CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeCocky2001
gotrice?
2k15
Ace Dilcock
6pack
TAFC 5 1981
GamecockSuperFan
TaySC
ShutTheSuccop
STR82HELL
2018 WBB - Cate Rees (317)
Michigander can't wa (256)
2019 - Akeem Dent (227)
Darius Rucker Gets S (221)
2019 - Jeremiah Payt (206)
Skynyrd Biopic (159)
Chris Pine's New Rol (88)
Muschamp: Only going to
*** 2017 Carolina Panther
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
NFL Draft 2017
2018 - Dax Hollifield
2018 - Tyler Shough
Who starts at cornerback?
Biggest Impact Player com
2018 WBB - Cate Reese - F
2018 WBB - Rhyne Howard -

Old 10-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material
Default 2018 WBB - NaLyssa Smith - forward

ESPN's #4 prospect in the 2018 class and the #1 forward. A very quick and athletic stretch 4 type forward with deep range. She's 6'4", but freakishly athletic.. she can handle the ball, push in transition, hit pull up jumpers and threes.. and still has a developing back to the basket game. Post players being able to handle the ball is the future of the position and Smith is the prototype.

Being recruited by most of the big schools, recently trimmed her list to 9 and will likely drop to an even smaller list of schools in a few months or so. I think it's interesting that after not originally making the cut, SC was added to her top 9.

Dawn will likely host Smith on an unofficial visit some time this season and will make a home visit in the spring.

ESPN

"Versatile recruit NaLyssa Smith has been wowing fans for years"
DorchesterGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Ahmad
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2359700828
Ahmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 WBB - NaLyssa Smith - forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorchesterGamecock View Post
ESPN's #4 prospect in the 2018 class and the #1 forward. A very quick and athletic stretch 4 type forward with deep range. She's 6'4", but freakishly athletic.. she can handle the ball, push in transition, hit pull up jumpers and threes.. and still has a developing back to the basket game. Post players being able to handle the ball is the future of the position and Smith is the prototype.

Being recruited by most of the big schools, recently trimmed her list to 9 and will likely drop to an even smaller list of schools in a few months or so. I think it's interesting that after not originally making the cut, SC was added to her top 9.

Dawn will likely host Smith on an unofficial visit some time this season and will make a home visit in the spring.

ESPN

"Versatile recruit NaLyssa Smith has been wowing fans for years"
You think she makes it out of Texas?
Ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
allnet43
Walk On

Male

allnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his claws

Nalyssa is "the forward" we should go all out to get. She would fit into the double post system Dawn likes, but we'll need to sign a post in this class too. Besides this and maybe more importantly is her ability to shoot from the arc; which makes her a natural fit into the motion style offensive system (4 out 1 in) that we've run with some success in games this season. She is the type of special player you can build around. There is a short clip of her on YouTube showing some of her skill set, just search her name. Probably tough to get her out of Texas, but worth the time & effort.
allnet43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #4
Ahmad
Bowl MVP

Male

Ahmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnet43 View Post
Nalyssa is "the forward" we should go all out to get. She would fit into the double post system Dawn likes, but we'll need to sign a post in this class too. Besides this and maybe more importantly is her ability to shoot from the arc; which makes her a natural fit into the motion style offensive system (4 out 1 in) that we've run with some success in games this season. She is the type of special player you can build around. There is a short clip of her on YouTube showing some of her skill set, just search her name. Probably tough to get her out of Texas, but worth the time & effort.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:19 PM   #5
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
One of my favorite videos of her.

I agree, I think she needs to be our number 1 focus for the class of 2018..

If I could build my dream class for 2018 I would take Nelson-Ododa, Smith, Williams and Henderson..

But there's no possible way we get 3 of the top 4 recruits lol... so I would take Smith for sure and probably Henderson/Scott-Grayson at PG, a center for sure and a hot shooting wing (Rhyne Howard/Elizabeth Balogun/Christyn Williams)..

We likely need a point guard (didn't take one in 2017 although Troup is a 2/1 guard), we DEFINITELY need a Center and a PF.. that's three schollies right there, the last schollie can probably go to the best of what's available. My pick would be a very good shooting wing.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
Ahmad
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
One of my favorite videos of her.

I agree, I think she needs to be our number 1 focus for the class of 2018..

If I could build my dream class for 2018 I would take Nelson-Ododa, Smith, Williams and Henderson..

But there's no possible way we get 3 of the top 4 recruits lol... so I would take Smith for sure and probably Henderson/Scott-Grayson at PG, a center for sure and a hot shooting wing (Rhyne Howard/Elizabeth Balogun/Christyn Williams)..

We likely need a point guard (didn't take one in 2017 although Troup is a 2/1 guard), we DEFINITELY need a Center and a PF.. that's three schollies right there, the last schollie can probably go to the best of what's available. My pick would be a very good shooting wing.
Out of those 4 which do you believe our chances are the best with?
Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Out of those 4 which do you believe our chances are the best with?
Destanni Henderson probably. She's one of the few recruits that South Carolina did a home visit for during the fall (Jazmine Massengill being another), so that tells you that Dawn wants an elite point guard in this class... the good thing is that we're in pursuit of three really good point guards.. Destanni Henderson, Honesty Scott-Grayson and Jazmine Massengill and I feel good about getting at least one of them. They all bring something different to the table as well.. Henderson is smaller and more of a combo guard (think Cuevas) but is super fast, an elite dribbler and an elite scorer and can score off the dribble and catch/shoot, Scott-Grayson is a little bigger at 5'10 (think Tiffany Mitchell) and a true point guard (distributor) but can put up offense as well, Massengill is very tall for a point guard at 6'0 (think Allisha Gray) with crazy athleticism and so disruptive with great length in the backcourt. She's so smooth, finesse like in her game. You know how PJ Dozier is a size mismatch at PG for our men's team... Massengill would be the same for the women's team.

