CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
spareparts
Y Formation
taylorssc
SwampFox
Three and Out
ShutTheSuccop
GeoCocky66
Ace Dilcock
Master Bedroom
uscGRAD04
What Are Your Favori (106)
Describe this offsea (55)
You Decide (45)
Music Thread: Day 18 (15)
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
new D1 projections
2018 Commitment - Maxwell
Describe this offseason i
Last Three Years
‘They deserve it’: LSU co
Men's team next season
You Decide
Limestone men's lacrosse
Lindy's and Athlon's are

Old 01-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #21
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material
Default Re: *** 2017 Carolina Panthers off season / draft / season thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
So will a lot of fans. That would be about as dumb a decision as I can imagine.

I really can't see Gettleman doing that though as he built the Giants into SB winners by focusing on the trenches.
We won't.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #22
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCooper1 View Post
Glad to hear that I don't like people who think losing is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Generalities from simpletons. Good talk.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #23
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

The thing about the draft imho is that it's not about fixes. We need OL, true. But drafting OL isn't likely going to fix the OL this year. You want to draft the guy you think is going to be a difference maker 3 or 4 years down the road. That's how the successful gms operate. If they make an immediate impact, that's a bonus. But you can't expect it from any one player, no matter how highly rated they are.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #24
GoldenSpur7
obscurum per obscurius

Male

CockyCash: 200
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Gettleman has had dubious results picking RB's - Artis-Payne hasn't done much, Kenjon Barner didn't last two seasons, there was a Stanford guy who got cut before camp. I think these were all 6-7 round picks, need to maybe find some value in middle rounds. But still no way we should take Fournette. As I said in the other thread, his patience and vision don't really match his speed and strength. Also was banged up all season.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #25
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

CockyCash: 500
USCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyDevil View Post
The thing about the draft imho is that it's not about fixes. We need OL, true. But drafting OL isn't likely going to fix the OL this year. You want to draft the guy you think is going to be a difference maker 3 or 4 years down the road. That's how the successful gms operate. If they make an immediate impact, that's a bonus. But you can't expect it from any one player, no matter how highly rated they are.

The end is nigh.. we know.

USCooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #26
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
Gettleman has had dubious results picking RB's - Artis-Payne hasn't done much, Kenjon Barner didn't last two seasons, there was a Stanford guy who got cut before camp. I think these were all 6-7 round picks, need to maybe find some value in middle rounds. But still no way we should take Fournette. As I said in the other thread, his patience and vision don't really match his speed and strength. Also was banged up all season.
Running backs are a complete crap shoot as far as drafting. Even in the first round. For example, looking at this years crop of contract running backs (those drafted in 12)

Trent Richardson (3) Out of the League
Doug Martin (31) Borderline star but oft injured
David Wilson (32) Out of the League
Isiah Pead (50) 100 rushingcareer yards. Career is done due to car accident
Lamichael James (61) Out of the league. Less than 200 career rushing yards
Ronnie Hillman (67) Reserve running back who had 1 decent season.
Bernard Pierce (84) Out of the league. Decent goal line option for a couple years
Lamar Miller (97) Solid running back with two 1000 yard seasons under his belt
Robert Turbin (106) Reserve rb with 1000 career yards
Bradie Ewing (157) Out of the league with 0 career rushes
Chris Rainey (158) Out of the league after 2 years
Vick Ballard (170) Had an 800 yard rookie year but now out of the league
Alfred Morris (171) 4 one thousand yard seasons. Solid career already, but now a backup
Cyrus Gray (182) 3 year career. 99 yards rushing
Dan Herron (191) Out of the league. 500 career rushing yards
Terrance Ganaway (202) Played in 2 games. 0 career rushing yards
Michael Smith (212) 1 career game. 0 rushes.
Bryce Brown (229) Had some serviceable seasons as a back up but out of the league now
Brad Smelley (247) 2 year career. Caught one pass for 3 yards.
Edwin Baker (250) 2 year career with 2 starts. Rushed for 170 yards total
Daryl Richardson (252) Still in the league as a special teamer. Has 700 career rushing yards.

So if you draft a running back, odds are he wont make it through one contract...
Old 01-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #27
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
The end is nigh.. we know.

