CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
Blitzkrieg
Senior Rooster
Gamecocks1137
Spur's Addiction
GoldenSpur7
AtlGAMECOCK
lfowens
Cockhornleghorn
rt3891
Opening weekend impr (900)
WBB Transfers (759)
2020 WBB - Kylee Wat (737)
2018 Men's Club Lacr (124)
Oyster Stew (68)
Oyster Stew
Great promo for South Car
2020 WBB - Kylee Watson -
Kory Holden is gone
WBB Transfers
Outcome-Based Goals vs Pr
2020 - Mecose Todd
All Home Games Not Availa
Scott's Bar-B-Que/Lewis B
**USC Women (21-5) vs. Ke

Old 10-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material
Default Kingston wants the ball in the air .

Interesting quotes in the Spurs & Feathers article on the G&B world series . I didn't realize Mark Kingston had joined the current pro ball trend to swing on an upward plane and hit more balls in the air . Fine with me if it seems to be working . Here's the quotes :

When South Carolina hitters are in the cage for batting practice, new head coach Mark Kingston is hammering home one message: no ground balls.

"We want to be aggressive. It's just been hammered down that we are going to try to be aggressive and try to get the ball in the air," senior third baseman Jonah Bride said. " He wants the ball in the air and in the gaps."

Kingston's approach is working during the fall season as the Gamecocks have hit twice as many home runs in about 150 few at-bats than last fall.

"We're not a big fan of hitting ground balls. We want to get the ball in the air and drive the baseball," Kingston said. "That's kinda in vogue right now among all levels of baseball, and we're no different. I think we have tried to train our guys to do that and I think we are seeing a lot of results."
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 940058
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Kingston wants the ball in the air .

I spoke with a very very distinquished HS baseball coach last year about the state of offensive ideas in HS and in college, he told me the same thing. It is now more about getting the ball in the air instead of just getting out there in play. The coach really didnt know if he liked the idea of getting the ball in the air but said it was being implimented everywhere
The idea is it takes away a lot of double plays while still putting pressure on the field to make the right throws. Also, if you have a runner on 2nd with speed and the ball is hit to right center or right you have a chance of moving the runner to 3rd.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

I think it's more getting it in the air, over the infielders' heads but landing in front of the outfielders to force them to make the throw, especially with runners on base. Getting it out of the infield. As Smoove said, make them make the throw.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
I think it's more getting it in the air, over the infielders' heads but landing in front of the outfielders to force them to make the throw, especially with runners on base. Getting it out of the infield. As Smoove said, make them make the throw.
..You have to put pressure on the defense to make them make a play. The more plays they have to make the more chance for errors and bad decisions...All the while making their pitcher work a little harder.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

I like the idea of being more aggressive at the plate.
I also like that he's going to demand his pitchers throw strikes, instead of this trying to get batters to chase BS.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
I like the idea of being more aggressive at the plate.
I also like that he's going to demand his pitchers throw strikes, instead of this trying to get batters to chase BS.
..Yeah. If you are Michael (The God Of The Mound Whose Ass I Would Kiss At The Drop Of A Hat).....you can play the chase game a little. But these kids are so good at the plate now, you have to throw strikes and let your fielders do what they are suppose to do.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
seamus
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 2685000
seamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot material

I agree that the hitters are being more disciplined, but you can't defense walks. So, I am of the old school of pitch to contact. I like the idea of running up the opposing pitcher's pitch count, but it drives me crazy that we take center cut fastballs on a 1-0 count.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
socartex
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
socartex is making other chickens nervoussocartex is making other chickens nervoussocartex is making other chickens nervoussocartex is making other chickens nervoussocartex is making other chickens nervoussocartex is making other chickens nervoussocartex is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
Interesting quotes in the Spurs & Feathers article on the G&B world series . I didn't realize Mark Kingston had joined the current pro ball trend to swing on an upward plane and hit more balls in the air . Fine with me if it seems to be working . Here's the quotes :

When South Carolina hitters are in the cage for batting practice, new head coach Mark Kingston is hammering home one message: no ground balls.

"We want to be aggressive. It's just been hammered down that we are going to try to be aggressive and try to get the ball in the air," senior third baseman Jonah Bride said. " He wants the ball in the air and in the gaps."

Kingston's approach is working during the fall season as the Gamecocks have hit twice as many home runs in about 150 few at-bats than last fall.

"We're not a big fan of hitting ground balls. We want to get the ball in the air and drive the baseball," Kingston said. "That's kinda in vogue right now among all levels of baseball, and we're no different. I think we have tried to train our guys to do that and I think we are seeing a lot of results."
Did you watch the Dodgers/Astros last night. I think this is what John Smoltz was saying Joc Pederson does. When he connects, he can hit it a long way. But it makes for a lot of swings and misses.

I'd like to hear more on this subject, especially if this is what the Cocks will be doing.
socartex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by socartex View Post
Did you watch the Dodgers/Astros last night. I think this is what John Smoltz was saying Joc Pederson does. When he connects, he can hit it a long way. But it makes for a lot of swings and misses.

I'd like to hear more on this subject, especially if this is what the Cocks will be doing.
This article is pretty lengthy , but I'm sure you can find shorter ones .

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/02...-launch-angle/
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

I can understand this approach......they say, "hit 'em where they ain't".....well, there are fewer gloves in the outfield than there are in the infield.....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #11
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 63940
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

its crazy watching this young generation swing the bats..these guys in the world series seem to swing straight up..sure your going to hit some long ones but at the college level im wondering if the strike outs wont really go up..do or die.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:03 PM   #12
tcmac08
Three-toed sloth

Male

CockyCash: 5187
tcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot material

Look at the AL ROY-Judge. Broke rookie HR record and the rookie strikeout record. However, he did manage to hit a respectable .284 with a .400+ on base percentage. Strikeouts every game is acceptable when you are also driving in runs every game.
tcmac08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:38 PM   #13
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13862
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Holbrook had the same strategy, nothing new.

Of course, Holbrook's hitters mostly got the ball in the air on sacrifice bunts, so it was the infielders making the play and not the outfielders....
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #14
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Baseball is still the same game it was 50 or more years ago. Yes, somethings do change as players seem to get bigger and stronger, but I think you build your team around the talent you have. Yes it is nice to have some home run hitters, but the odds against hitting home runs in a league where the talent level is very good is hard to do. I am of the old school when it comes to hitting and pitching and believe if a hitter is good and has great hand and eye coordination he will be able to hit just about any pitch he sees at times. I have seen so many of these young kids trying to swing "up" at the ball and the vast majority of them usually strike out or hit it in the air for an easy out. Of course hitting a baseball on the ground in college and MLB usually means an automatic out, but I love putting the ball in play and making the other team have to deal with it. Home runs are great, but consistent hitting will get you more runs in the long scheme of things. Also, pitchers don't all have to be like Nolan Ryan and throw 105 mph and strike everyone out. Guys like Mark Maddox made a career out of dancing around the strike zone and making hitters chase his type of pitch and hit it on the ground. That's why you put 8 others out there with you. Just the way I see it and maybe this is a new trend, but good teams that win consistently will still do all things in the proper way. As much as I love to watch a kid like Aaron Judge hit home runs, I would rather have a George Brett or Pete Rose type of hitter that is going to make a pitcher work and go deep into the pitch count and then get the right pitch and give me a single, double, or whatever.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #15
uscjeremynca
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10590
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

I don't agree with the upward plane approach. There were a record number of HRs this year in baseball but also a record number of strikeouts.

There are times when putting the ball in play is productive regardless of getting an out. There is NEVER a time when striking out is productive. And with the upward plane approach, it's all or nothing for many hitters - hit it deep or not at all.

Give me someone who can handle a bat, put it in play, beat the shift yet still have some power. Altuve is a perfect example of this. Trout is similar.

HRs are nice and give you runs but the alternative to not hitting it out with more Ks but can far more detrimental than the HRs that are produced.
uscjeremynca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #16
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
Baseball is still the same game it was 50 or more years ago. Yes, somethings do change as players seem to get bigger and stronger, but I think you build your team around the talent you have. Yes it is nice to have some home run hitters, but the odds against hitting home runs in a league where the talent level is very good is hard to do. I am of the old school when it comes to hitting and pitching and believe if a hitter is good and has great hand and eye coordination he will be able to hit just about any pitch he sees at times. I have seen so many of these young kids trying to swing "up" at the ball and the vast majority of them usually strike out or hit it in the air for an easy out. Of course hitting a baseball on the ground in college and MLB usually means an automatic out, but I love putting the ball in play and making the other team have to deal with it. Home runs are great, but consistent hitting will get you more runs in the long scheme of things. Also, pitchers don't all have to be like Nolan Ryan and throw 105 mph and strike everyone out. Guys like Mark Maddox made a career out of dancing around the strike zone and making hitters chase his type of pitch and hit it on the ground. That's why you put 8 others out there with you. Just the way I see it and maybe this is a new trend, but good teams that win consistently will still do all things in the proper way. As much as I love to watch a kid like Aaron Judge hit home runs, I would rather have a George Brett or Pete Rose type of hitter that is going to make a pitcher work and go deep into the pitch count and then get the right pitch and give me a single, double, or whatever.
Was Mark Maddox with the Germans when they bombed Pearl Harbor?
Old 11-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #17
lakemurraycock
Two Deep

CockyCash: 5357
lakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
Was Mark Maddox with the Germans when they bombed Pearl Harbor?
No. He was at the Delta Tau Chi party.
lakemurraycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #18
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1853785
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Greg Maddux?
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #19
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

So another way of saying we want line drives.

This is nice to hear though...it is a similar philosophy that Monte Lee has, and we saw how quick he turned around his program just on offense.

I like aggressive hitters, but I'm a little more old school in working the pitcher, running their pitch count and making it a war of attrition...but hey, whatever puts more runs on the board than the opponent and gets wins.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote