifts she already possesses on the defensive end.

People quickly forgot how lost Herbert Harrigan looked on the defensive end for most of last year.. or how she almost never ran back up the floor in transition and always seemed lost or a step slower on offense. Players get better under Staley.
DorchesterGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:42 AM   #106
Ahmad
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Ahmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorchesterGamecock View Post
Lol the same people that said we shouldn't be excited about Te'a Cooper haha.. ignore it.

Herbert Harrigan was RAW when she first got to SC and now there are whispers of her having an All-SEC caliber year as a sophomore. Dawn develops her players and both Grissett and Williams will get better, remember that.

Williams is a proven scorer and Grissett has the frame and athleticism to be a physical punisher at the PF spot for us. Plus she can handle the ball better than most forwards... both will get better. Our fans should know by now that it takes a while for high school to transfer to college.

Bianca Jackson looks the best right now, but she's mostly playing off of instinct because she has an incredibly high basketball I.Q. (daughter of coaches).. she will get better as well once she fully grasps our style of play. You can see the gifts she already possesses on the defensive end.

People quickly forgot how lost Herbert Harrigan looked on the defensive end for most of last year.. or how she almost never ran back up the floor in transition and always seemed lost or a step slower on offense. Players get better under Staley.
I agree. Over the years we've seen a bunch of our players grow before our eyes. Dawn's not afraid to let the fresh get their feet wet unlike some other coaches.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:47 AM   #107
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
No one said we don't have good players, but we we are still not recruiting at the elite level like a lot of our competition is. And we seem to lose as many players lately as we get in. They don't all pan out. This isn't enough to compete for championships. Half court offense without Aja is going to be a problem next year. Just you see.
But you didn't say compete for championships, you said a top 20 team. USC was a top 10 team in 2013-14 with no more than five 4* players on the roster. Won the SEC regular-season championship that season, and was a #1 seed (although we didn't deserve it). Cockhornleghorn was talking about the seven 5* players that will be on the roster next season. We only had six 5* players on the roster last year - and won it all. Yes, you're very negative as well as a good bit delusional....
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #108
sporkgod50
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Some of the fan base is unreasonable certainly. You watch the football game threads and the same people who think we should give roper a raise after an 80 yard td drive want him fired the next series if we punt. Spurrier was the savior then chopped liver. Champ the worst hire then needing a raise. I could go on all day with examples but thankfully we don't have players or coaches that are dumb, so us reasonable fans can enjoy what has been any all around great last 10 years of gamecock sports

Le Olive de Sudan!
sporkgod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #109
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11967
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
But you didn't say compete for championships, you said a top 20 team. USC was a top 10 team in 2013-14 with no more than five 4* players on the roster. Won the SEC regular-season championship that season, and was a #1 seed (although we didn't deserve it). Cockhornleghorn was talking about the seven 5* players that will be on the roster next season. We only had six 5* players on the roster last year - and won it all. Yes, you're very negative as well as a good bit delusional....
Good one, Conway. We got the #1 PG in the country and a quality inside player in Saxton - in a year where we "did not recruit well"? And were in the final 2 for the #1 rated players? And are in the final group for the top-rated Center? Plus have another highly-rated player coming via transfer, either for this year or next?

I don't see us signing a top-rated class in the near future, simply because our roster is already stacked and we can't offer immediate PT. It also does not help that our state in is a dry spell now - it is not often that the #1 player in the country is coming out of Columbia, like with A'ja.

We will get 5* players at key positions, and fill in any holes with grad students that keep the experience level high. Frank is doing something similar with the Men.

Our coaches are not building, it has already been built. They just need to maintain and tweak.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #110
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645373229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
The same ones that said the men would only win 10 games this season.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #111
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
JDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuyoika View Post
I get what you're saying but ONO isn't really even comparable to Wilson. I don't think she will end up being anywhere near Wilson level elite. I see her as being quite good over her 4 years but not dominant is any sort of way. I think the closest player in this class that could get anywhere near the type of post play production of Wilson would have been Charli Collier. ONO's style is very different than the typical uber physical South Carolina post (the kind of posts that excel in the SEC brand of basketball). Her style of play is why I see her going to Duke.
Trust me, I'm not comparing ONO's game and talent level to A'ja's. I wouldn't put that on her or anyone as that's some huge shoes to fill. I'm only concerned with the team maintaining a level in talent and not having any huge drop offs that prohibit them from being one of the elite squads in WCBB. As for ONO's style of play, Dawn and her staff are quite good at adapting to the styles and strengths of their players so I have no doubts Olivia would thrive playing for the Gamecocks.
JDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #112
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
The player rankings don't me anything to me. I look at the players specifically and these players aren't those players. Some players deserve their good ranking, some don't, some deserve better rankings. We've had 4 and 5 star players leave because they just weren't that good. I see a team that is going to have a lack of scorers next year. I doesn't mean we are going to stop recruiting, but we will have a least one down year where we will struggle as like a second or third place SEC team, team ranked in the 20s. If we get Olivia I don't think we struggle near as much. I don't think that is being to negative. To think we won't take a step back after losing so much talent and struggling on the recruiting trail is just naive as hell. We don't know what we will be able to get in the transfer market, if they aren't graduated seniors they will need to sit out their first year. That doesn't help us in the short term. Recruiting should pick up, and we will bounce back. But the down year in recruiting will have an impact. That is all I am saying.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #113
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Game 2 now, I will think better of them when don't don't badly miss free throws and point blank layups at virtually every opportunity. They don't shoot, they throw the ball in the general direction of the basket. Which is why we need a big that actually can score.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #114
USCharleston2
Veteran

Male

CockyCash: 450
USCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Game 2 now, I will think better of them when don't don't badly miss free throws and point blank layups at virtually every opportunity. They don't shoot, they throw the ball in the general direction of the basket. Which is why we need a big that actually can score.
Maybe the game's too fast for them at this point. Big stage, bright lights, cameras, lots of people, and playing against players better than those you played against only a few months ago...
USCharleston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #115
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11967
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
The player rankings don't me anything to me. I look at the players specifically and these players aren't those players. Some players deserve their good ranking, some don't, some deserve better rankings. We've had 4 and 5 star players leave because they just weren't that good. I see a team that is going to have a lack of scorers next year. I doesn't mean we are going to stop recruiting, but we will have a least one down year where we will struggle as like a second or third place SEC team, team ranked in the 20s. If we get Olivia I don't think we struggle near as much. I don't think that is being to negative. To think we won't take a step back after losing so much talent and struggling on the recruiting trail is just naive as hell. We don't know what we will be able to get in the transfer market, if they aren't graduated seniors they will need to sit out their first year. That doesn't help us in the short term. Recruiting should pick up, and we will bounce back. But the down year in recruiting will have an impact. That is all I am saying.
What people are saying is that recruiting is not falling off. We picked up Alexis Jennings and Spann for this year, two solid starters, and Jennings has another year of eligibility. Te'a Cooper may or may not be eligible this year - if she is not, then I guess she goes into next year's class as another potential starter. Then we have the #1 PG in Destanni plus a strong Forward prospect in Saxton.

Bottom line is that we are doing what is needed to stay on top if we get ONO. We may have the best Guard rotation in the country for next year with Harris, Te'a Cooper, Bianca Jackson and Destanni. Then Jennings, Kiki, Lele, Ladazhia, Cliney, Saxton and (hopefully) ONO inside.

If we miss on ONO, then we go to the graduate transfer market for a talented big. As the defending champs, with the best support in the country and a super backcourt, we would be the top destination for any Center type looking for immediate success.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #116
Ahmad
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Aleighsa Welch didn't exactly set the world on fire in her first few games. They have the luxury this year to improve while A'ja, KiKi and Jennings carrying the load. We don't know how these two will develop but two games is not a big enough sample size imho.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #117
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106487138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Do we know what time she's announcing tomorrow?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #118
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

JDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPit

A time has yet been given.

EDIT: See next post.

Last edited by JDuro; 11-14-2017 at 10:52 PM..
Old 11-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #119
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

Olivia’s signing ceremony will be at 1:00 tomorrow and streamed at this site:

http://esenetworks.com/live-events.aspx?id=4566
Old 11-15-2017, 02:20 AM   #120
meesh982000
Blue Chip

Female

CockyCash: 500
meesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talons

https://instagram.com/p/BbgCf8pH8dq/
“Don’t miss the wave ⏳”
meesh982000 is offline   Reply With Quote