Why do you keep trying to initiate conversation with me?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #28
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

USCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot materialUSCooper1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Why do you keep trying to initiate conversation with me?

Why do you think it's ok to lose

Old 01-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #29
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Why do you think it's ok to lose

You should ask someone. Not me. It'd be mutually beneficial.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #30
HHess
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 7382743
HHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudly

Panthers will trade Cam Newton for 2 1st round picks. They will then draft Deshawn Watson and Christian McCaffrey

HHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #31
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHess View Post
Panthers will trade Cam Newton for 2 1st round picks. They will then draft Deshawn Watson and Christian McCaffrey

Why would we want the poor mans Cam Newton?
Old 01-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #32
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

Quote:
You should ask someone. Not me. It'd be mutually beneficial.

You need to convince yourself not me brah

Old 01-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #33
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
You need to convince yourself not me brah

Yea. The insecure one here is the guy who won't drop anything. Check that mirror, homie.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #34
USCooper1
Double Secret Probation

Male

Quote:
Yea. The insecure one here is the guy who won't drop anything. Check that mirror, homie.

I'm a certified G brah

Old 01-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #35
G&BGamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
I see your point, but I also think there is a difference between someone drafted in the top 10 and someone drafted at the back end. Take OL for instance from last year. The first 4 OT were all taken in the first 16 picks. All of them started and all of them were considered very productive players. Ronnie Stanley in Baltimore was hurt early, but PFF graded him as the best LT in the NFL over the final 5 weeks. Jack Conklin was an alternate for the Pro Bowl - granted he played RT all of the year, but still impressive. Tunsil played well at RT for the Fins. Taylor Decker played LT all year for the Lions and he graded out as one of the better tackles in the league this year. At some point you have to find a guy to play LT and protect the franchise. Going bargain hunting for a LT and stumbling on a great one doesn't work very often because they rarely hit free agency. At some point you need to bite the bullet and draft one, even if there is a skill guy that may be able to contribute a little more earlier. Might as well jump on one this year because you are far more likely to get a good one at 8 than in the mid 20s. I'm not suggesting we reach and draft one for the sake of drafting one, but if the best one in the draft is sitting there then you have to take him.
G&BGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #36
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&BGamecock View Post
I see your point, but I also think there is a difference between someone drafted in the top 10 and someone drafted at the back end. Take OL for instance from last year. The first 4 OT were all taken in the first 16 picks. All of them started and all of them were considered very productive players. Ronnie Stanley in Baltimore was hurt early, but PFF graded him as the best LT in the NFL over the final 5 weeks. Jack Conklin was an alternate for the Pro Bowl - granted he played RT all of the year, but still impressive. Tunsil played well at RT for the Fins. Taylor Decker played LT all year for the Lions and he graded out as one of the better tackles in the league this year. At some point you have to find a guy to play LT and protect the franchise. Going bargain hunting for a LT and stumbling on a great one doesn't work very often because they rarely hit free agency. At some point you need to bite the bullet and draft one, even if there is a skill guy that may be able to contribute a little more earlier. Might as well jump on one this year because you are far more likely to get a good one at 8 than in the mid 20s. I'm not suggesting we reach and draft one for the sake of drafting one, but if the best one in the draft is sitting there then you have to take him.
That is true about there hardly ever being tackles on the market (and the ones that are on the market always get MASSIVELY overpaid) but this year there just isn't a top 10 graded tackle out there. I've seen Ryan Ramzyck and Cam Robinson get mid 1st round grades at best and a few services have neither with first round grades. If a guy like Lamp from WKU is available in the 2nd, I will be ecstatic. But I think it will be a dissapointment if we take Robinson or Ramzyck in the 9th slot.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:30 PM   #37
GoldenSpur7
obscurum per obscurius

Male

CockyCash: 200
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Panthers’ Michael Oher still in concussion protocol after 4 months, Ron Rivera confirms
LT, just sayin ....
Old 02-04-2017, 01:10 AM   #38
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101850400
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
He should retire.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:49 AM   #39
Ahmad
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2304200828
Ahmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot materialAhmad is USC mascot material

Any of you guys play any of the mock draft games?
Ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:03 AM   #40
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101850400
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
Any of you guys play any of the mock draft games?
No and can you elaborate please.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote