CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NAGamec0ckFan
kingofnerf
TKE226
Captain9Dragons
AR1
Spur's Addiction
The Yancey
Senior Rooster
GregoryHouse
SterlingBrooks
Can we run the ball? (2201)
Congratulations (1570)
Uniforms vs Clemson (1445)
South Carolina (673)
Mike Leach on CFP (600)
This Egg Bowl might (274)
GameDay Kickoff: The (267)
FCC to end net neutr (205)
PODCAST: Clemson Wee (178)
Tailgating with dogs (162)
Mike Leach on CFP
2018 Commitment - Dakereo
Can we run the ball?
Clemson opponents avg rec
Will USC Score >21 vs
South Carolina
Uniforms vs Clemson
2018 - Dorian Gerald
Star Wars game day themes
Coaching carousel: 2017-1

Old 09-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
CockNJersey
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPit
Default Fix instant replay

Maybe it's just me and maybe it's just not seeing the game for a few months, but in the games I saw this weekend instant replay seemed to be out of control. I understand the rationale of wanting to get the call right, but dang it totally screws up the flow of the game. Nothing's worse than a team being in a roll and wanting to keep the ball moving than a 3 minute stoppage to review a play. Or a D who has a team on their heels and instant replay giving the offense a free timeout to regroup.

And it's not just the number or timing of the replays, but the time it takes to make a decision on very obvious plays. Several this weekend took more than a minute and it was plainly obvious from the first replay what the call was.

Just go back to the old days of getting some right and getting some wrong. It all balances out in the long run. Besides, they don't review penalties and those have a huge impact on the game. Much more so than he ocassiobal fumble that gets reviewed.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
M.C.
Gamecock4Life

Male

CockyCash: 10149643
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.
Default Re: Fix instant replay

hmm how about no....replay is a good thing keeps things fair

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
CockNJersey
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPitCockNJersey rules the CockPit

Is it fair though? Say a defense has an opposing offense on its heels and makes a great play that is called correctly on the field. But instant replay wants to review it. After a 2 minute stoppage, the call is upheld, but the opposing offense has just gotten a free 2 minute stoppage to regroup. Nothing fair about totally interfering with the flow and rhythm of the game.

What if you're an offense on a roll late in the game against a d that is totally gassed. A receiver makes an incredible catch to set up for a tying score. But instant replay wants to take a look and, even the call is upheld, the d gets a free timeout to catch their breath.

The concept is fine: get the call right. The implementation is awful.

And if you are advocating for fairness then penalties need to be reviewed as well. Much more of those get missed than catches, fumbles, out of bounds etc.

In its currrent format, it sucks.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
Is it fair though? Say a defense has an opposing offense on its heels and makes a great play that is called correctly on the field. But instant replay wants to review it. After a 2 minute stoppage, the call is upheld, but the opposing offense has just gotten a free 2 minute stoppage to regroup. Nothing fair about totally interfering with the flow and rhythm of the game.

What if you're an offense on a roll late in the game against a d that is totally gassed. A receiver makes an incredible catch to set up for a tying score. But instant replay wants to take a look and, even the call is upheld, the d gets a free timeout to catch their breath.

The concept is fine: get the call right. The implementation is awful.

And if you are advocating for fairness then penalties need to be reviewed as well. Much more of those get missed than catches, fumbles, out of bounds etc.

In its currrent format, it sucks.
By that same token, is it fair to get credit for a 60 yard completion that actually hit the ground? Is it fair for a defense to recover a fumble that never actually happened?

I watched a few games, including ours, and didn't feel like replay was overused. Maybe in some situations, like for spotting the ball, you could make those "coaches challenge only" for reviews instead of everything being automatic, but other than that I don't really see the need for any major changes.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
92Pony
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1332476
92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material

I'm glad for it overall.

I still, still, STILL say I wish they would use replay to go back and get the FIRST GUY who shoves or throws a punch in unsportsmanlike calls. The retaliating player seems to always get the call. Use replay to get the instigator!
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #6
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Pony View Post
I'm glad for it overall.

I still, still, STILL say I wish they would use replay to go back and get the FIRST GUY who shoves or throws a punch in unsportsmanlike calls. The retaliating player seems to always get the call. Use replay to get the instigator!
This is very true.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #7
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

flow and rhythm dont matter to me. if there are short stoppages for replay or a team is faking injuries to keep an opposing offense from hurrying up its all fine and dandy for me. now if the stoppages are causing a game to go over so i miss the start of the usc game then im on board with you.

never again would i want to go without replay, flawed as it is at least if theres a blatant mistake it gets fixed. and its improved over the years, remember the days of the inadvertent whistle and how fumbles would get ruled down and wouldnt be reviewable. those were the dark days of replay.

i wouldnt necessarily agree that penalties have more of an affect on the game than turnovers. the only penalties in the future i could see them reviewing are the non subjective ones and that would likely require coach challenges, though they are already reviewing targeting.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #8
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1593234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I think its more of an issue with fans on tv and in the stands than players.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
taylorssc
Raisinballin'

Male

CockyCash: 1000337
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Do away with it. There is no advantage when both teams are subject to human error.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote