CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
carolina_corpsman
jseal777
CapitolCock
TastyLicks
Master Bedroom
Blitzkrieg
Wisercock
Y Formation
Lonnie
Saturday was not a g (2270)
Can Wolf Get us Back (1272)
Offensive Thoughts (1106)
My take on the Kentu (725)
Why SC and Kurt Rope (656)
Today's Weekly Press (348)
Chicken Curse Alive (321)
What was your origin (303)
Byron Cowart - Trans (241)
Letter to Fans from (193)
Letter to Fans from Ray T
Why SC and Kurt Roper Sho
How Was the DJ?
Offensive Thoughts
Chicken Curse Alive And W
Today's Weekly Presser w/
Smooth Coaching Transitio
Ole Miss Rebels could swa
Saturday was not a good d
What was your original pr

Old 01-18-2017, 11:38 PM   #41
Dcpatriot
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dcpatriot has hatched from the shell
Default Re: 2017 - Zach Brown - C

Doesn't seem to be able to make a clean getaway
Dcpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:39 PM   #42
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea1971 View Post
Well, after all of the previous drama, and then Zach signing a LOI with St. Johns, THIS happens...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...icle-1.2949698

IDK if Frank would still chase this kid or not. He's a freakin' stud, but man... talk about stupid decisions.

Such a shame... Zach has NBA written all over him, talent-wise.
Don't know how St. Johns accepted his LOI after his first arrest for armed robbery posted above. But Frank won't chase this kid unless he still has eligibility after he gets out of jail: we don't have any scholarships left for next season anyways....
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:45 PM   #43
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

Anybody want their kid on the same campus as this kid?
Old 01-18-2017, 11:47 PM   #44
doublea1971
Hoops Fanatic

Male

doublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Don't know how St. Johns accepted his LOI after his first arrest for armed robbery posted above. But Frank won't chase this kid unless he still has eligibility after he gets out of jail: we don't have any scholarships left for next season anyways....
Nobody else is going to take a chance on him (he's on strike #3), unless he finds a CC that wants him. As far as the scholly thing goes, he most certainly could find a home here as a walk-on and earn that scholly the following year.

I'm not saying we SHOULD chase him, but for crying out loud... this kid was one of the two top centers for his class in the country before he started getting back into trouble. He's got size, he's got incredible ball handling and shooting skills. UGH... I just hate it that he decided St. Johns was a good spot to land instead of coming and playing for Coach Frank Martin, who makes a living out of helping guys like him become better men.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:46 AM   #45
USCharleston2
Veteran

Male

CockyCash: 450
USCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPitUSCharleston2 rules the CockPit

Wow! What a complete waste of talent. He had an opportunity to pull himself out of whatever situation he may have been in at home but chose to carry it wherever he went. I've read about athletes with immense talent on the field/court that went home to an empty refrigerator or no lights. There are those who chose to hang with the wrong people. I pray this guy finds his way and become a productive citizen.
USCharleston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #46
doublea1971
Hoops Fanatic

Male

doublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Well, after all of the previous drama, and then Zach signing a LOI with St. Johns, THIS happens...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...icle-1.2949698

IDK if Frank would still chase this kid or not. He's a freakin' stud, but man... talk about stupid decisions.

Such a shame... Zach has NBA written all over him, talent-wise.
Quote:
So I decided to look into the Florida laws for the misdemeanor that he is charged with (first-degree petit theft misdemeanor). It would appear that IF he is convicted of the offense, it carries a maximum of 1 year in jail (from Florida State Statutes, 775.082). Zach is, of course, also facing counts of driving with a suspended license and an expired tag.

I'm inclined to believe that although this is Zach's 2nd time in front of a Florida judge in the last 8 months, as he was charged with credit card fraud and robbery in Miami back in May of 2016, he might actually NOT be given any jail time this time either.

