CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
SwampFox
Three and Out
CoastCocky
Ironfan
Gamecocks1137
gotrice?
sandstorm2001
Captain9Dragons
The Yancey
JerseyBird
Any word on who the (1161)
Apathy (587)
Friendship Or Politi (301)
25 Pictures that Sho (194)
Blaze Pizza (170)
Inspiration from Spo (161)
2018 - Ernest Jones
Former Players In Coachin
NCAA Staff Size Legislati
Blaze Pizza
Who starts at cornerback?
Inspiration from Sports
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2018 WBB - Aquira DeCosta
2018 - Dorian Thompson-Ro
**GAME #3 (24-14) vs. Flo

Old 03-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
CoastCocky
Game MVP

Female

CockyCash: 500
CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material
Default Good read on Chip Kelly

The most interesting part to me is the statement " Kelly quickly realized that having a true “dual threat” quarterback at the NFL level was a virtual impossibility – game speed and injury being the primary factors."

The article mainly highlights just how different the college and NFL games are. In short: drastically different. Almost not even the same game.

I still think Kelly would be a fantastic pickup for someone as an offensive analyst or something along those lines. He's otherwise not going to be in coaching this year. Would be a good way for him to take a step small step back into coaching.

http://fishduck.com/2017/03/catch-a-...w-chip-kelley/
CoastCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Good read on Chip Kelly

He needs to swallow the pride and admit he is not an NFL head coach.

He'll probably wait for Tennessee or Texas A&M to open up after this season.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
GamecockSuperFan
Gun N' Run

Male

CockyCash: 666
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
He needs to swallow the pride and admit he is not an NFL head coach.

He'll probably wait for Tennessee or Texas A&M to open up after this season.
And he's going to be a happy camper again when all the sudden all his offensive genius starts to work at the college level. It's been so long since he's had success, he might came back to the college game even better. Unless the NFL ruined his scheme. Which is sort of what happened to spurrier after his NFL stint.defenses figured out the tendencies of his protection and spurrier could only yell "get rid of it!" As his QBs had pressure in there face every pass.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
CoastCocky
Game MVP

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

The NFL does love to recycle coaches, but I can't imagine him ever getting another shot. His offense was exposed badly. It's amazing how something that worked so nearly flawlessly at the college level was a total fail in the pros. I can only see him getting another shot in the NFL if he goes back to college and lights it up again for several years. Some desperate NFL team probably wouldn't be able to resist. But he clearly belongs in college.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

It really surprised me when he got a shot in the NFL, no way that offense works in the pros...Even when Oregon played teams with good defensive players and coaches they didnt score at will by no means...That should have shown NFL owners it would not work...
Old 03-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 600
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
It really surprised me when he got a shot in the NFL, no way that offense works in the pros...Even when Oregon played teams with good defensive players and coaches they didnt score at will by no means...That should have shown NFL owners it would not work...
His offense was built on weak PAC 12 defenses. Also I think he needed an organization willing to treat the QB like a RB. Have 3 athletes, pay them much less and expect them to be done by the age of 30. They needed to be willing to use the Tyrod Taylors of the world and not try to get the big names.
Lalli25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #7
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
Which is sort of what happened to spurrier after his NFL stint.defenses figured out the tendencies of his protection and spurrier could only yell "get rid of it!" As his QBs had pressure in there face every pass.

It's a game of constant adjustments, especially at the highest level. It's easy to overlook how smart some of those defenses are in the NFL.

The speed, smarts, and athleticism of the avg. NFL defense leaves little room for error. Even the most innovative offenses, are not immune to getting figured out...check 2nd half of most recent SB.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
His offense was built on weak PAC 12 defenses. Also I think he needed an organization willing to treat the QB like a RB. Have 3 athletes, pay them much less and expect them to be done by the age of 30. They needed to be willing to use the Tyrod Taylors of the world and not try to get the big names.
...Yep, but I do think that Kelly wanted his offenses to look more like klempzuns to be honest. But he just could not quite get a QB to stand back in the pocket to pass more. It was so easy to move the ball like they did against Pac 12 defenses and that hurt them when they played a couple of the big boys. They only scored 17 and 20 points against OSU and 19 against AllBarn..
Old 03-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
longhaul
Recruit

Male

longhaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudlylonghaul is crowing loudly

I just love watching the guys at ESPN walk it back after many of them said he was going to revolutionize offense in the NFL. Too much speed on the defense for this type of offense to be sustainable. After a little film study by DC's he was exposed. Dual threat quarterback seem to last about 3 years in the NFL and then they either learn to stand in the pocket and pass more or they end up on the bench or out of the league. The ones the do evolve run smart and only when they need to. A system predicated on a duel threat quarterback not gonna work.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 600
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
I just love watching the guys at ESPN walk it back after many of them said he was going to revolutionize offense in the NFL. Too much speed on the defense for this type of offense to be sustainable. After a little film study by DC's he was exposed. Dual threat quarterback seem to last about 3 years in the NFL and then they either learn to stand in the pocket and pass more or they end up on the bench or out of the league. The ones the do evolve run smart and only when they need to. A system predicated on a duel threat quarterback not gonna work.
I think the rules in the NFL also causes issues. In college the refs set the ball for you faster and their is far less restrictions on how the O can line up. Lastly, having unlimited time to prepare for the O helps so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
...Yep, but I do think that Kelly wanted his offenses to look more like klempzuns to be honest. But he just could not quite get a QB to stand back in the pocket to pass more. It was so easy to move the ball like they did against Pac 12 defenses and that hurt them when they played a couple of the big boys. They only scored 17 and 20 points against OSU and 19 against AllBarn..
I agree. I think any logical OC of a spread, like Rich Rod, would prefer to have guys like that. I think as the spread becomes more common in all levels, you'll see an improvement on running QB's throwing skills.
Lalli25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
HHess
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 7382143
HHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudly

I hope Lane Kiffin hires him. That would be awesome to watch them both kill each other and explode over who's the boss
Old 03-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #12
uscjeremynca
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 590
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
The NFL does love to recycle coaches, but I can't imagine him ever getting another shot. His offense was exposed badly. It's amazing how something that worked so nearly flawlessly at the college level was a total fail in the pros. I can only see him getting another shot in the NFL if he goes back to college and lights it up again for several years. Some desperate NFL team probably wouldn't be able to resist. But he clearly belongs in college.
Not a surprise at all. All the top QBs this year for the draft played in similar offenses to Kelly. And the consensus is that none of them are NFL ready. These offenses do succeed in college but do nothing for preparing these QBs for the NFL.
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
CoastCocky
Game MVP

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Not a surprise at all. All the top QBs this year for the draft played in similar offenses to Kelly. And the consensus is that none of them are NFL ready. These offenses do succeed in college but do nothing for preparing these QBs for the NFL.
Yeah, I don't think it's surprising necessarily. I do still just find amazing how different the college and NFL games are. It's interesting to me a that a system that's SO successful in college could be equally disastrous in the NFL. It's nothing particularly new, as we've seen things from college to try and be implemented before. Nevertheless, it still just amazes me at the gap between the two. The dual threat QB is used in college specifically to offset faster defenses, but in the NFL the defenses are so fast that even a dual threat QB can't compensate for it.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #14
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
... but in the NFL the defenses are so fast that even a dual threat QB can't compensate for it.
To some degree. The NFL has "mobile" QBs...not really dual threat as in option based offenses. Although there are NFL teams that occasionally run zone-read plays.
Guys like Cam Newton, RWilson, ARodgers, and even Drew Brees are mobile guys who are able to "extend" plays with their legs. But they also have big time arms and are very accurate passers.

One of the problems someone like Kelly would have, is the guy that fits his offense, does not fit the league. If Kelly had Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers, what would he do with them? The ability to be an elite passer has to be paramount in the NFL.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote