CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
tcmac08
carolina_corpsman
thekob
kick_ball
TastyLicks
cack
COCKYWOOD
Spur's Addiction
DJ35
Master Bedroom
2018 SEC Tournament: (1451)
Game 1 Against Coast (1079)
2019 - Donavon Green (488)
Portnoy no longer co (266)
Spelunking Anyone? (265)
Mission Impossible o (247)
Happy Birthday South (190)
NBA Playoffs (176)
Found some Gamecock (133)
Football Seat Select (129)
2018 SEC Tournament:**USC
Josh Belk
WBB Transfers
2018 SEC Tournament:**USC
Game 1 Against Coastal
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
2019 - Donavon Greene
Chris Silva returning to
NBA Playoffs
Hosting as a 2 seed?

Old 01-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Perfect Game 2018 Preseason Rankings

Not the most interesting article if you're a South Carolina Gamecock fan. Hopefully we prove them wrong....

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles...?article=14784
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material
Default Re: Perfect Game 2018 Preseason Rankings

New coaches and almost all new pitching staff, so I'm sure a lot are taking a wait and see approach.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Ph/JDCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 4700
Ph/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot material

Preseason polls are pretty useless (especially under our current circumstances with so many unknowns), but we're 19th in Collegiate Baseball FWIW.

I know many here were looking/hoping for a big splash hire, but I'm optimistic about the future based on the national baseball media's critique of Kingston. They seemed to view him as the "it" guy among up-and-comers and someone known well and respected in coaching circles if not exactly a household name.

To me, he *feels* kind of like Ray's hire when he came on-board as HC as far as philosophy and approach to the game, although Ray was a bit more of a known quantity.
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
GeoCocky66
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 3242
GeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot material

If nothing else, I hope this will help some people calibrate their expectations of the team and their evaluations of Kingston's performance this year accordingly. There was a fair number of people who didn't want Kingston because he wasn't an expensive, 'splashy' hire (i.e., Kevin O), even though he's very widely respected in baseball circles. He held together a good recruiting class and has seemingly done just about everything right so far. The reality, though, is that we're thin (talentwise) in certain areas and are expected to finish in the middle or bottom-half of the SEC this year. I think he's going to get us back to the top, but at the risk of being bashed, it's not likely to be this year given how stacked the SEC is.
GeoCocky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #5
Johnny Cockyc@sh
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Johnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his combJohnny Cockyc@sh is developing his comb

It's a bit of a tall order but I'd love for them to visit Omaha again... and bring home the title.
Johnny Cockyc@sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #6
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Omaha is probably not in the cards this year. Too many unknowns on the mound at all levels and this is still mostly the same talent that struggled last year.

I think a tourney appearance. Also want to see us actually compete at the conference tourney for once.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 PM   #7
GeoCocky66
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 3242
GeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Omaha is probably not in the cards this year. Too many unknowns on the mound at all levels and this is still mostly the same talent that struggled last year.

I think a tourney appearance. Also want to see us actually compete at the conference tourney for once.
I agree that making the NCAA tournament should be our top goal this year, and it's a realistic one, I think. I'm less worried about Hoover, and would rather see us finish in the top half of the conference and ranked at the end of the season. Finally, I simply want to see us play sound, competitive ball and show continual improvement under the new staff. Last year was ugly and frustrating at times,so I'm really looking forward to seeing how we play.
GeoCocky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

The postseason, IMO, is a must this year. There is no reason that isn't the first goal each season. Good enough to host would be a massive improvement on last year. It helps that the seeding has been changed from 8 to 16 this year, going forward.

As for Hoover, I never worry about that. We play well enough in the regular season to KNOW that our name will be called on Memorial Day, what we do in Hoover is really irrelevant (as history has shown us more often than not). I just don't want to be yelling at my radio, wondering where the production was the rest of the season, while driving to the mountains that Friday of SECT.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #9
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 940058
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
The postseason, IMO, is a must this year. There is no reason that isn't the first goal each season. Good enough to host would be a massive improvement on last year. It helps that the seeding has been changed from 8 to 16 this year, going forward.

As for Hoover, I never worry about that. We play well enough in the regular season to KNOW that our name will be called on Memorial Day, what we do in Hoover is really irrelevant (as history has shown us more often than not). I just don't want to be yelling at my radio, wondering where the production was the rest of the season, while driving to the mountains that Friday of SECT.
..A true baseball player or baseball fan would change things up to break up the bad Mojo...Go to the freaking beach on that Friday...We will be in for sure then...
Old 01-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #10
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Making the postseason should always be the expectation for YardCock baseball.

Anything past making it this year, would be icing on the cake IMO.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #11
seamus
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 2700000
seamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot material

New coach, new team, new attitude and making the tournament would be a good year.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:53 PM   #12
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1061017
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Well, it can't possibly be worst than last year.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:13 AM   #13
CockTail
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Kingston is an excellent baseball mind. He has a great feel for decision making, unlike Holbrook. He is not the recruiter that Holbrook was but having some success will change that. It will take some time for him to recruit and teach his offensive principles but we will be in good shape. We have the right guy, give him time.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #14
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
..A true baseball player or baseball fan would change things up to break up the bad Mojo...Go to the freaking beach on that Friday...We will be in for sure then...
Last year was my first time going to the mountains for a Girls' Trip over Memorial Day weekend, and we started actually playing ball. So...
Old 01-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #15
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13862
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Kingston may be every bit as good of a recruiter as Holbrook. Holbrook was selling UNC and then the Gamecocks. Kinda like the difference between recruiting for Alabama and UAB in football - you don't expect the UAB coach to do nearly as well.

I will consider this season a success if we make the tournament and cut the number of sacrifice bunts in half.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:36 PM   #16
grilldoggy
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
grilldoggy has hatched from the shell

Skimping dibby Holdbert doo, dabby doobert
grilldoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #17
Ironfan
Household Name

CockyCash: 400
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Now we get to see just how bad Holbrook ran the program into the ground
Ironfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #18
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Preseason practice should be beginning anytime now, right? The season is now a month away....
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #19
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

I don't know that you can really put "hit or miss" goals on a coaches first season. Of course Baseball is a little easier transition as the philosophy changes are only on one side of the game (and pitching). I mean, Defense is Defense and outside of adjustments and language ... you're just making a play.

I don't know if we have the hitters that can transition from a "small ball" mentality to the more aggressive approach that Kingston likes to teach.

All I ask for is CONSISTENT good baseball. It doesn't have to translate into 40 wins and a ring. Just get out there, play great defense like we've known, hit the ball, and take advantage of opponents mistakes. The past few seasons, we haven't seen a whole lot of good baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #20
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Preseason practice should be beginning anytime now, right? The season is now a month away....
Should be this weekend. Classes just started today.