CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NAGamec0ckFan
kingofnerf
TKE226
Captain9Dragons
AR1
Spur's Addiction
The Yancey
Senior Rooster
GregoryHouse
SterlingBrooks
Can we run the ball? (2122)
Congratulations (1533)
Uniforms vs Clemson (1383)
South Carolina (621)
Mike Leach on CFP (553)
This Egg Bowl might (265)
GameDay Kickoff: The (258)
FCC to end net neutr (179)
PODCAST: Clemson Wee (173)
Tailgating with dogs (157)
Can we run the ball?
Mike Leach on CFP
2018 Commitment - Dakereo
Clemson opponents avg rec
Will USC Score >21 vs
South Carolina
Uniforms vs Clemson
2018 - Dorian Gerald
Star Wars game day themes
Coaching carousel: 2017-1

Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 6200
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material
Default Finally a great, in depth Gamecock preview

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/am...chedule-roster

Loved the stats that it got into later in the article.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Wisercock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Finally a great, in depth Gamecock preview

I keep reading these pundits who say that Bentley skipped a year and graduated early from high school. While that is technically true, the implication that he was playing college ball as a 17 year old is entirely false. He was held back a year so he simply made that year up in the classroom and graduated with his peers at age 18.

He will turn 20 years old this November.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
evilpoptart
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5028
evilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot materialevilpoptart is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to evilpoptart

I think a lot of people are underestimating this team. They are looking at the 2015 season and how badly Clemson killed them at the end of the year. I dont understand dismissing the improvement last year shown on the field. Yes the gamecocks won against some low level teams, but they were in close games with Kentucky, UGA, TAMU, and Florida that with some additional offensive talent could have won. I have no doubt in my mind that the gamecocks would have beaten Kentucky, TAMU, and UGA if Dowdle and Bentley were playing at that point.

Just imagine how different the media perception would be if the team had won 8 or 9 games last year. I think the offensive is going to be pretty solid and the based on Muschamp's track record the defense should continue to improve. I think 8 wins should be the goal this year.
evilpoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20200
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Yep. For every potential positive you can think of, you can easily think of a potential negative aspect for this team. Anyone who says they know how this team will do is not being totally honest with themselves, methinks.

More than any year that comes to mind, in my 49th year of following USC, this is the biggest question mark filled team.

His general overview of we might be better as a team, but the results in terms of wins and losses might not reflect it seems to mirror my own take. All I need to see is the team play with effort and intelligence and as a full unit. Only then will we start winning in the short term and longer. Wins and losses? No idea. Too many variables. Will we be better? How can we not? You just might have to look closely to see the signs and it might not reflect on the scoreboard.

This does not seem to be the year we arrive, but it is one needed for overall growth and team stability. To me, this is a bridge year to where we can see some undeniable results in 2018 for it adds more time to grow and develop many kids until we start landing more of our top targets in recruiting and begin to step up the pace of improvement. This was never a one or two year rebuild with Champ, but I have no doubt we are on the right track. We have the opportunity to construct a good program, again, and this time have the head man stay for an extended period of time to where we are not a one or two or three year success, but can sustain it for the long run. That is worth the patience it takes, for we have never seen it happen here.

Last edited by brat; 07-28-2017 at 11:29 AM..
brat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 200
InletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot material

If you didn't follow Carolina Football, this would be very reasonable. They need to play together and someone needs to be our Swagger on defense, like DJ was.
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Y Formation
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11400
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by InletCock1989 View Post
If you didn't follow Carolina Football, this would be very reasonable. They need to play together and someone needs to be our Swagger on defense, like DJ was.
Skai and BAW could be those guys.
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

It may be a year or two before we really see some results. The roster was so severely depleted, not only did we not have enough quality starters, we had just about zero quality depth. Except for Bama and a few others, most good teams are constructed of at a minimum of 2 deep quality 3 stars with a few 4 star "difference makers" on each side of the ball. That was our makeup during the 11 win seasons, pretty much. If we can get to a quality 2 deep this year (at least in potential for next year), it'll be a large step forward. I'd like to win 8 (counting a bowl), but in reality, I'll be satisfied with this year if that depth shows up by year's end. Seems a lot of folks are disappointed because we aren't lining the roster with 4* (good ones, not some of SOS last 2 years type).
Until we get some depth, we'll continue to get beat in the 4th quarter.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
Wisercock
Bowl MVP

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
Yep. For every potential positive you can think of, you can easily think of a potential negative aspect for this team. Anyone who says they know how this team will do is not being totally honest with themselves, methinks.

More than any year that comes to mind, in my 49th year of following USC, this is the biggest question mark filled team.

His general overview of we might be better as a team, but the results in terms of wins and losses might not reflect it seems to mirror my own take. Al I need to see is the team play with effort and intelligence and as a full unit. Only then will we start winning in the short term and longer. Wins and losses? No idea. Too many variables. Will we be better? How can we not? You just might have to look closely to see the signs and it might not reflect on the scoreboard.

This does not seem to be the year we arrive, but it is one needed for overall growth and team stability. To me, this is a bridge year to where we can see some undeniable results in 2018 for it adds more time to grow and develop many kids until we start landing more of our top targets in recruiting and begin to step up the pace of improvement. This was never a one or two year rebuilt with Champ, but I have no doubt we are on the right track. We have the opportunity to build up to a good program, again, and this time have the head man stay for an extended period of time to where we are not a one or two or three year success, but can sustain it for a long time. That is worth the patience it takes, for we have never seen it happen here.
Totally agree. It will also help recruiting if look like a well-oiled machine in wins and don't totally fall apart in losses. Play with passion, determination and as a team and I will have fun watching them this fall.

If we come out and look like the Three Stooges I will be sorely disappointed.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
airjeffdude
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
airjeffdude is making other chickens nervousairjeffdude is making other chickens nervousairjeffdude is making other chickens nervousairjeffdude is making other chickens nervousairjeffdude is making other chickens nervousairjeffdude is making other chickens nervousairjeffdude is making other chickens nervous

Maybe I am in the minority but I expect to see drastic changes on both sides of the ball. Last year's offense played very conservative as far as trying to get the ball down field which isn't very Roper like. The defense can only improve under Muschamp and co.

As far as the Clemson game is concerned, we threw that game away in the first 3 series by not even trying to run the ball and putting all of the pressure on Bentley. Not saying we would have won, but it might have been more competitive.

If you watch the spring game and the end of the bowl game you start to see the offense that is closer to what it needs to be.
airjeffdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
donbgamecock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 2156363
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

The fact that our team was just so damn young last year shouldn't be over looked. We now have a young but experienced O. And the most important part of that equation is a QB who proved that even at 18 he had maturity above many JR/SR QBs with the physical skills that can just about match any QB out there. The one area where he was deficient was that he didn't have a complete understanding of the full play book. That should not be a problem this year.

Our O line should be greatly improved with a year of experience under their belt.

Our Defensive front is the big question mark. If we can get the other team off the field, our O will take care of itself.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #11
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbgamecock View Post
The fact that our team was just so damn young last year shouldn't be over looked. We now have a young but experienced O. And the most important part of that equation is a QB who proved that even at 18 he had maturity above many JR/SR QBs with the physical skills that can just about match any QB out there. The one area where he was deficient was that he didn't have a complete understanding of the full play book. That should not be a problem this year.

Our O line should be greatly improved with a year of experience under their belt.

Our Defensive front is the big question mark. If we can get the other team off the field, our O will take care of itself.
Not only were they young, but they did not really have much time to learn the play book, or work with each other. I can't help but think that a whole off season with the playbook and the summer spent throwing and running routes, the offense will improve. If the O-line can be at least decent, I think this could be a really fun offense.

I am a bit more cautious about the defense, but I think Muschamp will have at least a D capable of making a few stops.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:49 PM   #12
lake-cityCOCK89
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
lake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot materiallake-cityCOCK89 is USC mascot material

Best preview that I've seen yet.

I'm afraid he is right, we could be much better than last year and still struggle to 6 wins.

BUT, we could be much better this year and win 7-8 games. It all depends on how much depth they can develop and how healthy can we stay throughout the year.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:01 PM   #13
STAGE1
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
STAGE1 is learning to peckSTAGE1 is learning to peck

Connelly's previews are always the best.
STAGE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #14
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1851285
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I think it's a pretty good analysis. Depth is going to be our biggest enemy. Muschamp is going to have to build a team here the way Spurrier did, by making great assessments on 3 star players and developing them while hoping to land a few 4 stars that live up to their potential. And that doesn't happen in one year.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #15
gamecockfootball62
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 6262626218
gamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPitgamecockfootball62 rules the CockPit

The column writers have no clue about what is going to take place in Columbia this fall. I'm was ecstatic when they picked us 4th in the East. I know that was a huge no no to pick against Jake Bentley. I've seen that kid play ever since he was a little kid and all he knows how to do is win no matter the stage he's on. With all the weapons that's in his arsenal he's going to light that scoreboard up every chance he gets. I've had my share of critics saying I was crazy about the boys going to Atlanta this year representing the East. I just don't see anyone else with the fire power and the want to of the Gamecocks. They all say Georgia has all the pieces.... Well I think the Gamecocks have the pieces at QB, our RB stable, WRs, and the best tight end combination I would put up against anyone in the nation. Call me crazy all you want but I think these Gamecocks will win the East and go to Atlanta and if everything is played right we could knock off anyone representing the West and that goes for big bad Alabama as well.

FOOTBALL!!!

gamecockfootball62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #16
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 4000
cocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I think it's a pretty good analysis. Depth is going to be our biggest enemy. Muschamp is going to have to build a team here the way Spurrier did, by making great assessments on 3 star players and developing them while hoping to land a few 4 stars that live up to their potential. And that doesn't happen in one year.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #17
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

i don't buy this story, "If South Carolina doesn't beat NC State they're not going to have a good year." nonsense. NC State wouldn't be a terrible loss. And if we have our siip up early in the year in the first game its more forgivable.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #18
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
i don't buy this story, "If South Carolina doesn't beat NC State they're not going to have a good year." nonsense. NC State wouldn't be a terrible loss. And if we have our siip up early in the year in the first game its more forgivable.
True. I think we can beat NC State in a close game but it's not the end of the season if we lose. Though knowing this place it will be a total meltdown. As long as we can get 7 wins and a bowl game I'll be satisfied but going forward the expectations will become greater as Champ and his staff have more to sell re recruits.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #19
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
Pretty much. Though I'd add the caveat that if those 4 stars do live up to their potential he may be able to drop the Spurrier route and consistently land the bigger fish. We'll just have to wait and see.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #20
GamecockSuperFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 666
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpoptart View Post
I think a lot of people are underestimating this team. They are looking at the 2015 season and how badly Clemson killed them at the end of the year. I dont understand dismissing the improvement last year shown on the field. Yes the gamecocks won against some low level teams, but they were in close games with Kentucky, UGA, TAMU, and Florida that with some additional offensive talent could have won. I have no doubt in my mind that the gamecocks would have beaten Kentucky, TAMU, and UGA if Dowdle and Bentley were playing at that point.

Just imagine how different the media perception would be if the team had won 8 or 9 games last year. I think the offensive is going to be pretty solid and the based on Muschamp's track record the defense should continue to improve. I think 8 wins should be the goal this year.
This program is where it was at in 2008 going into 2009. Losing the bowl game to Iowa and coming in with a new rejuvenated plan. New o line and run game coordinator to fix the run game from being almost last in the SEC. instilling the run game and rebuilding the defense. We could legitimately be in contention for the east in a year or two if all goes right. I see a 9 win season on the horizon not this year but next in 2018. 11 win seasons in 2019-2020 if we can land some big program changing recruits from the success.

we just can't have losing seasons like we did last year. Just can't do it. No reason to be losing 7 games. None. I Don't care how far the program had fallen you can't have more than 6 losses. There were a lot of variables that attributed to why we lost 7 games, and I think this season there will be enough corrections and healthy playmakers at the start of the year to get this thing rolling. I fully expect a 2 win improvement from last season. The difference to me Will be that we beat Kentucky and split one between UGA and UF. 5-3 in conference with losses to the Arkansas, Texas a&m and probably Florida because I don't see muschamp starting 0-2 against Kirby. That rivalry is really going to heat up. Add that with a loss to clemson and Maybe to NCSU and we're sat 8-4/7-5 going into the bowl game with a chance to either be 9-4, 8-5, or 7-6.

If we beat NCSU and win the bowl game that's the only way I see 9 wins. That's 3 conference losses and a loss to clemson. But as i said the paragraph above it could be anywhere from 7-6 to 9-4. But if we get to 6-7 again then I'm not feeling too special about the future I'm just not.

Last edited by GamecockSuperFan; 07-29-2017 at 01:05 PM..
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote