CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
cockinraleigh
gotrice?
Ahmad
RGHoskins
JerseyBird
GregoryHouse
spareparts
Captain9Dragons
CockNJersey
SanAntonioCock
Jake Bentley analysi (839)
Nebraska Fired Shawn (628)
**USC vs. Louisiana (391)
Today is a MUST WIN; (336)
Fall Softball 2017 (175)
2017 Gamecock Baseba (163)
Gameday Guide: Louis (145)
PODCAST: Game Previe (142)
Carmelo to OKC (19)
2 tickets LaTech Wes (10)
Jake Bentley analysis
**USC vs. Louisiana Tech
Carmelo to OKC
Offensive Thoughts
Today is a MUST WIN; What
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Qb's under pressure SEC
Felder's Charges Dropped
College Football 2017
2018 MBB Zion Williamson

Old 09-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
4NCSU
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb
Default Kirby Smart/Mark Richt

Congrats on the W vs. Missouri. I was watching the Georgia-Notre Dame game last night. It was a great game, with the Dawgs edging them out.

I am just curious. Do you think, a little over a year ago, that the camps were completely split on Mark Richt continuing to coach for Georgia? Or were there more in favor of MR leaving because UGA wasn't challenging Alabama? Did the key wealthy alumni force his hand quietly? Do you think there were more Georgia fans in favor of him staying?

I've always respected Mark Richt. He's a decent man, but I know fans want to win big and beat the "big names." I know UGA struggled to beat Florida and Alabama. Taking the next step to be a top five program is an awful big leap to make for the Dawgs.

I heard Kirby Smart say last night, "These fans are starved." How do you think he'll do? I think Ray Goff struggled. Jim Donnan was a fairly good coach. Richt had his best success early on.

The SEC chews coaches up and spits them out. But, too, they're paid monstrous salaries to coach. Salaries that are unbelievable.
4NCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29769400
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Kirby Smart/Mark Richt

The big money Dawg boosters would be justified in being concerned. They fired a guy that averaged 10 wins a year IMO solely because they became worried we'd hire Smart, they didn't want to see a Dawg alum winning here.

At this point, I'm happy with the Dawg alum we hired, Smart might do ok there but Muschamp has done a Herculean job completely revamping every aspect of our program. I think we got the better part of the deal.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
roosterdude21
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3076031485
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Happy with who we got. UGA eked out a one point win against a 4-8 Notre Dame (2016) team that was over-ranked at #24. I don't think Smart was a fair trade for Richt and I'm fine if UGA implodes due to the mishandling of the situation.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
They fired a guy that averaged 10 wins a year IMO solely because they became worried we'd hire Smart, they didn't want to see a Dawg alum winning here.

At this point, I'm happy with the Dawg alum we hired, Smart might do ok there but Muschamp has done a Herculean job completely revamping every aspect of our program. I think we got the better part of the deal.
Ironic, eh?

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
Jerseygator
Walk On

Male

Jerseygator is learning to peck

It's hard to say at this point. UGA was O.K. last night. But both QBs in that game are brand new, especially the UGA QB.

Muschamp made a mistake in hiring Weis at UF. I think Brady made Weis look good in NE. I'm just guessing but I've long felt that the Carolinas produce better players on D than on O. I think Muschamp will do well here. Not sure about Smart.
Jerseygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29769400
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygator View Post
I think Muschamp will do well here. Not sure about Smart.
I think Muschamp's ceiling is higher than Smart's in their respective positions.

IMO Smart doesn't really give them a huge improvement over Richt. They let go a long term successful coach and hired a younger guy hoping they gain one or two wins per year. I think he's still going to average 9-10 wins per year, and he stepped into a successful situation...he essentially didn't have to change a thing.

Muschamp had the much bigger job here, he completely revamped/improved pretty much every single aspect of our program. He even changed out the equipment guy.

When it's all said and done, Smart will do good there....I just don't see him making a major improvement, I don't see him improving leaps and bounds over what Richt gave them.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #7
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 840
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Experience matters, whether it is with players or coaches. Both Kirby and Boom had nice resumes as defensive coaches/ coordinators, but being a head coach is a whole different deal. Kinda like the difference from being a back-up or a starter - there is no substitute for being out there as a starter, or a head coach.

Boom got his first gig without being a head coach at a smaller school or being promoted from within (which would have happened if he had stayed at Texas, where he was head coach in waiting). Either of those scenarios would have been much easier - in the first case, he would have head coaching experience, in the second he would be familiar with the school and players, and in both cases he would have a ready-made staff.

Kirby is in the same boat that Boom was in at Florida. I think that he will eventually be a good coach at UGA (if he survives) or elsewhere. And he has a small advantage over Boom - he is coaching at his Alma Mater, so they will give him a little more rope. But he will take his lumps until he gets experience - I hope we can take advantage.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #8
4NCSU
Walk On

Male

4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb4NCSU is developing his comb

Do y'all think a high % of Dawgs fans wanted Mark Richt to move on? Would be surprised if Smart can lead UGA to the top. That's a big step.

The excitement over Mark Richt was high his first five years. His last 2-3 years, it was lower and it seemed UGA fans were more critical.

They were unhappy with a man that had 145 Ws over 15 years. That's nearly 10 Ws a season. He averaged out to about 9-3 a season during his time in Athens. He had 3 top 5 rankings.

Not bad. But I guess getting pounded, 38-10 vs. Bama in his last year at home, fired up the critics.

Can Smart lead them higher? Don't know about that.

As long as Will Muschamp has a solid offensive mind on his staff, who knows what South Carolina do? Spurrier is a tough act to follow. WM knows defense and I've heard, recruits well.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #9
FLgamecockJAX
Blue Chip

Male

FLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spurs

I don't know how successful Kirby will be in the long term or short term, but I hope he begins to take his beatings this year (both scoreboard and recruiting trail) from another fellow Dawg.....Coach Boom!!!
FLgamecockJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #10
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1668234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

UGA has their heads up their asses. They want to be the (current) Alabama of the East, but it wont happen. As to whether Smart will be successful or not, he has the tools. Trouble is success is going to be defined as a better record than what Richt put together, which was pretty dang good.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #11
4NCSU
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
UGA has their heads up their asses. They want to be the (current) Alabama of the East, but it wont happen. As to whether Smart will be successful or not, he has the tools. Trouble is success is going to be defined as a better record than what Richt put together, which was pretty dang good.
Yeah, TKE, you're right about that one. There's not much room to go up if you're KS. We'll see.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #12
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 8914
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

I like Richt. But the odds were stacked against him from the start. For Dogs, the Vince Dooley/Irk Russell era was the model to compare against. Richt actually had a slightly higher winning percentage then Dooley, but dogs were always complaining he lost the big games, whereas Vince won them, for the most part. That alone is what did him in.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
Pw00132
4-Star

Male

Pw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot materialPw00132 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
I like Richt. But the odds were stacked against him from the start. For Dogs, the Vince Dooley/Irk Russell era was the model to compare against. Richt actually had a slightly higher winning percentage then Dooley, but dogs were always complaining he lost the big games, whereas Vince won them, for the most part. That alone is what did him in.
It's Erk Russel. Sorry had to say something.

I have essentially lived in Ga my whole life. In the past year I have lived near Athens and this is what I have heard from the Ga fans.

They should have gotten Deshawn Watson bc he was from Ga. Ritch had the talent to win SEC/NC in his past few years. Georgia Southern almost beat them his last year. (Southern had a hell of a team that year and should have won) And I think the kicker was USC pushing for Smart.

Athens is an interesting place. Full of hippies and very very wealthy people.
It is essentially metro Atl in my opinion. (Off topic comment.) Smart doesn't have Saban to double check his Defensive homework though. Champ has already done this at an Sec school and knows what needs to be done.
Pw00132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #14
Gamecockswag
4-Star

Male

Gamecockswag is developing his combGamecockswag is developing his combGamecockswag is developing his combGamecockswag is developing his combGamecockswag is developing his combGamecockswag is developing his combGamecockswag is developing his combGamecockswag is developing his combGamecockswag is developing his comb

I think I heard somewhere that Mark Richt lost control of Miami.

... or was that Irma?
Old 09-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #15
Wisercock
Bowl MVP

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
The big money Dawg boosters would be justified in being concerned. They fired a guy that averaged 10 wins a year IMO solely because they became worried we'd hire Smart, they didn't want to see a Dawg alum winning here.

I agree. Between the two I'm glad we ended up with Muschamp.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #16
05USCGrad
i'm probably lying

Male

CockyCash: 100950
05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material

Richt was a slightly better Tommy Bowden and they went looking for their Dabo
Old 09-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #17
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

I have a good friend that is a dawg. He has been calling for a Richt to be fired for years. I kept asking him 'who are you going to get to replace him? " He said they need a winner like Saban, or Spurrier etc.

Now they haven Smart.

Personally I think it will be hard to beat 9-10 wins per year that Richt was doing.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #18
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 8914
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw00132 View Post
It's Erk Russel.
That just irks me.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #19
zcoop
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 999905007
zcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPit

CMR was a very good coach, unfortunately he couldn't win the big games and the UGA faithful ran him out of town because of it. We practically owned him during the Spurrier years but UGA often wound up being ahead of us in the SEC East race. When they got the chance with all of the talent they get, CMR just couldn't get the job done.

With CMR, we knew what UGA had but we don't know what Smart will bring. I will say that spending as much time with Saban and that BAMA machine should give him some insight on how to win though.

I think UGA got tougher to beat with Smart.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #20
4NCSU
Walk On

Male

Richt was 6-5 vs Spurrier. Interestingly enough, South Carolina and Georgia had a good rivalry going on those 11 years. It was about tit-for-tat.

I think Kirby Smart is gonna have a tough time going a level higher than Richt. But Dawg fans obviously wanted MR to move on. It will be very difficult for anyone to stop Saban's machine.

I just watched the Brian Kelley exchange with the reporter following ND's loss to UGA. Unless BK turns it around, I think he's out.