With that being said, I don't think PG is a crushing need in this class... sure we should sign one if these three really good point guards are interested in us, but we have some big needs elsewhere at the forward spots. Alaina Coates will be a BIG loss for us after this season, and Wilson the next.. I think a 4 or 5 forward rotation is ideal.

For 2017-2018 our forwards will be:
C - Alexis Jennings
PF - A'ja Wilson
PF - Mikiah Harrigan
PF - LaDazhia Williams
(So we lose Coates, but we actually gain 1 more body in the Forward rotation.. and yes Williams will play next year, just like Harrigan this year)

For 2018-2019:
C - Alexis Jennings
PF - Mikiah Harrigan
PF - LaDazhia Williams
C - Olivia Nelson Ododa? Danielle Cosgrove? Elissa Cunane?
PF - NaLyssa Smith?

If we can get either Nelson-Ododa (she's close being from Georgia) or Elissa Cunane (right in our recruiting backyard with SC's growing presence in NC) I think we're set at Center. Another 5 prospect I would like to see us get involved with is Olivia Owens from NY. She is very Coates like down low.

Smith seems to be the only big time power forward we're recruiting... I think she's a long shot but I would be ecstatic if she came to SC. She's a mismatch at her position in every way possible, she's a superb dribbler, passer and scorer for a forward.. and her athleticism is off the charts. She would give us a completely new look at PF. One thing I'm noticing.. with Harrigan, Williams and now Smith, is that Dawn is going for the athletic stretch-4 heading into the future. Imani Lewis from New Jersey and Elizabeth Dixon from Tennessee are other power forwards that I think we should keep our eyes on.

Last edited by DorchesterGamecock; 01-11-2017 at 12:56 PM..
Old 01-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #8
allnet43
Walk On

Male

allnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his claws

DorchesterGamecock,
I like your "dream class" and I too think our best chance is landing Henderson. My concern here is that Ty Harris will be just be a junior and I'm not sure how a top recruit will feel waiting 2 years to take over. As you said it's not a pressing need as Ty looks pretty solid, but if one wants to come great.

There is a big guard in Ga that plays for Our Lady of Mercy HS; she reminds me a lot of K Davis, same size and skill set named Morgan Jones rated #19 espnW. Hope we're looking at her..... Georgia is a state that we should really recruit hard, it produces a lot of talented players with the added benefit that it's close enough for family to attend games here & Conference away games. There's a 3 minute YouTube video of her playing that shows what she can do. I couldn't find anything on where she's considering.......
Old 02-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

According to this article, Smith has narrowed down to Baylor, Connecticut, Kansas, Louisville, Ohio State and West Virginia.

https://prospectsnation.com/story/pl...-nalyssa-smith

UPDATE: Smith just tweeted that she's still considering all nine previously mentioned schools... so SC, Texas and Texas Tech have not been cut.

Last edited by DorchesterGamecock; 02-06-2017 at 08:56 PM..
Old 02-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #10
Ahmad
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
According to this article, Smith has narrowed down to Baylor, Connecticut, Kansas, Louisville, Ohio State and West Virginia.

https://prospectsnation.com/story/pl...-nalyssa-smith

UPDATE: Smith just tweeted that she's still considering all nine previously mentioned schools... so SC, Texas and Texas Tech have not been cut.
Are you SC WBB News?
Old 02-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #11
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Are you SC WBB News?
Yes! In the flesh!
Old 02-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #12
ChunkSnackwell
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
ChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot material

Quote:
Are you SC WBB News?
He is -- and it is greatly appreciated.
ChunkSnackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #13
Ahmad
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Yes! In the flesh!
Reason I asked was because I search and saw where she clarified that she was still considering us then I saw someone with a twitter handle @ SC WBB News lol
Old 02-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #14
Ahmad
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkSnackwell View Post
He is -- and it is greatly appreciated.
I most definitely appreciate it because it's hard to find WBB recruiting news compared to other sports.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:17 PM   #15
TaySC
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 0
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Lots of great info here..... appreciate it!

TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #16
allnet43
Walk On

Male

So glad to see we're still on the list; its important to keep pace with other programs talent wise.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #17
meesh982000
4-Star

Female

meesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talonsmeesh982000 has developed his gaff and talons

Entire coaching staff had a in-home visit.
http://twitter.com/Nikitas40/status/841038719587090432
meesh982000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #18
TaySC
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 0
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Nice!
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #19
FLgamecockJAX
Blue Chip

Male

FLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spursFLgamecockJAX has earned his spurs

I hope we gained some traction with this young lady!
FLgamecockJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #20
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgamecockJAX View Post
I hope we gained some traction with this young lady!
She was one of the recruits most excited about last night. She retweeted a lot of pro-Gamecock stuff.

She even picked SC to win it all in her bracket from the start of the tournament.

This title is just something else to show to recruits that "yes, come here, it can be done at South Carolina"..