CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
Master Bedroom
GAMEKEM
Blitzkrieg
Three and Out
GregoryHouse
carolina_corpsman
ConwayGamecock
Milks26
gamecockphan
Laeticia Amihere Enr (340)
SEC Shorts....2018 S (232)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ AUB (159)
2020 - Jerrold Pough (155)
2020 - Vershon Lee (136)
NFL: PATRIOTS vs RAM (134)
Dumb Crook News (108)
2020 - Michael Wyman
2019 - Michel Dukes
2018 NFL Playoffs
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2022 WBB - Talaysia Coope
2019 - Jaquaze Sorrells
WBB: Leticia Amihere #2 i
*** #15/20 USC WBB (12-5,
2020 - Jerrold Pough
2020 - Vershon Lee

Old 12-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Family History / Heritage Records

Just curious to know if anyone here has had an in depth search done of your
families History (Roots)? I get into Genealogy in general occasionally and have
been interested in it since I was in my early teens. My family has a weird issue
regarding the spelling of our surname and if you do a decent search of our
family's linage, it gets skewed after a certain generation. My current immediate
family (Brothers and living Aunts and Uncles on my Dad's side) have a couple
of spelling variations of our name, and the "argument" over which way to spell
it has gone on since I was in my very early youth. Most of the family spell it
BARBREY, however, my dad and one of my Aunts spell it BARBERY.
At one point, one of my uncles decided to make a big deal out of it at a family
reunion when I was 9-10 years old. At the reunion, he passed out these small
cards that he had purchase that was SUPPOSEDLY our family crest and had
the Spelling listed as BARBREY. That was of course the way he spelled it when he
did this cheap 6 buck history check from an ad in the Greenville news in the mid
60s. It said our family was of Irish decent, and the original spelling of the name
was BARBRE. I know some people who spell their names that way, but we have
never found a connection to our short term family history. ... Anyway, my uncle
got up after we ate and put on this presentation of our family needing to unify
the Spelling of the name for legal purposes, and threw out the idea of us spelling
it REY instead of ERY. .... When he placed it for a vote, my dad (normally a
quiet man, but the oldest of his family) told my uncles, aunts and Cousins that
if they'd bother to check the family Bible that Dad (my Grandfather) wrote his,
and each of the children's names in, and if they'd check the tons of papers that
my Grandfather had signed while he was alive, they'd notice that it was spelled
BARBERY. He told the family that regardless of how they all voted to spell the
name, he was going to go to his grave with THAT spelling of the name, and he
wasn't going to change it. My uncle started to make the argument that Grandpa
was only minimally educated, and more than likely spelled the name wrong his
entire life, and that his mother (my great Grandmother) told the family that it
was misspelled throughout his life. .. My dad simply told him again, that his name
and the names of his children (my brothers) and his wife would spell it they way
his dad taught him to spell it. ........That sort of ended that unification project.

Over the years, my brothers (all three) at one time changed their spelling of it
to REY as well and all of them said that it was because they got tired of people
mispronouncing it when they read the name on paper. I however, have stayed
with the spelling that my dad used, and have never varied from it... The kicker of
all this, is that we have Cousins on my Dad's side who spell the name BARBARY.
If anyone in the upstate is familiar with Odell "Red" Barbary in the Simpsonville
area, or Eddie Barbary (Red's son) who was a Baseball player for Easley HS and
Clemson University, and later became a Football and Baseball Coach at Easley
and later the principal there before he recently died, ... Those are cousins of mine
on my Dad's side of the family. After doing some minimal research into our family
name a few years back, I found out that we definitely WERE NOT of Irish origin
but either English or French. (More than likely French) but that's where the details
get skewed. The English name was (as described on the cheap document) Barbre
and was first recorded in Leicestershire England in the late 1300s, That line of
family only have early immigrant records in the US in the 1700s, There were very
few spelling variations of that linage up until present day. However, the French
origin of the name date bay a few hundred years earlier than the English name,
and descended from a group called Berber. That translated in the English tongue
as Barber and Yes, they were a group of people who Cut hair and beards within
the village. It also translated in ancient France as "Whiskers" so could have originated
as a nickname for a person with a heavy or unusual beard. That line of family grew
and eventually settled the Normandy area of France and became very successful
and eventually a large group of the family migrated to Northern Africa and settled
along the Northern coast over several years and eventually became know to the
merchants and traders in that part of the world as The Barbary Coast, after the
name Berber / Barber took on several spelling variations as the family became
established in several different cultures. There was a few immigrants from that line
of family that came to North America settling in Canada, the area of Maryland
area of the US and heavy in the area of the US that would later become
Louisiana. The earliest of those immigrants were recorded in the Maryland area
in the early 1600s, That name was recorded as BARBARY, and took on several
variations of that spelling over the centuries Including Barbery, Barbrey, Barberry,
Barbarey etc...

Best guess is that our family (Barbery) descended from the French line that
established the civilization on the Coast of Africa and eventually migrated to the
US / Canada in the 1600s.

Last edited by Spurticus; 12-08-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default Re: Family History / Heritage Records

Have you done a DNA analysis?

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Have you done a DNA analysis?
I haven't, but that's one of the reasons I posted this thread. I'm seriously
thinking about doing it.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Definitely worth it. I and everyone I know who has done something like Ancestry has found some surprises. There are tons of holiday discounts for it now. I also use a free service that applied my raw Ancestry data to their data banks and returned a ton of stuff related to everything from predispositions to certain tastes to potential health issues.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1343234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I have as well. Was hoping to find relatives who served in civil war but no luck. I’m sur a lot on here are the opposite with many relatives who served.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Blitzkrieg
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Blitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot material

Several years ago Mrs B and I gave each other the Ancestry DNA kits for Christmas. They were on sale for $69 each.

My results were:

Ireland 25%
Europe West 25%
Great Britain 22%
Italy/Greece 12% (this was a surprise)
Scandinavia 9%

Trace Regions 6% Consisting Of:

Iberian Peninsula

Finland/NW Russia

Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 12-08-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Blitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #7
TheMule
Band

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

My Mom's maiden name was Painter. When her family came from Germany to the colonies and settled in Virginia the name was Bender. The first child born in America, George, was a Revolutionary War veteran (was at Yorktown when Cornwallis surrendered.) He later moved to Rutherford County, NC. When he applied for his pension he still had a pronounced German accent and the clerk had a hard time understanding him. He entered his last name as Painter with the notation, "These Jerman people don't know how to say Painter." There are also families in the area with the surname Panther. We all come from the Bender family tree.

If your family turns out to have Norman roots you probably have some viking blood. Dad's side originated in Normandy. Out spelling here is Gossett but there is a Gosset champagne which is still being bottled in France.

So I wouldn't worry about the spelling. If you changed the spelling would you need to get an official name change as well as change drivers license, etc? Do the DNA test.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
My Mom's maiden name was Painter. When her family came from Germany to the colonies and settled in Virginia the name was Bender. The first child born in America, George, was a Revolutionary War veteran (was at Yorktown when Cornwallis surrendered.) He later moved to Rutherford County, NC. When he applied for his pension he still had a pronounced German accent and the clerk had a hard time understanding him. He entered his last name as Painter with the notation, "These Jerman people don't know how to say Painter." There are also families in the area with the surname Panther. We all come from the Bender family tree.

If your family turns out to have Norman roots you probably have some viking blood. Dad's side originated in Normandy. Out spelling here is Gossett but there is a Gosset champagne which is still being bottled in France.

So I wouldn't worry about the spelling. If you changed the spelling would you need to get an official name change as well as change drivers license, etc? Do the DNA test.
The spelling issue in my family isn't that big a deal with me personally, it's just that I
had an uncle that years ago chose to alter the spelling that my Grandfather taught
them to spell it and then tried to get those members of his family to change the
spelling to fit his choice of the name. Years ago when I was trying to learn a little bit
about our genealogy and had gotten into reading about the basics of Heraldry and
family crests and names, I spoke with a guy in Gatlinburg who ran a business in
Knoxville that did in depth research into a family's roots. (pre DNA days). This guy
told me a lot of stuff that made me realize that I wasn't going to learn anything from
the material I was reading as to my family's true origin. What you stated above was
one of the things he told me then that made me realize modern family names MAY
not be close to what it was near the beginning of your families recorded history.
He told me that the name Brown which is a very old and Common English name, one
that the English "Elites" hold dear as one of their founding family names, and that
there are a lot of "Browns" in the US now who think they are descendants of English
Royalty. (My Mother's maiden name is Brown BTW). However, the name Brown in
the U.S. may also be from the German linage of Braun. Braun was a very common
German name, and a large group of German immigrants came to the US in it's early
stages to establish businesses here. Many foreign business owners back then changed
the spelling of their names to "fit in" to the communities they lived in. Another
common English founding father surname "SMITH" may also apply to the common
American name now, to the German family of Schmidt, or may be of English orign
but descended from the English family Smyth. Using the example this guy in Gatlinburg
told me...... This line of Smith's may have changed the spelling and pronunciation
from Smyth simply because of the people around them calling them Smith, and
spelling it that way when they were doing business in the community.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #9
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

Quote:

I spoke with this guy in Gatlinburg for a long time. He did a quick check of my name from
every link he had available there (limited compared to his business in Knoxville). He was
the guy that told me that my name was definitely not Irish (like my Uncle had told us
years ago), but from what he found there, everything pointed back to it being English,
from the line of BARBRE, but while he was looking at some of the spelling variations of
it listed in the English database for Barbre, ihe found that there was a French line in his
recordings that predated the English name and the earliest recording of the French name
was Berber (Barber by the English translation) and the common spelling variations of
that name were Barbarie, Berbery, Barbie, Barbary, Barbery, etc..... What makes me
feel like this is the line my family came from is that years later I found a family of
Barbary's online that had done an in depth study of their name, and it traced back to that
line of French origins, and that their family had migrated to the US from the Northern
Coast of Africa ( The Barbary Coast). They listed on that website Known Spellings of
the name within their family and those spellings included Barbery, Barbrey, and
Barbree. The Crest they displayed on their website was the same one this guy in
Gatlinburg showed me for the Berber family from France. According to the write up they
posted on their website, that was a very old name in France and the earliest settlement
of the Berber's was in the area that would become Normandy. That group became the
Berber / Barber family and grew into a pretty big name in French history. So much so
that many of the businesses in France had roots to the Barber family and some of those
businesses were the foundation of the settlement of the Barbary Coast. Barbary being
one of the spelling variations of Berber/Barber etc... in the beginning of the growth of
the Barbary Coast.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #10
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Allegedly a lot names that are similar names but are spelled differently were originally the same name. This was the result of misspelling at the local courthouse where census records were kept or even birth certificates where the name got written or typed wrong.

E.g: Roberson, Robinson, Robertson.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #11
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Definitely worth it. I and everyone I know who has done something like Ancestry has found some surprises.
FWIW, Ancestry.com is run by the LDS church here in SLC. I've not used it, but their geanology library is considered the world's best.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #12
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Allegedly a lot names that are similar names but are spelled differently were originally the same name. This was the result of misspelling at the local courthouse where census records were kept or even birth certificates where the name got written or typed wrong.

E.g: Roberson, Robinson, Robertson.
The majority of it from what I've read over time is just linguistics prior to the
Modern English being standardized. Before the Printing Press was invented, and
before dictionaries were written, words of any kind and especially names were
recorded basically by the way they sound. Those were recorded by the person
writing them (a lot of them which had limited education themselves). It got
even more confusing in the Medieval times. Pretty much the entire civilized
world only allowed education to those who were Rich Landowners and
Businessmen, High Standing Religious Figures or Royalty. Most of those
countries actually made it against the law to be educated.
That was one of the reasons you could tell those old "Family History" scams
were fake. A lot of those that were popular in the 50s and 60s actually came
back to the person who was scammed having Letters or actual names on
the Family Crest. No actual documented Family Seal or Crest will have
letters, numbers or written names on the crest. When names eventually had to
be recorded for legal or business purposes, much of the world was still not
educated at all, or was very "under educated". Misspellings of names (or
most all important records) was extremely common place. In the case of families
establishing themselves outside their country / place of origin, total change or
slight variations of spellings or pronunciations were not out of the ordinary.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #13
TheMule
Band

Male

TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
According to the write up they
posted on their website, that was a very old name in France and the earliest settlement
of the Berber's was in the area that would become Normandy. That group became the
Berber / Barber family and grew into a pretty big name in French history. So much so
that many of the businesses in France had roots to the Barber family and some of those
businesses were the foundation of the settlement of the Barbary Coast. Barbary being
one of the spelling variations of Berber/Barber etc... in the beginning of the growth of
the Barbary Coast.

This gives a little history of Normandy and how it came to have viking influence. King Charles grew tired of the viking raids on Paris and gave the land to Rollo in exchange for him preventing attacks on Paris by other Vikings. William the Conqueror is the great-great-great grandson of Rollo. May or may not be have anything to do with your family history but regardless it's pretty interesting history of the region. (It's the Wiki version. I'm lazy on this snowy/sleety/freezing rain kind of morning.)

"There are few contemporary mentions of Rollo. The earliest record is from 918, in a charter of Charles III to an abbey, which referred to an earlier grant to "the Normans of the Seine", namely "Rollo and his associates" for "the protection of the kingdom." [29] Dudo retrospectively stated that this pact took place in 911 at Saint-Clair-sur-Epte. In return for formal recognition of the lands he possessed, Rollo agreed to be baptised and assist the king in the defence of the realm. Rollo took the baptismal name Robert."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo

gt
Old 12-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

Quote:
This gives a little history of Normandy and how it came to have viking influence. King Charles grew tired of the viking raids on Paris and gave the land to Rollo in exchange for him preventing attacks on Paris by other Vikings. William the Conqueror is the great-great-great grandson of Rollo. May or may not be have anything to do with your family history but regardless it's pretty interesting history of the region. (It's the Wiki version. I'm lazy on this snowy/sleety/freezing rain kind of morning.)

"There are few contemporary mentions of Rollo. The earliest record is from 918, in a charter of Charles III to an abbey, which referred to an earlier grant to "the Normans of the Seine", namely "Rollo and his associates" for "the protection of the kingdom." [29] Dudo retrospectively stated that this pact took place in 911 at Saint-Clair-sur-Epte. In return for formal recognition of the lands he possessed, Rollo agreed to be baptised and assist the king in the defence of the realm. Rollo took the baptismal name Robert."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo
One of the things I get from people who I introduce myself to for the first time is jokes or
remarks asking If I have Pirates in my family history (relating to the stories of the The
Barbary Pirates). It's possible that I may have relatives who had something to do with pirates
back then, but that was the name given to the hordes of Pirates who captured and pirated
ships coming into or sailing out of the Barbary Coast ports. .... If my family actually did
originate from France and this line, It would be interesting to find out that my family roots
were not surrounded by Pirates, but may have stemmed from Vikings.

It's also interesting that if my heritage lies in the French linage, my ancestors would not
actually have anything to do with the Pirates that plundered the Barbary Coast shipping
lanes, but it was my ancestors who eventually helped to eliminate the pirating of that area.
One of the notable names from my recent family line (if it was from the French side) was
Col. Thomas Barbary. He was charged by the Early United State Navy (in it's beginning
stage) to lead the confrontation of the piracy off the coast of Africa that had grown into a
major problem worldwide over decades. It posed a major problem to the early development
of the United States who was trying to build itself into a country right after we won the
War with England and became a new Nation. Col. Barbary and his command were responsible
for helping to eliminate the acts of piracy of the African Coast. ..... Probably not part of the
decision to put Col. Barbary in charge of that command, but he was sent to defend the
area of the world that his family helped to settle.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #15
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 200
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

My sister did a lot of this recently. I have settled in Oconee County after living in Columbia most of my life until college at Wofford. My first job out of College was in Walhalla. From the first day I was here in 1993, I always felt like Walhalla was "Home". I just figured the old saying "There is just something about the Blue Ridge Mtns". It was OBVIOUSLY NOT because of Clemson. Well, when my sister do her research she found out my Great-Great Grandfather was a Methodist Minister named Fitzgerald and settled in Westminster, SC as well as served as one of their first Mayors. He is actually buried in Westminster, SC. We also found out that he married a Norris. My Grandmother was a Norris so my Grandfather and Grandmother were related, which if you are able to go back far enough you will find is not uncommon. I have always wondered if my love of living in this area was really in my DNA.

They whispered to him, "You can not withstand the storm." He whispered back, "I am the storm."

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #16
CockyCody
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 102850
CockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot materialCockyCody is USC mascot material

I can hardly wait for the Tater trolls to start commenting in this post!!!!!

CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #17
TheMule
Band

Male

One of the best things you learn from ancestry searches is the general history and how your family was impacted and involved.

Even though the surnames of my parents originated in Germany & France you can see from my DNA that it's mostly British Isles. I figure that comes from the families that have blended with my surname ancestors over time....Morgan, Godfrey, Blackwell, Harvey, etc, etc. Don't be surprised if yours looks similar as we live in a former British colony.

• British & Irish

71.0%

United Kingdom, Ireland
  • French & German

5.0%

• Scandinavian

1.4%

• Broadly Northwestern European

20.1%

• Broadly Southern European

1.1%

• Broadly European

0.9%

• Western Asian & North African

0.3%
  • Western Asian

0.2%

• Broadly Western Asian & North African

0.1%

• Sub-Saharan African

0.1%
  • Broadly Sub-Saharan African

0.1%

gt
Old 12-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #18
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
My sister did a lot of this recently. I have settled in Oconee County after living in Columbia most of my life until college at Wofford. My first job out of College was in Walhalla. From the first day I was here in 1993, I always felt like Walhalla was "Home". I just figured the old saying "There is just something about the Blue Ridge Mtns". It was OBVIOUSLY NOT because of Clemson. Well, when my sister do her research she found out my Great-Great Grandfather was a Methodist Minister named Fitzgerald and settled in Westminster, SC as well as served as one of their first Mayors. He is actually buried in Westminster, SC. We also found out that he married a Norris. My Grandmother was a Norris so my Grandfather and Grandmother were related, which if you are able to go back far enough you will find is not uncommon. I have always wondered if my love of living in this area was really in my DNA.
Never really thought about it from that perspective, and it may be nothing but personal
preference or coincidence but as far back as I can remember, even though I love going to the
beach / coast, if I have a choice in the matter, I really love the Mountains over the coast. I
wish I knew a lot more about my Grandparents on my Dad's side of the family than I do. My
Grandpa Barbery was living in Salem SC when he met my Grandma. Her maiden name
was Mosteller or Mostella (seen it spelled a few different ways). Her family lived in the
NC Mountains and moved around a lot between Edneyville, Fruitland, Owensby and
Blue Ridge NC. I'd like to know if my Grandparents were life long residence of those areas
or were just living in those areas when they met and married, or just to know more about
how they met (living that far apart), but as you said...it may be part of my DNA that gives
me my preference of the Mountains.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #19
uscgmck
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

My dad started many years ago a family tree and found that the Burdette name originated from the French Huguenots and landed in Charleston way back. They spread across mostly SC-NC-GA and a few moved farther west. His second wife **&%^&*%$ would not give us the book after his death, so all the history is lost. Some of the Burdette's changed their names to Burdett, not sure why.

uscgmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #20
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 7900000
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Always thought about doing this, but have never followed through with it.

Working in Federal Law Enforcement as I do, it just seems odd to willingly put your DNA out there. I realize that is conspiracy theory sh*t and maybe one day I will get past it.

Not that I'm advertising for any DNA kit over any other, but I did see where Ancestory is offering a Christmas Special that is only $59. That's the cheapest I have ever seen theirs.
https://www.ancestrydna.com/kits/?gc...arch+Non+Brand
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote