CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
cockinraleigh
gotrice?
CockNJersey
RGHoskins
gsgp
Captain9Dragons
USCharleston2
JerseyBird
Blitzkrieg
GamecockUltimate
What do you need to (1211)
Qb's under pressure (865)
Garnet helmets and j (827)
Jake Bentley analysi (525)
Nebraska Fired Shawn (470)
Arkansas Kick Time (376)
Week 4 College Footb (253)
***Ace Of Spades - M (165)
***Wildfire - Equest (158)
Fall Softball 2017 (153)
Crowd Against La Tech
Qb's under pressure SEC
Garnet helmets and jersey
Name a Gamecock
2017 High School Football
2018 Commitment - RJ Rode
***Volvo Driving Soccer M
2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
Why SC and Kurt Roper Sho
Jake Bentley analysis

Old 03-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
BigSpenda864
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 466
BigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his comb
Default Soap Opera Effect

So in my quest to update my audio visual gear at home, I took out my good, old plasma and old receiver. I hung a new Samsung 4k smart tv and installed a new receiver with bluetooth, 4k, etc. So far I am very happy with the setup however...

Now I have the dreaded soap opera effect while watching many shows. I have been playing with the settings on the tv and it is driving me nuts to get the best picture. I have researched it on the web but cannot get it right.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2400200
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material
Default Re: Soap Opera Effect

Try lowering the dynamic contrast and turn off auto-motion plus. Its the 120Hz or higher refresh rate causing it.
hank scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Try not watching so many soap operas
Old 03-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
G&B
time for a joyride...

Male

G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

This may fill in the blanks for some...

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-th...-opera-effect/
Old 03-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #5
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Some TV's have the 24fps feature. I think Sony has it on all or most of their TV's, if you're having issues something tells me you either have to turn it on, don't know if Samsung has that feature. You can also adjust the settings of picture mode to Movie, if it's available as well, to see if that helps.

Btw didn't realize how cheap 4k HDR tv's have gotten over the past year, might plunge into getting one for the bedroom.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Should have just kept the plasma!
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 42320
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

im getting old. i remember getting a harmon kardon pro logic receiver. spent $400 and 2 months later dolby digital came on the scene. man was that shot in the gut.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
BigSpenda864
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 466
BigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Should have just kept the plasma!
I didn't get rid of it, I just replaced my main tv with the new one. You cannot beat the picture on my plasma no doubt about that.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
im getting old. i remember getting a harmon kardon pro logic receiver. spent $400 and 2 months later dolby digital came on the scene. man was that shot in the gut.
Now we have Atmos and DTS:X

Old 03-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #10
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpenda864 View Post
I didn't get rid of it, I just replaced my main tv with the new one. You cannot beat the picture on my plasma no doubt about that.
I love mine. I won't be replacing it till it dies. When I do it will probably be with an OLED.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

CockyCash: 3400
nin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot materialnin_usc_freak92 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I love mine. I won't be replacing it till it dies. When I do it will probably be with an OLED.
OLED is certainly the future. I'm a little cautious in regards to investing in early HDR formats - if you can afford to wait and let the format war play out, I would. The only people that I can understand chomping at the bit to upgrade right now are people that are capable of taking advantage of a 4k HDR signal.

HDR10 is the market standard at the moment, but Dolby Vision has some exclusive support (looking @ you Vudu) and there are a couple of other new formats (but mostly, if not completely, unused right now) being introduced in some 2017 models this year (the 2017 LG OLED lineup is the main one I've looked at so far).
Old 03-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #12
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by nin_usc_freak92 View Post
OLED is certainly the future. I'm a little cautious in regards to investing in early HDR formats - if you can afford to wait and let the format war play out, I would. The only people that I can understand chomping at the bit to upgrade right now are people that are capable of taking advantage of a 4k HDR signal.

HDR10 is the market standard at the moment, but Dolby Vision has some exclusive support (looking @ you Vudu) and there are a couple of other new formats (but mostly, if not completely, unused right now) being introduced in some 2017 models this year (the 2017 LG OLED lineup is the main one I've looked at so far).
Oh, I am in no rush to upgrade. From where I sit, approx. 13' away, my calibrated plasma has incredible picture quality and outside of OLED incredible contrast. I really have no need to upgrade until this one conks out or they start offering 4K HDR content over the air.

I am really more of a sound quality guy than a picture quality guy anyways.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #13
usc_yogi
Two Deep

Male

usc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPitusc_yogi rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpenda864 View Post
So in my quest to update my audio visual gear at home, I took out my good, old plasma and old receiver. I hung a new Samsung 4k smart tv and installed a new receiver with bluetooth, 4k, etc. So far I am very happy with the setup however...

Now I have the dreaded soap opera effect while watching many shows. I have been playing with the settings on the tv and it is driving me nuts to get the best picture. I have researched it on the web but cannot get it right.
My cousin's tv does that and it is annoying for me personally to watch. I thought it was his tv and didn't know it had a name that people called it. Im stil l rocking the 720p LCD as my main tv. I am too cheap to upgrade right now.
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #14
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Oh, I am in no rush to upgrade. From where I sit, approx. 13' away, my calibrated plasma has incredible picture quality and outside of OLED incredible contrast. I really have no need to upgrade until this one conks out or they start offering 4K HDR content over the air.

I am really more of a sound quality guy than a picture quality guy anyways.
yeah i still have plasma as my main screen. Waiting for OLED to come down some more.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote