CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeCocky2001
gotrice?
2k15
Ace Dilcock
6pack
TAFC 5 1981
GamecockSuperFan
TaySC
ShutTheSuccop
STR82HELL
2018 WBB - Cate Rees (317)
Michigander can't wa (256)
2019 - Akeem Dent (227)
Darius Rucker Gets S (221)
2019 - Jeremiah Payt (206)
Skynyrd Biopic (159)
Chris Pine's New Rol (88)
Muschamp: Only going to
*** 2017 Carolina Panther
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
NFL Draft 2017
2018 - Dax Hollifield
2018 - Tyler Shough
Who starts at cornerback?
Biggest Impact Player com
2018 WBB - Cate Reese - F
2018 WBB - Rhyne Howard -

Old 02-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #41
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESPN) recruit rankings

UPDATE: ESPN #4 overall and the #1 forwad, NaLyssa Smith, has supposedly narrowed her list down from 9 to a top 6.. According to an article released today from ProspectsNation, South Carolina did not make the top 6 along with Texas and Texas Tech. If this is true then I think it's interesting she's no longer considering two Texas schools, with only 1 more remaining under consideration.

https://prospectsnation.com/story/pl...-nalyssa-smith

Her current top 6 includes: Baylor, Connecticut, Kansas, Louisville, Ohio State and West Virginia.

UPDATE: Smith has NOT trimmed her top 9. SC is still being considered.

Last edited by DorchesterGamecock; 02-06-2017 at 09:06 PM..
DorchesterGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #42
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material

UPDATE: according to her blog, ESPN #1 overall, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, visited South Carolina for the Alabama game on 1/1/17.. She plans to take more visits soon.

Read more here.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:44 PM   #43
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

UPDATE: ESPN #15 overall and #4 guard, Elizabeth Balogun, states that "South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Baylor and Rutgers" are the schools she's hearing from the most.

Read it here.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:46 PM   #44
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

UPDATE: according to HoopGurlz, ESPN #48 overall and #8 center, Danielle Cosgrove, has a top 5 of Colorado, South Carolina, Florida, Notre Dame and Vanderbilt.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:10 PM   #45
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5000
JDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPit

Posting this here in this recruiting thread. Per David Cloninger, Tiffany Davis is forgoing a sixth year at USC giving Dawn a fifth scholarship to work with for the 2018 class (of course one of which already claimed by Destanni Henderson). Davis last year on Twitter indicated an intention to play this season and next but apparently that was derailed by her continued knee injuries. So this Sunday she'll join Alaina to celebrate Senior Day.
JDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:22 PM   #46
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDuro View Post
Posting this here in this recruiting thread. Per David Cloninger, Tiffany Davis is forgoing a sixth year at USC giving Dawn a fifth scholarship to work with for the 2018 class (of course one of which already claimed by Destanni Henderson). Davis last year on Twitter indicated an intention to play this season and next but apparently that was derailed by her continued knee injuries. So this Sunday she'll join Alaina to celebrate Senior Day.
It opens a scholarship for the 2017 class, which would be for the 2017-18 season, or next season. Had Tiffany followed through and returned for next season, she'd have been a 6th-year senior, so she'd still been graduated out of the program by the time the 2018-19 season came along, which will be Henderson's freshman season at USC. Which means whatever she decided to do for next season would have no impact whatsoever on the 2018 cycle.

The 2017 cycle is pretty much now depleted of available top-rated prospects, as most all have already signed with programs. Unless Coach Staley can find a graduate-transfer to come into the program - like Sarah Imovbioh did last season - or some as-of-yet unsigned JUCO or lower-rated prospect out of high school, I fear that Tiffany's scholarship for next season will go un-used......

USC currently has a 2017 class of 4 incoming prospects for the 2017-18 season....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:03 AM   #47
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

If I'm Dawn, I save that scholarship for the 2018 class. That class needs to be VERY good... at least top ten good, or maybe even top 5. Already off to a good start with Henderson committed.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:44 AM   #48
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

JDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPitJDuro rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
It opens a scholarship for the 2017 class, which would be for the 2017-18 season, or next season. Had Tiffany followed through and returned for next season, she'd have been a 6th-year senior, so she'd still been graduated out of the program by the time the 2018-19 season came along, which will be Henderson's freshman season at USC. Which means whatever she decided to do for next season would have no impact whatsoever on the 2018 cycle.

The 2017 cycle is pretty much now depleted of available top-rated prospects, as most all have already signed with programs. Unless Coach Staley can find a graduate-transfer to come into the program - like Sarah Imovbioh did last season - or some as-of-yet unsigned JUCO or lower-rated prospect out of high school, I fear that Tiffany's scholarship for next season will go un-used......

USC currently has a 2017 class of 4 incoming prospects for the 2017-18 season....
I've moved on into the possibilities for the '18 class that I forgot Davis' scholarship could be used for next season. If Dawn can find an impactful transfer, particularly a grad, that would be great, otherwise it's not imperative that it be used. They're plenty deep as is with the 14 slated for next season's roster.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #49
allnet43
Walk On

Male

allnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his claws

There have been really talented transfers every year, starter quality players, if we could get one with 2 years of eligibility left I would take her.
allnet43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:33 PM   #50
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnet43 View Post
There have been really talented transfers every year, starter quality players, if we could get one with 2 years of eligibility left I would take her.
Good point, but for me it depends on the transfer. If we picked up a transfer with 2 years of eligibility left then she won't be contributing next season anyway.. in that case I would only take an elite player.. an Azura Stevens type of player.

Now that we have room I can see us picking up a graduate transfer with 1 year of eligibility left, especially if there's a really good post player out there that's thinking about leaving their current school.. but I just don't see anybody on the radar.

I would much rather see us save the scholarship and take a big class in 2018.. we need to get young woman in our program that are going to be here four years and get ingrained in Dawn's system. Sometimes it helps when recruits know there is a lot of room on the roster.. look at our 2017 class... Once the class filled up, Evina Westbrook debated for a long time about visiting SC (and I'm convinced she was going to commit to us) but she no longer decided to visit because of the perception of there not being anymore room... I had a good feeling since last year that Tiffany Davis wasn't coming back, but had Westbrook known that she'd likely be a Gamecock right now instead of a Lady Volunteer... and that's the number 2 recruit in the 2017 class we missed on.

I say we keep the scholarship and take as many elite players as possible in 2018. We need to replenish. We lose a lot in 2018.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #51
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Thing is, we really can't as a staff recruit graduate transfers to transfer to USC - unless they sort of put it out in the public domain that they want to transfer for their final year of college eligibility, and are taking applications. And that isn't usually how its done.

Otherwise, what our staff would have to do, is something that is generally considered a big no-no in the college coaching community, if not considered down-right unethical by the NCAA or by conferences that any college is a part of: recruiting a college student-athlete that is enrolled in another school and part of another program, to leave them and come play for yours.

If the young woman or her representatives make contact with Coach Staley and her staff, and initiate discussions about transferring, then that's another thing. But it would be more of a case of a valuable player of need falling into our laps here: we need bigs far more than we need guards right now. Will there be bigs out there who have already graduated from their school, that will want to come play their final years for us?

Beyond the JUCOs and lower-rated kids out of high school that I mentioned above, that's about all that's left available that we could use Tiffany's scholarship on. Otherwise, its wasted for next year. After that it was going to be expired anyways, so there's no "saving" the scholarship for 2018 anyways, as it wouldn't apply to the 2018 class to begin with. It's either do something with it for next season (2017-18) or waste it....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #52
VBCock
4-Star

Male

VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorchesterGamecock View Post
Good point, but for me it depends on the transfer. If we picked up a transfer with 2 years of eligibility left then she won't be contributing next season anyway.. in that case I would only take an elite player.. an Azura Stevens type of player.

Now that we have room I can see us picking up a graduate transfer with 1 year of eligibility left, especially if there's a really good post player out there that's thinking about leaving their current school.. but I just don't see anybody on the radar.

I would much rather see us save the scholarship and take a big class in 2018.. we need to get young woman in our program that are going to be here four years and get ingrained in Dawn's system. Sometimes it helps when recruits know there is a lot of room on the roster.. look at our 2017 class... Once the class filled up, Evina Westbrook debated for a long time about visiting SC (and I'm convinced she was going to commit to us) but she no longer decided to visit because of the perception of there not being anymore room... I had a good feeling since last year that Tiffany Davis wasn't coming back, but had Westbrook known that she'd likely be a Gamecock right now instead of a Lady Volunteer... and that's the number 2 recruit in the 2017 class we missed on.

I say we keep the scholarship and take as many elite players as possible in 2018. We need to replenish. We lose a lot in 2018.

If they can find a graduate transfer who could be another rotation piece in the post, I think that would be a very good get.

Or a shooter off the bench.

At this point, you aren't looking for a starter, just experienced depth. And probably not a player who looks to score.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #53
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
If they can find a graduate transfer who could be another rotation piece in the post, I think that would be a very good get.

Or a shooter off the bench.

At this point, you aren't looking for a starter, just experienced depth. And probably not a player who looks to score.
Good point.

Also, anybody at the game yesterday with any insight on who the recruits were that attended. Nikki alluded to having some recruits on campus before and after. I've been looking around but having been able to find out anything. It was a Sunday game, a big one at that.. with a packed house so I'm sure we had several on hand.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #54
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

USC and the fans put out a great showcase for recruits yesterday so hopefully there were a good number of recruits in for the UK game. The love towards Tiff and Lay was immense. The two sided placard fans and the little picture booklets were a great touch.

I didn't see any recognizable recruits (seemed a lot harder to spot recruits in CLA this year than it was in past years), but I did catch this tweet from 2020 PG recruit Loyal McQueen (Florence, SC), expressing she had a great visit.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #55
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

UPDATE: ESPN #6 overall and #1 wing, Aquira DeCosta, recently reintroduced South Carolina to the list of schools she's considering. South Carolina was trimmed from her list during the last cut but has since rejoined... one can only think Henderson's commitment to SC has something to do with it (they played USA Basketball together).

DeCosta is now considering South Carolina, Washington, Tennessee, Louisville, UCLA, Baylor and Oklahoma.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #56
DorchesterGamecock
Two Deep

Male

UPDATE: ESPN #12 overall and #3 guard, Zarielle Green, has a top five of South Carolina, Texas A&M, Baylor, UCLA and Kansas.

Green is attending Duncanville H.S., the same high school of former Tennessee great Tamika Catchings.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #57
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 400
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
UPDATE: ESPN #12 overall and #3 guard, Zarielle Green, has a top five of South Carolina, Texas A&M, Baylor, UCLA and Kansas.

Green is attending Duncanville H.S., the same high school of former Tennessee great Tamika Catchings.
Hmmmm..dropped UT (among others)....I am liking her more already!
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #58
Spur20001
Blue Chip

Male

Spur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudlySpur20001 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDuro View Post
Yes, this is something I predicted several weeks ago. I look for Dawn to bring in another player or quality transfer for the 17 class.

Last edited by Spur20001; 03-06-2017 at 07:05 PM..
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:56 AM   #59
JDuro
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
UPDATE: ESPN #4 overall and the #1 forwad, NaLyssa Smith, has supposedly narrowed her list down from 9 to a top 6.. According to an article released today from ProspectsNation, South Carolina did not make the top 6 along with Texas and Texas Tech. If this is true then I think it's interesting she's no longer considering two Texas schools, with only 1 more remaining under consideration.

https://prospectsnation.com/story/pl...-nalyssa-smith

Her current top 6 includes: Baylor, Connecticut, Kansas, Louisville, Ohio State and West Virginia.

UPDATE: Smith has NOT trimmed her top 9. SC is still being considered.
NaLyssa posted on Twitter tonight she'll be announcing her school choice on August 28, her brother's birthday.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:57 PM   #60
Phillygamecock
4-Star

Male

Phillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudlyPhillygamecock is crowing loudly

This is what the team looks like in 2018 - 2019 based solely on seniority. I think we look for another guard and a post player to finish off the class. That would give us a total of 14 players assuming no transfers.

1 - Harris (Jr), Bradshaw (Jr), Henderson (Fr)
2 - Patrick (Jr), Troup (So)
3 - Cliney (Sr), Grisett (So), Jackson (So)
4 - Herbert-Harrigan (Jr), Williams (So)
5 - Jennings (Sr)
Phillygamecock is offline   Reply With Quote