I know I sound crazy saying this, especially after the team debacle last year with Eric Cobb, Jamall Gregory, Marcus Stroman, and Raymond Doby. I honestly think that Zach could thrive in a city like Columbia, where it's a more "tight knit" community, and he could be held more accountable than he was in either Miami or the NYC area. We've got a really unique environment here at the University, and as long as Zach can be convinced to stay away from the "bad elements" in his life, I think his skillset is worth the downside of his behavior issues.

I realize that the fan base here is going to eat me alive for saying those things, especially given all of the guys that Frank kicked off of the team in the last few years AND had the Sindarius Thornwell suspension this year. But I'm just trying to point to the fact that Zach really seems like a redeemable kid. He's simply someone who has lived a REALLY rough life and doesn't have the ethical moorings of most of the population. I think tough love from Frank Martin could/would be a step in the right direction for Zach as a person, and a HUGE step in the right direction for continuing to build things here at South Carolina.

OK... I'll leave the thread to die a quiet death now (at least until more Zach Brown news comes along months from now).
Old 01-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #47
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

Quote:
So I decided to look into the Florida laws for the misdemeanor that he is charged with (first-degree petit theft misdemeanor). It would appear that IF he is convicted of the offense, it carries a maximum of 1 year in jail (from Florida State Statutes, 775.082). Zach is, of course, also facing counts of driving with a suspended license and an expired tag.

I'm inclined to believe that although this is Zach's 2nd time in front of a Florida judge in the last 8 months, as he was charged with credit card fraud and robbery in Miami back in May of 2016, he might actually NOT be given any jail time this time either.

I know I sound crazy saying this, especially after the team debacle last year with Eric Cobb, Jamall Gregory, Marcus Stroman, and Raymond Doby. I honestly think that Zach could thrive in a city like Columbia, where it's a more "tight knit" community, and he could be held more accountable than he was in either Miami or the NYC area. We've got a really unique environment here at the University, and as long as Zach can be convinced to stay away from the "bad elements" in his life, I think his skillset is worth the downside of his behavior issues.

I realize that the fan base here is going to eat me alive for saying those things, especially given all of the guys that Frank kicked off of the team in the last few years AND had the Sindarius Thornwell suspension this year. But I'm just trying to point to the fact that Zach really seems like a redeemable kid. He's simply someone who has lived a REALLY rough life and doesn't have the ethical moorings of most of the population. I think tough love from Frank Martin could/would be a step in the right direction for Zach as a person, and a HUGE step in the right direction for continuing to build things here at South Carolina.

OK... I'll leave the thread to die a quiet death now (at least until more Zach Brown news comes along months from now).
Not trying to be a jerk. Your info is always awesome. But do you have a kid, and if so, how would you feel about your kid being on the same campus, potentially living in the same hall as a kid who allegedly committed armed robbery?
Old 01-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #48
doublea1971
Hoops Fanatic

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyDevil View Post
Not trying to be a jerk. Your info is always awesome. But do you have a kid, and if so, how would you feel about your kid being on the same campus, potentially living in the same hall as a kid who allegedly committed armed robbery?
Thanks CockyDevil, and that's a valid question that I saw you asked earlier in the thread.

I'm in a unique situation right now, in that I DO live on campus in a dorm facility WITH my family (which includes two young daughters under the age of 10) and am surrounded (literally) by hundreds of 17-21 year olds. I do not fear at all for my daughters safety, despite the fact that there are parties and other opportunities for troubling things to happen all around them. The students that live here around us are quite respectful of young children (watching what they say or do, if they know that my girls are nearby).

I say all of that to note to you that despite Zach's discipline issues with robbery, fraud, driving with suspended license, etc. I TRULY think he's a good kid at heart, who is getting a LOT of conflicting messages, and I would not have any qualms about him being a part of my family's life. Go back and watch the video in the first post of the thread. Note how he behaves with his adopted Jewish family. Note how he behaves with his real family (mother/aunt/grandfather). Zach's been getting some very BAD advice along the way. He's just like any other kid who grows up in his situation... he makes life choices based on what he KNOWS. And unfortunately (and I say that with no malice or intended implications for those who live in similar circumstances), Zach knows the projects.

I know of a number of kids who live here on campus with me and my family who have a similar background to Zach's (although probably with a little less intensity) and they are AWESOME people. Do they slip up occasionally? Sure. So, apparently, did Sindarius Thornwell. The attitude that these kind of youth are destined to be thugs and create havoc all around them is simply looking at things through a certain set of lenses that I happen to disagree with.

I'm not a "pie in the sky" kind of person... I'm not naive enough to think that Zach's not going to have his issues if he WERE to come to USC. But I think that in this smaller city environment (as compared to Miami or NYC) and given certain supervision, Zach would not be as inclined to find himself with an unregistered weapon or with the desire to reach into a cash register and steal money. If the environment reinforces bad behavior, the person still has to choose to behave badly (which Zach has obviously done), and it's MUCH easier to behave badly. But if the environment reinforces GOOD behavior, a person is less likely to consistently choose the bad behavior. Consistency in good habits can change habitual bad decisions and lifestyles.

I hope all of this LONG answer to a very short question makes sense.

I, personally, would love to see Zach get that true second chance in life, and be able to move forward to a long a prosperous NBA career. Guys like him who finally "get it" (mentally/intellectually) can make a huge difference to other kids who cannot easily escape their poverty and circumstances. Motivation and desire goes a long way to keeping kids off of the streets and moving in a positive direction.

I'll leave you with this video, which I think exemplifies what happens when people invest in the lives of young kids in bad situations. It's not a basketball-related piece, but it sure does speak to what one person can do to change a culture.

https://youtu.be/iN6gKAfEwZ8
Old 01-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #49
Sides
Recruit

Male

Sides is sharpening his clawsSides is sharpening his clawsSides is sharpening his clawsSides is sharpening his claws

Quote:
I read the article and I don't see where is says ARMED robbery. The cash drawer was open and he reached in and took money. Not saying it is right but there is a big difference in armed robbery.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #50
doublea1971
Hoops Fanatic

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
I read the article and I don't see where is says ARMED robbery. The cash drawer was open and he reached in and took money. Not saying it is right but there is a big difference in armed robbery.
His first arrest included armed robbery initially (although I think that charge was eventually dropped). (Details were sketchy in terms of whom the gun belonged to/was registered to, and who else might have been involved in the incident).

Here's the Metro Dade Police incident report from the arrest last year (which includes the ARMED ROBBERY charges)...

http://egvsys.metro-dade.com:1608/ww...AMMA=17&DELTA=
Old 04-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #51
walk.daddy
sings for money

Male

CockyCash: 533
walk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot material

247 posted an article today saying we were the favorite to land him in the early signing period, any chance he ends up here?
walk.daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #52
92Pony
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 920476
92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material

If anyone can fix him, CFM can. And if he's too problematic, we know CFM won't hesitate to cut bait. Come on in Mr. Brown. Keep your nose clean and play some bball!!
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #53
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk.daddy View Post
247 posted an article today saying we were the favorite to land him in the early signing period, any chance he ends up here?
That's based on the CBs. The last CB we received was July 2016. We may lead in the CBs but the reality is no one really knows at this point as he was formerly a St John's commitment and de-committed in January after running into some trouble, seemed to be a mutual parting of ways.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #54
Take-a-Knee
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

https://youtu.be/T_QWAmXbnfY
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #55
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 840
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

We are pretty deep at Center with Kotsar and the two seven footers, plus Silva can play there. Plus we are over the scholarship limit already, and this guy has problem written all over him.

I think we are done unless Dozier leaves. If that happens, I can see us picking up a graduate transfer or JUCO to help at Guard, with Tut (playing time - we have plenty of bigs next year and he did not play last year when we did not have enough) or Blanton (medical) leaving. If Blanton is capable of playing, I can see him staying since he is a Guard.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #56
xXSirSpurXx
Starter

Male

xXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot materialxXSirSpurXx is USC mascot material

Do hope we can get this kid and find room. I get we are developing the talent we already have at this point but the defining factor for the final two teams was talent, which was in part why I think we lost to Gonzaga (lots of other factors as well).
xXSirSpurXx is offline   Reply With Quote