CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Three and Out
rt3891
Ahmad
Blitzkrieg
PFW79
CockyandProud
etowngangsta
sc455
cockyguitar
Spur's Addiction
AP Top 25 poll (1297)
HS football and brai (999)
Yelow Stripey Things (537)
Regarding Streaming (420)
CBS Inside College F (388)
Season Tickets (308)
Regarding Streaming (211)
I don't get it.. (119)
HS football and brai (40)
Looking for a spot i (33)
I don't get it..
AP Top 25 poll
Rico Dowdle
What I want in our next c
2019 - PG Josiah James (M
NCAAF: COASTAL CAROLINA @
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
2019 - Jammie Robinson
2019 - John Dixon
2019 - Quavaris Crouch

Old 01-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #21
AndersonCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Perfect Game 2018 Preseason Rankings

Montgomery pitched his best as a Freshman, so did Wynkoop and Koumas was solid as well even though he finished his career elsewhere. I'm not a baseball guy but do y'all think it's because nobody's seen their stuff? I think a top 16 seed is reasonable we had a ton of late inning blow ups last year. Kingston's hard nosed attitude could correct that.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #22
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

I'm sorry, but there really is no reason why this team should not make the NCAA Tournament. Otherwise, there would have been no reason to fire Holbrook.

Holbrook was fired because we missed the NCAA Tournament with a team that should have sailed into it and probably should have hosted a regional. If the talent levels are the same, shouldn't the expectations be the same as well? Otherwise, what was the point in firing Holbrook?

We either make the tournament, or we embarrass ourselves again. There's really no gray area on that one. Now, hosting a regional, making a super regional, or getting to the CWS are obviously debatable. Simply making the tournament, is not.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #23
Spur20001
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
I'm sorry, but there really is no reason why this team should not make the NCAA Tournament. Otherwise, there would have been no reason to fire Holbrook.

Holbrook was fired because we missed the NCAA Tournament with a team that should have sailed into it and probably should have hosted a regional. If the talent levels are the same, shouldn't the expectations be the same as well? Otherwise, what was the point in firing Holbrook?

We either make the tournament, or we embarrass ourselves again. There's really no gray area on that one. Now, hosting a regional, making a super regional, or getting to the CWS are obviously debatable. Simply making the tournament, is not.
Not debatable? Who are you trying to kid? Not me, that's for sure. We have one returning proven quality pitcher. But we will definitely make the NCAAs?
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #24
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

As we all know it takes a lot more than talent. Yes, we had the talent. Unfortunately, you must also have the discipline. We did not, and it showed.

CMK has brought back the discipline to the program. By that I mean having RESPECT for the program you are a part of, and recognizing that it is a privilege to wear the Garnet and Black and step foot onto that diamond. Even the smallest thing of not allowing their water cups to be thrown on the ground but into the trash (especially in the locker room). Small things like that will show us who really wants to be here and be a part of something special.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #25
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

As we all know it takes a lot more than talent. Yes, we had the talent. Unfortunately, you must also have the discipline. We did not, and it showed.

CMK has brought back the discipline to the program. By that I mean having RESPECT for the program you are a part of, and recognizing that it is a privilege to wear the Garnet and Black and step foot onto that diamond. Even the smallest thing of not allowing their water cups to be thrown on the ground but into the trash (especially in the locker room). Small things like that will show us who really wants to be here and be a part of something special.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #26
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
Not debatable? Who are you trying to kid? Not me, that's for sure. We have one returning proven quality pitcher. But we will definitely make the NCAAs?
Who am I trying to kid? Nobody. Us not making the NCAA Tournament in baseball is like Alabama not making a bowl game. There is no way that should happen. I donít care who is returning. The level of talent that we recruit gives us no excuses.

If you think we should miss the NCAA Tournament, thatís your opinion. I donít think Iím asking a whole lot to say we should make the tournament at the very least though. Thatís literally why Holbrook was fired.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #27
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post

I get what youíre saying, but throwing cups into a trash can is not the deciding factor that indicates whether or not a team will make the tourney. Again, I understand the respect aspect of playing for our program, but talent does matter. Utilizing it properly matters more. Holbrook didnít do that, we didnít make the tournament, and heís gone.

Kingston doesnít get warm-up seasons here. We have talent. He either utilizes it properly or he doesnít. Itís that simple. I think he will be a good coach. I was skeptical at first, but I like how he operates after seeing it (from an outsider perspective obviously). That doesnít change his responsibilities or the expectations that are attached to this program. Making the tourney is the bare minimum.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #28
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 0
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

I also don't buy into us not making the tournament this year.

USC should be able to reload. I guess we will find out just how bad CH left us......
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #29
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
I get what you’re saying, but throwing cups into a trash can is not the deciding factor that indicates whether or not a team will make the tourney. Again, I understand the respect aspect of playing for our program, but talent does matter. Utilizing it properly matters more. Holbrook didn’t do that, we didn’t make the tournament, and he’s gone.

Kingston doesn’t get warm-up seasons here. We have talent. He either utilizes it properly or he doesn’t. It’s that simple. I think he will be a good coach. I was skeptical at first, but I like how he operates after seeing it (from an outsider perspective obviously). That doesn’t change his responsibilities or the expectations that are attached to this program. Making the tourney is the bare minimum.
I never said it did, and I never said talent doesn't matter. Simply using that as an example of how the smallest bit of discipline can make a difference. Lack of discipline was the BIGGEST problem under Holbrook and it showed on the field. The guys had absolutely no respect for the program. That is inexcusable here. They thought they could lollygag around and still win because they had "talent". They were all proven wrong.

I don't care how much talent you have. If you don't have discipline, you'll suffer the consequences (as we did the last 5 seasons).

Last edited by USCBatgirl21; 01-17-2018 at 10:15 AM..
Old 01-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #30
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
I never said it did, and I never said talent doesn't matter. Simply using that as an example of how the smallest bit of discipline can make a difference. Lack of discipline was the BIGGEST problem under Holbrook and it showed on the field. The guys had absolutely no respect for the program. That is inexcusable here. They thought they could lollygag around and still win because they had "talent". They were all proven wrong.

I don't care how much talent you have. If you don't have discipline, you'll suffer the consequences (as we did the last 5 seasons).
Thatís fine, but if ďrespect for the programĒ is our only concern, then Kingston should have no problem fixing that and getting us to the tournament. Itís that simple. Muschamp changed the attitude of our team in his first season. He just didnít have the talent. Kingston does.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #31
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Thatís fine, but if ďrespect for the programĒ is our only concern, then Kingston should have no problem fixing that and getting us to the tournament. Itís that simple. Muschamp changed the attitude of our team in his first season. He just didnít have the talent. Kingston does.
I never said it was our only concern. I said it was our biggest concern. And it showed. Were there other problems, yes. Never said there weren't. Many things fall under the umbrella of discipline. One being a focus on fundamentals, which I mentioned previously as well (see lollygag comment).

CMK actually told me that he's heard from more people than not that they are happy he's bringing back the discipline (like what we had under CRT) to the program. That says a great deal when many fans are mentioning it to him, as well as other issues we had.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #32
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
I never said it was our only concern. I said it was our biggest concern. And it showed. Were there other problems, yes. Never said there weren't. Many things fall under the umbrella of discipline. One being a focus on fundamentals, which I mentioned previously as well (see lollygag comment).

CMK actually told me that he's heard from more people than not that they are happy he's bringing back the discipline (like what we had under CRT) to the program. That says a great deal when many fans are mentioning it to him, as well as other issues we had.
Great. Then it sounds like we should be able to make the tournament this year. I agree with everything you're saying, but it's not difficult to institute discipline or respect within the program. That's the easy part. Normally, it's the catching up in talent that prevents teams from having success early on in a new coach's tenure. The talent is there. If Kingston is reinstituting discipline and respect like you say, then there's no reason not to make the tournament. Period.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #33
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

It honestly sounds more to me like we're just trying to lower our own expectations to protect Kingston. You can do that if you want, but 6 months ago, everybody agreed this job should not require a multi-year fix, and that instead, the pieces are already there to be successful. Is that all of a sudden not true? I'm genuinely asking. I think we were all under the impression that this team should have won last year, and that it should win this year. Did that change over the offseason?
Old 01-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #34
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
It honestly sounds more to me like we're just trying to lower our own expectations to protect Kingston. You can do that if you want, but 6 months ago, everybody agreed this job should not require a multi-year fix, and that instead, the pieces are already there to be successful. Is that all of a sudden not true? I'm genuinely asking. I think we were all under the impression that this team should have won last year, and that it should win this year. Did that change over the offseason?
How are we lowering our expectations to protect CMK when most everyone is still saying making the tournament is doable this year, and should be every year? I think you are misreading some comments, especially those that are speaking more to what they expect day in day out, year after year, and aren't simply speaking as to this season alone.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #35
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
How are we lowering our expectations to protect CMK when most everyone is still saying making the tournament is doable this year, and should be every year? I think you are misreading some comments, especially those that are speaking more to what they expect day in day out, year after year, and aren't simply speaking as to this season alone.
The way some people are talking on here makes it seem as if they don't think missing the tournament this season is a big deal. It would be a big deal. Otherwise what was the point of firing Holbrook. We could have just kept him and gotten the same result.

Talent is there. Kingston either properly manages or he doesn't. I think he will, and I think we make the tournament. But nobody should be making excuses as to why it would be ok if we missed the tournament.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #36
Spur20001
Two Deep

Male

Spur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPitSpur20001 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Who am I trying to kid? Nobody. Us not making the NCAA Tournament in baseball is like Alabama not making a bowl game. There is no way that should happen. I don’t care who is returning. The level of talent that we recruit gives us no excuses.

If you think we should miss the NCAA Tournament, that’s your opinion. I don’t think I’m asking a whole lot to say we should make the tournament at the very least though. That’s literally why Holbrook was fired.

Whoa!! I have not said anything about thinking we should not make the playoffs. Don't misquote me. You said making the playoffs was not debatable. I said we only have one returning proven quality pitcher so it is very debatable. If you think we can make the playoffs without having more than one quality pitcher you don't know anything about baseball.

We may have some very good pitchers other than Hill. I don't know nor do you. If our pitching is good we should make the playoffs, if not we will probably not. Yes, this is very debatable as to what kind of team we will have. I respect your opinion. As for myself we have lots of question marks with our pitching staff. I don't think this fact is debatable.
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #37
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Whoa!! I have not said anything about thinking we should not make the playoffs. Don't misquote me. You said making the playoffs was not debatable. I said we only have one returning proven quality pitcher so it is very debatable. If you think we can make the playoffs without having more than one quality pitcher you don't know anything about baseball.

We may have some very good pitchers other than Hill. I don't know nor do you. If our pitching is good we should make the playoffs, if not we will probably not. Yes, this is very debatable as to what kind of team we will have. I respect your opinion. As for myself we have lots of question marks with our pitching staff. I don't think this fact is debatable.
I never used quotes, relax. I'll just tell you now...missing the tournament any season for this program is unacceptable. Our rotation may be young, but they have talent. CKM and staff just need to do what good coaches do and prepare them.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #38
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 0
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sport...ebl-sched.html

First 18 games will give us a good idea...... any worse than 13-5 in that stretch and it will be difficult to make the postseason IMO.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #39
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:

I, for one, am very interested to see how our staff adjusts to a philosophy that actually goes after batters, and doesn't try to get them to chase crap pitches after getting ahead in the count 0-2. By all accounts this is the approach that CMK and CSM will be taking. I like it!
Old 01-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #40
caigmaster
Walk On

Male

caigmaster is sharpening his clawscaigmaster is sharpening his clawscaigmaster is sharpening his clawscaigmaster is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Preseason practice should be beginning anytime now, right? The season is now a month away....
January 26th is the first scrimmage.
caigmaster is offline   Reply With Quote