CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
markymark550
Cockhornleghorn
Ace Dilcock
Gamecocks1137
SanAntonioCock
Spur's Addiction
2k15
gamecockfootball62
TAFC 5 1981
PalmettoCockZ71
2017 NCAA Tournament (13891)
**Game #3 USC (16-6) (1514)
Don't underestimate (1217)
Final Four Rollcall (1059)
Yeah...I'm crying (1028)
WHAAAAT THE HELL???? (1014)
Where is Baseline Je (720)
MBB Elite 8 Presser (660)
Retire #0 (641)
Watching the SC/UF G (573)
2018 MBB Zion Williamson
Don't underestimate Gonza
CBB: SOUTH CAROLINA @ FLO
2017 NCAA Tournament:**US
Basketball Game on The Be
Retire #0
lucky 7s
Hey Old Timers! How does
Yeah...I'm crying
Thornwell Draft Stock

Old 01-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
Ironfan
Bowl MVP

CockyCash: 1600
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material
Default MBB recruiting. Shooters

When is FM gonna starting recruiting some shooters?
Ironfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?
Default Re: MBB recruiting. Shooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
You do realize even with the last 2 games of poor shooting we're still 6th in terms of percentage from beyond the arc in the SEC right? We have solid shooters, the downside is sometimes shooters go cold.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
Three and Out
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Three and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
Blanton looked pretty good yesterday and even Frank said he should have given him more minutes. He probably is not as good defensively, but he can shoot.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645173229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

If Blanton keeps improving that will give us a huge lift.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #5
doublea1971
Hoops Fanatic

Male

doublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot materialdoublea1971 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
If Blanton keeps improving that will give us a huge lift.
I don't want to sound like Debbie Downer here, because I truly love the fact that Blanton played the minutes he did yesterday AND that he had a career high.

But Coach Martin himself said in the post-game interview that Blanton is still having difficulty with his hip and that he can't get up and down the court with the speed he needs to.

Blanton may be able to shoot the daylights out of the ball from the outside, but unfortunately due to the injury he's not going to give us the defensive presence we need from his position.

I TRULY respect Temarcus and I LOVE the fact that he's overcome his injury and is still playing basketball at a pretty high level. The fact of the matter is, Coach Martin is loyal to his guys, and Temarcus is still on scholarship and practicing knowing that he's not going to get THAT much playing time, but WILL get a great college education.

I wish I had better things to say about him (because he could honestly be an asset as a shooter), but I honestly don't think he's going to ever give us more than 5 minutes per contest barring severe bench depletion.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #6
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

The answer is probably never. Martins offense just doesn't cater to elite shooters. When a team like UK can effectively seal off the paint, it will make life hard on us. Let's remember that UK is still UK.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
DJ35
Blue Chip

Male

DJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyDevil View Post
The answer is probably never. Martins offense just doesn't cater to elite shooters. When a team like UK can effectively seal off the paint, it will make life hard on us. Let's remember that UK is still UK.
Doesn't cater to elite shooters??.. What would you call Jacob Pullen? I seem to recall he scored a lot of points from beyond the arc in Frank Martin's offense..
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
DJ35
Blue Chip

Male

DJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
You do realize even with the last 2 games of poor shooting we're still 6th in terms of percentage from beyond the arc in the SEC right? We have solid shooters, the downside is sometimes shooters go cold.
Solid shooters don't disappear for a number of games at a time.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #9
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ35 View Post
Solid shooters don't disappear for a number of games at a time.
Actually that is what solid shooters do from time to time. Shooting is streaky. Elite shooters rarely ever hit a cold streak which is what makes them elite. We don't have elite shooters, we do have solid shooters and our percentages back that up.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #10
DJ35
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Actually that is what solid shooters do from time to time. Shooting is streaky. Elite shooters rarely ever hit a cold streak which is what makes them elite. We don't have elite shooters, we do have solid shooters and our percentages back that up.
Actually solid shooters may go cold for a half, or a game, or maybe a couple games. They don't score near 30 one game and disappear for 4 or 5, and score around 30 again and vanish for 5 or 6 more. That doesn't say you're a solid shooter. That says you're really not that good a shooter, but you can have a hot hand every now and then.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #11
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Actually solid shooters may go cold for a half, or a game, or maybe a couple games. They don't score near 30 one game and disappear for 4 or 5, and score around 30 again and vanish for 5 or 6 more. That doesn't say you're a solid shooter. That says you're really not that good a shooter, but you can have a hot hand every now and then.
You're thinking of Notice specifically. Felder, Dozier, and Thornwell are all 39.4% or better from beyond the arc. Notice has been the one who has been disappointing and streakier than he normally is. Still I have faith he can get his touch back because he was a solid shooter for his first 3 seasons, the numbers back that up. I'm not going to sit here and argue we have a group of elite shooters because we don't but solid is a very good description for them.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
DJ35
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
You're thinking of Notice specifically. Felder, Dozier, and Thornwell are all 39.4% or better from beyond the arc. Notice has been the one who has been disappointing and streakier than he normally is. Still I have faith he can get his touch back because he was a solid shooter for his first 3 seasons, the numbers back that up. I'm not going to sit here and argue we have a group of elite shooters because we don't but solid is a very good description for them.
Man I don't want to argue at all. I just agree with the OP. I'd like to see us recruit and land good shooters. Defense is great and believe me I love to watch our guys play D, but ultimately you have to put the ball in the basket and score points to win games.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:54 PM   #13
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Man I don't want to argue at all. I just agree with the OP. I'd like to see us recruit and land good shooters. Defense is great and believe me I love to watch our guys play D, but ultimately you have to put the ball in the basket and score points to win games.
You can win many ways fortunately. I'd love to see us play this level of defense with Nova type shooters but until we have some tourney success that won't be happening. The guys that can shoot the lights out of the gym on a pretty consistent basis and aren't liabilities on defense are generally sought by the top programs and we have to have success to sell them on before they'll consider us.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:13 PM   #14
beak2
Blue Chip

Male

beak2 is crowing loudlybeak2 is crowing loudlybeak2 is crowing loudlybeak2 is crowing loudlybeak2 is crowing loudlybeak2 is crowing loudlybeak2 is crowing loudlybeak2 is crowing loudlybeak2 is crowing loudlybeak2 is crowing loudlybeak2 is crowing loudly

Defense is most important, but you do have to have players you can count on to put the ball thru the hoop when needed.

beak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #15
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 335
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Gravatt was recruited as a shooter and has looked good at times, despite missing some games. Felder has been a pleasant surprise, accurate shooter if he has room (which is not that often due to being short and shooting flat-footed).

Of our incoming guys, both Holden and Beatty are shooters/scorers and Doumbia is supposed to be an athlete and a good shooter.

The disappointments yesterday were two Seniors, Notice and McKie. Notice is on a season-long cold streak. Our shooting will be better next year plus we have reinforcements coming inside with Haase and Cudd, and Gueye/Keita will be better. We finally won't have to do the foul watch thing for Silva and Kotsar every game.

But - Frank will always go with athleticism over shooting. Shooting can be learned, athleticism can't.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #16
DJ35
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
You can win many ways fortunately. I'd love to see us play this level of defense with Nova type shooters but until we have some tourney success that won't be happening. The guys that can shoot the lights out of the gym on a pretty consistent basis and aren't liabilities on defense are generally sought by the top programs and we have to have success to sell them on before they'll consider us.
Agreed.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:36 PM   #17
Three and Out
4-Star

Male

Three and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talonsThree and Out has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea1971 View Post
I don't want to sound like Debbie Downer here, because I truly love the fact that Blanton played the minutes he did yesterday AND that he had a career high.

But Coach Martin himself said in the post-game interview that Blanton is still having difficulty with his hip and that he can't get up and down the court with the speed he needs to.

Blanton may be able to shoot the daylights out of the ball from the outside, but unfortunately due to the injury he's not going to give us the defensive presence we need from his position.

I TRULY respect Temarcus and I LOVE the fact that he's overcome his injury and is still playing basketball at a pretty high level. The fact of the matter is, Coach Martin is loyal to his guys, and Temarcus is still on scholarship and practicing knowing that he's not going to get THAT much playing time, but WILL get a great college education.

I wish I had better things to say about him (because he could honestly be an asset as a shooter), but I honestly don't think he's going to ever give us more than 5 minutes per contest barring severe bench depletion.
Play zone when he's in the game......that would help with Silva too.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:04 PM   #18
Three and Out
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Your stats for all our games are misleading. Our team shooting in SEC games from 3 is 32.4%. Plus our shooting from 2 is 41.5%. Statistically, we should shoot from 3 every time. What bothers me even more, neither Notice or McKie want the ball in their hands to shoot. Neither is good at getting their on shot. Once teams see this, it's going to make it harder for us to shoot from distance, which will do nothing except put more pressure on Sin and PJ. All players on the court have to at least be a threat to score.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #19
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
youre going to need to find a new coach then. defense will be our hallmark
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:58 PM   #20
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

Quote:
Doesn't cater to elite shooters??.. What would you call Jacob Pullen? I seem to recall he scored a lot of points from beyond the arc in Frank Martin's offense..
He did. But he didn't become an "elite" shooter till his junior year. He also did a lot of other things too. And he's one guy. Also, regardless of what Pullen did, Frank has never run a perimeter oriented offense at any point.