CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Other Gamecock Sports

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
smoovecock
CoastCocky
uscjeremynca
Cockhornleghorn
TaySC
Spurticus
Ace Dilcock
markymark550
Spur's Addiction
carolina_corpsman
Don't underestimate (2903)
WHAAAAT THE HELL???? (2063)
Final Four Rollcall (1810)
Yeah...I'm crying (1712)
Where is Baseline Je (1670)
Early line is out. (1507)
Martin has matured, (1335)
Retire #0 (1297)
Frank and team at CL (1135)
Basketball Game on B (953)
2018 MBB Zion Williamson
2017 NCAA Women's Tournam
Hey Old Timers! How does
How would you feel about
Don't underestimate Gonza
Final Four Rollcall
Yeah...I'm crying
Hype: Football title vs
ESPN the Magazine
Phoenix Meet Up

Old 09-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
scfastpitch
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material
Default Softball fall scrimmages .

I have seen 4 and a half of the 5 games played so far . I haven't had anything to say thus far because it's been hard to evaluate the team for a lot of reasons . Three of the four pitchers evidently will not pitch this fall - Jessica Elliott ( some kind of surgery on her wrist or forearm) Cayla Drotar (back problems ) and Hayley Copeland ( not sure on her ailment but it's a shame because she really needed to pitch ) . They are all supposed to be back for regular season . Drotar is not batting this fall either so this will slow her development as a hitter . Also , freshman first baseman Alexis Lindsay is still recovering from ACL surgery so she isn't dressing out . And junior 3rd baseman Kamryn Watts didn't dress out this past weekend (concussion is what I was told) .

Nickie Blue was in a walking boot at the start of fall practice but she has been able to pitch a little . She pitched two innings vs UNC the first weekend and four innings vs Charleston Southern this past Saturday . The other innings have been pitched by outfielders Kennedy Clark and Tiara Duffy . They are both left-handers and both got off to very rocky starts , but both bounced back to pitch much better , all things considered . It's possible one or both might see a few innings in the circle in the regular season .

Game scores - We actually managed to win 4 of the 5 games thus far . We got trounced by UNC as Clark started off very wild and allowed 5 runs early . That wound up an 8-0 five inning game . After that we beat UNC-G 8-7 , Presbyterian 4-3 , Charleston Southern 4-1 or 4-2, and SC State 7-3 .

Defense was very good , especially on the left side of the infield . In the outfield I think we really need Purdue transfer Lauren Stewart to win the CF job to give us more speed out there .

Being fall scrimmages , the rules are pretty relaxed and there is some experimentation . The last three innings vs SC State Coach Smith was letting sophomore catcher Alexis Hull & Juco transfer Shannon Plese bat every inning . I think she just wanted to see them bat a little more to try and get a handle on how they might contribute .

There are two more fall games - one on Oct. 9 vs Anderson at Palmetto High School and one at College of Charleston on Oct . 23 . I hope to see the CofC game .

Last edited by scfastpitch; 09-26-2016 at 08:06 AM..
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 24767468998768
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material
Default Re: Softball fall scrimmages .

Thanks for the scouting reports - hopefully a good spring to follow!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
scfastpitch
Game MVP

Male

scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material

S&F article on fall practice .

http://spursandfeathers.com/sports/s...allpractice926
Old 10-24-2016, 12:10 AM   #4
scfastpitch
Game MVP

Male

Good finish to the fall scrimmages for USC , winning a ten inning scrimmage at College of Charleston 10-4 . USC pounded out 18 hits , I think it was , with quite a few extra base hits . I recall doubles by Mackenzie Boezel , Kennedy Clark , Taylor Williams and a few others , and leadoff hitter Kamryn Watts was on base all day with 3 or 4 hits .

Jessica Elliott , returning from some minor surgery (wrist or forearm) was able to pitch for the first time this fall . She had three really good shutout innings , then seemed to tire a little in her fourth inning and got a little wild and sloppy and allowed two runs . Very encouraging performance from her though since she hadn't pitched in a while .

Nickie Blue was not able to pitch , as she finally had to have surgery on the foot that had been bothering her for a while . As far as I know , she is expected to recover in time to pitch this season .

Outfielders Kennedy Clark & Tiarra Duffy (maybe I should label them both pitcher/outfielder now ) pitched three innings each . Clark allowed two runs and Duffy finished the game with three shutout innings .

Also the USC 2017 schedule is at the link below , and it may be the toughest schedule we have had since Beverly Smith arrived . Extremely tough conference slate , plus non-conference games with Texas, Arizona State, UCLA and Florida State . Scroll down to 02/10/17 .

http://www.gamecocksoftball.com/schedule
Old 10-24-2016, 01:02 AM   #5
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 189045
Copperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot material

Dang, I was right beside there running my dog. I could tell something was going on at the softball field with the scoreboard lit up. Wish I had known it was us.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #6
scfastpitch
Game MVP

Male

A women's soccer match between CofC and William & Mary was going on when we arrived , and they kept the little concession stand open for the softball scrimmage . I was surprised to see beer listed as one of the items for sale . The concession lady told me they sell beer at pretty much everything they play at Patriot's Point - baseball , softball , soccer , etc. I didn't realize that . No one was drinking beer at the softball scrimmage . I didn't go into the stands of the soccer match to see if anyone was drinking beer over there . Just curious - do they sell beer at the basketball arena ?